PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Scoring Title (Vardon Event)

Courty
8th August 2006, 10:33 PM
As per this thread (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3227), I have begun compiling data to track the Ozgolf Scoring Title.

Rules are as follows:

1. Minimum of 5 rounds to be eligible
2. Data to be extracted from Golflink
3. Calculations:
Vardon score = Sum of (Handicap played to - Handicap played off) ÷ Rounds played. Lowest number wins.
Average Over CCR = Sum of Handicap played to ÷ Rounds played. This is a reflection of the average shots over CCR, not par.
4. Vardon year starts the day after the 2005 Ozgolf Champs and ends on the final day of the 2006 Ozgolf Champs. (28/11/05 - 29/10/06)
5. Once the dust has settled, I will update monthly.
6. The idea of basing the Title on the best 10 rounds has been bandied about. A decision has not yet been made and will also be open to discussion. I don't believe it will be a level playing field as some people may not play 10 comp rounds during the year, but I'll listen to both sides.

The leaderboard as it currently stands:
http://www.geocities.com/c0urty/Other/Vardon.jpg

Members in Green signify that they have been added in the latest update.
If you do not appear on the leaderboard, it is either because:

a) I do not have your Golflink number (if you wish to be included please PM me your Golflink number)
b) Your Golflink does not contain any rounds played this calendar year to date

Ducky
8th August 2006, 10:49 PM
Is the formula made up of the gross scores or the net scores? Because if it is gross scores it appears that everyone is playing to low single figure handicaps, which isn't correct. For example, if I was to use your Golf Link history and the formula you have listed above your Vardon Score would be 12.75, not 6.21. Of course, I could be completely misunderstanding how you have come up with those numbers.

By the way, you have two entries for Peter_RS there.

markTHEblake
8th August 2006, 11:16 PM
agree completely unless otherwise stated.

4. End date is open to discussion (end of calendar year OR Ozgolf Champs) Ozgolf champs Calander year (ie Ozgolf year ends with the champs or 31 Dec whichever comes first, and begins one day afer it ends)

5. Once the dust has settled, I will update monthly. I have heard that one before.

You could create a "crone job" that runs on an SQl Server to periodically query each golf link page, pull the data from the relevant fields, into a database. Then you can use the data to display however you wish on a web page, and voila, no more work for Courty. However, do we have a skilled SQL programmer here?
(i've mentioend this before havent i)

6. The idea of basing the Title on the best 10 rounds has been bandied about.
I guess its a case of whats enough.
5 is pretty low and may reward the burglars (its hard to maintain an inflated handicap if you play all the time), and fair dinkum, 5 comps in a year - your hardly a serious golfer, and you just managed to keep your handicap.

All rounds is very high and the honest handicap has a far greater chance to be affected by a clanger - and we all have them, eg 13 on one hole.

Best 10, If someone plays 40 rounds - they are going to be hard to beat.

How about: All rounds, but if played more than 10 rounds remove 1 worst score for every 10. eg 35 rounds take off 3 worst scores. thats complicated i know - but its a nice balance of rewarding the player who plays more than the minimum, but not by two much.

P.s. Its obviously Nett scores - Courty it would be nice to see gross scores too - of course that may (or may not) be for the benefit of my ego.

AndyP
9th August 2006, 08:14 AM
I agree with OZgolf year, from Champs to Champs.

Are DQs and NCRs ignored? I guess they would have to be.

I can send you the latest list of golflink numbers that I have, if you want. This should include some updated ones too, as I notice Vegas isn't up on the leaderboard.

Courty
9th August 2006, 08:51 AM
Is the formula made up of the gross scores or the net scores? Because if it is gross scores it appears that everyone is playing to low single figure handicaps, which isn't correct. For example, if I was to use your Golf Link history and the formula you have listed above your Vardon Score would be 12.75, not 6.21. Of course, I could be completely misunderstanding how you have come up with those numbers.

It was late, I was tired. Calculation explanation has been amended... :?

I agree with OZgolf year, from Champs to Champs.

I knew someone was gonna say that. Now I gotta go back and get everyone's results from before January. #-o

Are DQs and NCRs ignored? I guess they would have to be.

I don't see any other choice since they don't provide any data to use.

agree completely unless otherwise stated.

8)

I have heard that one before.

:smt075

You could create a "crone job" that runs on an SQL Server to periodically query each golf link page, pull the data from the relevant fields, into a database. Then you can use the data to display however you wish on a web page, and voila, no more work for Courty. However, do we have a skilled SQL programmer here?
(i've mentioend this before havent i)

Yes, you have mentioned this before. I have already tried to make it work but didn't have any luck (I don't claim to be a skilled SQL programmer though).

I guess its a case of whats enough.
5 is pretty low and may reward the burglars (its hard to maintain an inflated handicap if you play all the time), and fair dinkum, 5 comps in a year - your hardly a serious golfer, and you just managed to keep your handicap.

All rounds is very high and the honest handicap has a far greater chance to be affected by a clanger - and we all have them, eg 13 on one hole.

Best 10, If someone plays 40 rounds - they are going to be hard to beat.

How about: All rounds, but if played more than 10 rounds remove 1 worst score for every 10. eg 35 rounds take off 3 worst scores. thats complicated i know - but its a nice balance of rewarding the player who plays more than the minimum, but not by two much.

Consider your comments under consideration. :mrgreen:

P.s. Its obviously Nett scores - Courty it would be nice to see gross scores too - of course that may (or may not) be for the benefit of my ego.

I have all the details in the spreadsheet, so I may (or may not) add gross scores into the leaderboard at a later date. ;)

Courty
11th August 2006, 09:39 PM
Leaderboard updated:

new additions in Green

Ducky
11th August 2006, 09:41 PM
Woo! Go me!

AndyP
11th August 2006, 09:51 PM
Can the people who just got new handicaps have rounds excluded until their handicap settles from burglar levels?

One flaw I can see from this is for those that have changed clubs during the year and had their records from their old clubs lost, for example, Iain. It may advantage or disadvantage them.

Courty
11th August 2006, 09:54 PM
Can the people who just got new handicaps have rounds excluded until their handicap settles from burglar levels?

One flaw I can see from this is for those that have changed clubs during the year and had their records from their old clubs lost, for example, Iain. It may advantage or disadvantage them.

Yeah, but how do we police it? Who decides when it's below burglar level?

AndyP
11th August 2006, 10:05 PM
What I meant to say in my first statement was: Get Rid of Ducky.

Courty
11th August 2006, 10:07 PM
What I meant to say in my first statement was: Get Rid of Ducky.

LOL. I could accidentally alter the formula so the 'ineligible' tag stays next to his name permanently. ;)

Ducky
11th August 2006, 10:13 PM
As if, I had a 16 handicap when I was 14 years old and have a 12.9 handicap now. That is not burgling!

If I become ineligible I demand drug testing for all participants.

BrisWesty
11th August 2006, 11:18 PM
I can't figure out how I've supposedly played more rounds than Nudgee, Vegas, AndyP, Jarro, andylo etc? Especially Jarro!

Toolish
11th August 2006, 11:36 PM
3 of top 4 eligible are vics...go us!!

BrisWesty
12th August 2006, 08:23 AM
So do the scores mean we all suck, or just that we can't play to our handicaps?

Courty
12th August 2006, 08:34 AM
So do the scores mean we all suck, or just that we can't play to our handicaps?

A bit of both. :lol:

markTHEblake
12th August 2006, 01:11 PM
chances are that probably on average most golfers play to the handicap around 2 or 3 out of 10 rounds and better 1 or 2 out of 10. If it was more than that your handicap would be going down.

also take it into account that golfers typically can only play 4-6 shots better than their handicap, but 10-20 worse is not unusual.

BrisVegas
12th August 2006, 08:02 PM
I can't figure out how I've supposedly played more rounds than Nudgee, Vegas, AndyP, Jarro, andylo etc? Especially Jarro!

Why would that suprise you?? You play a fair bit it seems. :smt002 I just looked at your golflink and you got 33 rounds registered in the past 12 months. I've got 22. You play more golf!

Moe Norman
12th August 2006, 08:23 PM
and there are a few ozgolf days that don't always make it to golf link

Eag's
15th August 2006, 06:00 PM
Oh great, 9.11 :oops: and people wonder why I have lost interest in this bloody game :smt092 I was working my butt off to improve and ended up playing some of the worst golf of my life ](*,)

goughy
15th August 2006, 08:25 PM
Sounds like a plan man. I should try the same. Last time at the range jaster had me trying to hit intential fades. With my feet wide open and trying to stop flipping the club over I was able to hit some gentle draws. Wot ya gonna do!! :(

Ducky
15th August 2006, 09:19 PM
Its a hard life at the top... :p

Courty
16th August 2006, 04:57 PM
Steverawlo added.

Backdated data to include any rounds between the '05 Champs and end of December '05. This has had an effect on some rankings as some people played a few rounds towards the end of the year.

I have also added the average Gross scores as per Blakey's request.

AndyP
16th August 2006, 05:00 PM
I'm impressed with my average gross, and even more impressed with nudgees....... Might want to check your formula, Courty.

Grunt
16th August 2006, 05:02 PM
Wow 54 rounds and that is not including some of the OzGolf rounds that have been not competition rounds & the other social rounds.

goughy
16th August 2006, 05:20 PM
Don't touch the average gross. I love mine :)

markTHEblake
16th August 2006, 05:28 PM
The gross scores are out of whack becuase some of your rounds were counted as "0" instead of not counted. I think the same happened for the nett as well.

Grunt
16th August 2006, 05:34 PM
Courty, could you add Handicaps to the table so we can see where we rate amongst players of similar handicap?

Courty
16th August 2006, 07:12 PM
Oops. :oops:

I was messing with some formulas this arve and in my haste to update this thread, I didn't check them thoroughly. I have fixed it now and will update shortly...

Edit: Leaderboard is now updated.

Moe Norman
16th August 2006, 07:49 PM
wish I was on the US hcp system - my ave gross of 85 would give me a nice juicy hcp

BrisVegas
16th August 2006, 07:52 PM
Are the gross scores the "actual" gross scores or are they adjusted somehow to reflect the par or the ACR of the courses played??

I'm not disputing my number, by the way. I always felt I was averaging low-mid 80's.

AndyP
16th August 2006, 07:55 PM
More proof that 990B is a burglar.

Moe Norman
16th August 2006, 07:56 PM
my excel spreadsheet here at home where I keep stats and scores on (not in relation to CCR) gives me an average of 83. But that includes non-golf link rounds.

I reckon its pretty spot on

Courty
16th August 2006, 08:35 PM
Are the gross scores the "actual" gross scores or are they adjusted somehow to reflect the par or the ACR of the courses played??

I'm not disputing my number, by the way. I always felt I was averaging low-mid 80's.

I have calculated the average gross thus:

Total Gross Scores ÷ No. of Complete Rounds* = Average Gross

* Any rounds recorded as DQs or NCRs do not provide scores, so they have not been included in either the scores or the number of rounds.

BrisVegas
16th August 2006, 08:42 PM
righto, i need to start playing some par 65 courses to improve my number!

Ducky
16th August 2006, 09:59 PM
Love your work, Courty.

Jarro
17th August 2006, 01:15 AM
nice job Courty, well done mate 8)

AndyP
17th August 2006, 10:30 AM
Courty, you could just make the gross column, the average of the played to column in golflink instead. As BV said, it's not a good indicator if CCR is 68 versus 72 elsewhere.

Courty
17th August 2006, 10:44 AM
Courty, you could just make the gross column, the average of the played to column in golflink instead. As BV said, it's not a good indicator if CCR is 68 versus 72 elsewhere.

Good point, Andy. All the courses around here are par 72. I forgot about the shorter courses. I've adjusted it to your suggested method and will update the leaderboard shortly...

Bruce
17th August 2006, 10:58 AM
So I'm a mug :(

But a consistent mug :|

Who sits near the top of the table :)

Courty
17th August 2006, 11:00 AM
So I'm a mug :(

But a consistent mug :|

Who sits near the top of the table :)

That's the name of the game, Bruce.
Until Ducky gets some more rounds in, you're the man to chase...

brad
17th August 2006, 01:52 PM
And it's going to be harder for those already with many games under their belts to catch you .. well done.

Ducky - An average vardon of -2.33 after 3 games is just plain rude ;)

Moe Norman
17th August 2006, 02:35 PM
nice.

I play to just over double my handicap on average.

Jarro
17th August 2006, 02:51 PM
you're a real talent Moe, don't let anyone tell you otherwise ;)

chappy1970
17th August 2006, 03:13 PM
Go Vics Whoo Hoo

Ducky
17th August 2006, 07:05 PM
Oh well I'm falling down the list after todays effort. I gave new meaning to the word 'hack' today.

dc68
25th August 2006, 02:24 PM
Can I ask that my scores count only from the date I signed up for Ozgolf? i.e 9th March.

Courty
25th August 2006, 03:22 PM
Can I ask that my scores count only from the date I signed up for Ozgolf? i.e 9th March.

Why?

dc68
25th August 2006, 03:51 PM
i thought it might be better score wise. :(

Grunt
19th September 2006, 04:48 PM
When is the next update Courty? I might have improved a little, on another note I think Ducky might be closer to eligible soon too. Noticed his name on the results page for Bathurst GC a few times in recent weeks.

AndyP
19th September 2006, 04:49 PM
But Ducky is gaawwwwwnnnn.

Grunt
19th September 2006, 04:51 PM
Ohh. Thought it may be have been a temporary measure.

Courty
19th September 2006, 04:57 PM
With the Champs being so close, I was considering keeping it 'silent' like the Dally M voting, so there's no forgone conclusions as to who the winner will be.

Grunt
19th September 2006, 04:59 PM
Oh the secrecy, I get it. I know I have not got a hope in hells chance that is all.It would be good to see how the top 5 play the Champs knowing how a Good or Bad round would affect the result.

Ducky
19th September 2006, 06:22 PM
But Ducky is gaawwwwwnnnn.
Don't worry, I'll be there on awards night.

Toolish
19th September 2006, 06:42 PM
Ducky is back...back again!!

Update would be nice...reckon I may have improved a fraction..

Ducky
15th October 2006, 08:54 PM
Courty?

Courty
16th October 2006, 01:48 PM
Yes?

dc68
16th October 2006, 01:55 PM
Ahem....... where is your +1?

+1

Ducky
16th October 2006, 02:57 PM
Yes?
So... are we getting an update on this puppy?

terryand
16th October 2006, 07:16 PM
Give the man a break, he's 7000Kms from home :-s

Terry.

Grunt
16th October 2006, 07:17 PM
That all, 7000's nothin' ;)

terryand
16th October 2006, 07:19 PM
Actually it 4473.25Kms

Did the racq travel thingy.

Terry.

Grunt
16th October 2006, 07:20 PM
Even less of an excuse;)

Ducky
16th October 2006, 07:52 PM
He hasn't got his sticks, he would have the time of his life updating the rankings.

:lol:

AndyP
16th October 2006, 08:03 PM
Actually it 4473.25Kms

Did the racq travel thingy.
He didn't travel by car, so it's even less. Bloody sook.

Courty
16th October 2006, 10:12 PM
Bad news is, I don't have the Vardon spreadsheet with me. Good news is, I may be coming home on or around the 27th. So I may still get to update it for the Champs presentations.

Ducky
6th November 2006, 09:56 PM
Well...?

Courty
6th November 2006, 09:59 PM
Hehe. :oops:

Sorry. I've been busier than anticipated. But I haven't forgotten.

AndyP
6th November 2006, 10:40 PM
Make sure the winner is likeable, Courty.

peter_rs
6th November 2006, 10:50 PM
Bruce has that covered.

Courty
22nd November 2006, 12:54 PM
Whew, what a marathon bloody effort that was.
The Vardon results have now been finalised (see leaderboard below) better late than never.

http://www.geocities.com/c0urty/Other/Vardon.jpg

A few other points of interest:

Best Gross Round: Scotty_G - 64 at Riverlakes 04/01/06
Worst Gross Round: Grunt - 128 at Pacific Dunes 25/03/06
Best Nett Round: Shavey - 47 points at Lakelands 18/12/05
Worst Nett Round: AndyP - 98 at Pacific GC 29/09/06
Most Rounds: Grunt - 70 (10 rounds more than 2nd place :shock:)

Grunt
22nd November 2006, 01:06 PM
Sorry Guy's that worst round was not if fact that bad.
It was caused by the guy organising the golf trip not putting everyones cards in. I actually had 37 points at Pacific Dunes that day. Pacific Dunes put everyones result in as 0 points.

Jarro
22nd November 2006, 01:32 PM
cool, i beat Vegas :mrgreen:

Bruce
22nd November 2006, 01:33 PM
70 rounds Grunt!!! Bloody Hell that is impressive.

Courty - why are Rusty, Speirsy and Fishy in green on the list?

Courty
22nd November 2006, 01:42 PM
Courty - why are Rusty, Speirsy and Fishy in green on the list?

Members in Green signify that they have been added in the latest update.

:roll: ;)

amanda
22nd November 2006, 01:58 PM
Um - so does Bruce now post the award to Ducky? (bruce was given the vardon prize at the champs)

PeteyD
22nd November 2006, 02:13 PM
So have you started on the next one yet?

Jarro
22nd November 2006, 02:14 PM
Um - so does Bruce now post the award to Ducky? (bruce was given the vardon prize at the champs)

All depends if Ducky wants the prize or not ??

Courty
22nd November 2006, 02:15 PM
No. Ducky advised me he did not want to be considered for the title. I wasn't asked to reverse that request before the Champs, so the title stays with Bruce.
As this years Vardon was a trial run (it was only started midway through the year) it won't go on the Honourboard.

Courty
22nd November 2006, 02:16 PM
So have you started on the next one yet?

Yes. Why's that?

Bruce
22nd November 2006, 02:17 PM
As this years Vardon was a trial run (it was only started midway through the year) it won't go on the Honourboard.

:cry:

Fair enough though.

PeteyD
22nd November 2006, 02:56 PM
Yes. Why's that?

Is the scoreboard up yet?

Courty
22nd November 2006, 03:00 PM
Is the scoreboard up yet?

Errr. No. It's less than a month since the start.

Toolish
22nd November 2006, 03:03 PM
Early leader would be good to see...what was the date for first round of new season? Is it the monday after champs weekend?

AndyP
22nd November 2006, 03:08 PM
Me me me me me. Now now now now.

Courty
22nd November 2006, 03:10 PM
The majority of people only have 2 rounds recorded since then. Not really enough sample data to mean anything at this stage. However, Iain is currently leading Amanda by a full point.

PeteyD
22nd November 2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks Courty!

Courty
22nd November 2006, 03:19 PM
what was the date for first round of new season? Is it the monday after champs weekend?

Correct.
I will start a 2007 Vardon thread soon and add the new leaderboard when there is some more meaningful data to go in it. At this stage, no one has played the minimum rounds required to gain eligibility for the title.

Grunt
22nd November 2006, 04:25 PM
My golflink has turned to crap again with the new and the old getting mixed up. For some reason the old number is still valid.

Grunt
2nd February 2007, 06:36 PM
Courty,

Are you going to run this again this year?

Courty
2nd February 2007, 06:48 PM
Yes. It's already underway. I'll do an update soon.

Grunt
2nd February 2007, 06:51 PM
Kool