PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle GC (Tiger Tee) Friday 13th October

Andrew
10th August 2006, 09:58 PM
The last Friday of the month at Newcastle GC is a Tiger Tee Challenge that is an open day. I know it is a long way off, but it will give people time to make plans.

Greens are being cored on the 7th & 8th of September, so they should be fine by then.

I'll be aiming at a mid morning tee time, approx. 10am.

$40 for the round.

I would be happy for anyone to join me.

Moe Norman
10th August 2006, 11:32 PM
hmm, 6 days after baby born and day before grand final. I really do love Newcastle GC, but I reckon this could stretch my luck!

AndyP
10th August 2006, 11:35 PM
Grunt, could you add this to the Sydney Open Days? If I was ever down that way, I would love to get on Newcastle for a hit.

Jono
11th August 2006, 07:06 AM
This should be awesome. I've never played Newcastle ... Thanks, Andrew.

1. Andrew
2. Jono

Grunt
11th August 2006, 08:47 AM
Grunt, could you add this to the Sydney Open Days? If I was ever down that way, I would love to get on Newcastle for a hit.

Will do AndyP, got to do an update for all the open days. Newcastle is not really a Sydney Open Day, 2 hour+ drive to get there. I will add it though, there are a few others that I can add that are not necessarially Sydney but close enough to add to the list.

Grunt
11th August 2006, 08:47 AM
Would have loved to play Newcastle once again but alas I am working.

miro
11th August 2006, 09:04 AM
Can I be a tentative yes for the moment as afterall it is 6 week away.

AndyP
11th August 2006, 09:05 AM
...Newcastle is not really a Sydney Open Day....
I know, but it's in the general area. That's why ours is listed as SE Qld, instead of Brisbane.

Trung
11th August 2006, 09:20 AM
This should be awesome. I've never played Newcastle ... Thanks, Andrew.

1. Andrew
2. Jono

Jono in every NSW oZgolf days...

Whats new? :twisted:

Grunt
11th August 2006, 09:23 AM
He gets more days off than me!

Andrew
11th August 2006, 09:36 AM
Can I be a tentative yes for the moment as afterall it is 6 week away.

Yes, it can be as tentative as you like. The day is generally not overly booked, so a few changes along the way should not be a problem.

I've added it to the calender, so people can add their names there if they like.

miro
8th September 2006, 09:08 AM
Andrew,

This still looking like going ahead?

Andrew
15th September 2006, 10:32 AM
Just bumping this forward.

Yes, it's still going ahead, although Jono will be unable to play.

It is in the calendar, so anyone who wants to play can register there.

The time will probably be closer to 10 - 10:30.

I'll book 4 spots at the moment. If more are needed, it will be no problem & these days are not overly booked.

If it's just Miro & myself, then that is OK as well.

Andrew
15th September 2006, 11:42 AM
O.K.

4 names booked at 11:07

miro
15th September 2006, 01:29 PM
Andrew count me in.

Andrew
16th September 2006, 11:25 AM
Andrew count me in.

Consider yourself counted in.

miro
18th September 2006, 09:33 AM
also trying to talk the wofe into it -does the day incude chicks from the plates?

Andrew
18th September 2006, 03:46 PM
Miro,

Sorry to stuff you around, but I just received notification from the club that the Tiger Tee day has been changed. The guy in the pro shop took my booking without telling me & the pro didn't notice it until today, so he gave me a call.

Are you available on Friday 13th, October ?

BTW, women aren't able to play in the comp.

Andrew

P.S. Clear your PM folder.

Grunt
18th September 2006, 03:52 PM
Friday the 13th ,count me in at this stage. Roster due to change this week though:?, not sure what I am doing after next wednesday.

Andrew
18th September 2006, 04:01 PM
Friday the 13th ,count me in at this stage. Roster due to change this week though:?, not sure what I am doing after next wednesday.

It will be great to have you along. Although, you might be hard to beat considering your REAL handicap by then should probably be 15, but Golflink will still have you at 20. :D

Grunt
18th September 2006, 04:09 PM
LOL, going to play Ashlar tomorrow off my Golflink one 21 as it now seems to never going to update itself.

miro
18th September 2006, 04:32 PM
Drat - I was keen as mustard for the game -it makes it a 4 day weekend.

I should still be fine for the revised date.

Ps Inbox now empty

Andrew
18th September 2006, 04:42 PM
O.K. Date has been changed to 13th October.

I'll let people know the time closer to the date.

I'll also change the calendar.

Grunt
4th October 2006, 10:04 PM
I'm in, Andrew have you booked tee times yet?

Grunt
5th October 2006, 09:59 PM
what time were we looking at, I definitely have to be back in Sydney by 4. If that is cutting it too fine I might have to drop out.

Andrew
7th October 2006, 01:21 PM
Booking has been made for 10am

Grunt
7th October 2006, 01:22 PM
I am going to have to drop out as Rachelle & I are going out on Friday night and I have to be home by 4pm. It will be cutting it too fine to both play and be home to go out. Have a nice day guys.

miro
10th October 2006, 08:39 AM
Andrew,

I will see you there at about 9:30.

Me -the bloke with the white Callaway hat on walking around wondering why everyone reckons Newcastle is a top 20 track ;).

Paul

Andrew
10th October 2006, 08:55 AM
I'll be the one welcoming you to the year 1955.

miro
11th October 2006, 08:12 AM
So Andrew is it just you and me -I was down at Gary's shop yesterday getting some clubs attended to and he mentioned he thought Jono was going to play as well??

Jono
11th October 2006, 08:30 AM
So Andrew is it just you and me -I was down at Gary's shop yesterday getting some clubs attended to and he mentioned he thought Jono was going to play as well??

Yep. I haven't played a round for over a month, so this is going to be interesting. I'm taking plenty of old balls with me cos I ain't going in the bushes to look for them ... I've heard that Newcastle GC is full of snakes. :shock:

miro
11th October 2006, 08:36 AM
Good stuff jono -don't worry the fairways are wide and you don't hit it very far! ;)

Jono
11th October 2006, 08:46 AM
Good stuff jono -don't worry the fairways are wide and you don't hit it very far! ;)

In the words of a popular Aldila shaft ... "By You". ;)

Grunt
11th October 2006, 08:50 AM
Have fun guys,
Would have loved to have come but at the same time got an invite to see the play my sister is working on at the moment, with the added advantage to meet the cast after the play finishes. John Wood, Catherine McClemments & Kym Gyngell are some of the cast. Can't wait to meet Col'n :p

Andrew
11th October 2006, 09:18 AM
I had an accident last night. Coming back from my nightly walk, I tripped over a pile of Blue Metal (in MY driveway, so I should have remembered it was there) & cut my knee up pretty bad. My wife spent an hour digging out pieces of rock from my knee, which was heaps of fun. My knee now has no skin on it whatsoever.

So, I may get a cart. (Yes, I know it's disgraceful)

Either way, I'll be there. Whether I'm in a cart or hobbling around.

miro
11th October 2006, 09:20 AM
Gees I was worried you were going to pull out because of a little scratch.

Andrew
11th October 2006, 10:19 AM
Gees I was worried you were going to pull out because of a little scratch.

Steve Rixon use to say to us, "Beware the injured batsman." I once scored 136 in a NSW 2nd XI match with, what I found out later, was a lacerated Cruciate in my left knee, batting the entire time with a runner.

Of course, that was over 20 years & 40 kg ago, back when I could see which way the ball was spinning in the air. These days I drive the ball out of sight & I barely hit it 200m. In those days it didn’t matter how much the ball swung or cut, I could still knock it to the boundary. These days I can hardly hit a golf ball & the damn thing is standing still.

Beware the injured golfer ? I don’t think so. I’ll be lucky to get 25 points.

miro
11th October 2006, 11:15 AM
Well I have just gone out to 5 -so ummm beware the guy who thought he was once a good golfer but who is currently playing like crap!!

Sounds like we have the following group:

1. injured
2. out of form
3. out of practice

should be a top day.

jimandr
20th October 2006, 06:40 PM
I've been off the internet for the last week, so my apologies if the answer to this question is posted somewhere, but...

how did this round go?

Who went well, who didn't, did the course live up to expectations?

My interest is partly motivated by the fact that I've decided to take my usual February holiday in the Port Stephens area, which will certinly include a Newcastle game if I can get one.

Jono
21st October 2006, 04:48 PM
Hey Jim,

Hot, windy day ... off the back tees, stroke ... Could have been a recipe for disaster, but we ended up having fun. Andrew, Miro and I each got an "X" so we ended up not keeping scores. I was the first to go, on the front nine. Can't remember which hole, but it was a relatively long par 4 with a blind tee shot. Two large humps could be seen and Andrew told us to imagine them as two large breasts. Very symmetrical too ... :mrgreen: Aggressive line was over the left breast where a more conservative line would have been between the cleavage and the right breast. Anyway, all this talk about female anatomy distracted me enough to miss both of them ... twice. Went bush, bush and didn't bother teeing up a third. When I couldn't find either of them, I didn't go back to the tee ... hence the X. I added up my score for the rest of the holes later and if I had parred this hole, I would have scored 78. Mental note: Take the 3 wood next time and block out any thought of breasts. 8)

Andrew had his X not long after with Miro, being the low marker in the group, lasting the longest until his X came on the back nine. Miro and I ended up having a bit of a long drive comp on the last few holes. I didn't think we were playing that badly ... just a few bad shots that were heavily penalized. Newcastle will do that to you. If you are not reasonably straight, you are in trouble. Quite a few blind tee shots, which surprised me. But they weren't blind, blind. Even though you couldn't quite see the landing area, you got a reasonable idea where the holes were heading and where to aim, etc. Nice undulating fairways and greens and I thought the course was in relatively good nick. I thought the par 3's were a bit too long, but I suppose we did play off the blacks. The sand in the bunkers deserves a special mention. Sort of grey powdery sand that was really fine and fluffy. Took me a while to get used to it, but I loved it.

At $40, I think it's well worth taking a day off and driving up one Friday. 8)