PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a shaft that doesn't fit my swing

amanda
13th August 2004, 10:14 AM
Hi everyone,

This is a question for all of the equipment ho's - I bought a new 3w at the beginning of the year and liked the shaft it had so much I bought another one (Accuflex Vizion A flex).

However, the shaft no longer suits as I think it may be too flexible as my swing has improved about 100% in technique and another 5-8mph in SS (as I was hitting a Nippon mens R flex the other day better) - what can I do with it?

Would tip trimming increase the flex so that I could use it in something (perhaps my driver which needs a re-shaft)? Or could I sell it somewhere? Cost me about $110 but I would be happy to get probably $60 back.

Thanks in advance

3oneday
13th August 2004, 10:36 AM
G69 would say tomato stake....

Terence could tell u if tipping it will stiffen it, and by how much. Need a driver to put it in :wink: .

Pete

amanda
13th August 2004, 10:47 AM
Pete - thanks - I've got a head - the current Wishon.

Terence suggested I go see Gary at Advantage to see whether it could be tipped or not.

hackin jim
13th August 2004, 10:55 AM
Amanda, definately give Gary a call or drop in and see him....he won't lead you astray. I wouldn't take my clubs anywhere else. :D

Jarro
13th August 2004, 03:48 PM
if it's too soft for you Amanda, Blakey might take it off you ... he doesn't swing that hard :P

Golfgirl
14th August 2004, 03:29 PM
Just a shaft that doesn't suit hey???

I've got a whole damn club that doesn't suit.... (or it could be the dummy who is swinging it). :shock: The Titliest experiment has gone horribly wrong and I am back to using a three wood off the tee for the first time in over six months. :?

Anyway - tipping it will defintely stiffen it up a little - don't know if it will be enough to help you if you have been hitting Men's R Flex. Also - tipping it might make it too short for driver??

p.s. can I try your driver when you come to play??? I'm outta ideas for a driver now.... :(

amanda
15th August 2004, 09:19 AM
p.s. can I try your driver when you come to play??? I'm outta ideas for a driver now.... :(

Hey GG - no problems!

Went to see Garry at Advantage Custom Clubmakers yesterday and he seems to think that the club was too heavy in swing-weight (C9) and cut an inch off the butt to make it about C6 - he thinks that might fix some of the problems.

Tried it yesterday and things have straightened out a little, but there is still a wicked slice off the fairway!

Oh well - at least in the high wind we are having I can always blame that :lol:

Jono
15th August 2004, 09:45 AM
Hi Amanda,

I have a feeling that you might be swinging a little differently with your Solitaire when you are hitting it off the ground. I remember when I played with you at Liverpool, you were hitting the Solitaire fine off the tee. In fact, you were hitting it slightly left with a hint of a draw!

That leads me to think that you are perhaps putting a slightly different swing on the ball when it is lying on the ground. Maybe the deep face of the solitaire subconsciously makes you try to hit down on it a bit more, making you approach the ball from the outside with an open face (ie. slice path). This is my guess.

Try hitting off a low tee first. If you hit the ball straight, then gradually lower the tee, trying to swing the same way each time. Finally, get rid of the tee all together and hit off the turf. You might find that you are approaching from the inside on a shallower path.

Also, another thing. When I start blocking shots out to the right, it's usually because I'm hanging back on my right side. When I get onto the left side more on the downswing, things seems to straighten out a lot.

Good luck.

Golfgirl
16th August 2004, 10:01 AM
Oh well - at least in the high wind we are having I can always blame that

Yeah - dunno what excuse I will use when the 50 km/hr winds are no longer blowing Shellharbour off the map.... :oops: :lol: :wink:

amanda
16th August 2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the tips Jono.

Just in the last 2 months even my tee shots with the SMT are starting to go right.

With yesterday's wind it was difficult to tell whether things were straightening out or not!