PDA

View Full Version : Can forged blades feel harsher than game improvement cavity backs?

Jono
25th March 2019, 11:16 AM
I’ve been playing the Cobra F7 irons (4-7 in progressive lengths and 8-GW in one length) and I’ve shafted up a set of Callaway Apex MB heads with modus 3 shafts.

Apart from the Apex being harder to hit, even on center hits, it feels “harsher” than the F7.

Could this be the stiffer Modus shaft?

okitoki
25th March 2019, 01:54 PM
could it be the GI cavity is just so forgiving that any hit near the center would feel like nothing?
The JPX919HM I have now feels like that most of the time unless I really thin the ball, then everything feels like a center hit compare to my other irons before; only the time I strike it dead center than I would feel a springiness and the ball would fly 5-10m even further.
The APEX MB I had before did not feel as soft as some of the other forged irons I had before.... even the CF16 APex felt a bit clicky.

Jono
25th March 2019, 05:53 PM
could it be the GI cavity is just so forgiving that any hit near the center would feel like nothing?The JPX919HM I have now feels like that most of the time unless I really thin the ball, then everything feels like a center hit compare to my other irons before; only the time I strike it dead center than I would feel a springiness and the ball would fly 5-10m even further.The APEX MB I had before did not feel as soft as some of the other forged irons I had before.... even the CF16 APex felt a bit clicky. I think sound may have something to do with it. Center hits with my F7 sound more “solid” to me than the center hits with Apex MB.

okitoki
25th March 2019, 06:15 PM
I think sound may have something to do with it. Center hits with my F7 sound more “solid” to me than the center hits with Apex MB.

guess so... mate of mine uses a MP25 and it sounds so clicky like he always thinning it; but it fly high and true....

markTHEblake
25th March 2019, 06:57 PM
I think sound may have something to do with it.
I beleive sound has everything to do with it :)

Put noise cancelling earphones on then try to hit a golf ball.

3Puttpete
25th March 2019, 11:45 PM
I beleive sound has everything to do with it :)

Put noise cancelling earphones on then try to hit a golf ball.

I tried this but couldn’t get them to stay on. The ball has no ears.