PDA

View Full Version : SA: March 17th - Echunga

nadg63
18th February 2019, 11:01 AM
Has been proposed to head to Echunga for our March get-together, having only been there once before many years ago I'm good with that!

Have now booked 3 groups, first tee time 7am.

1. Nadg63 - most unlikely, injured!
2. Flavzz
3. Wazamac
4. Hatchman
5. Coalesce (pencil)
6. Thecollective
7. Hard_Pan
8. Marcel (pencil)

Flavzz
18th February 2019, 11:23 AM
17th is good for me.

wazamac
18th February 2019, 12:01 PM
Only been to Echunga once and vowed never to go back.

Will give it one more chance, either day fine with me.

Hatchman
18th February 2019, 01:23 PM
Either day is ok with me.
It’s been around 15yrs since I played it last.
Wasn’t a fan of then but willing to see what it’s like now.

nadg63
18th February 2019, 02:14 PM
Only been to Echunga once and vowed never to go back.

Will give it one more chance, either day fine with me.

Either day is ok with me.
It’s been around 15yrs since I played it last.
Wasn’t a fan of then but willing to see what it’s like now.

It's going to have to try pretty hard to be worse than yesterday lol :lol:

coalesce
18th February 2019, 03:08 PM
It was a bog last time I played there, but I can potentially do either date

Chilled
19th February 2019, 10:53 AM
Hmmmm, Echunga : ( Not an overly exciting course.

thecollective
19th February 2019, 11:33 AM
Hmmmm, Echunga : ( Not an overly exciting course.

Not sure if this really impacts you considering your attendance rate

Chilled
19th February 2019, 11:38 AM
Not sure if this really impacts you considering your attendance rateAwwwwww, are you missing me.

When there's a course I want to play I'll register my interest.

thecollective
19th February 2019, 11:45 AM
Awwwwww, are you missing me.

When there's a course I want to play I'll register my interest.

We had a game @ RA the other week? been to Compass as well, both quality tracks

How about you put your money where your mouth is and setup a Sunday game @ Kooey

Chilled
19th February 2019, 11:50 AM
We had a game @ RA the other week? been to Compass as well, both quality tracksAlready play RA quite a few times during the year. Already played Compass a short while before the last outing.

How about you put your money where your mouth is and setup a Sunday game @ KooeyOffered many times to the Vines crew, years back, no interest. Happy to, any time if you tightasses want to cough up some coin.

thecollective
19th February 2019, 11:54 AM
Already play RA quite a few times during the year. Already played Compass a short while before the last outing.

Offered many times to the Vines crew, years back, no interest. Happy to, any time if you tightasses want to cough up some coin.

Im sure our latest new SA members will jump at the opportunity to play Kooyonga with you

Chilled
19th February 2019, 11:55 AM
Im sure our latest new SA members will jump at the opportunity to play Kooyonga with youMost correct you've ever been. It's a wonderful track.

thecollective
19th February 2019, 12:08 PM
Most correct you've ever been. It's a wonderful track.

It is, I love the history behind the club and what Herbert went through to route the course (with his dog by his side) when he decided to purchase this (considered at the time by the locals, channeling Shrek here) 'swamp' at Lockleys.

I would love the club to return to the original roots of what it once was, a natural undulating dune land. Arguably the best land for golf in the CBD.

Hatchman
19th February 2019, 01:33 PM
Lets get this back to wonderful course that has been decided on in Echunder er ......... Echunga
Now is the best time to be playing it before the rain comes and it turns to the usual unpleasant sloppy Bog Hole.

Flavzz
19th February 2019, 01:35 PM
Should be good! What blades this time Hatchy?

Hatchman
19th February 2019, 02:05 PM
I really need to shaft up the AMP Cell Pro's with the Modus 120's to see what the shafts are like more than the heads as I liked them with DG s200's.
Failing that I do have another set of mint condition Titleist Blades that just need shafts in them.
Or I could go left field and go the illegal clubs. Callaway ERC II and Ping Eye 2 BeCu (mine are legal) I need to put extenders in these to get the swing weight up though.

I need to spend a couple of days in the man Cave.
1. AMC Cell Pros - glue shafts and fit grips
2. Glue up Titleist 690 MB heads with DG s300's (already Gripped??)
3. Finish new Club Rack

nadg63
19th February 2019, 07:47 PM
Regarding the 'inputs' above:-

It's mainly a social outing, we can get on there on a Sunday morning, (I believe, yet to phone), very few of the usual participants have memberships/HC's anymore so this catch-up is their once a month hack, and as mentioned this is the better time of year to venture there as def not a winter venue! Also, for the northern folk, it's not 'too' far south!

thecollective
19th February 2019, 10:08 PM
Will be there with bells on,

Hatch / Marcel want a lift? I have a 7 seat Honda now, very comfortable!

Hard_Pan
19th February 2019, 10:20 PM
17th works for me.

marcel
19th February 2019, 11:23 PM
tc, I'll take a lift if I can make it, won't know til closer

Either date

Chilled
20th February 2019, 06:01 AM
I would love the club to return to the original roots of what it once was, a natural undulating dune land.You're not a golf course architect. Maybe stick to stuff you DO know about. Maybe put your money where your mouth is and become a golf course architect, and let's see how far you go :D

As for Echunda, not overly keen for the bog hole :p

Hatchman
20th February 2019, 07:58 AM
Will be there with bells on,

Hatch / Marcel want a lift? I have a 7 seat Honda now, very comfortable!

Cheers for the offer of lift. Will let you know if I'll take up the offer once I know if I have any after Golf commitments.

It's looking like March 17 is the front runner.
So far we have.

1. Nadg63
2. Flavzz
3. Wazamac
4. Hatchman
5. Coalesce (pencil)
6. Thecollective
7. Hard_Pan
8. Marcel (pencil)

nadg63
20th February 2019, 05:19 PM
Okay, have booked 3 groups in case we need that many, (can always drop one prior to the day if req'd).

First tee time is 7am :)

nadg63
3rd March 2019, 10:23 AM
At the moment there are 2 groups attending; anyone else interested plus any updates on who is/isn't going as I have booked 3 groups so can cancel one if need be!?

marcel
3rd March 2019, 09:13 PM
Suggestions for after game food/drink

Went to www.lot100.com.au today, very good.
Stirling Hotel

Both within 20 mins of Echunga

Benje
3rd March 2019, 11:01 PM
Lot100 is on the outskirts of Nairne.

Hatchman
4th March 2019, 02:46 PM
Anywhere the Schnit is good is A ok.

Benje
4th March 2019, 07:45 PM
No Schnit, pizzas.

thecollective
4th March 2019, 08:02 PM

Went to www.lot100.com.au today, very good.
Stirling Hotel

Sounds good to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flavzz
4th March 2019, 08:45 PM
Any good bakeries up that way?

Hatchman
4th March 2019, 08:46 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaat no Schnit :(
Good thing I like Pizza :D

Hard_Pan
4th March 2019, 10:01 PM
Any good bakeries up that way?

Otto's in Hahndorf is the best, closest to the course.

nadg63
5th March 2019, 06:48 PM

Went to www.lot100.com.au (http://www.lot100.com.au) today, very good.
Stirling Hotel

Does this mean you will be participating 'M' !?

marcel
6th March 2019, 12:05 AM
Does this mean you will be participating 'M' !?

Almost certainly

Hatchman
6th March 2019, 03:59 PM
'M' Sounds like Men in Black talk

nadg63
6th March 2019, 04:52 PM
'M' Sounds like Men in Black talk

More 'James Bond' :)

thecollective
7th March 2019, 07:46 PM
Not sure if Marcel will appreciate a Judy Dench familiarity

nadg63
7th March 2019, 08:29 PM
Not sure if Marcel will appreciate a Judy Dench familiarity

It's Ralph Fiennes now :wink:

thecollective
8th March 2019, 06:08 PM
thinking I might get out the persimmon as I will need to be entertained by other aspects of golf besides the course.

Hatch / Marcel are you playing retro?

Flavzz
8th March 2019, 07:53 PM
I'm expecting irons in the mail this week. If they don't come I'll throw the Titleist Tour Model Blades in the bag. Thecollective - What irons will you game?

thecollective
8th March 2019, 07:56 PM
I'm expecting irons in the mail this week. If they don't come I'll throw the Titleist Tour Model Blades in the bag. Thecollective - What irons will you game?

Probably the Macgregor VIP's (90's release) cavity, the 70's blades need some shaft extension (no homo) and some new grips.

The musical putter gets a guernsey as well

marcel
8th March 2019, 10:48 PM
Marcel are you playing retro?

My retro clubs are in storage, so no

wazamac
12th March 2019, 08:00 AM
I wont be playing retro either.

There will be no 70's, 80's or even 90's anywhere near my bag................................ or scorecard. :cry:

thecollective
12th March 2019, 08:03 PM
Might go titanium now, will still game the Macgregors and give Marcel’s 3wood a go

Hatchman
13th March 2019, 06:46 PM
I haven't decided what bats I'm taking yet.
I really want to shaft up the AMP Cell pros with the Modus 120's but not sure I'll get the shed time to get them done.

thecollective
13th March 2019, 06:49 PM
Hatch: do you have swing club weights? I know you have a scale

Hatchman
13th March 2019, 07:01 PM
Hatch: do you have swing club weights? I know you have a scale

Yes, I do have a swing weight scale.
I don't have any tip weights for putting in the ends of shafts.
I do have a roll of lead tape for making clubs look unsightly though.
I haven't got into messing around with swing weights apart from the easy method of adding extenders which will get the swing weight up a bit.

Flavzz
13th March 2019, 08:10 PM
I haven't decided what bats I'm taking yet.I really want to shaft up the AMP Cell pros with the Modus 120's but not sure I'll get the shed time to get them done. Less yapping, more gluing!

nadg63
13th March 2019, 10:01 PM
You guys put way too much thought in to this :)

thecollective
14th March 2019, 11:12 AM
You guys put way too much thought in to this :)

If the course aint that good, it's the only thing that's gonna keep you interested

nadg63
16th March 2019, 09:30 AM
Sincere apologies all, managed to stuff my back at work yesterday and am pretty much immobile now so unless a miracle occurs there is no way I'll be able to make tomorrow, (at the moment I could not even manage the drive there let alone play golf) :(

Have passed the booking details on to Flavzz but for everyone else as per the OP first tee time is 7am, (3 groups booked but will try and cancel one today as only need two), and booking is under Neil/Ozgolf.

Have fun out there, pissed off that I'm injured - why did it have to happen for the only golfing Sunday of the month! :roll:

thecollective
16th March 2019, 09:15 PM
Was going through the shed and found my old 975J, I thought ‘stuff it, put it in the bag’.

Was a big head for its time but seems so small compared to a 460cc. Going to be interesting tomorrow as I have not gamed it since 2008 when I was playing about 2 rounds a year

coalesce
17th March 2019, 01:30 AM
Whoever had 1am the night before in the sweep wins the chocolates

Had fully intended to go but held back from committing as I know what I’m like getting up in the morning as it is.

The Fringe show I went to ended later than anticipated and I value my sleep more than getting angry at a little white ball first thing in the morning!

Have a good one all!

thecollective
17th March 2019, 08:30 PM
thanks for the hit guys, as always the company was great and good to see the course has come a large step forward since I last played there many years ago.

Surprise packet for me was the 975J driver. Went so well off the tee, amazing how much distance you can get with the old bat.

Lunch was magnificent, Stirling seems like such a good place for food. I know the Bakery there is also top shelf

Hatchman
17th March 2019, 09:12 PM
Thanks to all in attendance for the great company making it a great day.
How was the two Roos having a spar session only meters away from not caring we were there?
Special thanks to Flavvs and Waz for the use of their putters as this dill forgot to put one in the bag after pulling it out the club rack when loading the bag with the days selection. Very happy with the JDM TRPX Driver today. Only hit one shocker when turning an intended draw onto a snap hook.
Took a few holes to get used to the distance with Flavvs hot face Cleveland ballistic bullet putter. Has it been COR tested as putts just fly off the face?
Stirling Hotel is a nice place for lunch minus the persistent European Wasp(s) wanting to share lunch. Disappoint I didn’t have the Pork thing that TC had as that was a huge chunk of Pork and looked great.

Now for the course which we’ve all given a fair bit of stick. Happy to say this course has improved greatly from what it was many years ago.
No glitter required for Echunga now as it’s quite good for what it is. Wouldn’t go there in winter still but more than happy to have more rounds there in the dryer times of the year. It’s still got some quirky doglegs and the tiny upside down saucer greens but it’s much more playable than what it used to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wazamac
18th March 2019, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the hit boys and lunch after.
Still had enough time for a quick nanna nap prior to the F1 race.
Only played Echunga once before and vowed never to return but as Hatch said, it has improved greatly.
All they need to do is put some heaters around the course until the sun comes up!

nadg63
18th March 2019, 12:34 PM
Good to see that the feedback re the course has been so positive as it was a bit of a gamble booking there!

thecollective
18th March 2019, 01:19 PM
Good to see that the feedback re the course has been so positive as it was a bit of a gamble booking there!

I'll be the first to put my hand up and state that I was wrong. I think it's a good feeling though when you return to a course (first time in 6+ years etc.) and notice a significant improvement.

Flavzz
19th March 2019, 10:16 PM
Thanks to all in attendance for the great company making it a great day.How was the two Roos having a spar session only meters away from not caring we were there?Special thanks to Flavvs and Waz for the use of their putters as this dill forgot to put one in the bag after pulling it out the club rack when loading the bag with the days selection. Very happy with the JDM TRPX Driver today. Only hit one shocker when turning an intended draw onto a snap hook.Took a few holes to get used to the distance with Flavvs hot face Cleveland ballistic bullet putter. Has it been COR tested as putts just fly off the face?Stirling Hotel is a nice place for lunch minus the persistent European Wasp(s) wanting to share lunch. Disappoint I didn’t have the Pork thing that TC had as that was a huge chunk of Pork and looked great.Now for the course which we’ve all given a fair bit of stick. Happy to say this course has improved greatly from what it was many years ago. No glitter required for Echunga now as it’s quite good for what it is. Wouldn’t go there in winter still but more than happy to have more rounds there in the dryer times of the year. It’s still got some quirky doglegs and the tiny upside down saucer greens but it’s much more playable than what it used to be.Sent from my iPad using TapatalkYou'll be happy to know I've sent the putter off to Cleveland for COR testing Hatchy. I thought the course was generally enjoyable and whilst I didn't acclimatise to my new clubs well I did enjoy the walk. Agree the greens were a bit one dimensional but being able to play a sub 4 hour round on a Sunday amongst fighting kangaroos is a nice change.Also how Waza lost that ball on 14 in the lowest cut, most baron open rough I've ever seen is a true mystery.

Hard_Pan
19th March 2019, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the hit guys; enjoyable as usual and that is the fastest I've ever done 18 on that course.

I'm pleased everyone enjoyed the course. As mentioned, the course was in pretty good nick, but I've played it when it was even better.

I posted this in the 'SA, no so good course' thread on 4 January 2017:

"Played the back nine at Echunga last night (well, 8 - the 17th is being completely rebuilt). First time in a couple of years and I must say, I've never seen it in such good condition. And I've been playing here for 20 years.

As far as the fairways are concerned, the old saying that you can't polish a t*rd definitely does not apply, they are really quite good; like a thick, green carpet. Even, firm under foot but just enough give to allow you to hit down on the ball with confidence. Only slightly patchy area was at the bend on the 13th. The rest was like a big green wall to wall carpet."

Shame some of the greens are still domes though they're slow enough to hold the ball in most cases.

I will see if I can play the front nine soon to check if the improvements are across the board.

Regardless, some serious coin seems to have been spent here recently."

nadg63
24th March 2019, 08:51 AM
Who is picking the April venue then!?