PDA

View Full Version : Playing into the wind

Jono
7th February 2019, 11:07 AM
With the upcoming Vic champs at Barnbougle, I thought this might be a good time to ask low markers and good wind players how they keep the ball in play in the wind.

I have no problem with down wind or even side wind but when the wind is into me, I find it hard to keep the ball straight. It seems to magnify any sort of side spin on the ball and too much backspin means the ball will balloon up and make distance control difficult.

What’s your strategy playing a hole, especially a tight one, into the wind?

Dotty
7th February 2019, 11:15 AM
Keep the driver clubhead speed down below 84mph.

:)

Jono
7th February 2019, 11:24 AM
Keep the driver clubhead speed down below 84mph.:)Ha ha. One thing that does seem to work for me is to choke down on the driver by 1-2 inches and tee it low and put what I feel like a 9 iron swing on it.

Ferrins
7th February 2019, 01:12 PM
Just hit it back in the stance, to keep it low and if possible get some grass behind the ball to lessen spin. To the green choke down and take extra club. In the bunker shut eyes quickly after hit, here you have an edge. On the green widen stance. Choice of ball can help.

LeftyHoges
7th February 2019, 02:26 PM
With the upcoming Vic champs at Barnbougle, I thought this might be a good time to ask low markers and good wind players how they keep the ball in play in the wind.

I have no problem with down wind or even side wind but when the wind is into me, I find it hard to keep the ball straight. It seems to magnify any sort of side spin on the ball and too much backspin means the ball will balloon up and make distance control difficult.

What’s your strategy playing a hole, especially a tight one, into the wind?

Welcome to physics, it beith a heartless bitch.

Essentially there's not a lot you can do in the grand scheme of things into the breeze. Take more club, swing slower to reduce backspin (stop ballooning) and sidespin (amplified into the wind), but focus on hitting through your shot, chasing it down your target line. If you're confident enough that you can play a shot on demand, play a draw. It'll effectively lower your ballflight, and if YOU KNOW that ball is going to move right to left for you (and it's just the amount that varies) then you now have 40 yards of fairway to hit instead of 20 each side.

Webster
7th February 2019, 02:50 PM
Hit it lower and straight.

3Puttpete
7th February 2019, 04:09 PM
Hit it harder

Jono
7th February 2019, 04:31 PM
Welcome to physics, it beith a heartless bitch.Essentially there's not a lot you can do in the grand scheme of things into the breeze. Take more club, swing slower to reduce backspin (stop ballooning) and sidespin (amplified into the wind), but focus on hitting through your shot, chasing it down your target line. If you're confident enough that you can play a shot on demand, play a draw. It'll effectively lower your ballflight, and if YOU KNOW that ball is going to move right to left for you (and it's just the amount that varies) then you now have 40 yards of fairway to hit instead of 20 each side.Cool. Thanks mate.It certainly takes some confidence and trust to be able to put a good swing on it when you’re hitting into a 40mph head wind.

Jono
7th February 2019, 04:31 PM
Hit it harder Nooooooooo!

JoeS
7th February 2019, 06:04 PM
For me it more depends on the length of the hole.If a 360 par 4 then I just accept that I might not be their in 2,I cant hit most par 5's in 2 anyway so I would probably go something like 4 iron and 4 iron and then something to the green.Other than that I have been learning to tee the ball lower and take a bit off my swing and try to hit a little draw

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

3Puttpete
7th February 2019, 06:09 PM
Nooooooooo!

Blade it?

JoeS
7th February 2019, 06:16 PM
Blade it?Putter

Jono
7th February 2019, 06:52 PM
Welcome to physics, it beith a heartless bitch.Essentially there's not a lot you can do in the grand scheme of things into the breeze. Take more club, swing slower to reduce backspin (stop ballooning) and sidespin (amplified into the wind), but focus on hitting through your shot, chasing it down your target line. If you're confident enough that you can play a shot on demand, play a draw. It'll effectively lower your ballflight, and if YOU KNOW that ball is going to move right to left for you (and it's just the amount that varies) then you now have 40 yards of fairway to hit instead of 20 each side.It was blowing a pretty stiff noreasterly today and our club driving range faces east so it was a left to right head wind. I dropped by on my way home and hit about 50 shots. I was trying to hit a little knowck down shots which worked well for irons but not so well with the driver. The club pro was walking past and showed me to hit draws with a relatively normal trajectory that the wind hardly seemed to touch. It highlighted exactly what you said.

Jono
7th February 2019, 06:55 PM
For me it more depends on the length of the hole.If a 360 par 4 then I just accept that I might not be their in 2,I cant hit most par 5's in 2 anyway so I would probably go something like 4 iron and 4 iron and then something to the green.Other than that I have been learning to tee the ball lower and take a bit off my swing and try to hit a little drawSent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkYeah, I’m happy to concede that I’m not going to hit some greens in reg into the wind. Where I really struggle is the sideways dispersion into the wind. Little fade becomes a big slice and draw becomes a hook.

LeftyHoges
7th February 2019, 06:55 PM
It was blowing a pretty stiff noreasterly today and our club driving range faces east so it was a left to right head wind. I dropped by on my way home and hit about 50 shots. I was trying to hit a little knowck down shots which worked well for irons but not so well with the driver. The club pro was walking past and showed me to hit draws with a relatively normal trajectory that the wind hardly seemed to touch. It highlighted exactly what you said.When I'm not drunk, stoned or knee deep in hooker blood, I do make some good points. ;-)

Jono
7th February 2019, 07:00 PM
When I'm not drunk, stoned or knee deep in hooker blood, I do make some good points. ;-) 😂

benno_r
7th February 2019, 07:02 PM
When I'm not drunk, stoned or knee deep in hooker blood, I do make some good points. ;-)

Hang on, isn't that when you make your best points?

JoeS
7th February 2019, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I’m happy to concede that I’m not going to hit some greens in reg into the wind. Where I really struggle is the sideways dispersion into the wind. Little fade becomes a big slice and draw becomes a hook.I know this sounds a bit simple,but if you stand on the tee and start to worry about something like head wind and the result before you have even teed off,then you are already beaten.If you stand on the tee and accept what is in front of you,then you will be less stressed,more focused on setting up a plan to play the hole,and end result should be a par.But if you hit a big block or hook,well then that is golf,throw the driver in the trees and go buy a new putter[emoji1787]

LeftyHoges
7th February 2019, 07:55 PM
Hang on, isn't that when you make your best points?Correct. I make good points when I'm not, but my best points when I am.

PerryGroves
7th February 2019, 09:42 PM
A shank is wind indifferent

BUSHY
8th February 2019, 11:23 AM
Dont forget the phrase "When its breezy swing easy"

3Puttpete
8th February 2019, 11:39 AM
Dont forget the phrase "When its breezy swing easy"

Never heard it but I do know the following:

When it's airy don't swing like a fairy
When it's gusty swing it lusty

and from the old links golfers, If the waves are crashing give it a thrashing

Rodent
8th February 2019, 12:07 PM
I shot 9 over off the back tees at Barnbougle on a windy day with a very simple game plan. I just hit cuts all day because I know I can do them reliably. Not a great shot in the wind but I was able to hit almost every fairway and not lose any balls. If it took me an extra shot to get to the green no problem. Just keep it in play by playing shots you find reliable and comfortable.

BUSHY
8th February 2019, 12:16 PM
Never heard it but I do know the following:

When it's airy don't swing like a fairy
When it's gusty swing it lusty

and from the old links golfers, If the waves are crashing give it a thrashing

I think it was a Gary Player quote.

Captain Nemo
8th February 2019, 02:08 PM
I shot 9 over off the back tees at Barnbougle on a windy day with a very simple game plan. I just hit cuts all day because I know I can do them reliably. Not a great shot in the wind but I was able to hit almost every fairway and not lose any balls. If it took me an extra shot to get to the green no problem. Just keep it in play by playing shots you find reliable and comfortable.But your a Playa! ;)

Yossarian
8th February 2019, 02:39 PM
Never heard it but I do know the following:When it's airy don't swing like a fairyWhen it's gusty swing it lustyand from the old links golfers, If the waves are crashing give it a thrashingBlowing a gale, make it hail.

Jono
8th February 2019, 02:47 PM
I shot 9 over off the back tees at Barnbougle on a windy day with a very simple game plan. I just hit cuts all day because I know I can do them reliably. Not a great shot in the wind but I was able to hit almost every fairway and not lose any balls. If it took me an extra shot to get to the green no problem. Just keep it in play by playing shots you find reliable and comfortable.Yeah, being able to keep it in play seems to be the key.

Captain Nemo
8th February 2019, 02:48 PM
Just skip the holes into the wind if it’s a problem....?

Jono
8th February 2019, 02:50 PM
Still haven’t heard from th master of wind play, Captain Nemo. He shot 45 points at Vic Champs last year when the rest of us were struggling to stay standing in that wind.

Jono
8th February 2019, 02:51 PM
Just skip the holes into the wind if it’s a problem....? Keeping it tight to your chest? 😉

Captain Nemo
8th February 2019, 03:12 PM
Just make birdies downwind!

wazandnic
8th February 2019, 03:23 PM
Still haven’t heard from th master of wind play, Captain Nemo. He shot 45 points at Vic Champs last year when the rest of us were struggling to stay standing in that wind.

low center of gravity helps... especially with those meaty calves! ;)

Jono
8th February 2019, 03:23 PM
Lot of it is psychological I’m sure.

3Puttpete
8th February 2019, 04:31 PM
Blowing a gale, make it hail.

When it’s galey swing like John Daley

Dcanto
8th February 2019, 07:50 PM
When it’s galey swing like John Daley When it's damp swing like Terence Stamp?

AndyP
8th February 2019, 11:19 PM
That's called handicap management.

Ferrins
9th February 2019, 05:14 AM

Drinking light beer has it's advantages.

Ferrins
9th February 2019, 05:22 AM
Butterfly flaps can cause tee shot snaps.

Captain Nemo
9th February 2019, 07:59 AM
Still haven’t heard from th master of wind play, Captain Nemo. He shot 45 points at Vic Champs last year when the rest of us were struggling to stay standing in that wind. It was 43pts. I play in the wind most rounds so it deosnt bother me. Windier it is, more I like it!

Captain Nemo
9th February 2019, 08:00 AM
Drinking light beer has it's advantages. I don’t drink pre round.

goughy
9th February 2019, 11:07 AM
I just accept it's gonna take me 4 shots to get in the Greenside bunker rather than the usual 3! Even more if it's a par 4 ;) ;)

JoeS
9th February 2019, 02:46 PM
Played in strong gusty wind today.Clubbed down and hit a draw punch on a few holes that seemed to work.Hit the driver to get the wind to help sideways on a few holes but in the end just have to concede less distance off the tee and play handicap golf

BUSHY
9th February 2019, 04:56 PM
Some of these clowns down at 13th Beach need to tune into this thread.

Could do with the tips.

Captain Nemo
9th February 2019, 05:32 PM
Some of these clowns down at 13th Beach need to tune into this thread.

Could do with the tips.

:lol:

Hatchman
9th February 2019, 06:06 PM
Blade it?

Thin to win.

When Ben Hogan was asked by a reporter what was he was going to do when plying in the strong winds usually accustomed to the British Open? “Hit it out of the bottom groove” was the response. Must be good advise as he won The Open.