PDA

View Full Version : Less expectations, better outcome?

Jono
13th March 2019, 11:53 AM
Just finished playing this morning and played much better than I had been.

I’ve been struggling to break my handicap recently so I decided to try something different.

I played with 9 clubs instead of 14 for starters. Bushy et al may be onto something here.

I had 2 goals today.

Keep the ball in play and no worse than bogey every hole.

Lowered expectations, super relaxed and carefree. Focus shifted from long game to the short game. Aim off the tee was to avoid penalty shots so I could get somewhere near the green in reg and have a chance at an up and down, bogey at worst.

blurry
13th March 2019, 12:10 PM
Great mindset to have , but very hard not to get caught up in the need to win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeftyHoges
14th March 2019, 12:40 PM
Just finished playing this morning and played much better than I had been.

I’ve been struggling to break my handicap recently so I decided to try something different.

I played with 9 clubs instead of 14 for starters. Bushy et al may be onto something here.

I had 2 goals today.

Keep the ball in play and no worse than bogey every hole.

Lowered expectations, super relaxed and carefree. Focus shifted from long game to the short game. Aim off the tee was to avoid penalty shots so I could get somewhere near the green in reg and have a chance at an up and down, bogey at worst.

I know I give this "movement" shit, but the questions have to be asked...

Why can't you have the goals of keeping the ball in play and no worse than a bogey a hole with 14 clubs? More choice of how to play shots and recovery shots with the full 14 clubs should help you to achieve these goals even easier.

Certainly no questioning of the goals themselves, they're perfectly acceptable and more golfers should be keeping things simple like this, I just don't see the need for the half-set nonsense. If you can't hit the clubs properly they shouldn't be in your bag in the first place, and why would you be able to hit the 5 iron of your iron set but not the 6?

3Puttpete
14th March 2019, 01:20 PM
I know I give this "movement" shit, but the questions have to be asked...

Why can't you have the goals of keeping the ball in play and no worse than a bogey a hole with 14 clubs? More choice of how to play shots and recovery shots with the full 14 clubs should help you to achieve these goals even easier.

Certainly no questioning of the goals themselves, they're perfectly acceptable and more golfers should be keeping things simple like this, I just don't see the need for the half-set nonsense. If you can't hit the clubs properly they shouldn't be in your bag in the first place, and why would you be able to hit the 5 iron of your iron set but not the 6?

It’s the vibe.

For some the thinking changes from having to shoot a score to keeping out of trouble. I’m only half with them on this but the other half is with you. If the goal is eliminate bad scores by aiming for the centre of the green, why not always aim for the centre of the green whether you have 7 or 14 clubs?

Sticking with your 5 and 6 iron example, and this is for me only, I don’t think there’s much I can do with a 5,6,7 I can’t do with a 5,7. If there is, I’m ok with missing out.

Mostly I just like carrying fewer clubs.

Jono
14th March 2019, 03:12 PM
I know I give this "movement" shit, but the questions have to be asked...Why can't you have the goals of keeping the ball in play and no worse than a bogey a hole with 14 clubs? More choice of how to play shots and recovery shots with the full 14 clubs should help you to achieve these goals even easier.Certainly no questioning of the goals themselves, they're perfectly acceptable and more golfers should be keeping things simple like this, I just don't see the need for the half-set nonsense. If you can't hit the clubs properly they shouldn't be in your bag in the first place, and why would you be able to hit the 5 iron of your iron set but not the 6? Lefty, I haven’t been in this “movement” long enough yet so just my thoughts.I haven’t been playing well, or as well as I would like with 14 clubs. I just wanted a change, a mindset change.I wanted to shed some baggage, physically and mentally. I don’t pretend to be shaping shots with less clubs. Less clubs allows me to carry, even with my dodgy back. This alone has lifted a weight off me.If I’m stuck between 5 and 7 iron, I decide which is the better miss. I’m no longer looking for green in reg. I’m looking to place my ball where it gives me a good chance of up and down but at worst a bogey. If I happen to mishit a 5 or flush a 7 and get it close, that’s an accidental bonus.I’ll most likely go back to playing 13-14 clubs once I get good at this but I may not. My aim is to learn with each round not necessarily shoot the lowest score.Quite liberating really...

Bigbad
14th March 2019, 03:40 PM
Lefty, I haven’t been in this “movement” long enough yet so just my thoughts.I haven’t been playing well, or as well as I would like with 14 clubs. I just wanted a change, a mindset change.I wanted to shed some baggage, physically and mentally. I don’t pretend to be shaping shots with less clubs. Less clubs allows me to carry, even with my dodgy back. This alone has lifted a weight off me.If I’m stuck between 5 and 7 iron, I decide which is the better miss. I’m no longer looking for green in reg. I’m looking to place my ball where it gives me a good chance of up and down but at worst a bogey. If I happen to mishit a 5 or flush a 7 and get it close, that’s an accidental bonus.I’ll most likely go back to playing 13-14 clubs once I get good at this but I may not. My aim is to learn with each round not necessarily shoot the lowest score.Quite liberating really...

I think something that gets lost in the half-set talk is not so much being good enough with every club, but playing fewer clubs forces to to hit shots you wouldn't normally hit. I don't play the half set, but I know that people like doing it to take them out of a comfort zone, force them to hit a low flighted 5 iron instead of a 6 iron. Maybe use the ground more when approaching the green, instead of always playing the ball in the air. Sure you can do that when all the clubs are in the bag, but 9 times out of 10 I would imagine you always go for the stock shot. Taking that stock shot away forces your hand, makes you think a little differently about how you approach the shot. Think it's good for the mind, good for the game.

Jono
14th March 2019, 03:49 PM
I think something that gets lost in the half-set talk is not so much being good enough with every club, but playing fewer clubs forces to to hit shots you wouldn't normally hit. I don't play the half set, but I know that people like doing it to take them out of a comfort zone, force them to hit a low flighted 5 iron instead of a 6 iron. Maybe use the ground more when approaching the green, instead of always playing the ball in the air. Sure you can do that when all the clubs are in the bag, but 9 times out of 10 I would imagine you always go for the stock shot. Taking that stock shot away forces your hand, makes you think a little differently about how you approach the shot. Think it's good for the mind, good for the game. That’s no doubt a great reason for carrying less clubs. Mine was to a) reduce the weight so I can carry and b) reduce decision errors.

Courty
14th March 2019, 05:52 PM
It’s the vibe.

For some the thinking changes from having to shoot a score to keeping out of trouble. I’m only half with them on this but the other half is with you. If the goal is eliminate bad scores by aiming for the centre of the green, why not always aim for the centre of the green whether you have 7 or 14 clubs?

Sticking with your 5 and 6 iron example, and this is for me only, I don’t think there’s much I can do with a 5,6,7 I can’t do with a 5,7. If there is, I’m ok with missing out.

Mostly I just like carrying fewer clubs.

I find it ironic that you're using a half-set of single length clubs... half sets force you to improvise and play various shot-shapes with differing swing lengths to get the required distance, but single length clubs are designed to take the shot-making mechanics out of the equation so you make the same swing every time. Just an observation.

Courty
14th March 2019, 05:54 PM
FWIW, I've played over 18 holes in the last few days using only 4 clubs (in preparation for the 4x4x4 thing tomorrow afternoon). I've still been able to score quite well even with so few clubs in the bag, but I still have no desire to carry any less than the 13 or 14 I usually use.

3Puttpete
14th March 2019, 06:11 PM
I find it ironic that you're using a half-set of single length clubs... half sets force you to improvise and play various shot-shapes with differing swing lengths to get the required distance, but single length clubs are designed to take the shot-making mechanics out of the equation so you make the same swing every time. Just an observation.

You’re well aware I don’t make the same swing twice let alone every time.

Post reported for silliness.

Hatchman
14th March 2019, 06:52 PM
Nothing wrong with learning to manufacture shot length.
Distance control is a big part of the game and carrying 4-5 wedges has made people lazy in learning this part of the game.

Courty
14th March 2019, 07:54 PM
You’re well aware I don’t make the same swing twice let alone every time.

Post reported for silliness.

You are a walking contradiction. :p

Ferrins
14th March 2019, 07:55 PM
Is this the BJ thread?

Steve57
14th March 2019, 08:05 PM
You are a walking contradiction. :pPOTY nominee!

3Puttpete
14th March 2019, 08:07 PM
You are a walking contradiction. :p

Like when the baby’s on its way? Am not.

markTHEblake
15th March 2019, 09:37 PM
Lowered expectations

you nailed it Jono. Most golfers unrealistically change their expectations according to how they well they started their round, or played yesterday. the reality is our average is about 3 strokes above our handicap and that should be our expectation before the round, or for the remainder of the round no matter what the progress score is. If you think about every time you seemingly choked it on the last few holes its probably because you were trying to hang on to that lower score - well at least thats what I did. My best rounds were mostly a late run of birdies rather than a good start.

JoeS
16th March 2019, 12:04 AM
So did you leave the f9 in the car Jono.Drive for show and putt for doh

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jono
16th March 2019, 09:38 AM
So did you leave the f9 in the car Jono.Drive for show and putt for dohSent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk I took it but only used three times. I still want to feel comfortable with the driver so I’ll continue to carry it. I’ll try just playing with irons once in a while too and hit longer shots into greens where I usually have a wedge.Makes playing the same course week in week out more variable and fun. 😊

JoeS
16th March 2019, 10:19 AM
I took it but only used three times. I still want to feel comfortable with the driver so I’ll continue to carry it. I’ll try just playing with irons once in a while too and hit longer shots into greens where I usually have a wedge.Makes playing the same course week in week out more variable and fun. [emoji4]I play social rounds where I only carry irons.It doesn't do anything for scoring,but just makes you appreciate the extra length the driver can give

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk