PDA

View Full Version : Sonaterc MD reviews/opinions needed

jaster
11th August 2006, 07:41 PM
Who has used one and what did you think? I am especially interested in knowing what the distance and ball flight is like compared with a similar iron. Do they compare with the Mid rescue? I have have read that they are more penetrating and longer hitting.

Also, for $80 Bnew unhit with any flex shaft (stock IROD R, S or X) is that a bargain?

Thanks for your time as always I wuv youse all.

Speirsy11
12th August 2006, 12:57 AM
Distance compared to the equivalent iron is MUCH greater....I'd say 30 yards longer. I hit one a few weeks ago with the stock Irod shaft in S (too soft for me) and it was very long, but did baloon on me. I suspect that was due to the shaft.

These are nice hybrids, like most hybrids they fly higher and longer than an iron in the same loft. I found it to feel very similar to the rescue mid TP that I had, except it seemed to spin the ball more, again likely due to the shaft being too soft and my RM having X100 steel in it.......

All in all a good hybrid, especially for $80......For that kind of cash, I'd give it a go for sure.......

Speirsy11
12th August 2006, 12:58 AM
I wuv youse all.

And for the record, anymore of this, and I'm coming to Toowoomba to punch you in the nuts. :-P

jaster
12th August 2006, 01:52 AM
ROFLMAO..come and get me big boy :p

Thanks for the info, lucky I asked the question as I thought it was just like for like but a few reviews I had read were hinting the distance is pretty good with them. I wouldn't even be considering them as I enjoy my 503h but $80 sounds like a steal.

Anyone else hit it?

goughy
12th August 2006, 06:11 AM
didn't aho have one. What am I thinking. Of course he's had one at some stage.

terryand
12th August 2006, 06:42 AM
I gotta disagree with Rob. I have a 17 just like my Nickent and I would have to say the Nickent kills it. Well maybe not kills it, but for me the nickent set up suits me more than the MD.

Terry.

jaster
12th August 2006, 09:24 AM
So you've hit the MD right Tez? How would you compare the distance to the equivalent iron and what loft/combo did you hit?

McMw
12th August 2006, 08:27 PM
I can't remember which sonartec hyb I hit at the range...could have been the MD...didn't like it straight away coz of the "boxy" shape to the head...very high on the toe side...

pt73
12th August 2006, 10:37 PM
I've got a 19* one and it's a excellent club, had a 17* Nickent and I think it's a better club (for me anyway), nice boring trajectory unlike most hybrids. $80 new is a steal, I got mine overseas used for A$130 and that was a very good price.

BTW, I've got some pullout PX 5.5 taper wedge shafts gathering dust if you want to drop me a PM.

PT

Jo.
16th August 2006, 07:09 PM
I tried a 19 deg with a stiff Irod and wasn't too fussed.
The appearance was a bit chunky and square for my my liking.
But having said that the performance wasn't to bad.Distance was similar to a Rescue Mid Tp. Trajectory was a little lower and not as many hooks as the tp.I found that the tp was a bit more forgiving for me so I went with it.
$80 is dirt cheap though.If there are more available could you let me know as my mate is keen on one.

jaster
16th August 2006, 07:15 PM
Forgot to update thanks for the reminder Jo.

I picked up the 21* after talking with the guy and reading reviews on the net. I decided that the extra height from the 21* would be better than the lenght of the 19* and too be honest after one round and one range session I am glad I went with the 21. Distance appears to be around the 200m mark which considering the state of my health and game I am happy with and it is dead easy to hit. In fact I don't think I have hit a bad shot with it yet, it also has a great feel IMO of the face and certainly doesn't have any draw bias like other hybrids. IMO this plays more like an iron, hitting down appears to reward a better shot than a sweeping motion.

There were heaps of option available, but only in lefthanded. If you or your friend or anyone reading this would like one the seller tells me he will do them for $80..but as I said only left handed.

FijiPhil
18th August 2006, 05:27 PM
Glad you like Jaster - how was the wedge??

jaster
18th August 2006, 06:40 PM
Hi mate, wedge is going well so far although having used 54* sand wedges for so long the 56 is taking a little adjusting. Certainly love the BeCu feel.

Welcome aboard by the way :)

goughy
18th August 2006, 09:27 PM
Hey fijiphil, it is a nice looking wedge. The sole design looks sweet.