PDA

View Full Version : Private Forums

Ducky
6th August 2006, 02:32 AM
G'day,

I have been thinking about this issue for quite some time, but have not been overly concerned about it until just recently when some fellow members brought some issues to my attention.

As most of you are probably aware, the OzGolf forums are able to be accessed by anyone without the need of registering an account. Generally, this would be advisable if OzGolf was seeking sponsorship and/or offering products, but because it isn't (as far as I know), having publicly accessible forums simply decreases the level of privacy for its members.

It has always been my opinion that the OzGolf community is more openly expressed than other forums, and as a result, a lot more personal information is shared with one another. Whilst this is valuable in developing relationships among members, it also makes it extremely easy for employers/family/friends to 'snoop' around.

I would hate to think that any member would not be able to express their honest opinions simply because an employer, family member, or friend might be observing.

Registering is easy, and it may very well encourage the unregistered users of these forums to start contributing.

I would like to hear everyone elses thoughts.

Thanks.

jaster
6th August 2006, 02:41 AM
We have talked about this and I think it was decided that no registration viewing was here to stay until the time came when we did get bigger/better and more serious. Of course Dean and Robyn are the bosses so it's totally up to them :)

goughy
6th August 2006, 06:31 AM
I think if you checked with some of the newer members, many of them lurked for a while before they joined. They might not have joined had they not been able to lurk and see what we were about.

While there is a lot of personal information and discussions, I don't think there is much that would put anyone at risk of being taken advantage of. I don't know of anyone being spammed because of info taken from ozgolf.

While guests can view the forum they have to join to be able to post or enter the chatroom. There is the contact details section, but again only members who have requested to be included in it and have submitted their details can view it. No one else can, even other members.

I would assume that most would understand nettiquite and not post anything they wanted kept completely private from the open internet.

That's my thoughts. But it's a good topic for open discussion. Maybe some of the newbies who lurked before they joined could give their thoughts on the topic.

McCoy
6th August 2006, 10:39 AM
I'm impressed that Ducky posted that at 3.32am

Fishman Dan
6th August 2006, 10:41 AM
If you're concerned that work is snooping, you obviously shouldn't be posting while at work.

The fact that i'm sitting at my desk on a Sunday is another story altogether. :roll:

jaster
6th August 2006, 10:52 AM
It only took me 9min to reply to ducky isn't that impressive? Typical insomniac hour for me...don't you love the 2 hour sleep :)

markTHEblake
6th August 2006, 03:55 PM
I BLOODY HATE forums that require registering to view the messages (or to search the forum) Pain in the bum, I cant be bothered and I dont go back.

Yet they allow people to register without approval. What the hell is the point of a private forum if any yobbo can register.

I would hate to think that any member would not be able to express their honest opinions simply because an employer, family member, or friend might be observing.

That is a really valid point. BUT if someones thinks that his honest opinions should not be heard by an employer, family member or freind then he shouldnt bloody well say it in the first place - public or private forum!

It would be so funny if oneday someone was sent packing from a job interview or the like, becuase the interviewer recognises him as an online moron.

TS
6th August 2006, 04:29 PM
It only took me 9min to reply to ducky isn't that impressive? Typical insomniac hour for me...don't you love the 2 hour sleep :)

I am also an insomniac, but I do sleep about 4 hours a night.

jaster
6th August 2006, 04:46 PM
4 hours would be a pleasure for me TS :) Since all my troubles I have got worse and worse and this damn anti-nasuea stuff they have me on makes it even worse. Also get these wierd 2am cravings, so funny heating up pies and sandwiches at that time.

Ducky
7th August 2006, 01:09 AM
Also get these wierd 2am cravings, so funny heating up pies and sandwiches at that time.
I can relate... *eats pizza*

leighthebee
7th August 2006, 11:27 AM
nope. most forums I have joined (this one of the few exceptions), I have read a lot of threads before joining.

dc68
7th August 2006, 11:28 AM
I don't think you should need to register to view. As above I lurked for a while before deciding to sign up.

Golf_Novice
7th August 2006, 11:34 AM
I didn't lurk here before registering, but I have with other websites. There may be only one actual forum that you want to read without having to register, etc.

You may read the info that you want to, and then never head back to that website again. So what's the use registering and maybe becoming a victim of frequent emails from them ???

Ducky
7th August 2006, 03:52 PM
There is an option 'allow adminstrators to send me emails.' Yeah, you might want to uncheck that in the future so you're not a "victim of frequent emails".

Regardless, I still think privacy is being comprimised, but hence, the downside of majority ruling.

TS
7th August 2006, 04:54 PM
There is an option 'allow adminstrators to send me emails.' Yeah, you might want to uncheck that in the future so you're not a "victim of frequent emails".

Who would want emails from AndyP.

AndyP
7th August 2006, 05:59 PM
Who would want emails from AndyP.
You didn't like the blank email I sent out to everyone that time?

Jono
7th August 2006, 06:26 PM
While I don't like forums that require you to register to view, I think Ducky has a point ... I view Ozgolf as more of a social club rather than just another public forum. We show pictures of each other and use our real names without really thinking about it. As this forum grows and more people find out about it, should we start thinking about the privacy issue a bit more?

On a side note, has anybody seen Mau's face? In all his shots, he does a bit of a Wilson (from Home Improvement) ... ;)

brad
8th August 2006, 12:49 PM
MTB has it, if we force registration, then a Ducky stalker can have access as easily under a masked name and still not get sprung.

Personally I don't mind :)

AndyP
8th August 2006, 12:52 PM
I don't have any issues with our current operation.

Cheers
Andrew Holden

just
8th August 2006, 01:00 PM
Potentially damaging info that can be used against you there, Andy. If you are not careful Ducky might start stalking you.
Cheers
Name withheld for legal reasons

Ducky
8th August 2006, 03:23 PM
Start stalking him? That would imply I'm not doing so already...

markTHEblake
9th August 2006, 05:45 PM
Google is tracking the forum now. Ozgolf results might not rank highly in the search terms but they are there.

AndyP
9th August 2006, 05:54 PM
If I ever get around to it, they'll be ranked higher.

markTHEblake
9th August 2006, 05:57 PM
Gotta get us linked from a highly google rated site - thats all.

Some forums have special sections where they allow you to promote your site, all you gotta do is post the URL in there and google does the rest.

it also helps if we have URL's on our site that link to huigh profile sites as well

AndyP
9th August 2006, 06:12 PM
That's definitely a part of it. I was looking up this stuff last year, but never quite finished.

I have a link to this site in my signature in another forum.

Ducky
9th August 2006, 07:46 PM
Gotta get us linked from a highly google rated site - thats all.
Well, I try to do my best on pimping OzGolf on other popular golf forums. Although some members (not mentioning any names like Jaster or Terry) seem to forget.

;)

jaster
9th August 2006, 07:55 PM
Forget what? woops :p

Courty
9th August 2006, 08:52 PM
If I ever get around to it, they'll be ranked higher.

http://www.google.com.au/addurl/?continue=/addurl

AndyP
9th August 2006, 08:54 PM
That doesn't do too much, Courty. Listing is one thing, getting a higher ranking is another.

BrisVegas
10th August 2006, 06:47 AM
Well, I try to do my best on pimping OzGolf on other popular golf forums. Although some members (not mentioning any names like Jaster or Terry) seem to forget.

;)

I've pimped ozgolf a bit on WRX, but most of the people I've brought on as members are people I've met in person.

terryand
10th August 2006, 07:12 AM

;)

:smt017

3oneday
7th May 2008, 03:28 PM
I don't think you should need to register to view. As above I lurked for a while before deciding to sign up.pity.

;)

dc68
7th May 2008, 03:33 PM
Jesus!!! On a mining expedition?

3oneday
7th May 2008, 03:37 PM
Quiet day.

pom
11th May 2008, 05:05 PM
Just got Emailed from some religious freak using this site. Whats the story there.

goughy
11th May 2008, 05:09 PM
Was it a direct email or notification email about a pm from them (Jessie). Got a pm spammer last night who has now been removed.

http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9682
This is the thread about it!

markTHEblake
11th May 2008, 05:21 PM
Just got Emailed from some religious freak using this site. Whats the story there.

Sorry, i thought you were someone else.

pom
11th May 2008, 06:45 PM
All becomes clear. Yep thats the same one. Funny , I hit the delete button too.

dc68
11th May 2008, 07:15 PM
=;