PDA

View Full Version : single length golf

Ona
12th August 2004, 08:26 PM
has anyone tried a setup where the all or many of the irons are one length.. as seen at 1irongolf (http://www.1irongolf.com/)?

been around for a long time now i guess but ive only just cought it. sounds real interesting to me, especially a variant where the clubs are MOI matched and the short irons are of shorter length than the long and mid's.

I'm not too bad with the long irons (if i ever play :x ) but no doubt the amount of mish!ts is greater than with the 7iron.

kwantfm
12th August 2004, 09:02 PM
My 3-7 irons are all the same length at 7-iron length.

My 8-LW are standard lengths.

All clubs (except the 3- and 4-irons) are moment of inertia matched. I just couldn't get quite enough weight in the hosel of the 3- and 4-irons.

Many of the people on this board or on the OTHER board have played golf with me. They can attest that I hit the long irons the same distance is standard length clubs... but I hit them a lot straighter.

I won't be changing this set of irons in the near future. Leaves me to experiment with driver, 3-wood and putter.

Cheers,
Terence

Ona
12th August 2004, 09:22 PM
excellent someone to bug with questions!

- what is the offset of the heads you used? (none, constant, progressive)
- with a changed angle of attack has the ball flight of your long irons changed much? (traj)
- i like the idea of having as few different set-ups as possible, did you ever try just one length?
- do you reckon constant swingweight was not really important?
- what do you think of having the 8-pw on one length? how much would the moi be out if that was done?

thanks kwantfm :shock::D

kwantfm
13th August 2004, 06:38 AM
Okay to answer your questions:
- what is the offset of the heads you used? (none, constant, progressive)
I used a mixed set of Wishon 550 iron heads... 3-7 are the cavity back... 8-SW are the muscle back. The LW is the Wishon PCF model. So minimal but progressive offset. The 3-iron is 3.5 mm, 4 and 5 irons are 3 mm, 6 and 7 irons are 2.5 mm and the rest are 2 mm.

- with a changed angle of attack has the ball flight of your long irons changed much? (traj)
I initially tried to set up to every club the same way. I found that my long irons dropped their trajectory tremendously and I lost a lot of distance as a result. I know address them in the same position as I would with traditional irons. So I move the ball forward in my stance as the iron gets lower in number. I went back to hitting normal distances with extra control due to the shorter overall club length.

- i like the idea of having as few different set-ups as possible, did you ever try just one length?
I wouldn't have been able to look at a SW that was 36.75" long! I don't know of many people who complain about their inability to hit short irons... so I never tried one length for the shorter clubs.

- do you reckon constant swingweight was not really important?
Swingweight or Moment of Inertia is just as much a philosophical as theoretical question I think. With a normal length set of clubs matched purely to the 2nd moment (Jono believes that MOI matching should have all three elements matched... i.e. swingweight, total weight and 2nd moment) I found that the long clubs just felt too light. I partially fixed that with the single length set because the longer irons played pretty much exactly like the 7-iron. The small decrease in swingweight that I have in the 3 and 4-irons is pretty much indistinguishable to me.

- what do you think of having the 8-pw on one length? how much would the moi be out if that was done?
Having the shorter irons at one length is theoretically a good idea. As I said before, I decided not to do it based pretty much on aesthetics. The only problem with having the short irons the same length as your 7-iron would be that the MOI would probably increase with each higher lofted club as the head weights increase beyond the desired amount. For so few irons it probably wouldn't really matter very much. If you are very hung up about getting 2nd moment MOI totally matched then perhaps the best set of clubheads to buy would be the Golfsmith TriMatrix heads which allow you to adjust the headweight by up to 30g.

Hope the above helps,
Terence

Ona
13th August 2004, 04:31 PM
thanks Terence :D

how did you come to the 36.75" length for the 3-7? I hit my current 7 iron alright but I have no idea if it is the BEST length for me or not.

the last question wasnt worded very well. I ment to say what would you think of having 3-7 one length, 8-pw (maybe gap aswell) at pw length and any other wedges standard? reason for asking is that reading the '1iron' site it sounded like a major benefit was that your consitancy would really benefit from having one stance for all clubs.. so i figured well maybe two setups for full swings (gap is the last club i hit full) may still get that advantage without having super long short irons.

im unlikely to run out and do this any time soon, but my next set im hoping to try some of this 'new age' stuff :wink:

kwantfm
13th August 2004, 04:37 PM
I decided on 36.75" because that was the length of my existing 7-iron and I hit that club very well.

Didn't think about a double length system. Honestly the short irons are so short that it doesn't really make a difference to me.

When I had a look at my game the only problems were with the longer irons. So the single length 3-7 irons have alleviated some of the issues there. I don't know if there would be that much more of an advantage having a single setup for every club.

Ona
13th August 2004, 04:48 PM
ta mate

reading on MOI I realise all of this is pointless untill I play more golf and find that one club thats feels better than the rest.. atm I dont have one so i'd have no idea what MOI would be best.

edit: i forgot to say.. do you think bounce had anything to do with your preference to still play the long iron further forward in your stance?

kwantfm
13th August 2004, 07:50 PM
Don't really think that bounce came into it... it was more trajectory. I am also more of a picker than a digger so on full swings bounce isn't as important a factor for me.