PDA

View Full Version : NSW Matchplay Final

Grunt
12th August 2006, 07:09 PM
Well we have our finalists.
Congrats to both Andrew & Jim for making the final. I thought I would start a post that they can organise a final in. No rush guys as the limit was the Championships, so you have about 10 weeks.

jimandr
20th August 2006, 08:35 PM
Negotiations have progressed successfully.

At this stage it looks like our Match will take place on Friday 8 September, at Dunheved. We'll try to get a booking between 8.30 and 9.00.

If anyone is available to join us, I'll start the cut and paste list as follows:

1. Jimandr
2. Andrew

Andrew's last recorded game was 22 points (although he claims he didn't play out some holes), mine 'about' 24. In this form, the match should draw world-wide media attention and massive crowds.

We didn't choose Dunheved for its ability to cope with crowds of spectators. Of the Friday Open Day venues, Dunheved is one I haven't played at for about 15 years. I recall it being an enjoyable and fair course.

amanda
21st August 2006, 08:35 AM
I'd like to come along to this - where is Dunheved?

1. Jimandr
2. Andrew
3. amanda (in pencil)

Grunt
21st August 2006, 11:19 AM
Count me in for this one.

Andrew
21st August 2006, 02:35 PM
Count me in for this one as well.

Oh, hang on. I've gotta be there.

jimandr
21st August 2006, 08:27 PM
It is back to the negotiation drawing board. Dunheved's pro-am is on that day, so Amanda won't have to brave the backblocks of the North St Mary's industrial area.

If we stay on Friday 8th, best options appear to be Oatlands or Ryde Parramatta. Both are quite expensive ($50+) as an Open Day venue.

PM sent to Andrew.

Stay tuned.

AndyP
21st August 2006, 09:27 PM
How about Pacific Harbour on October 28?

Virgal_Tracy
1st September 2006, 09:37 AM
Where is this being played? Am interested may be available.

Andrew
1st September 2006, 12:23 PM
Where is this being played? Am interested may be available.

Still working on it.

We have tried a few places, but have been unsuccessful.

The last option was Oatlands, but they have a corporate day on next Friday & are not holding an Open day. Dunheved & Twin Creeks have been ruled out as well.

amanda
1st September 2006, 03:16 PM
Geez - we may have to try Tree Valley!

miro
1st September 2006, 03:58 PM
The mighty Tree Valley -the first course I allowed Alison to swing a club on in public. Ah the memories!! A time gone by when I clearly did not have to worry about her beating me off the stick. ;)

Andrew
1st September 2006, 04:27 PM
I've taken my 6 year old there a few times. We generally get there very early, because the first time I took him there was mid-morning when the course had a fair few golfers on it, & quite frankly, I feared for my life.

Miro,

Is next Friday (8th Sept) at R-P a normal open day comp. That maybe our best option, if Jim is happy with that.

Andrew
1st September 2006, 08:23 PM
Having sent a PM, & had a reply from Jim, I will look to book 4 spots at Richmond for next Friday at about 9am.

amanda
2nd September 2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks Andrew.

Can I car pool with someone? I'm happy to meet them at their place and leave my car there.

Andrew
2nd September 2006, 02:52 PM
I have booked 4 spots at Richmond GC for 8:48am.

If we need more spots, I'll see what I can do. I'm sure their open days have plenty of spots mid-morning.

Grunt
4th September 2006, 05:48 PM
I'm in, another reciprocal Bathurst Club :p

jimandr
4th September 2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks Andrew.

Can I car pool with someone? I'm happy to meet them at their place and leave my car there.

Suggestion: As I know where Grant lives, and I know we can't really park another car at his house, I should pick Grant up and drive him to Richmond. Then Amanda can go to Andrew's house and share with him (if Andrew agrees and there is parking near his house).

Amanda is welcome to drive to my house, but it is another 10 minutes away from the M5 and M7 junction, in the 'wrong' direction.

Either way, I'll be there and I'll enjoy it, even though I'm not in good form at the moment.

Can I ask/remind Grant or Amanda to bring the camera and take a photo of the presentation of the 'trophy'.

amanda
5th September 2006, 08:40 AM
Jim - thanks for the suggestion. I'll contact Andrew (I'm still waiting to find out if I can play as apparently the Fri comp is mens only - Andrew's trying to sort something out)

If I'm there - I'll bring a camera.

Virgal_Tracy
5th September 2006, 09:43 AM
I've thrown my name in for this one. Figured I'd have to see the winner out of my two victors from this and last year. I can do the lift thing if people want. Plenty of room in the station wagon for bags and buggy's

jimandr
8th September 2006, 04:00 PM
I see the others have been gracious enough to let me announce the result.

Jimandr defeated Andrew 5&3.

After I had missed a 2ft putt for the win on 1, then lost the second after having to take a penalty from a bunker on 2, I couldn't see my name appearing on the "trophy" this year. But neither of us were playing well, so it was all square after 6. At this point Grant asked about the score. I told him, and said, 'we are both hacking it, if one of us starts playing well, that person will win'.

On 7 Andrew drew a bad lie in the fairway, hit it behind a tree, then smashed his next into a second tree and rebounded out of bounds. He conceded the hole, but I played a good hole, birdied 8, parred 9 and got good lead.

From this point Andrew lost a bit of interest and I was lucky enough to keep playing well enough to win.

I didn't need to play my secret weapon, which was to tell Andrew that the winner had to organise next years event.

Grant took one photo on his mobile. I don't know whether it will be good enough to post.

Lots of funny things happened. I'll see if the others post on this thread or on the Richmond first tee thread before expanding on a few incidents.

Jarro
8th September 2006, 04:08 PM
Congrats Jim :)

Andrew
8th September 2006, 08:41 PM
I must congratulate Jim on the fine effort of winning back to back matchplay competitions. He was by far the better golfer on the day & deserved the win. His short game was extremely consistent & thwarted me on any occasion I looked like I might win a hole.

Well done, Jim.

AndyP
9th September 2006, 08:22 AM
Well done, Jim. Back-to-back titles is pretty impressive.

Shazza made sure that wouldn't happen up here.

Grunt
10th September 2006, 07:07 AM
Congrats Jim on defending your crown, maybe a treble for next year.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4100/picture31yq8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sorry for the poor quality pic, I forgot to take the camera to the day. Pic taken with mobile phone.

Ok for all the rest of us NSW OzGolfers, well done to those of us who played this year and good to see we got our games played fairly quickly. I will get stuck into organising next year after the champs in October/November. Hopefully next year we can move up in field size a little and get a full draw.

Result are updated and Finalised in the results thread. Can the admin update the Honour Bourd?

AndyP
10th September 2006, 03:46 PM
Can the admin update the Honour Bourd?
No, that's Courty's bag.

Flowergirl
10th September 2006, 08:34 PM
Congrats Jim on a fine win. Back to back. Top effort there mate.:mrgreen: