PDA

View Full Version : Ping advice

Choppa
7th August 2006, 09:33 AM
Folks,

My old man loves his Ping putter and wedges, so he is going to purchase a full set when he is down here in a couple of weeks. He wants me to take him somewhere to get properly fitted, so I thought I would ask for suggestions......

I was just going to go down to Drummond. In the absense of a Ping factory in Brisbane, is Drummond the best way to go?

jaster
7th August 2006, 09:39 AM
Choppa - I would say also try the Golf Works at the Gabba as well. I know that they are not everyones favourite place but I have personally purchased a cheap set of PINGs from them in the past and also know that goughy and my father also got i3+s off them for cheap. They always seem to have a pretty good selection and did a proper PING fitting for me even though I went second hand and even arranged PING to change the lie angles for no charge. I went in on a Tuesday for the fitting and they had my irons to PING the next day and I was hitting them in Toowoomba on the Friday afternoon...I was totally shocked at the awsome service.

I hope this helps.

3oneday
7th August 2006, 09:47 AM
Get fitted, then send me the details ;)

andylo
7th August 2006, 09:58 AM
Get fitted, then send me the details ;)

I will opt for that option too.

rick3003
7th August 2006, 10:00 AM
Folks,

My old man loves his Ping putter and wedges, so he is going to purchase a full set when he is down here in a couple of weeks. He wants me to take him somewhere to get properly fitted, so I thought I would ask for suggestions......

I was just going to go down to Drummond. In the absense of a Ping factory in Brisbane, is Drummond the best way to go?
Going direct to Ping is not always the best option! I got fitted from the PING factory is Sydney. Full set of i5 irons. The fitter measured me up and said I need 1 & 1/2 inch over standard. Irons arrived and the swingweight was between E2 - E5. Felt likeswinging a housebrick. Very very dissapointing.

Good luck

jaster
7th August 2006, 10:05 AM
Wow that is crazy Rick :( I have only dealt with the Melbourne section I think.

Alo and 3oneday - I don't get it? Please let me in on the joke?

rick3003
7th August 2006, 10:08 AM
Wow that is crazy Rick :( I have only dealt with the Melbourne section I think.

Alo and 3oneday - I don't get it? Please let me in on the joke?
Not wrong. They did do some adjustments free of charge but could never get comfortable with them. I think they stayed in the bag for a month then off to ebay.

3oneday
7th August 2006, 12:25 PM
Alo and 3oneday - I don't get it? Please let me in on the joke?I don't either sorry.

jaster
7th August 2006, 12:46 PM
LOL ok...well you were the first to reply saying "send me the details"....confused hehe

Choppa
7th August 2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys.

I have bought a lot of stuff from Golf Works at the Gabba too and they have always been really good. Have never got anything fitted though.
I don't think I have ever seen anyone get anything fitted at a golf shop that hasn't resulted in the clubs off the rack being "right". I am yet to see them suggest a different shaft or length.
I might try both those places and see how we go.

Ta

jaster
7th August 2006, 12:54 PM
My club Pros are pretty good, I see them lengthening and shortening clubs all the time for the members. One guy even bought in a set from "eBay" and the new Pro lengthened them for me no questions asked....just part of the service were his exact words and I was mighty impressed as the "old" Pro would never have been so welcoming hehe.

Just go tell Golf works to give you a deal mate they should be able to sort you out I reckon!

PeteyD
7th August 2006, 12:55 PM
If you want to get him fitted go and see Richard at Mr Tees at capalaba (ring to book). Usually charges for a bucket of balls to do a fitting.

Ducky
7th August 2006, 04:40 PM
Alo and 3oneday - I don't get it?
Basically, he is telling Choppa to get fitted (i.e. for length and lie angle), and then to pass the details onto Pete so he can order the clubs at (I would assume) a cheaper price.

Jarro
7th August 2006, 04:45 PM
Basically, he is telling Choppa to get fitted (i.e. for length and lie angle), and then to pass the details onto Pete so he can order the clubs at (I would assume) a cheaper price.

Hurray :smt038

AndyP
7th August 2006, 04:47 PM
Get Taylormade instead......

Choppa
7th August 2006, 04:51 PM
Get Taylormade instead......

And there it is. I was expecting this to come a little sooner.

jaster
7th August 2006, 05:08 PM

So it's a free fitting and would be different to what Pete's details would be in everyway? Makes perfect sense.

Jarro
7th August 2006, 05:11 PM
since when have you had to pay for a Ping fitting jaster ?

3oneday
7th August 2006, 05:16 PM
So it's a free fitting and would be different to what Pete's details would be in everyway? Makes perfect sense.or I could source the clubs to Choppas Dad at possibly a cheaper price than he could buy them here in Australia... possibly quicker as well.

If he wanted my specs, he could have them I guess... be a bit pointless getting fitted then though ;)

:lol:

jaster
7th August 2006, 05:42 PM
since when have you had to pay for a Ping fitting jaster ?

My point exactly.

Pete - so your just being a sneaky tight a$$...now I understand :p (j/k)

Boonie
7th August 2006, 05:49 PM
If you do a Ping fitting at a store, make sure you designate what swingweights you want if you order a set, otherwise you can end up with a very light or heavy set as mentioned above.

Whoever does the fitting should ask the question, but a club pro who is a Ping accredited fitter is probably more likely to get all the details correct. The medallions in the cavity backs double as weights, so you can order any swing weight you like, irrespective of length.

Choppa
7th August 2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the offer Pete, but my old man doesn't care what he pays (I am going to try and sneak a titty 5 wood in there too for myself), he just wants them fitted and wants to drive home with them.

Choppa
7th August 2006, 06:01 PM
So is swingweight simply a personal preference, not a "correct fit" like shaft length.

jaster
7th August 2006, 06:04 PM
Depends Choppa, some fitters don't use it at all where others do. IMO it is personal and overated but some people swear by it. As long as your clubs aren't massively heavy or light then I personally don't care.

Ducky
7th August 2006, 06:50 PM
Well I imagine it would be personal preference, as everyone's strength differentiates. However, the purpose of the club fitter should be to maintain the swing weight throughout the set to prevent fluctuations.

AndyP
7th August 2006, 07:01 PM
And there it is. I was expecting this to come a little sooner. There just seemed to be something missing from the thread.

I was of the understanding that swingweight was a fitted thing. I certainly wouldn't want to nominate something.

jaster
7th August 2006, 07:12 PM
If you like a heavy or lighter club Andy you nominate that to the fitter otherwise I imagine they just give you the standard. That's the way it has worked for me in the past, the fitter had no way of knowing what your preferred weight is and it usually comes down to whether you care yourself. As I stated I don't but other people are totally anul when it comes to SW and even off by 1gram they can pick it...pretty crazy.

goughy
7th August 2006, 07:13 PM
When in doubt, D2.

Boonie
7th August 2006, 08:05 PM
Swingweight is certainly not overly important, but there are a lot of variables in a proper Ping fitting and it is certainly one that shouldn't be ignored.

The different Ping shafts have different weights (unlike say a DG R3 v S3 v X1 fitting where weights are very similar), so it is not only the length that directly effects the swingweight.

I was just mentioning it because I know of 2 people who forgot to specify SW and ended up with clubs much lighter and heavier than they wanted. Of course, in both cases the fitter should have mentioned it was a variable that they can control. If the option is there, why not use it?

I've just gone to the dark side and ordered a set of Ping i5's after going through the full process with a Ping accredited fitter. Tried 15 sets of cavity back and combo clubs, forged and cast and nearly every brand name, and ended up with the i5's, which were very low on my wish list when I started the process. Never thought it would happen! I only did the fitting because I wanted to try the S59's, but ended up falling in love with the i5's.

My first meeting is next month:

Hello, my name is Boonie, and I use Pings..........

goughy
7th August 2006, 08:11 PM
i5, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

jaster
7th August 2006, 08:21 PM
I don't even use PINGs myself but still say that if everyone swapped to similar clubs tomorrow your handicaps would be in trouble....well done Boonie for going with you head and not your heart.

brad
8th August 2006, 01:43 PM
When I had my fitting at the Sydney Ping factory, they mentioned swing weight and I happened to have my old clubs with me. I told them that they felt way too heavy. They went out back and then came back suggesting different alternative combos (heads/inserts/shafts). I came away with a new set of i3+ (new then :)) irons that I really loved and still do.

Maybe it's all in who you get. I had my local pro set up the meeting (he used Pings as well) and I ended up getting them at Club Pro's prices!