PDA

View Full Version : What’s the best golf app for keeping stats?

Jono
9th December 2018, 10:26 AM
I’ve been keeping stats manually which has been useful to a degree.

I’m looking for an app that can help me keep stats to give me useful feedback on my game that doesn’t take too long to enter thr data.

Any recommendations?

Minor_Threat
9th December 2018, 12:31 PM
I use Golfshot, but it is fairly basic, such as Fairways, GIR, Putts. You also enter which side fairways were missed, bunkers, penalties etc

Courty
9th December 2018, 01:57 PM
I’ve been keeping stats manually which has been useful to a degree.

I’m looking for an app that can help me keep stats to give me useful feedback on my game that doesn’t take too long to enter thr data.

Any recommendations?

There's quite a few in the mix, Jono. How in-depth do you want to get?

As MT said, Golfshot is easy to use and good for the basics, but obviously if you want more detail then you'll need to put up with more data entry time.

aussieashley
9th December 2018, 02:13 PM
Is GameGolf an option?

BUSHY
9th December 2018, 04:43 PM
Golfmetrics by Golfmetrics LLC https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/golfmetrics/id1097923575?mt=8

http://golfmetrics.com/faq/

If you’re running iPhone golf metrics is the simplest to input during a round, outputs the most detail and presents the best value. I used it (like all of them) and it’s by far the best. About $109 a year.

I used it for 21 rounds between June and August this year and got plenty out of it. I reckon you’ll get plenty out of it too Jono. Data entry is minimal, very easy to do. I went through a few rounds when I was inputting a game of Wolf on 18 birdies while also entering my shots. All you enter is the lie, club and distance to the hole...easy as.

Can choose what rounds you want the stats for and it gives you a PDF. Plenty of data to dive into, those other apps (Golfshot/18 Birdies etc) are a waste of time for stats because those “old-school” stats don’t highlight exactly WHAT you need to work on. Golfmetrics breaks things down into specific blocks.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181209/cbfcdcd9e7832d965c05a82551219a86.jpg

Jono
9th December 2018, 07:18 PM
Golfmetrics by Golfmetrics LLC https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/golfmetrics/id1097923575?mt=8http://golfmetrics.com/faq/If you’re running iPhone golf metrics is the simplest to input during a round, outputs the most detail and presents the best value. I used it (like all of them) and it’s by far the best. About $109 a year. I used it for 21 rounds between June and August this year and got plenty out of it. I reckon you’ll get plenty out of it too Jono. Data entry is minimal, very easy to do. I went through a few rounds when I was inputting a game of Wolf on 18 birdies while also entering my shots. All you enter is the lie, club and distance to the hole...easy as.Can choose what rounds you want the stats for and it gives you a PDF. Plenty of data to dive into, those other apps (Golfshot/18 Birdies etc) are a waste of time for stats because those “old-school” stats don’t highlight exactly WHAT you need to work on. Golfmetrics breaks things down into specific blocks. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181209/cbfcdcd9e7832d965c05a82551219a86.jpgI think that might be the one for me.I’ve been keeping fairway hit, GIR, putts, up and down and sand saves. It’s a bit hard to gain info from this so I started writing down where my miss was and penalty strokes but it’s still quite messy.I have an iPhone so I’ll try it out. Thanks.

Jono
10th December 2018, 09:49 PM
Just signed up for 1 month subscription for Golfmetrics.

BUSHY
10th December 2018, 10:00 PM
Just signed up for 1 month subscription for Golfmetrics.

Give me a shout if you want any help with it.

Jono
11th December 2018, 10:57 AM
Give me a shout if you want any help with it. Thanks mate. I had a play around with it and it seems that it rates your shot based on how far from the hole you are when you hit your shot and how far you are when you play your next shot. Doesn’t seem to take into account how tight the fairways are or the difficulty of the shot?My next game is tomorrow so I’ll see how I go. I hope I don’t slow down the play. 😉

BUSHY
11th December 2018, 11:51 AM
Thanks mate. I had a play around with it and it seems that it rates your shot based on how far from the hole you are when you hit your shot and how far you are when you play your next shot. Doesn’t seem to take into account how tight the fairways are or the difficulty of the shot?My next game is tomorrow so I’ll see how I go. I hope I don’t slow down the play. [emoji6]

Strokes gained is precisely that. It doesn’t care if the shot is difficult, it only cares how close you hit it. The more rounds you put into it the better the data is at showing you trends.

What this does is drill down into how accurate you are at certain distances relative to a scratch golfer or tour pro.

I walk and I would have each shot entered in less than 15 secs while on the move to the ball. It doesn’t affect pace of play, unless you stand there.

Jono
11th December 2018, 01:18 PM
Strokes gained is precisely that. It doesn’t care if the shot is difficult, it only cares how close you hit it. The more rounds you put into it the better the data is at showing you trends. What this does is drill down into how accurate you are at certain distances relative to a scratch golfer or tour pro. I walk and I would have each shot entered in less than 15 secs while on the move to the ball. It doesn’t affect pace of play, unless you stand there. Cool. Can’t wait to get some data. 😎How do you get your distances to the hole? GPS data from the tee then laser? Do you step out your putts and convert to feet?

BUSHY
11th December 2018, 01:30 PM
Cool. Can’t wait to get some data. [emoji41]How do you get your distances to the hole? GPS data from the tee then laser? Do you step out your putts and convert to feet?

Hole length off the score card for the hole taking into account the tee, once it’s set for your course it saves it. Par 3’s you can do each time. You’ll see the data is broken into chunks of distances- ie Approach is 100-150, 150-200 etc and Short game is 0-20, 20-60 etc so you don’t have to be metre perfect.

I carry a laser for the distances, I estimated anything inside of 20m for chipping occasionally measuring if I remember or if I’m waiting for a playing partner to get there, Putts I worked out that each step is ~2ft so when I got to the green I pace it during my normal routine.

Really easy once you get the hang of it.

Jono
12th December 2018, 10:12 AM
Just entered my first round into Golfmetrics. I didn’t have any trouble entering the data.

The info it spews out at the end is incredible.

I can’t wait to see the results after few more rounds. 😎

BUSHY
13th December 2018, 12:29 PM
Good stuff Jono.

bongoey
4th March 2019, 06:20 PM
The TaylorMade myRoundPro app is great for strokes gained data!

Free to download, can change strokes gained handicap baseline from 20hcp down to scratch and even pro stats. Only downside is putting the info in while you're on course but if you're quick enough the data's really helpful - pinpoints which area of your game you need to work on depending on hcp baseline.

Got the hot tip from Peter Finch youtube channel

8081travis
4th March 2019, 08:25 PM
Looks like a cracking app! Nice one