Jono
14th December 2018, 04:59 PM
Anyone have one they want to move on?

Peppas
14th December 2018, 05:40 PM
I've got your old 7i if you want it

Jono
14th December 2018, 05:44 PM
I've got your old 7i if you want itCool. Can you bring it on Tuesday?

Jono
21st December 2018, 04:11 PM
I bought the SKLZ one mainly because it was $30 cheaper.

Having had a go on Ron Burgundy’s Orange Whip, the main difference is that the SKLZ one isn’t backweighted. Not sure which I like the feel of better but they both make you swing smooth.

Quick rules question. I know you are allowed to have it in your bag but are you allowed to take a swing with it mid round?

benno_r
21st December 2018, 04:36 PM
I bought the SKLZ one mainly because it was $30 cheaper.

Having had a go on Ron Burgundy’s Orange Whip, the main difference is that the SKLZ one isn’t backweighted. Not sure which I like the feel of better but they both make you swing smooth.

Quick rules question. I know you are allowed to have it in your bag but are you allowed to take a swing with it mid round?

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-14

14-3/10 Use of Training or Swing Aid During RoundQ.During a round, may a player make a stroke or a practice swing using a club with a weighted headcover or "doughnut" on it, or use any other device designed as a training or swing aid?

A.No. The player would be using an artificial device to assist him in his play in breach of Rule 14-3, but see also Decision 4-4a/7 (http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-04,d4-4a-7) for use of a weighted training club.

Jono
21st December 2018, 04:47 PM
http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-1414-3/10 Use of Training or Swing Aid During RoundQ.During a round, may a player make a stroke or a practice swing using a club with a weighted headcover or "doughnut" on it, or use any other device designed as a training or swing aid?A.No. The player would be using an artificial device to assist him in his play in breach of Rule 14-3, but see also Decision 4-4a/7 (http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-04,d4-4a-7) for use of a weighted training club.Thanks mate. 👍

Ron Burgundy
21st December 2018, 06:21 PM
http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-1414-3/10 Use of Training or Swing Aid During RoundQ.During a round, may a player make a stroke or a practice swing using a club with a weighted headcover or "doughnut" on it, or use any other device designed as a training or swing aid?A.No. The player would be using an artificial device to assist him in his play in breach of Rule 14-3, but see also Decision 4-4a/7 (http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-04,d4-4a-7) for use of a weighted training club.Cheers Benno. I’ve always kept mine in the bag during the round because the orange whip website said you could and I couldn’t be bothered taking it back to the car after I’ve warmed up with it pre-round. It’s also been handy to hang my towel from and avoid having it tangled up in one of my clubs. Looking at ruling 4/4a-7 referenced there it can stay in the bag but counts as one of the 14 clubs. Forget that. Looks like it’s going back in the car from now on.

3Puttpete
21st December 2018, 06:33 PM
Cheers Benno. I’ve always kept mine in the bag during the round because the orange whip website said you could and I couldn’t be bothered taking it back to the car after I’ve warmed up with it pre-round. It’s also been handy to hang my towel from and avoid having it tangled up in one of my clubs. Looking at ruling 4/4a-7 referenced there it can stay in the bag but counts as one of the 14 clubs. Forget that. Looks like it’s going back in the car from now on.

The orange whip isn’t a club though

Ron Burgundy
21st December 2018, 06:44 PM
The orange whip isn’t a club though I guess. If you assume it’s just a training aid like alignment sticks etc and not a weighted club it might be ok. Shame really. I was already envisioning DQing myself from the last Vic champs and handing over the gnome to Monsta!

3Puttpete
21st December 2018, 07:01 PM
I guess. If you assume it’s just a training aid like alignment sticks etc and not a weighted club it might be ok. Shame really. I was already envisioning DQing myself from the last Vic champs and handing over the gnome to Monsta!

You could whack him with the orange whip and make him take it

Johnny Canuck
21st December 2018, 10:39 PM
I recently grabbed one of the SKLZ ones. They are great.

Jono
22nd December 2018, 11:24 AM
http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-1414-3/10 Use of Training or Swing Aid During RoundQ.During a round, may a player make a stroke or a practice swing using a club with a weighted headcover or "doughnut" on it, or use any other device designed as a training or swing aid?A.No. The player would be using an artificial device to assist him in his play in breach of Rule 14-3, but see also Decision 4-4a/7 (http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-04,d4-4a-7) for use of a weighted training club. Another rules question. If I had a club that had a really whippy shaft like the Orange Whip but was a legally confirming club and used that to swing mid round, would that be legal? Providing I don’t go over the 14 club limit of course.

Jono
22nd December 2018, 11:28 AM
My gut tells me it would be in breach of rule 14-3 also but I remember the makers of the Whippy Tempomaster saying that you can play a USGA competition with their clubs if you wanted to as they were conforming clubs, just with a very whippy shaft.

benno_r
22nd December 2018, 11:33 AM
Another rules question. If I had a club that had a really whippy shaft like the Orange Whip but was a legally confirming club and used that to swing mid round, would that be legal? Providing I don’t go over the 14 club limit of course.

No idea, but it might get sticky if you have a club you have no intention of using except for practicing.

Jono
22nd December 2018, 11:59 AM
No idea, but it might get sticky if you have a club you have no intention of using except for practicing.Yep, I agree. Doesn’t seem right. I have a whippy 7 iron that you can actually hit balls with. So if I hit a few shots with it at the range before the round then carry it in my bag like the orange whip, can someone then argue that I have 15 clubs in the bag?

benno_r
22nd December 2018, 12:09 PM
Yep, I agree. Doesn’t seem right. I have a whippy 7 iron that you can actually hit balls with. So if I hit a few shots with it at the range before the round then carry it in my bag like the orange whip, can someone then argue that I have 15 clubs in the bag?

I would have if we were talking about Barwon in Feb!!! :D :D :D

3Puttpete
22nd December 2018, 12:11 PM
Another rules question. If I had a club that had a really whippy shaft like the Orange Whip but was a legally confirming club and used that to swing mid round, would that be legal? Providing I don’t go over the 14 club limit of course.

A conforming club is a conforming club

Jono
22nd December 2018, 12:53 PM
I would have if we were talking about Barwon in Feb!!! :D :D :D 😂

Jono
22nd December 2018, 12:54 PM
A conforming club is a conforming club So I’m stuffed either way. 😏

3Puttpete
22nd December 2018, 01:14 PM
So I’m stuffed either way. [emoji57]

Not necessarily. You can take practice swings with your sand wedge before hitting driver. I don’t see why you couldn’t take practice swings with this whippy thing.

Johnny Canuck
22nd December 2018, 05:30 PM
Not necessarily. You can take practice swings with your sand wedge before hitting driver. I don’t see why you couldn’t take practice swings with this whippy thing.

It’s club #15.

3Puttpete
22nd December 2018, 05:43 PM
It’s club #15.

The original question specified he’s not going over 14.

Bin the 3 wood. They’re crap

Johnny Canuck
22nd December 2018, 06:05 PM
Yep, I agree. Doesn’t seem right. I have a whippy 7 iron that you can actually hit balls with. So if I hit a few shots with it at the range before the round then carry it in my bag like the orange whip, can someone then argue that I have 15 clubs in the bag?

I was looking here Pete.

3Puttpete
22nd December 2018, 06:08 PM
I was looking here Pete.

Sneaky Jono changed his question. He’s trying to confuse us. Probably doing the same thing with his opponents

Jono
22nd December 2018, 06:49 PM
Sneaky Jono changed his question. He’s trying to confuse us. Probably doing the same thing with his opponents Ha ha. I’m confused myself now. 😂

Steve57
22nd December 2018, 07:12 PM
Ha ha. I’m confused myself now. 😂Quite simple really, 14 club maximum whether you intend to use them all or not, carry 15 and you are outside the rules!

Jono
22nd December 2018, 07:15 PM
Quite simple really, 14 club maximum whether you intend to use them all or not, carry 15 and you are outside the rules! So the whippy 7 iron counts as a club but the Orange Whip doesn’t? I can’t take practice swings with the OW during the round but I can with the whippy 7 iron?

Steve57
22nd December 2018, 07:16 PM
So the whippy 7 iron counts as a club but the Orange Whip doesn’t? I can’t take practice swings with the OW during the round but I can with the whippy 7 iron?

So long as it is one of the 14 clubs in your bag and it is conforming it is fine.

Dotty
23rd December 2018, 03:09 PM
Copycat, Jono.

Although, technically, I use whippy 7 iron through to whippy GW.

:)

Jono
23rd December 2018, 04:33 PM
Copycat, Jono. Although, technically, I use whippy 7 iron through to whippy GW. :) 😂

okitoki
23rd December 2018, 07:34 PM
Hypothetical question here....
If i use my sandwedge under my right heel as a timing training aid.... then can i use during the practice swing then?

Johnny Canuck
24th December 2018, 03:54 AM
Hypothetical question here....
If i use my sandwedge under my right heel as a timing training aid.... then can i use during the practice swing then?

As long as you remove it when you are playing your shot you are fine.

Jono
26th December 2018, 12:40 PM
Gees the Whippy club was good today. Normally I get to the course about 45 min early and hit a bucket of 30 balls before the round. Slept in a bit today and just swung the whippy club for 5-10 min and hit 2 old balls down the range and went straight to the 1st tee. Had the best round in ages.