PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Play? New Format

BUSHY
11th March 2019, 09:02 PM
Our club introduced a new format for a bit of a hit and giggle Friday arvo about a month ago, not every week but this coming week is the second event and the first time I get a chance to play.

It's called "Friday 4 x 4 x 4" has a $10 entry and the gist is this...

4 holes - 4 clubs - 4 mulligans

The first 2 speak for themselves but the mulligans ALL have to be used.
It's got me thinking what the ideal setup would be for different players and if this were played at your course is it something you'd play?

I'm really looking forward to it, missed the first one thanks to Vic Champs.

henno
11th March 2019, 09:08 PM
I love a good change-up from the monotony of the usual comps; I'd give it a whirl.

I could (obviously) see all four mulligans being putts.

3Puttpete
11th March 2019, 10:18 PM
I’d be in it. Golf’s supposed to be fun.

We have a 9 hole super course (one hole is from par 6 12th tee to 13th green) and we get a mulligan per event.

Courty
11th March 2019, 11:09 PM
I'm in.

Given the holes we're playing (3 x par 4s & a par 5), I'll probably go Driver, 6i, 9i, GW.

If the holes were different I may drop driver for 3 wood or even hybrid.

AndyP
12th March 2019, 07:41 AM
Can you use your four mulligans to tap in your last putt four times?

I don't think I would bother too many times for only four holes.

Ferrins
12th March 2019, 07:49 AM
There was talk of a 3 hole comp at the Bridport pub.

LeftyHoges
12th March 2019, 09:25 AM
I love a good change-up from the monotony of the usual comps; I'd give it a whirl.

I could (obviously) see all four mulligans being putts.

I could use all 4 mulligans on the same 2 footer.

Then still need to tap in the 6-incher. :oops:

jimandr
12th March 2019, 09:55 AM
I’d be in it. Golf’s supposed to be fun.

We have a 9 hole super course (one hole is from par 6 12th tee to 13th green) and we get a mulligan per event.

The super course concept interests me more.

I've always loved the St Andrews concept of playing the course in reverse, which they apparently do at the Home of Golf, and I've often plotted out alternative routes at the courses I've been a member at.

Most greens are only designed to be approached from one angle, and its very hard to do at tree-lined courses, but occasionally you can do it differently.

If you were in a regular group playing for side bets and beers, the 4 by 4 would be great fun. It wouldn't be so good playing with randoms.

BUSHY
12th March 2019, 10:27 AM
Can you use your four mulligans to tap in your last putt four times?

I don't think I would bother too many times for only four holes.

Whenever you want but you must use them.

BUSHY
12th March 2019, 10:30 AM
It wouldn't be so good playing with randoms.

What’s the worst that can happen?[emoji41]

okitoki
12th March 2019, 11:53 AM
When I was a kid, my local club used to be a novelty game called Cross Country.... where you tee off on first to aim for 9th, or so on....

you can argue most of us do that normally, but I remember it was a fun game of discovering how to play from different places.

Dcanto
12th March 2019, 12:28 PM
When I was a kid, my local club used to be a novelty game called Cross Country.... where you tee off on first to aim for 9th, or so on.... you can argue most of us do that normally, but I remember it was a fun game of discovering how to play from different places. There were some guys, when I was a member at Gordonvale who used to play like that on the holes inside the racetrack. It would be fun to go back and give it a go.

Dotty
12th March 2019, 12:38 PM
4x4x4 sounds like a lot of effort for 20 hits of the ball and 45 mins of walking/waiting/retrieving mulligans. (Although, there may be more shots and more waiting, due to limited use of speciality wedges.)

A better idea would be 'DC Stadium Golf', where one hits a ball from within 30 'primed' spectators. (Added sandcastle and ice-scultures are optional.) It could probably work with 4 goes at the same par 3, from different tee blocks or drop zones.

AndyP
12th March 2019, 09:17 PM
4x4x4 sounds like a lot of effort for 20 hits of the ball and 45 mins of walking/waiting/retrieving mulligans. (Although, there may be more shots and more waiting, due to limited use of speciality wedges.)

A better idea would be 'DC Stadium Golf', where one hits a ball from within 30 'primed' spectators. (Added sandcastle and ice-scultures are optional.) It could probably work with 4 goes at the same par 3, from different tee blocks or drop zones.
Have you got any video links to show us an example?

3Puttpete
13th March 2019, 11:20 AM
We’ve just announced a new one.

12 holes in pairs.
4bbb stroke
Foursomes
Ambrose

4 holes of each

LeftyHoges
13th March 2019, 12:03 PM
We’ve just announced a new one.

12 holes in pairs.
4bbb stroke
Foursomes
Ambrose

4 holes of eachGood format, I like that.

Portland has 13 holes on one side of the road that this would be great for. Would have to come up with some doozy for hole 13 though... ;-)

Dotty
13th March 2019, 02:14 PM
Would have to come up with some doozy for hole 13 though... ;-)
One club challenge, where you use the same club for every shot, including putting.

And bunkers. :)

BUSHY
13th March 2019, 02:54 PM
One club challenge, where you use the same club for every shot, including putting.

I did that on the 8th yesterday. 6 iron off the tee, chipped with 6 iron, tapped in with 6 iron.

LeftyHoges
13th March 2019, 03:35 PM

That'd be great on our 510m par 5 16th....

Sadly no bunkers, but good luck chip and running your hybrid through the kikuyu in the middle of winter!!! :lol:

Hatchman
13th March 2019, 06:58 PM
Hand Bag Derby is always a fun one.
Full round playing off the Reds.

BUSHY
13th March 2019, 08:11 PM
Settled on a setup today, no matter what holes.

3w
4i
8i
PW

hippo10
14th March 2019, 10:53 AM
4 clubs is luxury. We used to play a 3 club challenge for 18 holes once a year.

BUSHY
14th March 2019, 12:38 PM
4 clubs is luxury. We used to play a 3 club challenge for 18 holes once a year.

I could play 3w, 6i, PW

3Puttpete
26th March 2019, 12:06 AM
12 hole comp on Friday.
4 holes best ball
4 holes foursomes
4 holes 2 man ambrose

blkmtn
26th March 2019, 10:07 AM
Hand Bag Derby is always a fun one.
Full round playing off the Reds.

I like the sound of that one..

markTHEblake
27th March 2019, 10:28 PM
The Dunk Island open (when it first opened).
After each hole for every stroke over par (nett) you had to skull a shot of rum/whisky. Of course a birdie got you a credit.