PDA

View Full Version : Smartwatch golf Apps

Mayborn
5th March 2019, 01:33 PM
I have been using my apple watch as a distance device, with the app Hole19 with a lite premium membership. However, I am finding on my local course the GPS goes haywire. It struggles to automatically change holes, and some of the distances are completely incorrect. I am not looking for pin point accuracy, but I just wanted to utilise a device that I am already wearing daily.

What are other peoples experience with apps out there, golf shot looks good. Wondering if someone has already done the comparison between apps?

blkmtn
5th March 2019, 02:20 PM
I have a Garmin watch and utilise the golf app within that. It's fairly basic but loads the course based off GPS data, shows distances (front/middle/back of green), scorecard, autoholes etc. Not bad for the default app anyway.

okitoki
5th March 2019, 03:36 PM
I used the Tailormade MyRound app on my Samsung watch... seems to work ok; keep track of clubs used, and putts too...
But only issues I have is not every courses were on it previously.

But now I just use game golf live to keep track of my stats, and just a cheap Garmin approach GPS clip on my belt.... my phone seems to keep over heating and loosing GPS signal... so not reliable;

Courty
5th March 2019, 04:07 PM
I have been using my apple watch as a distance device, with the app Hole19 with a lite premium membership. However, I am finding on my local course the GPS goes haywire. It struggles to automatically change holes, and some of the distances are completely incorrect. I am not looking for pin point accuracy, but I just wanted to utilise a device that I am already wearing daily.

What are other peoples experience with apps out there, golf shot looks good. Wondering if someone has already done the comparison between apps?

Interesting. Have you checked the GPS locations on your iPhone to verify that it's not incorrect course data? It could be a simple matter of contacting Hole19 & getting them to update your hole locations.

FWIW, I also have an Apple Watch, but prefer my laser rangefinder.

Mayborn
5th March 2019, 08:18 PM
Good point, I might shoot Hole19 an email and have them check out the data on the course. There is a consistency over the weeks I have used it on the same holes. Otherwise I do like Hole 19, the data on the apple watch is clear. I had a laser rangefinder which I fluffed around with, ended up giving it to an old feller I play with. I may go back to one, once I significantly reduce my overall shots per round.

Benje
5th March 2019, 09:06 PM
Have you turned off the bluetooth on the iphone, so that you use the apple watch gps, not the phone gps.

I get quick distance updates on my watch if it isn't connected to the phone.
I can get funny answers if the phone connection is flakey.
If you stand 10 metres closer to the pin than your phone is eg in a golf bag back a bit in the fairway, you will get a bad distance on your watch via bluetooth from the phone

Mayborn
17th March 2019, 11:19 AM
So I shot Hole 19 a message, and they got back to me within 7 days, which I feel is pretty impressive in today's age.

The message goes as such, if anyone else was having problems.
"Our engineering team has been investigating this issue and collecting data to send along to Apple. It seems this issue is related to some iOS devices or its Operating Systems and not with the Apps. The latest Hole19 version comes with an extra feature which is called ‘Flyover Debug Mode’, by switching this option ON you’ll see coordinates while on the course and the accuracy level. Those coordinates are provided by the device and not by the App and you can easily confirm if the coordinates match your location or not by writing them on any satellite provider like Google Maps. If the location matches, you'll be able to confirm that is not Hole19 placing you in the wrong location but that instead is the location where your device is placing you that is wrong.
To activate the 'Debug Mode' go to your iPhone Settings, scroll down until you find Hole19 > turn ON the Debug Mode toggle (see screenshot attached).
During the tests, we have also been able to figure out that recent devices take longer to update than older ones. Our goal now is to build a solid use case to send along to Apple so they can perhaps fix their Operating System and deliver a better experience.
We’re really sorry about this and doing our best to improve our user experience."

markTHEblake
17th March 2019, 04:48 PM
I used the Tailormade MyRound app on my Samsung watch... seems to work ok;

tried it, couldnt use it. no idea how to move on to next shot or next hole. gave up, nothing intuitive about it at all.

goughy
17th March 2019, 07:46 PM
Not for the tech illiterate MtB ;) ;)

markTHEblake
17th March 2019, 08:28 PM
I am guessing the tech illiterate would easily work it out.