PDA

View Full Version : WDYSTM - March

Courty
2nd March 2019, 02:11 PM
Monthly Medal this morning. Usual programming has resumed for summer golf... raining, preferred lies, bunkers GUR etc etc. :roll:

I shot 79/74. A run of soft bogies on the back killed off any Medal hopes I had.

Grumpy8
2nd March 2019, 04:18 PM
Beaconhills monthly medal 86/81 pretty ordinary debut as a five capper, became a practice round after four holes

PeteyD
2nd March 2019, 06:18 PM
87/70 in squally rain for the monthly medal. 2nd in B grade. Pretty solid most of the day except for 2 dumb triples.

JoeS
2nd March 2019, 07:05 PM
MM with Olinda today.Shocking head cold ended up DQ myself after losing a ball on the fairway in amongst a million leaves,so I just walked on.I think I shot around 22 points so was shit anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Pickles
2nd March 2019, 07:05 PM
94/79 - ejected by the wind today and my inability to adjust to the conditions. Even when I gave myself good opportunities my short game was rubbish.

Courty
3rd March 2019, 04:20 PM
75 off the stick for 38pts this morning.

henno
3rd March 2019, 06:21 PM
I shot 99 for both of my rounds this week.

I also lost both of my bets on the horses.

https://emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji91.pnghttps://emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji91.pnghttps://emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji91.png

Shot what I thought was another 99 at the Reddy Bay back marker on Friday; even lagged a par putt on the last to ensure I didn't raise the bat.
Turned out to be an even 100 when I rechecked the card.

Needless to say that was enough for me to cancel my Saturday spot for the second round of club champs and drank beer and smoked ribs in my backyard all day instead. No regrets; golf can EAD.

3Puttpete
3rd March 2019, 07:13 PM
Shot what I thought was another 99 at the Reddy Bay back marker on Friday; even lagged a par putt on the last to ensure I didn't raise the bat.
Turned out to be an even 100 when I rechecked the card.

Needless to say that was enough for me to cancel my Saturday spot for the second round of club champs and drank beer and smoked ribs in my backyard all day instead. No regrets; golf can EAD.

Is that the club champs spot you struggled to get because it was fully booked?

henno
3rd March 2019, 08:05 PM
Is that the club champs spot you struggled to get because it was fully booked?

second round

No.

okitoki
3rd March 2019, 08:07 PM
Weekend of crappy golf.... driving and putting were great... but the irons failed me this weekend

3Puttpete
3rd March 2019, 08:42 PM
No.

So not second round of club champs for you then? Just a Saturday. Got it.

henno
3rd March 2019, 10:13 PM
So not second round of club champs for you then? Just a Saturday. Got it.

Correct. Just a regular Saturday for me, effectively.

Mark
3rd March 2019, 10:26 PM
Weekend of crappy golf.... driving and putting were great... but the irons failed me this weekend Hi there I'm new to this,,,, what a great place to vent crappy rounds I felt like I I just gave the club some free money, couldn't get off the stupid bogey bus, went back to basics still no good another week of work to wait

oldracer
4th March 2019, 01:55 PM
75 off the stick for 38pts this morning.

on fire!!!!!!

Deester
4th March 2019, 05:09 PM
Had 79 off the stick yesterday for 40 points with 2-3 putts missed that should of been sunk ... pfffft.

JoeS
9th March 2019, 04:15 PM
Par event today.
Even on front 9,+2 on back 9 for a plus 2 ,loss on the last.
2 x birdies
1 x 3putt

BUSHY
9th March 2019, 04:59 PM
Oh my. What a weird day that was. Worked a couple of things out on the range this week on my swing which was good.

I flushed my irons and wedges all day. Got rid of the ‘wipey-ness’ and compressed it a bit more. This resulted in carrying everything ½ to a full club longer than I have been, flew it over the green on 10,11,16,18,3,6,7,9.

I miss bent greens. Probably hit 3 bad putts but had 35 of the suckers and 3x 3 putts.

85 for 31 points.

Courty
9th March 2019, 05:28 PM
Single stableford this morning in the rain (again).

I had a good day out with 74 for 38pts off my shiny new 4 handicap. Consider for a moment that there was a lost-ball (plugged drive) that resulted in a double & wipe, as well as 2 x 3-putts, then it truly could have been anything. 5 birdies really helped, all bar one the result of binning putts in the 15-30ft+ range. There were a couple of ridiculous par saves that I had no right to make as well.

Minor_Threat
9th March 2019, 06:20 PM
Vardon event at Charlestown 75 (+3).

Had 3 x penalties and a 3 putt. 16 pars, double and a bogey 🤪

benno_r
9th March 2019, 08:07 PM
OK, I'll start of by saying this could be long winded, but hear me out. Today, I shot my best round ever. In there were 6 holes of Hoges like performance. The will be plenty of bragging. Not humble, nor passive. You've been warned.

Maryborough GC Saturday Stableford. Course is a little rough due to lack of rain, and greens a bit furry due to a recent renovation. GA 12.8, daily of 13.

Started the first 4 holes pretty steady - drove well on 1 and 2, but average iron shots saw me in the green side pots. Couldnt get up and down on 1, but did on 2. 3 was a long par 3 into the wind that again caught the pot - couldnt get up and down. 4 was a drive that didnt quite clear the left tree, saw me taking a bogey to be 8 points and +3 off the stick. I though I was hitting it quite well though.

5 is a par 5 - driver the middle, hybrid to 20m, hit an average chip to 25ft. Hit a pure putt that curled in and stopped hanging over the edge. Easy 5/2

6 is a par 4 - driver down the middle, wedge to 15ft. Hit a pure putt that curled and horseshoed for an easy 4/3

7 is a par 3 - beautiful 8i into the wind that hits the flag (the fabric part), and goes 6ft past. Snake in a tricky putt for 2/3

8 is a par 4 water all the way down the left - Bomb the F9 straight down the middle, hit a fantastic 9i straight over the flag to 10ft. Also pretty tricky, but curl it in for a 3/4 (Index 2)

9 is a short par 3 again all water left - hit a tasty little 9i that pitches 2" from the hole, rolls out to NTP of 82cm. Drive it in for a 2/3, 3 birds in a row (my PB).

Manage to finish the front 9 on 23pts, or even par. Massive milestone achieved by beating my previous 9 hole best of +3.

The boys I was playing with (unbeknownst to me) shotgun a few beers at halfway, so I am sitting on the 10th wondering wtf is going on - also a little shellshocked from my front 9.

10 is a par 5, rip an absolute bomb with the F9 straight down the middle. It's not the kind of hole you really go for in 2, so I lay up to 80m to go. Hit a pitch with a gap wedge that is lasering the flag, that lands 60cm and just stops dead. Drive it dead in the heart for a 4/4 and my fourth consecutive birdy. And the first time I go red to be -1 through 10.

11 is a very hard par 3, I hit a hybrid that lands on the dance floor but just trickles off the right, and I can't get up and down, and take a bogey to get back even.

So in 6 holes (5-10), I have gone -4, and could easily have gone -6. I cannot describe how in that time how it felt to play golf. Everything I looked at I did, well. It was just a surreal feeling, and one I hope to have again soon.

Anyway, Driver, 9i on 12 to 45ft, and another putt that finished on the high side of the hole. 13 I ripped 3w down the middle - but hit a poor wedge that managed to lodge under the lip of the bunker. Took a drop and couldn't get up and down to record my only double and wipe.

Smoked another driver on 14, tugged my 5i and managed to not get up and down. 15 was driver, 6i, 8i to 20ft, and an easy 5/3. 16 was a great drive that feed left into the trees, played what i thought was the perfect punch only to hit the 100m marker and ricochet to the right side of the fairway. Hit a great wedge to 3ft, and nailed another 4/3. 17 is a long par 3 I drilled hybrid on. I thought it was good, but turns out it rolled over the back. Couldn't get up and down, so another 4/2, and +4.

18 is a tough finisher - I know I have to bogey or better to shoot my best round ever. Being it's water all the way down the right, I pull my drive into the trees. I sneak a low hook out onto the FW, and wedge on the green with 70ft to the hole. Knowing I have to lag it in to be able to shoot a 75, a choke a little and pull my put 15ft left. After giving my self an uppercut, and being nervous AF, I absolutely nail it, to finish with +5, and 44pts.

So 2 things stood out for me today. F9 lives up to the hype and more. As does my new Toulon Atlanta putter. I hope this is a big cut on my cap. I haven't felt this good about golf in a long time.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

23/21 44 (+5 off the waz) with 1 wipe.
4 birdies
6 pars
7 bogies
1 double
29 putts, no 3 jigs
11/13 FW
8/18 GIR

BUSHY
9th March 2019, 08:25 PM
OK, I'll start of by saying this could be long winded, but hear me out. Today, I shot my best round ever. In there were 6 holes of Hoges like performance. The will be plenty of bragging. Not humble, nor passive. You've been warned.

Maryborough GC Saturday Stableford. Course is a little rough due to lack of rain, and greens a bit furry due to a recent renovation. GA 12.8, daily of 13.

Started the first 4 holes pretty steady - drove well on 1 and 2, but average iron shots saw me in the green side pots. Couldnt get up and down on 1, but did on 2. 3 was a long par 3 into the wind that again caught the pot - couldnt get up and down. 4 was a drive that didnt quite clear the left tree, saw me taking a bogey to be 8 points and +3 off the stick. I though I was hitting it quite well though.

5 is a par 5 - driver the middle, hybrid to 20m, hit an average chip to 25ft. Hit a pure putt that curled in and stopped hanging over the edge. Easy 5/2

6 is a par 4 - driver down the middle, wedge to 15ft. Hit a pure putt that curled and horseshoed for an easy 4/3

7 is a par 3 - beautiful 8i into the wind that hits the flag (the fabric part), and goes 6ft past. Snake in a tricky putt for 2/3

8 is a par 4 water all the way down the left - Bomb the F9 straight down the middle, hit a fantastic 9i straight over the flag to 10ft. Also pretty tricky, but curl it in for a 4/4 (Index 2)

9 is a short par 3 again all water left - hit a tasty little 9i that pitches 2" from the hole, rolls out to NTP of 82cm. Drive it in for a 2/3, 3 birds in a row (my PB).

Manage to finish the front 9 on 23pts, or even par. Massive milestone achieved by beating my previous 9 hole best of +3.

The boys I was playing with (unbeknownst to me) shotgun a few beers at halfway, so I am sitting on the 10th wondering wtf is going on - also a little shellshocked from my front 9.

10 is a par 5, rip an absolute bomb with the F9 straight down the middle. It's not the kind of hole you really go for in 2, so I lay up to 80m to go. Hit a pitch with a gap wedge that is lasering the flag, that lands 60cm and just stops dead. Drive it dead in the heart for a 4/4 and my fourth consecutive birdy. And the first time I go red to be -1 through 10.

11 is a very hard par 3, I hit a hybrid that lands on the dance floor but just trickles off the right, and I can't get up and down, and take a bogey to get back even.

So in 6 holes (5-10), I have gone -4, and could easily have gone -6. I cannot describe how in that time how it felt to play golf. Everything I looked at I did, well. It was just a surreal feeling, and one I hope to have again soon.

Anyway, Driver, 9i on 12 to 45ft, and another putt that finished on the high side of the hole. 13 I ripped 3w down the middle - but hit a poor wedge that managed to lodge under the lip of the bunker. Took a drop and couldn't get up and down to record my only double and wipe.

Smoked another driver on 14, tugged my 5i and managed to not get up and down. 15 was driver, 6i, 8i to 20ft, and an easy 5/3. 16 was a great drive that feed left into the trees, played what i thought was the perfect punch only to hit the 100m marker and ricochet to the right side of the fairway. Hit a great wedge to 3ft, and nailed another 4/3. 17 is a long par 3 I drilled hybrid on. I thought it was good, but turns out it rolled over the back. Couldn't get up and down, so another 4/2, and +4.

18 is a tough finisher - I know I have to bogey or better to shoot my best round ever. Being it's water all the way down the right, I pull my drive into the trees. I sneak a low hook out onto the FW, and wedge on the green with 70ft to the hole. Knowing I have to lag it in to be able to shoot a 75, a choke a little and pull my put 15ft left. After giving my self an uppercut, and being nervous AF, I absolutely nail it, to finish with +5, and 44pts.

So 2 things stood out for me today. F9 lives up to the hype and more. As does my new Toulon Atlanta putter. I hope this is a big cut on my cap. I haven't felt this good about golf in a long time.

4 birdies
6 pars
7 bogies
1 double
29 putts, no 3 jigs
11/13 FW
8/18 GIR

Great read, super stoked for you mate. Career rounds are an extension of the feeling those perfectly flushed long irons gives you.

Dibs on the Mizuno Type B[emoji56]

3Puttpete
9th March 2019, 08:35 PM

8 is a par 4 water all the way down the left - Bomb the F9 straight down the middle, hit a fantastic 9i straight over the flag to 10ft. Also pretty tricky, but curl it in for a 4/4 (Index 2)

4 birdies
6 pars
7 bogies
1 double
29 putts, no 3 jigs
11/13 FW
8/18 GIR

TL;DR what was for lunch?

Well played! You get a golf clap [emoji1319]

SundayHack
9th March 2019, 08:39 PM

4 birdies
6 pars
7 bogies
1 double
29 putts, no 3 jigs
11/13 FW
8/18 GIR

I don’t usually read long winded crap like that and I still don’t. But 4 birds and 44 points must have been some round.

Just joking mate. Congrats on your new PB.

benno_r
9th March 2019, 08:39 PM
TL;DR what was for lunch?

Well played! You get a golf clap [emoji1319]A muesli bar for me, and a bottle of water.

3 beers each for the lads.

AndyP
9th March 2019, 08:47 PM
Congratulations, Benno. It looks like you had the ball on a string with the irons for a good stretch.

JoeS
9th March 2019, 09:00 PM
Well done Benno

PeteyD
9th March 2019, 10:05 PM
Great shooting Benno. Good read.

We had a Gentsomes today. They played in 4s and took the best 3 scores on each hole. Team that won had 150 points .... Or 8.333333 per hole. We were miles behind that.

backintheswing
9th March 2019, 10:19 PM
Benno your fairytale is full of lies.it was a 3/4 on 8. Nice shooting.

benno_r
9th March 2019, 11:12 PM
Benno your fairytale is full of lies.it was a 3/4 on 8. Nice shooting.

Oh yeah, it's been a long time since I had a double bunger there.

Thanks for all the well wishers, and extended readers.

Dcanto
10th March 2019, 01:07 AM
Oh yeah, it's been a long time since I had a double bunger there.Thanks for all the well wishers, and extended readers. Well done Benno, awesome round.

3oneday
10th March 2019, 05:59 AM
Great driver :lol:

Playing from the fairway makes the game that much easier, I hope you keep that one in your bag :)

benno_r
10th March 2019, 08:35 AM
Great driver [emoji38]

Playing from the fairway makes the game that much easier, I hope you keep that one in your bag :)You'd think I wouldn't rotate anything out of my bag, but....

I'll play next round with the same clubs for the first time in a long time. [emoji23][emoji23]

chappy1970
10th March 2019, 01:38 PM
38 points this morning.

18 going out and 20 coming back. Included 3 doubles and a lip out for eagle.

Identified a small issue with my grip after the 4th, slight adjustment and then the ball seemed to go straighter. Who knew

SundayHack
10th March 2019, 07:08 PM
76/65. Boring golf. 1 Bird, 0 Doubles, 0 3putts, 0 Shanks, 0 Helicopters.

benno_r
10th March 2019, 07:32 PM
76/65. Boring golf. 1 Bird, 0 Doubles, 0 3putts, 0 Shanks, 0 Helicopters.Boring as hell, but effective!

Ferrins
10th March 2019, 07:35 PM

8 is a par 4 water all the way down the left - Bomb the F9 straight down the middle, hit a fantastic 9i straight over the flag to 10ft. Also pretty tricky, but curl it in for a 3/4 (Index 2)

4 birdies
6 pars
7 bogies
1 double
29 putts, no 3 jigs
11/13 FW
8/18 GIR

I couldn't grt hrough it all but well done anyway.

BUSHY
10th March 2019, 08:00 PM
Had a quick 9 holes at Atherton today. Whizzed around in 1:34 and played really solid all pars except for the 3 doubles.

2nd- bounced off the path into the junk. Double
4th- plugged in green side bunker. Double
6th- took unplayable after drive wedged under a tree root on the full. Double

okitoki
11th March 2019, 01:12 PM
Well... it was a bit of a F-Up yesterday.... Golf wise was ok though...

Signed up last minute on Saturday night for an early Sunday morning game with a mate; was PAR comp and I was hitting pretty ok, cored greens still growing back so putting wasn't that awesome... was sitting on even after 9 holes
On the 10th, pro shop guy drove up and asked me to call home urgently... It was a rare day for me to forget my phone... called home, and wife told me my other mate rang up and asking where I was as it was The Vines Autumn cup (36holes day comp)

That was 9:15am, the comp started at 7:30; so I abandoned my PAR comp, raced up to the Vines, caught up with my other friend (shot gun start at 14th, caught up with them on the 7th; played 7 holes for 13 points with the rest as wipes.

Played the next 18 holes off 13 hdcp. scored 37 points;

would have been a good day if I didnt mess up my bookings :P

BUSHY
11th March 2019, 03:14 PM

Signed up last minute on Saturday night for an early Sunday morning game with a mate; was PAR comp and I was hitting pretty ok, cored greens still growing back so putting wasn't that awesome... was sitting on even after 9 holes
On the 10th, pro shop guy drove up and asked me to call home urgently... It was a rare day for me to forget my phone... called home, and wife told me my other mate rang up and asking where I was as it was The Vines Autumn cup (36holes day comp)

That was 9:15am, the comp started at 7:30; so I abandoned my PAR comp, raced up to the Vines, caught up with my other friend (shot gun start at 14th, caught up with them on the 7th; played 7 holes for 13 points with the rest as wipes.

That’s legitimately the strangest thing I’ve ever read on here.

3Puttpete
11th March 2019, 03:15 PM

How’d your mate go after you ditched him half way round?

backintheswing
11th March 2019, 03:18 PM
Wouldn’t you have been dq’d from the Vines cup for turning up late?

okitoki
11th March 2019, 03:22 PM

Yeap.... I totally agree

How’d your mate go after you ditched him half way round?

haha... yeah... he had a laugh at me for being a dumb c*nt and told me to get to the other round quickly.... lucky there were 3 of us, so he could play on....
So this is showing up on my GA

okitoki
11th March 2019, 03:25 PM
Wouldn’t you have been dq’d from the Vines cup for turning up late?

Not sure... just rocked up to play the 2nd 18 since I've paid for it... they just submitted my 7 holes with the rest as wiped....

Grumpy8
11th March 2019, 03:26 PM
How’d your mate go after you ditched him half way round? That was my first thought as well

okitoki
11th March 2019, 03:29 PM
yeah... I f*up big... i admit that wholeheartedly.... have to be careful with booking my games in future...

Courty
11th March 2019, 03:31 PM

You mustn’t have read the thread about renting cats then [emoji23]

BUSHY
11th March 2019, 03:32 PM
you mustn’t have read the thread about renting cats then [emoji23]

w

h

a

t

t

h

e

a

c

t

u

a

l

?

3Puttpete
11th March 2019, 03:37 PM
Yeap.... I totally agree

haha... yeah... he had a laugh at me for being a dumb c*nt and told me to get to the other round quickly.... lucky there were 3 of us, so he could play on....
So this is showing up on my GA

I’m not sure how you can play 2 competitions on the same course on the same day.

Does the first one not count as practice?

3Puttpete
11th March 2019, 03:38 PM
w

h

a

t

t

h

e

a

c

t

u

a

l

?

She’s a beauty!

Courty
11th March 2019, 03:38 PM
w

h

a

t

t

h

e

a

c

t

u

a

l

?

Hopefully this works...

A question probably too ridiculous - Can you rent a cat?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=3205&share_tid=5877&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eozgolf%2Enet%2Fshowthread% 2Ephp%3Ft%3D5877&share_type=t

okitoki
11th March 2019, 03:41 PM
I’m not sure how you can play 2 competitions on the same course on the same day.

36 holes 1 day comp

BUSHY
11th March 2019, 03:46 PM
Hopefully this works...

A question probably too ridiculous - Can you rent a cat?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=3205&share_tid=5877&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eozgolf%2Enet%2Fshowthread% 2Ephp%3Ft%3D5877&share_type=t

Quite amazing but a legitimate question nonetheless.

As opposed to what we see here, I’m well and truly bamboozled.

Courty
16th March 2019, 05:53 PM
4x4x4 challenge at Cairns GC yesterday. I shot 18 (+1) nett 17. Pretty poor really, should have done better.

Thanks to cored & sanded greens at Cairns we went up the hill to Mareeba GC today. We were told during the week that it was single stroke, but on arrival found that it was Par :roll: I shot a solid +1 around the front, but leaked oil on the closing stretch to finish +2.

JoeS
16th March 2019, 06:19 PM
Played stableford today.Wipe on 24 and another on the 9th.No birdies just plodding golf.
33 points.
2 x 3 putts

benno_r
16th March 2019, 06:55 PM
I'll keep this one shorter:
Wed at Maryborough stableford. Massive low round backlash. Nothing worked, disgraceful.
14/14 28

Thursday at Rockhampton. Still played bad, somehow shot 16 on the front, but wasted a lot of good opportunities to shoot 12 on the back
16/12 28

Saturday at Maryborough stroke. More of the same on the front 9, was 4 over handicap at the turn. Something happened on the back 9 to get back to square. Solid but nothing spectacular.
+4/-4 nett 70.

Hopefully a nice little drop might see me in the 10s for the first time in years.

Pickles
16th March 2019, 08:12 PM
I went to watch the Formula 1's in Melbourne on Friday and after what was an already long day in the sun and on my feet all day I managed to step on a nail that went straight through my shoe and into my foot. Should not have played today but I'm stubborn (stupid) and after 9 holes i thought I was going to have to raise the bat but thankfully avoided it. Will sleep easy tonight.

backintheswing
16th March 2019, 08:17 PM
I'll keep this one shorter:
Wed at Maryborough stableford. Massive low round backlash. Nothing worked, disgraceful.
14/14 28

Thursday at Rockhampton. Still played bad, somehow shot 16 on the front, but wasted a lot of good opportunities to shoot 12 on the back
16/12 28

Saturday at Maryborough stroke. More of the same on the front 9, was 4 over handicap at the turn. Something happened on the back 9 to get back to square. Solid but nothing spectacular.
+4/-4 nett 70.

Hopefully a nice little drop might see me in the 10s for the first time in years.

Any social hits ?

benno_r
16th March 2019, 08:56 PM
Any social hits ?

Just 1, but I don't report them as they lack intensity.

okitoki
16th March 2019, 11:26 PM
First round today at Mt Lawley. Never played here before so was hitting blind most of the time.

Was hitting ok and putting ok....but nothing special. A few stupid shots but no harm done

So 86 gross for a 73 nett today

BUSHY
17th March 2019, 08:14 AM
A round up of the last few days.

Played 4x4x4 at Cairns and played well.

4 fairways
4 greens
1 birdie

-1 gross
-3 nett

Mareeba, opened poorly and was minus 3 early. Came back to be minus 1 at the turn. Played the back well to get to +1 before setting at square. Had a put on the last to avoid buying drinks in our game of wolf, Left it 3 ft short [emoji2959]

Srix965
17th March 2019, 03:23 PM
Just did 9 holes with the kids and girlfriend.... Dodged the rain for the second 9....ok round, bunkers were out of play (didn't find one anyhow) hit a 39 which is to my handicap but could of been a bit better with a couple of unlucky bounces off the driver... Was one of those days where you hit it really good but struggle toscore to handicap

3Puttpete
17th March 2019, 05:18 PM
Just did 9 holes with the kids and girlfriend.... Dodged the rain for the second 9....ok round, bunkers were out of play (didn't find one anyhow) hit a 39 which is to my handicap but could of been a bit better with a couple of unlucky bounces off the driver... Was one of those days where you hit it really good but struggle toscore to handicap

How’s Rosewood these days?

Iain
17th March 2019, 08:55 PM
First round of club champs at Keperra yesterday in the wet.

Played solid for an 83/71, (40-43) which included 4 doubles. Got up and down really well on the front nine. Really need to sort out driver, as I am playing a bit of army golf, while hitting my irons pretty solid. And a couple of 3 putts at the wrong time, although I only had 30 putts.

Hopefully next week will be a little less damp...

LeftyHoges
18th March 2019, 08:42 AM

Ummmmm, wot?

Have you never played a 36-hole comp in one day?

3Puttpete
18th March 2019, 09:07 AM
Ummmmm, wot?

Have you never played a 36-hole comp in one day?

Both rounds were golflinked. That’s 2 separate rounds.

LeftyHoges
18th March 2019, 09:41 AM
Seeing as I'm now officially on the wait list for my ankle surgery and it could happen at any moment AND pennant starts in a fortnight I decided I probably should get out and play a round or two. I also stupidly decided to play a half-set and end some inane debate. I ALSO decided to go back to my Scotty Studio Design I to try and get rid of my yips. Also trying to be more aggressive with the short putts to get rid of said yips. So bag setup was Driver, 17.5° hybrid, 4i, 6i, 8i, PW, 54° and Puttah. This round could've gone anywhere.

Holed an 8 footer for par on 1, a sliding downhill 6 footer for par on 2 and a 2 foot of break up and over and down a hill 20 footer on 5 for par. Which sounds great. It's a damn shame I missed a 2 footer on 3 and a 3 footer on 4.

Par on 6, and a great drive down 7 then the first instance of the half-set bit me in the arse. I had 197 to the flag (par 5) and my hybrid tends to go 210-215ish, but this was uphill, so would be closer to 205-210. Problem being there's an out of bounds at the back of the green where balls just love to sneak under the fence. So I back off the hybrid just a skosh. What happens when you back off on a club and don't get it right? Your hands don't get through the shot, so massive block OOB left. As an aside, what distance does the hybrid I left out tend to go? That's right, 195-200. Consider me unimpressed. Fortunately I manage to baby the next one up to the back left corner of the green and 2 putt for a bogey, so complete disaster avoided, but still cost at least 1 or 2 shots.

Make a massive up and down from the back of 8 (which would normally be an easy 9 iron, but my easier 8 iron still flew the green) for par, and par 9. Sit at +3 through 9 with an OOB and 2 putts under 3 feet missed. The half-set is a perfect metaphor for the round thus far, I'm halfway between what I COULD be (even par), and what I SHOULD be (+6).

Nuke a drive down 10, 275m. Where the **** did that come from!?!?! Baby 54° from 63m checks after 1 hop leaving me 15 feet. Binned it.

Second and third instance of half-set bite me in the arse. 11 is a 148m par 3 with a push-up green at the back, so long and fairly narrow (though it does widen at the back) and severe slope back to front. Normally an easy 7 iron to front edge or middle of green at worst. No chance in hell I can hammer the 8 and get anywhere near it so have to back off on the 6. What happens when you've already had one experience of having to back off on a club and not getting the hands through the shot? You overcompensate, don't you? I tug this thing right, it gets a hard bounce and I'm back right of this green in big trouble. Not that this is somewhere I haven't been before and can play the shot but the lie is terrible and I have Kikuyu scattered in front of me. SHOULD be a nice bump and run 7 iron. ****, don't have it. Play the 8 and risk it not running up the hill enough, or the 6 and hope the kikuyu doesn't **** you. I choose the 6 and the kike ****s me. Ball gets 3/4 of the way up the hill and stops. Chip down to 6 feet and push the putt. Double / wipe, done.

Driver, 8 iron to 5 feet on index 1 and bin the putt for 3/4 and back in the game. Lip a 20 foot bird on 13, lip a 4 foot bird on 14 (decent putt, just broke its tits off), run over the edge on 15 from 6 feet (bad read technically, but still can't believe the putt went the other way), just miss bird on 16, bin a curling downhiller from 12 feet on 17 for par, and make up and down on 18 for par and the half-set can **** off.

Summary:
2 birdies
12 pars
3 bogeys
1 double

7/14 Fairways (poor)
9/18 GIR (OK)
6/9 up 'n downs
29 putts

LeftyHoges
18th March 2019, 09:42 AM
Both rounds were golflinked. That’s 2 separate rounds.

They are 2 separate rounds in the eyes of GolfLink, yes. But there's no issue with that if it's a club 36 hole event.

3Puttpete
18th March 2019, 09:44 AM
They are 2 separate rounds in the eyes of GolfLink, yes. But there's no issue with that if it's a club 36 hole event.

[emoji1303]

BUSHY
18th March 2019, 10:22 AM
I also stupidly decided to play a half-set and end some inane debate.

9/18 GIR (OK)

By the sounds of it the debate hasn’t ended?

LeftyHoges
18th March 2019, 11:29 AM
By the sounds of it the debate hasn’t ended?

Greens in Reg hit:
3rd: Par 5, no issue.
6th: Hybrid, 54° wedge.
9th: Driver: 54° wedge.
10th: Driver, 63m flick 54° wedge.
12th: Driver, 8 iron.
13th: Par 5, no issue.
14th: Driver, 54° wedge.
15th: Driver, full 6 iron.
16th: Par 5, full 6 iron.

GIR missed:
1st: Needed 9 iron, went long with 8.
2nd: Went long with 54°, no issue, just gorilla'd.
4th: Pulled wedge, just missed, no issue.
5th: Needed 3 iron, missed hard right with babied hybrid.
7th: Blocked babied hybrid OOB.
8th: Needed 9 iron, hit 8 long.
11th: Needed 7 iron, hit 6 long.
17th: Preferred 5 iron for punch out, only had 4, came up short as couldn't carry longer grass.
18th: Would've preferred to hit soft 3, instead went hard 4 and slightly pulled.

I think the debate has well and truly ended.

9/18 GIR is OK, but could've and should've been much better.

LeftyHoges
18th March 2019, 11:54 AM
Actually one thing that I haven't mentioned so far is not only with the half-set do you limit your options from the tee and fairway, but you also cut down the options that you can use for chipping. I routinely use all clubs from 6 iron through to 58° for chipping. Taking out the 7i, 9i, and 58° hamstrings you in ways that hurt quite significantly too. And you can't just de-loft or up(?)-loft the in-between irons as that creates different bounces on the clubs and spins on the ball, creating greater inconsistencies.

I just cannot for the life of me see why anyone would CHOOSE to play this way and handicap yourself as badly before you've hit ball 1.

okitoki
18th March 2019, 12:07 PM
well, lack of sleep, eating oily food the night before, and humid day took the toll on me yesterday; ended the 2nd day comp with 93/80 for the day;
Seem to have lost my iron shots and a few 3putts didnt help the day either;

However, my handicap has dropped by 0.5 due to the semi good game on Saturday

Next week is Pennants time.....

Steve57
18th March 2019, 12:24 PM
Actually one thing that I haven't mentioned so far is not only with the half-set do you limit your options from the tee and fairway, but you also cut down the options that you can use for chipping. I routinely use all clubs from 6 iron through to 58° for chipping. Taking out the 7i, 9i, and 58° hamstrings you in ways that hurt quite significantly too. And you can't just de-loft or up(?)-loft the in-between irons as that creates different bounces on the clubs and spins on the ball, creating greater inconsistencies.

I just cannot for the life of me see why anyone would CHOOSE to play this way and handicap yourself as badly before you've hit ball 1.
I'm with you on this Lefty, unless it is a specific comp such as a 3 club event, it's a full bag for me everytime!

BUSHY
18th March 2019, 01:12 PM

Yeah fair enough. I do understand your point of view.

Although my take is not necessarily the restriction of options but more so the ability to create options.

I’d say over the last 12 months carrying less and enjoying the walk has given me MUCH greater pleasure than shooting 36 points instead of 33 (if that is the measure).

There is joy in the game. [emoji41]

SundayHack
18th March 2019, 03:04 PM

Although my take is not necessarily the restriction of options but more so the ability to create options.

I’d say over the last 12 months carrying less and enjoying the walk has given me MUCH greater pleasure than shooting 36 points instead of 33 (if that is the measure).

Golf is a game about the glass being half empty. Just like your bag.

Courty
18th March 2019, 03:10 PM
Golf is a game about the glass being half empty. Just like your bag.

:lol:

Srix965
18th March 2019, 03:57 PM
Struggled today 78/73. Sal my girlfriend got her third card in. She hit 109

Srix965
18th March 2019, 03:59 PM
How’s Rosewood these days?Haven't been there mate. Divorce etc and a lot going on in life... Sort of try stay clear of the whole area to be honest

Captain Nemo
20th March 2019, 05:59 PM

3Puttpete
23rd March 2019, 09:22 PM
37 with 7 clubs.

Captain Nemo
23rd March 2019, 09:48 PM
37 with 7 clubs. Hole by hole rundown please.

BUSHY
23rd March 2019, 09:51 PM
37 with 7 clubs.

Imagine what you could do with 14? [emoji23]

benno_r
23rd March 2019, 09:51 PM
Imagine what you could do with 14? [emoji23]74 points?

3Puttpete
23rd March 2019, 09:55 PM
Hole by hole rundown please.

1. Short par 4. No trouble except for water about 70m short of the green. Generally don’t hit driver.
2. 140 ish par 3.
3. Par 4. Water and OB all down the left. Water short right and right of the green.
4. Par 5. OB all down the left. Water is in play off the tee right.
5. Par 4. OB all down the left. Trees right in play off the tee.

I’m bored now. Google it.

3Puttpete
23rd March 2019, 09:56 PM
Imagine what you could do with 14? [emoji23]

I’d have to buy some

3Puttpete
23rd March 2019, 09:56 PM
74 points?

18.5 points?

Courty
23rd March 2019, 11:18 PM
Individual stableford this morning. You'd never have guessed, but it was really wet from all the rain :roll:.

I shot 76 for 36pts. 1 birdie, no wipes.

benno_r
23rd March 2019, 11:36 PM
Saturday comp in Maryborough, started poorly with a double on 1. Kept plugging away though to claw it back until a duffed chip on 11 saw another double.

Managed a 2 putt birdie on 5, and 8 other pars to finish with 37pts off a daily of 12. Handicap drops to 10.6, which is somewhere I haven't been for nearly 2 years.

18/19 37
1 Bird
8 Par
6 Pogey
3 doubles

SundayHack
23rd March 2019, 11:36 PM
1. Short par 4. No trouble except for water about 70m short of the green. Generally don’t hit driver.
2. 140 ish par 3.
3. Par 4. Water and OB all down the left. Water short right and right of the green.
4. Par 5. OB all down the left. Water is in play off the tee right.
5. Par 4. OB all down the left. Trees right in play off the tee.

I’m bored now. Google it.

This message is hidden because 3puttpete is on your ignore list.

BUSHY
23rd March 2019, 11:41 PM

[emoji23][emoji23]

3Puttpete
23rd March 2019, 11:43 PM

Did you have a full bag today?

SundayHack
23rd March 2019, 11:58 PM
Did you have a full bag today?
She is empty now. If you are asking how golf went. I may have had more clubs than points.

3Puttpete
24th March 2019, 12:33 AM
She is empty now. If you are asking how golf went. I may have had more clubs than points.

Playa

blurry
24th March 2019, 12:35 AM
38 points at Penrith yesterday off 7, 15 points front (6 over), 23 points back (1 under)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srix965
24th March 2019, 07:48 AM
Ordinary yesterday 80 so 5 over my cap.. Hoe today is better

hippo10
24th March 2019, 08:58 PM
Had 36* points (off a very inflated handicap) around the albatross course at Le Golf National (Ryder cup course). It was good fun but I stand by my opinion that a course that is so penal wouldn't be much fun every week. Some interesting holes though and some great green complexes.

Toxic
25th March 2019, 07:22 PM
Social weekend at Echuca.

Saturday 42 points (3 over) on the West course
Sunday 39 points on the East course
Irons were excellent
Still can't bloody chip, bump n run when required

Minor_Threat
25th March 2019, 08:10 PM
Round last Saturday for 36 points (Even par), nothing to flash to talk about. 2 x birdies, 2 x bogies..

Had 29 putts with a chip in, best putting stats I have had for a while.

Iain
25th March 2019, 08:52 PM
First round of club champs at Keperra yesterday in the wet.

Played solid for an 83/71, (40-43) which included 4 doubles. Got up and down really well on the front nine. Really need to sort out driver, as I am playing a bit of army golf, while hitting my irons pretty solid. And a couple of 3 putts at the wrong time, although I only had 30 putts.

Hopefully next week will be a little less damp...

After a decent first round, was hoping to get somewhere around my cap. But I had my worst round in a long time. 96/84, lots of doubles and 3 triples. I seemed to compound errors with 3 putts at the worst times.

Looney
26th March 2019, 08:45 AM
After a case of the shanks on Saturday I found the club face yesterday for 40 points, 2 birdies and one double otherwise solid play. 28 putts with 1 three jab.

Captain Nemo
27th March 2019, 04:58 PM

Courty
27th March 2019, 06:22 PM

tl;dr

Captain Nemo
27th March 2019, 08:40 PM
tl;dr
?

AndyP
27th March 2019, 09:02 PM
?
http://bfy.tw/Zw

Captain Nemo
27th March 2019, 09:50 PM
:mrgreen:

Srix965
28th March 2019, 02:27 PM
77/36 this morn

Ferrins
28th March 2019, 03:51 PM

Seriously you handicap yourself enough using those Kmart Vice Pro balls.

Srix965
29th March 2019, 03:42 PM
White tee comp today. 77/36 didn't hit them real well but 29 puts helped same as yesterday score but scrambled all day today

Courty
29th March 2019, 07:39 PM
Stroke round at Royal G with the Navy Social Club today, and my first round ever playing off 3 :shock:!

The course was unsurprisingly very boggy, but the worst part was the greens which have been afflicted by some kind of fungus. Putting was a lottery.

I had 78/75 (par 70).

BUSHY
29th March 2019, 08:01 PM
Seriously you handicap yourself enough using those Kmart Vice Pro balls.

Internet ONLY.

KMart is for chumps

Dotty
29th March 2019, 08:21 PM
Internet ONLY.

KMart is for chumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9nlzNcujFs

BUSHY
29th March 2019, 08:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9nlzNcujFs

Nice reinforcement Dotty!!!

Vice rulz!

Ferrins
30th March 2019, 04:33 AM
Nice reinforcement Dotty!!!

Vice rulz!

Dotty is right

Never go full ret..d!

Courty
30th March 2019, 04:50 PM
Individual stableford this morning. The weather hasn't improved so the course is still a mess, and add recently cored & sanded greens on top of that.

I had 30pts with 7 1s and a wipe. Also a 4-putt :shock:

BUSHY
30th March 2019, 05:18 PM
Was probably a little drunk still, struggled thru the front 9 for 16 points.

Had a beer and a Powerade at the turn and rolled off 6 pars, 2 bogies and a [emoji213] for 21 points.

79/71 (37 points)

Pickles
30th March 2019, 10:03 PM
After about 2.5 hrs sleep last night I didn't have high hopes for monthly medal today. Started the day smoking my drives and nailing some really good putts, first 4 holes were all aprs. Then I fell in a hole. Couldn't hit a fairway and had a 4 putt, following by a 3 putt.

Lowlight of my day was an 11 on an easy par 5. Don't actually remember the last time I hit double figures on a hole.

Somehow managed 31 points in between the trash.

Captain Nemo
30th March 2019, 10:17 PM
Was probably a little drunk still, struggled thru the front 9 for 16 points.

Had a beer and a Powerade at the turn and rolled off 6 pars, 2 bogies and a [emoji213] for 21 points.

79/71 (37 points)

#newfav
#nodrytrip

BUSHY
30th March 2019, 10:18 PM
#newfav
#nodrytrip

#data

990B Luva
30th March 2019, 11:01 PM
First comp round in 4.5 years, was a 4 ball Ambrose, so no real indicator, but holed out 8 iron from 145 for an eagle. I’ll take that for my first serious round in years. Finished 3rd shooting 59/53.5

Slug
31st March 2019, 09:41 AM
85/72 monthly medal yesterday in windy cold conditions

Couldn’t drive the ball to save myself

2 birdies on par 3s, one held up for NTP

Left atleast 3 shots out there from stupid stuff I wouldn’t normally do, would have had me in contention

Putting and short game kept me in it

BUSHY
31st March 2019, 10:06 AM
85/72 monthly medal yesterday in windy cold conditions

Couldn’t drive the ball to save myself

2 birdies on par 3s, one held up for NTP

Left atleast 3 shots out there from stupid stuff I wouldn’t normally do, would have had me in contention

Putting and short game kept me in it

Welcome back Sluggo. How’d the injury hold up?

Slug
31st March 2019, 11:56 AM
Welcome back Sluggo. How’d the injury hold up?

Back held up ok

Certainly aware of it while playing

Struggling today however lol

Srix965
31st March 2019, 01:54 PM
Ordinary this morning, shame S well as it was a stunning day. Hit 80 so bit disappointed but hey tomorrow is another day

Looney
1st April 2019, 08:45 AM
started the day very slowly with three 1 pointers followed by three 2 pointers and closed out the front 9 with three 3 pointers for 18 points, 20 points on the back nine gave me 38 of the day and enough to win on a count back in wet and windy conditions.
back to back birdies on 11 and 12 was pleasing but miss guided layup cost me a wipe on the 16th.

LeftyHoges
1st April 2019, 03:52 PM
Lots.

Bigbad
2nd April 2019, 10:23 AM
Shot a 77 yesterday (+5) off the bat, was a funny old round. Hit the ball pretty well for the most part, played the four par 5's in -3 (birdied 3 of them) and the four par 3's in +5 (two doubles, a bogey). Have been starting to try gather my strokes gained data each round to figure out what will be best to work on, I know yesterday i putted poorly, so that'll be one thing, but also drove the ball average for the front 9.