PDA

View Full Version : Losing motivation

JoeS
9th April 2019, 04:58 PM
Finding it hard to keep motivated for golf,I might blame the Vic Champs,maybe even Barnbougle.3 rounds of pennants and I probably think more about wanting to go back and play Dunes and lost farm than my next opponent for pennant.Feel like I am losing the competitive drive,I just want to play golf and work on my cap.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ferrins
9th April 2019, 05:12 PM
Mark your golf with a smiley face.

WBennett
9th April 2019, 05:19 PM
Finding it hard to keep motivated for golf,I might blame the Vic Champs,maybe even Barnbougle.3 rounds of pennants and I probably think more about wanting to go back and play Dunes and lost farm than my next opponent for pennant.Feel like I am losing the competitive drive,I just want to play golf and work on my cap.Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk I came home from Tassie with a bung elbow and knee. I didnt want to play any more. Then 2 or so weeks ago I played with my mates, had a couple of beers, laughed at all the stupid shit and golf was fun again. This week I am excited. Royal Canberra, then a round with Monstra, Jerry Springer and SMS. Fun is back.

BUSHY
9th April 2019, 05:47 PM
Joe my only advice is to roll with it, if its the competitive side that isn’t giving you the enjoyment it once was focus on what is giving you the motivation to play.

For me it’s more the joy of being out there with mates having a good time, hitting good shots, getting 4-5hrs without having to think about anything but the shot you’re trying to hit.

Once I embraced that idea, every time I slung my bag over my shoulder was a joyful experience.

3oneday
9th April 2019, 05:53 PM
Drink beer

Grumpy8
9th April 2019, 06:03 PM
Finding it hard to keep motivated for golf,I might blame the Vic Champs,maybe even Barnbougle.3 rounds of pennants and I probably think more about wanting to go back and play Dunes and lost farm than my next opponent for pennant.Feel like I am losing the competitive drive,I just want to play golf and work on my cap.Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkI am itching to play but can’t , set your self some goals and make a plan on how to achieve them .also go play a few fun/social rounds

Captain Nemo
9th April 2019, 06:22 PM
Drink beer

Mmmm, beer!:wink:

Dotty
9th April 2019, 06:43 PM
Is this major pennant that's getting you down?
i.e. The best 7 players in your club playing the best 7 players of another club.

Or is it some mickey mouse matchplay event, determined by handicap or age, that is pretending to be important?

thecollective
9th April 2019, 06:49 PM
Give pennant the flick after this year - play for the love of the game, not just to beat some handicapped player each week.

JoeS
9th April 2019, 07:06 PM
Is this major pennant that's getting you down?
i.e. The best 7 players in your club playing the best 7 players of another club.

Or is it some mickey mouse matchplay event, determined by handicap or age, that is pretending to be important?That latter.Div 4The team captain gets pretty into it,I reckon I just prefer to play golf and when someone asks for a side bet then let's go.Another thing that has me down on pennant a bit,we have played 3 matches,2 of those matches I was on the course for 5 1/2 hrs.TO BLOODY SLOW.Why can't we just play ready golf and get on with it.No,not your turn,who is further away,can I wipe the mud from my ball,is this 50foot gum tree staked,can I get relief from a tree root, hit it into the shit,no I think I will go look for it and then when I can't find it,walk back and hit another even though it is a par 3 and the first was clearly gone.Bloody rules police

JoeS
9th April 2019, 07:09 PM
Give pennant the flick after this year - play for the love of the game, not just to beat some handicapped player each week.I play it because it gives me a chance to play other courses and meet new people,and haven't met a cockhead yet.Rules,rules,rules,take it in turn.Not having fun

sms316
9th April 2019, 07:21 PM
I play it because it gives me a chance to play other courses and meet new people,and haven't met a cockhead yet.Rules,rules,rules,take it in turn.Not having funSent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk Go to Huonville

JoeS
9th April 2019, 07:55 PM
Go to HuonvilleI would pack a 12guage for my 15th club

Ferrins
9th April 2019, 08:03 PM
Go to Huonville

Dover gc

Pickles
9th April 2019, 09:57 PM
Just get out there and enjoy the nice weather while we have it down in Victoria. Going to be plenty of rounds over winter when you get home after an awful round, questioning why you played in the first place.

JoeS
13th April 2019, 06:36 PM
Just get out there and enjoy the nice weather while we have it down in Victoria. Going to be plenty of rounds over winter when you get home after an awful round, questioning why you played in the first place.Did that today,good group and had fun.I was pretty relaxed and played better than expected.Club golf seems to be where it is for me.Playing Ringwood away tomorrow,going in confident and looking to play smart

Yossarian
14th April 2019, 08:14 PM
I, like you, was struggling to enjoy golf.

Late arvo, twilight rounds with a half set and the dog tagging along have reinvigorated me and I've actually (I think and hope) fixed a long standing issue that has me actually chipping and pitching the ball like a normal human.

wazamac
15th April 2019, 06:49 PM
Completely lost interest in the game giving away my membership, a strong point to give away was the fact I couldn't manage to get anywhere near my hcp for
well over 12 months. This plus paying over $2000 a year which pays for flights to Asia twice a year which I enjoy more.
Just play the stuff around social rounds, approx. once a month, and starting to enjoy it a bit more now.

Jono
15th April 2019, 11:38 PM
Completely lost interest in the game giving away my membership, a strong point to give away was the fact I couldn't manage to get anywhere near my hcp forwell over 12 months. This plus paying over $2000 a year which pays for flights to Asia twice a year which I enjoy more.Just play the stuff around social rounds, approx. once a month, and starting to enjoy it a bit more now. I think this is the way to go if the passion for the game is gone. It’s a game in the end and should never be a chore or a burden. I gave away the game for 4 years after my shoulder surgery and didn’t miss it. Having said that, my love of this game is at an all time high and Tiger’s win has only sparked my enthusiasm even more.

wazamac
16th April 2019, 08:16 AM
Yes, very true.
Last time I lost the passion I just walked away for a few years not playing a game, and not missing it at all.
This time I just ended my membership, sold 85% of all my equipment, clubs and club making stuff, and just left myself with 1 other set of irons which I may still sell may regular gamers.
Only thing I may buy for golf in the future would be a hybrid.

Jarro
17th April 2019, 04:28 PM
Drink beer[emoji106]

JoeS
17th April 2019, 07:26 PM
Had an early finish today,so ventured out to the course and just played.I played a scoring ball,but also dropped balls as I went around to play different shots.No distractions,no fuss,no traffic,I almost had the course to myself.I saw probably 3 other people on the course,no pressure to keep moving so I took advantage and slow played and took it all in.
When dropping an extra ball,I would try to play a shot that I would never consider.On the first I dropped 1 in the middle of the fairway 175m out and hit a 6 iron that I closed the face on and try to get it to release and run up onto the green,and it almost made it to.Dropped a ball on the 3rd 25m short of the green and putted it on,I would always 8 iron run that shot.And so on.As for the scoring ball,it had a couple of birdies and a bunch of pars.Something still not right with my putting,cost me 2 birdies from inside 6 feet.Had an eagle putt on the 3rd,left it 3 inches short from back of green uphill.
Certainly preferred a social round to that of pennant

Matt 3 Jab
18th April 2019, 06:28 PM
Can relate to a lot of this.

Don't enjoy my golf of late. Like the people I play with but just do not want to play a competition round. No fun being off "2" and not breaking 80. No desire to practice any more. Was on the range a few weeks ago and had a "what am I even doing here" moment after a few shanks.

Will either give the lot away at end of June (looking very likely) and play socially a few times a year or will restrict to 12 games a year at the course with a social membership with 0 comp rounds.

There's a lot more to life than chopping it I've found.

Toolish
19th April 2019, 09:36 PM
Can relate to a lot of this.

Don't enjoy my golf of late. Like the people I play with but just do not want to play a competition round. No fun being off "2" and not breaking 80. No desire to practice any more. Was on the range a few weeks ago and had a "what am I even doing here" moment after a few shanks.

Will either give the lot away at end of June (looking very likely) and play socially a few times a year or will restrict to 12 games a year at the course with a social membership with 0 comp rounds.

There's a lot more to life than chopping it I've found.

Feeling similar, had a run of great golf for me early this year which got me down to 2.0, then for the last 7 rounds not one that is flagged for handicap, last round was 27 points. I keep tossing up between having a break and doubling down to work harder.

Worst thing is we are right in the middle of Open season then into pennant so it should be the most motivating part of the year!

oldracer
20th April 2019, 07:21 AM
I hear u guys bemoaning the lack of motivation, be happy you can walk the course and swing the club, the alternative is certainly far worse.

Matt 3 Jab
20th April 2019, 11:55 AM
You're are right. I should be seeing that side. But unfortunately I do not feel that way. And that's why I should / will stop.

Grumpy8
20th April 2019, 04:24 PM
I hear u guys bemoaning the lack of motivation, be happy you can walk the course and swing the club, the alternative is certainly far worse. Agree with you there , i’ll Swap some poor form for some no play at all .My advice to those that are struggling with form and therefore motivation just consider it a plateau, you have flattened out for a while . There are choices , take a break , analysis of your strengths and weaknesses, lessons, get on the tractor for a while and farm the cap . Don’t stop playing!!!!!! I hardly played from 26 yr old to 55 , I have made up for some of that now got down to 5 , a mate asked me a while ago did I wonder what could have been if I hadn’t stopped playing , simple answer is yes . I can tell you I have even more regrets now . If you are in good health keep playing cause I can tell you it’s no fun sitting in the doctors surgery and being told to stop playing golf .

Dotty
20th April 2019, 05:43 PM
I hear u guys bemoaning the lack of motivation, be happy you can walk the course and swing the club, the alternative is certainly far worse.Walking the course and swinging a club is good.

Not so good is 5+ hours hearing how good someone is, only because he gets a shot on over half the holes and is selective about which golf rules are important.

Just say 'no' to non-scratch pennant.

JoeS
20th April 2019, 08:00 PM
I haven't lost form,if anything I am playing better.My cap continues to fall,I am hitting the ball very well.My problem is the one on one match play format.It is slow,it is full of stupid rules that make it even slower.Rounds that last 5 1/2 hrs,not always our groups doing,quite often sitting next to the bag waiting for the next group.Sometimes the course(public course)Is so busy with green fee players who don't understand pennant,they get the shits and cause problems as well.

Grumpy8
20th April 2019, 08:31 PM
I haven't lost form,if anything I am playing better.My cap continues to fall,I am hitting the ball very well.My problem is the one on one match play format.It is slow,it is full of stupid rules that make it even slower.Rounds that last 5 1/2 hrs,not always our groups doing,quite often sitting next to the bag waiting for the next group.Sometimes the course(public course)Is so busy with green fee players who don't understand pennant,they get the shits and cause problems. Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkIs simple complete your commitments then don’t play in it next year

JoeS
21st April 2019, 01:05 PM
Is simple complete your commitments then don’t play in it next yearI'm hearing you.I feel for the club having such a small membership base,I don't want to let the team down.But at the end of the day,I am not enjoying it like I did last year.

Grumpy8
21st April 2019, 03:14 PM
I'm hearing you.I feel for the club having such a small membership base,I don't want to let the team down.But at the end of the day,I am not enjoying it like I did last year.Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk Novelty factor verse reality . Keep lowering your cap and you won’t get selected anyway , decision won’t be yours to make .

JoeS
21st April 2019, 05:01 PM
Novelty factor verse reality . Keep lowering your cap and you won’t get selected anyway , decision won’t be yours to make .Spot on

Ferrins
21st April 2019, 05:35 PM
It's an old farts pastime so go ride dirt bikes instead👍🏿

JoeS
21st April 2019, 05:48 PM
It's an old farts pastime so go ride dirt bikes instead[emoji1531]Thought I might drive a country back road with a few less passengers each week[emoji23]

Ferrins
21st April 2019, 06:03 PM
Ben Mitchell: So, what do you do for a living?
Mick Taylor: Well, I can tell you, but then... I'll have to kill you.

JoeS
22nd April 2019, 12:15 AM
Ben Mitchell: So, what do you do for a living?
Mick Taylor: Well, I can tell you, but then... I'll have to kill you.All I need is an Akubra and a wicked laugh

JoeS
22nd April 2019, 08:35 PM
So I went and played 9 holes with my eldest son today,he doesn't play very much but it was just a good chance for me and him to spend some time together.Played the lakes 9 which is probably the most difficult of the 3 nines for a new golfer,but he hit some good shots after I helped with his swing.We were dropping balls all over the place and just having fun,a couple of beers and enjoying the moment.My son got better as the round went,and I drove the ball well and had 4 birdies

Ferrins
23rd April 2019, 05:34 AM
You will need those birdies next time we play matchplay. Don't worry though because if you gag again I'm happy to give you a cuddle and some kind words to lift your spirits.
#can'tgetbetteratgolfsowhingeaboutlackofmotivation boohoohoo

Toolish
23rd April 2019, 12:51 PM
Feeling similar, had a run of great golf for me early this year which got me down to 2.0, then for the last 7 rounds not one that is flagged for handicap, last round was 27 points. I keep tossing up between having a break and doubling down to work harder.

Worst thing is we are right in the middle of Open season then into pennant so it should be the most motivating part of the year!

So after typing this I go out and have 34 points which is my best round in about 2 months including 2 x 3 putts. Stupid game!