PDA

View Full Version : SA: Sun Feb 17th 7am Highercombe is Booked

Hatchman
23rd January 2019, 07:14 PM
I've booked 2 tee times for Sun Feb 17th with 4 Carts for 7am.
There's a group that have all carts booked out at 11am so it had to be 7am in order to make sure the carts are back on time.

1. Hatch
2. Waz
3. Flavzz
4. Nadg63
5. Thecollective
6. Hardpan if not selected for Pennant

Brief discussion after Thaxted round and 2 courses came up in discussion that Some hadn’t played before in Penfield on Highercombe.
Yes I know, not exactly A class but somewhere you’ve never played before is not always a bad thing.
I’ve done some searching on the web and Penfield looks to be a no go as it’s only open to Visitors after 11am on Sunday. I think I’m right in saying we much prefer the early hit offs?
The web has no restrictions on Highercombe but does say to book in.

Looking for expressions of interest in Highercombe for Feb. What dates suits the majority?
Sun the 24th no good for me and 17th must be early as a late one would be out.

Failing Highercombe would could go to Mount Plesant?

Flavzz
23rd January 2019, 07:29 PM
I'm keen for Highercombe and an early tee off. Can do the Sunday the 17th. Can't do the 24th either.

nadg63
23rd January 2019, 07:44 PM
Brief discussion after Thaxted round and 2 courses came up in discussion that Some hadn’t played before in Penfield on Highercombe.
Yes I know, not exactly A class but somewhere you’ve never played before is not always a bad thing.
I’ve done some searching on the web and Penfield looks to be a no go as it’s only open to Visitors after 11am on Sunday. I think I’m right in saying we much prefer the early hit offs?
The web has no restrictions on Highercombe but does say to book in.

Looking for expressions of interest in Highercombe for Feb. What dates suits the majority?
Sun the 24th no good for me and 16th must be early as a late one would be out.

Failing Highercombe would could go to Mount Plesant?

I saw the 'after 11am' bit when I looked to see where the course actually was having never heard of it! Agree with you Hatchy, that's too late really, much prefer our usual early tee times.

Having never been there Highercombe looks okay, and the same goes for Mt Pleasant.

Benje
23rd January 2019, 08:15 PM
Played my first pennant match at Penfield, 1975.
My opponent had the honour, and hit a rank heel out of bounds.
I won the first, then hit a big hook out of bounds on the second.
All square after two holes!
We liked the first nine so much, we played it twice.

Go forward about 10 years, played a pennant match at Highercombe.
It was the era of coloured golf balls.
We had heavy fog, and the two #7's teed up both using pink flying ladies.
I had the yellow top flite xl.
Got to the 5th green and all we could see was the fairway slopes covered in water. You could have gone downhill water skiing.
Golf was abandoned for the day, and we returned the next Saturday morning to complete the round (today, the match would be deemed a draw).
First shot for the day was a 20 metre pitch, to a frozen green (well, covered in frost).

Hole 15 is the pick at Highercombe - a short 4 played down to a narrowing parcel of land.

Enjoy boys - you are keen.

Benje

Edit - at Penfield, the shooting range was behind the fifth green/sixth tee. Interesting playing amongst gunfire.

thecollective
23rd January 2019, 08:16 PM
Nadg; you will need a cart playing at Highercombe, arguably the most undulating course in SA

My Feb is pretty full on guys, VIC champs and another trip interstate, not sure on availability at this stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nadg63
23rd January 2019, 08:59 PM
Nadg; you will need a cart playing at Highercombe, arguably the most undulating course in SA

Oh :shock:

Hatchman
23rd January 2019, 10:04 PM
Yes, we should most likely do carts or some pair up in carts if some prefer to walk if we go with Highercombe.
Summer is the best time to play that course as it can be a bit sloppy in winter.

I was a member here for 3 years while also being a member at Balaklava playing off 4-5 at the start. I’d play early Saturday and shoot 1-2 over the card and go out .1 at Highercombe then go to Balaklava and play in the afternoon and shoot 4-5 over the card and drop anywhere from .2 to .6.
Found it very hard going breaking hcp at Highercombe due to the hoards of double bungers shooting 44-48pts every week.
I was only a member there so I could practice after work on day shift and before work on arvos. Was hitting close to a 1000 Balls a week back then and having regular lessons trying to improve and get lower. What waste of time that turned out to be.

Benje
24th January 2019, 08:10 PM
Hatchman

Highercombe had a good group of young players at one stage - perhaps that was when you were a member.

Any favourite holes there? Apart from 16,I like #5 (despite being uphill) and #10. However, my golf was not frequent enough to understand which the better holes were.

Hatchman
24th January 2019, 09:34 PM
All good young players were around the scratch to 4 hcp when I was there. Had to be playing some good golf to be off scratch. I don’t care how supposedly easy a Course is, under par Golf is good golf.
So many short par 4’s made the course susceptible to it being torn up by mid to high handicappers when they had a day out. Problem was every week there were 4-8 of them tearing it up.

Benje
25th January 2019, 07:06 AM
did #12 come back to the clubhouse? Tough par 4.

wazamac
25th January 2019, 09:47 AM
Im in whenever and wherever. Single man with no plans.

thecollective
25th January 2019, 10:07 AM
If the game is on the 17th im in

The following week I will be carving up a cricket score @ Barnbougle

Hatchman
25th January 2019, 10:55 AM
Any favourite holes there? Apart from 16,I like #5 (despite being uphill) and #10. However, my golf was not frequent enough to understand which the better holes were.

did #12 come back to the clubhouse? Tough par 4.

Benje, the 5th is a medium to long Par 3 depending on which tee your off. Aiming 10-20m right and usually resulted in the ball running back down off the steep slope and onto the green. It dropped away left of green and was rarely par from there.
The 4th was a short continual curve more than a dog leg par 4 with OOB Fence just off fairway on the left and not far off the green either. There was a row of Poplar Trees on the right short of the Green.
The 6th was was two completely different holes dependent on which Tee it was played from. The normal short front tee was directly behind the Par 3 Green and made the hole a left hand dog leg. Off the back it was much longer and almost straight. Off the front you could drive it over the hill for a short wedge to 8 iron in. From the back you were driving it onto the hill for a much longer iron in. This green was much firmer than all the others so the secret was to land it short and let it run up. Anything that hit on the fly back half ran off.
Yes the 12th you teed off near the pipeline and climbed a gradual slope back up to the club house. That hole changed so much with wind direction. Was mostly into and yes a tough one to play but when you look at it you scratch you head as to why it's so tough.

Favorite hole there is easily the short Par 4 15th from the elevated tee down to the green that's at the point of the triangle with OOB fences on the left and right. They lost one of the big Pine Trees down the bottom on the right that used to help guard that Green when I was there. The hole opened up and got a little easier when that fell over.

Hatchman
25th January 2019, 11:01 AM
Ok, looks like Highercombe is the firming favorite.
I'll check on availability dates and times with the Pro Shop.

Benje
25th January 2019, 07:40 PM
It was the 4th I liked - the interaction with the road was pretty cool. Never played it well though - the road can physc you out.
I couldn't remember the par 3 5th.

16 is an excellent hole. Horrible second from down near 17 tee.... Real line of charm vs line of instinct element - play left of direct for the safer, shorter second shot.
I remember reading about a similar hole in Spain - was it at Estoril? This was decades ago. Anyhow, it too was a short 4 played to a narrowing area with the green surrounded by out of play

Hard_Pan
25th January 2019, 09:46 PM
I'm in if I'm not playing pennants that Sunday and if I'm playing I'll definitely need a cart.

Hatchman
31st January 2019, 05:21 PM
Booking has been made for Highercombe 7am Sun Feb 17th.
2 Groups and 4 Carts

Attendees list updated Fri 1/2

1. Hatch - confirmed
2. Waz - confirmed
3. Flavzz - confirmed
4. Nadg63 - 4HB Pencil double checking if other commitments
5. Thecollective - confirmed
6. Hardpan - 4HB Pencil, waiting for Pennant teams to be announced

thecollective
10th February 2019, 09:50 PM
If there are two groups will take lead group as I need to be home by 11:30

I live close by so im sure we can get round in 4 hours in carts at that time

nadg63
12th February 2019, 09:38 PM
Should be good for Sunday, might be looking to scrounge a lift Flavzz, Waza!? :)

Flavzz
12th February 2019, 10:01 PM
Should be good for Sunday, might be looking to scrounge a lift Flavzz, Waza!? :) I can pick you up mate.

nadg63
12th February 2019, 10:10 PM
I can pick you up mate.

Thanks muchly :)

Hatchman
12th February 2019, 10:17 PM
Done TC, In carts and 3's we should be able to wiz around real quick if not hunting for balls playing hide and seek.

Any up date on your making the Pennant Team Hard Pan?

Hard_Pan
12th February 2019, 11:52 PM
Not yet. It's a bit of a revolving door with people dropping in and out every five minutes. I'll try to find out tomorrow and post.

Flavzz
15th February 2019, 08:48 PM
Decided I'll throw the Titleist blades in the bag for a laugh. Hatchy, are you changing it up or same as Thaxted?

Hatchman
15th February 2019, 09:22 PM
Decided I'll throw the Titleist blades in the bag for a laugh. Hatchy, are you changing it up or same as Thaxted?

I think I'll change it up.
Tossing up between Titleist 962 DCI Irons and Jetspeed Driver or the Cobra Tour Model II 1984 Blades and origonal Callaway Big Bertha S2H2 Driver and War Bird 3 wood. Seeing as your taking the blades out for a run I'll bring the Cobras out.

Flavzz
15th February 2019, 09:45 PM
I think I'll change it up.Tossing up between Titleist 962 DCI Irons and Jetspeed Driver or the Cobra Tour Model II 1984 Blades and origonal Callaway Big Bertha S2H2 Driver and War Bird 3 wood. Seeing as your taking the blades out for a run I'll bring the Cobras out. All good choices! Looking forward to it.

BobsYourUncle
16th February 2019, 03:12 PM
I'm keen for a hit, but there's probably a 10% chance of me not showing up (I've got a 3 week old baby at home that doesn't always sleep that well). Is that a problem? How does this usually work? Pay on the day?

thecollective
16th February 2019, 06:34 PM
BYU: I’m sure we can fit you in, just ensure you don’t miss the tee time and everything should be dandy

thecollective
16th February 2019, 06:35 PM
Pay on the day

Hard_Pan
16th February 2019, 06:42 PM
I'm free of pennant duties but I've got to be in Glenelg by 1:00pm. So, I'll have to leave soon after we finish.

BobsYourUncle
16th February 2019, 06:59 PM
Ok, great, thanks. I'll be the well before 7.

BobsYourUncle
16th February 2019, 08:01 PM
Ok, great, thanks. I'll be there well before 7.

thecollective
17th February 2019, 12:06 PM
Apologies I had to dash gentlemen, and shout out kudos to Hard Pan for returning the cart.

Course was ‘interesting’ to put it nicely

Greens were nice and lush, but as far as compliments will leave it at that

nadg63
17th February 2019, 04:10 PM
Apologies I had to dash gentlemen, and shout out kudos to Hard Pan for returning the cart.

Course was ‘interesting’ to put it nicely

Greens were nice and lush, but as far as compliments will leave it at that

Yep, 'interesting' is probably being a bit kind! For instance: on the 3rd, I hit what was thought to be the best drive of the group up the left hand side of the fairway, (as instructed), but when we got there the ball was nowhere to be seen. Was eventually found nearly all the way across the adjacent fairway to the right - I ended up having the worst second shot by far! (similar happened on the 2nd hole too following my second shot)

So glad you advised hiring carts TC - no way my iffy knees would have held out walking the course, jeez it's bloody hilly!

Still had a great morning though, hit some good shots, and was a great social outing with good company.

Also, good to meet our newest SA Ozgolf member, BobsYourUncle who ventured out for a hit.

Cheers guys, better start thinking about where to go next month!?

Flavzz
17th February 2019, 04:51 PM
Yep, 'interesting' is probably being a bit kind! For instance: on the 3rd, I hit what was thought to be the best drive of the group up the left hand side of the fairway, (as instructed), but when we got there the ball was nowhere to be seen. Was eventually found nearly all the way across the adjacent fairway to the right - I ended up having the worst second shot by far! (similar happened on the 2nd hole too following my second shot)So glad you advised hiring carts TC - no way my iffy knees would have held out walking the course, jeez it's bloody hilly! Still had a great morning though, hit some good shots, and was a great social outing with good company.Also, good to meet our newest SA Ozgolf member, BobsYourUncle who ventured out for a hit.Cheers guys, better start thinking about where to go next month!? As I've played HC a few times I knew what to expect and really enjoyed it. Weather was perfect. The bad breaks are half the fun :D I put the Titleist Tour Model Blades in the bag and really enjoyed hitting them. Managed to make a couple birdies in between snap hooking my driver into the trees. What about Echunga next month? I've never played it.

Benje
17th February 2019, 05:39 PM
Echunga old nine is the antithesis of Highercombe - dead flat!
The new nine (20 years old) is quite hilly, and has more meorable holes.

Benje

ps Highercombe isn't great when the ball is running. As you found.

thecollective
17th February 2019, 05:47 PM
The fairways were dreadful to say the least. I thought the flat disc greens played well and rolled true. Some better holes in the early back nine at the bottom of the hill. Also found some nice small patches of fescue down there, a refreshing change to kike-hardpan.

A great setting with wonderful scenery. Houghton is on the shortlist as a retirement location for myself and the wife

thecollective
17th February 2019, 06:53 PM
Benje:

Re: Echunga

Is the new nine the back nine? I enjoyed that better than the front, more open with room to play position off the tee, the course is pretty boggy in winter.

Benje
17th February 2019, 08:35 PM
The hilly nine is the new nine.
I think Murray Crafter laid it out in the late 1990's.
Some interesting shots on land that is challenging.

When the new nine gets wet, the old nine is likely to be under water - think of 'The Levels'. No drainage, not streams, just flat ground.
I didn't know there was a place as flat as Echunga old nine and Echunga oval in the Adelaide hills.

Flavzz
17th February 2019, 08:48 PM
The hilly nine is the new nine. I think Murray Crafter laid it out in the late 1990's.Some interesting shots on land that is challenging.When the new nine gets wet, the old nine is likely to be under water - think of 'The Levels'. No drainage, not streams, just flat ground.I didn't know there was a place as flat as Echunga old nine and Echunga oval in the Adelaide hills. Sounds like the right time of year to play it then.

Hard_Pan
17th February 2019, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the hit today fellas. Nice to meet (even though it was brief), with Flavzz and BYU. Four pars, one birdie and wiped the rest big time. For me, if it wasn't on the fairway or green, it was down the hill and far away every time.

I played Echunga 18 months or so ago and the fairways on the back 9 were schmick. No so much of a fan of the front 9. Too many blind tee shots and unfair penalties for the average golfer. The worst being the huge gum tree in the middle of the third fairway that will stymie your approach to the green if you hit a decent drive (which in itself is difficult because the only option is a draw with driver or straight short iron).

The tree appears a little to the right of the fairway in the above photo but the fairway slopes to the right so your ball will probably be to the right of the fairway when it stops. If you aim to the left of the tree you'll find there is no shot from the left side of the green.

Benje
17th February 2019, 10:29 PM
I think that that hole was a par 5 originally, but is now a par 3 followed by a par 4.

9 used to be a short par 3 in front of the clubhouse, but that seems to be replaced by the par 3 second now.

The hole with the tree also had out of bounds to the left - it was a real challenge (not your typical challenge). Quirky.

I expect the rainfall and soil isn't conducive to low cost bunkers, so other 'hazards' have been used to fit the needs of Echunga.

nadg63
18th February 2019, 09:06 AM
Only played at Echunga GC the once many years ago so would be up for a re-visit! (and as mentioned above this is the time of year to go there prior to it becoming a bog!)

I seem to remember that the time I played there was only one bunker on the who;e course!? (hence the tongue in cheek reminder at the Pro Shop about having replaced 'the' rake correctly)

Hatchman
18th February 2019, 01:55 PM
Thanks for hit again everyone and good to met another addition the the S.A ranks in BYU. Hope your able to join us again for some more outings.
Having been a member of Highercombe for 3 years back in the mid 2000’s the state of the course has gone backwards from what I remember. The fairways and sourounds are in poor condition compared to what they used to be. Obvious signs the Club might be running a tight bottom line with maintenance and water.
As for the golf. The course dished up its usual hit it to one spot and find your ball 20-30m away from that spot down the hill. That can be little funny and quirky once in a round but when it happens a fair bit or turns what was good drive on the perfect line into no shot to the holes it becomes not so enjoyable.
Have to play the not so good occasionally to appreciate the good courses.

thecollective
18th February 2019, 02:00 PM
hit it to one spot and find your ball 20-30m away from that spot down the hill.

I reckon 20-30m is an understatement. In our group we had at least half a dozen that deviated more, particularly on the severely blind driving holes

Mt Lofty / Stirling shares this same issue. Flaggy a bit the same but not as bad. The problem being when you have patchy kike combined with a hard pan base you're gonna get flyers going everywhere in all directions.

Its funny how 15 years ago (last time I played it) I never thought the course was this bad. How times change

Hatchman
18th February 2019, 02:13 PM
I was being generous with the 20-30m.
The extra long run off is a summer thing and particularly worse in dry summers.

wazamac
18th February 2019, 05:00 PM
Thanks for hit yesterday. First time at Highercombe.
The course is different. I thought Mt. Osmond had some ups and downs. Haha.
As usual the company was good. 5 pars, many bogeys and a few wipes. Wasn't really counting.
It was great to play a different course but no need to be rushing back, just glad we had carts.
My swing is getting worse everytime I play. Maybe time for taking a putter off the tee to get some distance.

BobsYourUncle
18th February 2019, 07:46 PM
Yes, thanks for welcoming me as a newbie ozgolfer.

I didn't mind the course - sure needs some rain, but a nice setting for a round of golf. Probably helps that I didn't suffer as much as some of you did from bad rolls/bounces (and on the 17th I wanted some more roll, can't believe my drive didn't roll back on to the fairway).

Flavzz
18th February 2019, 08:11 PM
Yes, thanks for welcoming me as a newbie ozgolfer.I didn't mind the course - sure needs some rain, but a nice setting for a round of golf. Probably helps that I didn't suffer as much as some of you did from bad rolls/bounces (and on the 17th I wanted some more roll, can't believe my drive didn't roll back on to the fairway). You played well mate. Nearly driving the green on that uphill par 4 was a highlight.