PDA

View Full Version : Fake or Real

olddogmike
19th December 2018, 03:23 PM
I just picked up a Scotty Studio style Newport 1.5, I am not sure whether this is the genuine article considering the age of this model. One problem is the white rubber type surround around the insert has been pushed in on the bottom of the surround, is it possible to indo the allen screws and remove the insert to make good? I have included some pics for your valued opinion.488214882248823

pt73
19th December 2018, 03:30 PM
I would post a thread (with the pics) in the Deal or No Deal sub forum of GolfWRX as there are lots of Scotty experts there.

If you're going to remove the insert yourself you must heat the allen screws first as Cameron uses Loctite to secure the screws.

I found out the hard way trying to remove the sole plate from a GoLo.

Jazz18
19th December 2018, 03:36 PM
I'm no Scotty expert but it doesn't look quite right to me. The size if the "cameron" in the cavity doesn't look quite right. It looks too small. Hopefully someone else can chime in with some real expertise.

On a genuine, you probably could remove the insert and repair the white ring but not sure what you would find if it's not.

benno_r
19th December 2018, 04:22 PM
Well based on the title of the thread, this is a let down....

In regards to the putter - real studio styles have elastomer (bathroom caulk) around the insert, and the insert can be removed after you take the screws out.

Fakes are a one piece head, with decorative screws, and paintfill around the "insert" in a milled channel.

Yours looks to be caulk, but hard to be sure.

backintheswing
19th December 2018, 04:42 PM
Real or fake benno

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181219/08aa0358e29c38495e31ecec3fed8083.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benno_r
19th December 2018, 04:44 PM
Real or fake benno

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181219/08aa0358e29c38495e31ecec3fed8083.jpg

Waaaaaay to much elastomer there.

backintheswing
19th December 2018, 04:45 PM
Waaaaaay to much elastomer there.

Nah the putter doesn’t have an insert

olddogmike
19th December 2018, 04:50 PM
Well based on the title of the thread, this is a let down....In regards to the putter - real studio styles have elastomer (bathroom caulk) around the insert, and the insert can be removed after you take the screws out.Fakes are a one piece head, with decorative screws, and paintfill around the "insert" in a milled channel.Yours looks to be caulk, but hard to be sure. It looks like a caulk surround, definitely not paint. Will be easy enough to re caulk.

D22marshall
20th December 2018, 06:04 AM
It’s real just well used silicone has come out that’s all game it or add a bit of white silicone

WBennett
20th December 2018, 07:08 AM
If you can touch, then its real.

Doesn't mean its a genuine part though

okitoki
20th December 2018, 01:02 PM
if you can sink your ball into the hole at the end.... who cares.... I'll play with them...

Not sure about the putter though

Yossarian
20th December 2018, 01:41 PM
They're real and they're spectacular.

3Puttpete
20th December 2018, 05:04 PM
They're real and they're spectacular.

This inspired me to watch some YouTube clips. Thank you

olddogmike
20th December 2018, 05:09 PM
I managed to lift the caulking surround with a pin, not perfect but it will do until I can get to Bunnings for some bathroom caulk. at least it confirms its not a painted line around the insert.:D

benno_r
20th December 2018, 05:11 PM
I managed to lift the caulking surround with a pin, not perfect but it will do until I can get to Bunnings for some bathroom caulk. at least it confirms its not a painted line around the insert.:DNormal caulk is a little chalky, have a look at the white bathroom silicone for the shiny finish.

olddogmike
20th December 2018, 06:38 PM
Could not resist making the trip to Bunnings, I pulled the old surround out and re-sealed with bathroom silicon. The putter looks all good now, thanks all for your help and advise.