PDA

View Full Version : A year in review 2018

Grumpy8
5th November 2018, 09:23 PM
Nov MM marks the end of the year for Olinda g c ,presentation night is in a couple of weeks so I thought I would review my year .
Handicap 6.6 down from a highest point of 10.1 (dec'17)
Played 20 rounds with olinda at an average of 34.9 pts
Won club championship defended nett champs title
Won the 3 man teams event had the lowest individual nett
Won a monthly medal ,beaten in a count back for medal of the medallists
Played 65 rounds with beaconhills at an average of 34 pts
Won the summer cup ( 4bbb matchplay)
Very happy with my year all things considered

Dotty
6th November 2018, 08:21 AM
Well done, Grumpy8.

I'm treating 2018 like a big exam, and hoping the last few days will make up for not doing anything for the rest of the year.

Grumpy8
6th November 2018, 11:37 AM
Well done, Grumpy8. I'm treating 2018 like a big exam, and hoping the last few days will make up for not doing anything for the rest of the year.Thanks dotty only takes one good win to make it a successful year .

Captain Nemo
6th November 2018, 12:08 PM
I won the Ozgolf Vic Champs, nuff said!
��

JoeS
6th November 2018, 02:18 PM
First full year of comp golf.Started the year at 10.7 GA and finished with 10.2

Had a few Saturday comp wins,won Eclectic nett and gross as well

Played my first season of pennant,finished with 3 wins,2 losses and a half.

Learnt a lot about golf,course management,temperament,how to think and play aggressive while still being a good group player.

My putting and short game has been my biggest problem all year.Been working hard on short game set up and club choice around the green,and practice my putting most evenings.Starting to see good results.

Probably the biggest lesson though,you don't have to play full irons every shot.Sometimes clubbing down and being on is better that sticking it 2 feet on the fly and watching it check spin back off the front of the green.

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

BUSHY
6th November 2018, 03:43 PM
I won the Ozgolf Vic Champs, nuff said!
í*½í¸Ž

My year peaked the same day too, how can I live up to that??

Captain Nemo
6th November 2018, 03:48 PM
My year peaked the same day too, how can I live up to that??

:mrgreen:

benno_r
6th November 2018, 03:51 PM
I don't know if I want to make any calls or claims with 8 weeks to go.

Current Highlights:
Playing Pasatiempo and RM West
Winning Ozgolf Qld Champs
Winning iSeekgolf National Champs

Current Lowlights:
Playing National Old
Reaching anchor for the first time
Retiring the 4i for a 4h

Still to go:
HC going lower some more
11 rounds in NZ in Nov/Dec
Possibly joining an excellent club

Lucasto23
6th November 2018, 10:10 PM
Started year on 6.5 currently 6.3
Total of 6 comp rounds not including ozgolf champs rounds that were not handicapped :(

Pennant season was awesome with 5 and 1 record and lose was on 18th hole.

Back injury has me sidelined and working towards an epic vic champs performance ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PeteyD
7th November 2018, 07:07 AM
Still a bit to go but:
Vic Champs - 3rd
Vic Champs - Monday win
Club Champs - C Grade champion

Finally moving the handicrap in the right direction, down to lowest since june 2016 before the right hip started to go bad. Hopefully I can get to lowest ever by end of the year.

Grumpy8
2nd December 2018, 07:54 PM
Presentation dinner Friday night and apart from the previously mentioned wins I also won the most improved trophy with a 34.5 % handicap reduction over the year . Which I have reduced by a further .7

Jono
3rd December 2018, 11:27 AM
Started the year at 13.4, now 10.1.

Worked hard on my swing to take the left side out of play and probably spent more money having lessons in the last 12 months than all my years playing golf. Starting to work hard on my short game as well. Goal is to get down to single figures by the end of the year.

I feel like I’m very close to getting to the next level which for me is to shoot under 80 regularly.

Grumpy8
3rd December 2018, 12:06 PM
Started the year at 13.4, now 10.1.Worked hard on my swing to take the left side out of play and probably spent more money having lessons in the last 12 months than all my years playing golf. Starting to work hard on my short game as well. Goal is to get down to single figures by the end of the year.I feel like I’m very close to getting to the next level which for me is to shoot under 80 regularly.Good work Jono , I have spent more money on lessons than anything else golf wise , improve your chipping and putting if you now have a repeatable swing . A couple less shots around the greens per round will get you to singles. Getting up n down from around the green nearly every time will save you heaps

Pickles
3rd December 2018, 02:18 PM
Started 18.1 got down to 13.5 but currently on 14.2.

Highlight of my year was playing a blinder back in February where I shot 77 and took out the monthly medal. Will probably never get close to shooting a score like that again, at least not for a long while.

wazamac
3rd December 2018, 03:46 PM
Quit my club.
Not joining anywhere else.
Not interested.
Going to spend what I save on subs and comp fees to travel international twice a year.

Matt 3 Jab
3rd December 2018, 06:32 PM
Started the year on 1.9, on 2.8 currently and projected 3.8.

So double upwards in 12 months.

Been a very bad year in terms of how I've been playing. Maybe it'll turn around, maybe not. Need to care less and play the game more

Meh.....

Jono
3rd December 2018, 07:17 PM
Good work Jono , I have spent more money on lessons than anything else golf wise , improve your chipping and putting if you now have a repeatable swing . A couple less shots around the greens per round will get you to singles. Getting up n down from around the green nearly every time will save you heaps Yep, that’s what my focus is on now. My up and down stats are pretty appalling at the moment (around 20%).

Grumpy8
3rd December 2018, 07:47 PM
Yep, that’s what my focus is on now. My up and down stats are pretty appalling at the moment (around 20%).If you are having 5 fairly straight forward up n downs ( from the fringe or a couple meters off ) a round you are only getting one . Getting three will get you to single figures . Go to the us pga academy web page and watch their chipping and putting tips .

Hatchman
3rd December 2018, 08:30 PM
Still not a member anywhere, missing some of the social aspect but not the golf one little bit.
Averaging 1 social game every 2 months and enjoying that.
Favorite game of the year to be played in 2 weeks time.

thecollective
3rd December 2018, 08:48 PM
Yep, that’s what my focus is on now. My up and down stats are pretty appalling at the moment (around 20%).

Jono, I have worked really hard on my chipping recently and controlling the handle has been a testament to a massive improvement

Noticed a similar thing with my putting, try and keep the handle still back and through and it must always arrive first into the ball (before the head)

Lucasto23
3rd December 2018, 11:16 PM
Jono is more likely struggling with shot selection than technic as he was bedding that down well. 25% to 50% is fantastic for any 3 and up handicap player.

BUSHY
4th December 2018, 07:46 AM
Seeing as my year is finished, it was generally a good year.

Played more golf than ever before.

Had enormous success moving toward a minimalist set up and playing with that mindset.

Bought some awesome gear.

Played to par for the first time in a comp.

Almost won my last game of the year.

Handicap reflected my form but not my level of enjoyment.

Looking forward to getting back out there in the new year.

billp
4th December 2018, 08:56 AM
For me, I went from 14.2 to 13.2, but what I have realised is I have only played Back Marker comps this year, and only played 16 times, so all in all I am pretty happy.

I am sure if I had more time and the time to sometimes play a course not at its hardest my handicap would probably drop more, but I can't see that happening in the next 10 years, so I just need to be happy with where I am at and enjoy the game for what it is, an escape from life for 4 hours.

3Puttpete
4th December 2018, 08:57 AM
I hit it, found it and hit it again. Good fun.

Captain Nemo
4th December 2018, 11:39 AM
I hit it, found it and hit it again. Good fun.
I got to play with you, that’s a highlight!
;)

3Puttpete
4th December 2018, 11:46 AM
I got to play with you, that’s a highlight!
;)

To be fair we really only saw each other on tees and greens

Captain Nemo
4th December 2018, 11:47 AM
To be fair we really only saw each other on tees and greens
And driving to those tees and greens.....

WBennett
4th December 2018, 12:17 PM
I have 8 rounds left to go this year. Far too early for this type of thread

Slothman
4th December 2018, 12:45 PM
Well I didn't meet one of my targets for the year. But thouroughly enjoyed the attempts :)

Started at about what I am on. Played in a few Manjimup tournaments. Encourged some new members and juniours at the club. So yeh...that is good.

The biggest accomplishment I think is changing my swing in the recent weeks and starting to feel comfortable with it. Big improvements...looking forward to the next few months actually.

3Puttpete
4th December 2018, 12:46 PM
And driving to those tees and greens.....

I suppose there’s that [emoji3]

AndyP
4th December 2018, 05:49 PM
I have 8 rounds left to go this year. Far too early for this type of thread
This.

3Puttpete
4th December 2018, 06:53 PM
This.

That is a thread for the year, not the decade.

okitoki
4th December 2018, 07:24 PM
I'll try to follow the same format as last year

How did you go?
A great year with plenty of golf every week; I think I am now slowly settling in with my choice of equipment; have gone through too many different sets with some success and some failures.
I am happy with my putting this year with getting a proper lesson with my club pro, and adjusted the putter length to suit my setup. Glade I did stick with the SC Longback, while I am still not the best putter in the world, the number of 3 putts have been decreased.

Did you achieve what you wanted to achieve?

---------------
What are your goals for 2018?
Get my driver under control, hit my long clubs more consistent... and hopefully get my handicap down to 10
But at the end, I just want to be able to go out and play, and enjoy the game and company.

Well, I have to say my driver is mostly under control now. with FIR a little better than last year, distance wise, I am still hitting around the 220m range, happy with that.
Handicap seems to have stuck at the 13 range. so getting to 10 will be my 2019 goal.
With settling with the JPX919HM, I am pretty happy with the way I am hitting the ball now, still can be improved in terms of my alignment and distance judgement though.
Long irons with the JPX is great, I can hit 4 irons better than my hybrids, and now I am experimenting with driving irons.

Did your golf game go backwards or forwards?
I would say it has gone forward. Even though my handicap may seem to have stuck in the same level ,I think my swing technique is more consistent now compare to last year.
Putting has been an improvement.
Wedge play has also improved, but long way to go yet

Any there any outstanding experiences from the year, that you'd like to share?
played Div 7 Pennant games for the first time, and had a blast playing it
Met up with the WA OzGolf boys for a weekend at Manjimup. Had a great time too... and Scoring my first ever eagle there.

Did you play some great courses?
Yeap... all of them... the Pennant games gave me a chance/reason to go play in courses I would not have gone to play at.

---------------
Handicap
Started on: 14.2

No. of rounds: according to my GA handicap, I have played about 64 games without counting the Pennant rounds, and social games.

Highest Handicap: 14.2

Lowest Handicap (Anchor): 12.7 (30-Sep-18)

Finished on: 13.3 (as at 4-Dec-18)
---------------

Learn how to chip and get more GIR; Get better with my green reading routine as I have missed too many hole-able putts
Another 10hdcp goal for the year

Got any golfing holidays planned?
No golf holiday planned

Have a particular course lined up to play?
None yet

AndyP
5th December 2018, 06:44 PM
That is a thread for the year, not the decade.
It's relative. WBennett's 8 rounds will be a lower percentage of his total rounds, than one round would be of my total, if I were to play one round.

Jono
15th December 2018, 02:06 PM
Just over 2 weeks to go before the end of the year.I’m sitting at 9.8 GA handicap which gives me 12 shots at my home course.I’m going to try to get 6-7 comp rounds before the end of the year. If I can shave 2 full shots from my handicap and get down to 7.8 GA handicap, then I’ll be off 9.4 at my club, making me a single handicapper.Unlikely but not impossible ... that was my goal at the start of the year.

oldracer
15th December 2018, 05:17 PM
Presentation dinner Friday night and apart from the previously mentioned wins I also won the most improved trophy with a 34.5 % handicap reduction over the year . Which I have reduced by a further .7 Well done Ray, your back has obviously relented enough to allow you the freedom to swing, congrats

Grumpy8
15th December 2018, 06:39 PM
Well done Ray, your back has obviously relented enough to allow you the freedom to swing, congratsThanks , apart from a few “old man “ twinges my back has been behaving it self and seems to have settled down . Just have to remember I am not a kid anymore.

JoeS
27th December 2018, 07:39 PM
Update,GA is down to 9.7 now after 39 points last week. One more round on Saturday to finish the year.Also after today I am thinking about a membership at Gardeners Run,a bit more of a challenge and lots of reward for a good shot

WBennett
28th December 2018, 08:56 AM
Using Courty's tried and true format

How did you go?
Ok. Didn't get to my goal of a GA in the 4.somethings, but won a few events during the year with a November Medal (and 76 off the stick) and the Club Gross Eclectic. Also did something new and played a heap of local opens. Didn't go any good, but it was fun getting out and playing new events. Highlight was a top 5 nett on the second day of the Yowani Open, with a quad.

No, but I had fun trying.

Did your golf game go backwards or forwards?Backwards a little, but it feels like a corner is being turned at the moment.

Vic Champs 2018 was outstanding. 2019 has a lot to live up to.
For sure. Highlights were FLC Ha Long Bay and Danang GC in Vietnam, Barwon Heads, Curlewis, and a perfect Autumn day with my best mates at Narooma in May.
All up 22 courses for the year.

---------------

Handicap
Started on: 5.1

No. of rounds: 64 golflinked rounds, maybe another 6 non golflinked. I am surprised its that high!

Highest Handicap: 7.9 in September

Lowest Handicap (Anchor): 5.1

Finished on: 7.0 but two non flagged rounds to go
---------------

What are your goals for 2019? Make B Handicap pennant team

Got any golfing holidays planned? Vic/Tassie Champs in Feb, a coast trip in May.

Have a particular course lined up to play? Nothing at this stage, Barney and Lost Farm is enough to look forward to!

PerryGroves
28th December 2018, 09:49 AM
How did you go?
Another year passes, I'm still maintaining the same handicap so that's a positive. First year as a director of the golf club, a good vibe around the club, course is in super nick.

No goals apart from enjoying my golf which I did

Did your golf game go backwards or forwards? Same

Went to the Friday and Sunday of the Ryder Cup and played some great courses around Paris.

Morfontaine, Chantilly, St Germain, Saint Nom, St Cloud, Fountainbleau, Fancourt Links

---------------

Handicap
Started on: 7.5

No. of rounds: 64 golflinked rounds

Highest Handicap: 8.2

Lowest Handicap: 6.1

Finished on: 7.2
---------------

What are your goals for 2019? None

Got any golfing holidays planned? Plenty, a few domestic (weekend at Victoria, Bonville, Mornington) and then a big trip to the east coast of the US, will play 4 of the global top 10 including my absolute favourite NGLA.

Have a particular course lined up to play? See above, also looking forward to playing Winged Foot and back to Aronimink.

benno_r
28th December 2018, 10:32 AM
How did you go?
Another year passes, I'm still maintaining the same handicap so that's a positive. First year as a director of the golf club, a good vibe around the club, course is in super nick.

No goals apart from enjoying my golf which I did

Did your golf game go backwards or forwards? Same

Went to the Friday and Sunday of the Ryder Cup and played some great courses around Paris.

Morfontaine, Chantilly, St Germain, Saint Nom, St Cloud, Fountainbleau, Fancourt Links

---------------

Handicap
Started on: 7.5

No. of rounds: 64 golflinked rounds

Lowest Handicap: 6.1

Finished on: 7.2
---------------

What are your goals for 2019? None

Got any golfing holidays planned? Plenty, a few domestic (weekend at Victoria, Bonville, Mornington) and then a big trip to the east coast of the US, will play 4 of the global top 10 including my absolute favourite NGLA.

Have a particular course lined up to play? See above, also looking forward to playing Winged Foot and back to Aronimink.

Trip sounds awesome. Are Winged Foot and NGLA in the top 10? The other 2 come from Shinnecock, Pine Valley, Augusta, Merion, and Oakmont?

East Coast USA really stacks up when you look at it like that - never really thought about it before in that way.

PerryGroves
28th December 2018, 10:51 AM
benno_r, the list below included Shinnecock, PV, NGLA and Oakmont in the top 10...............there will be no Augusta, my mate is connected but not to that level.

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/top-100-golf-courses-of-the-world

- not sure if this is the definitive list or if some other publication has the mantle

benno_r
28th December 2018, 11:00 AM
benno_r, the list below included Shinnecock, PV, NGLA and Oakmont in the top 10...............there will be no Augusta, my mate is connected but not to that level.

- not sure if this is the definitive list or if some other publication has the mantle

Super jealous, that is awesome mate. I couldn't work out which list to use, but will be an amazing trip.

NGLA and PV are my top 2 on the USA wish list (in that order).

jimandr
28th December 2018, 06:48 PM
My last round for the year is in, so here is the report card.

How did you go?

Ok. Not a great year on the course, but not bad either. I won a comp, which doesn't happen every year, and I finally completed the set of birdies with a birdie on our number 1 index hole.

Not really. I lost a bit of enthusiasm this year. I kept finding excuses not to play.

The handicap says I went forward a little, but that is misleading. All my low flag rounds are about to drop off. If I had played more often in the last four months the cap would probably be higher. About the same is still not bad, though.

Nothing using my clubs, but I did tick off a bucket list item by attending a US Tour event, namely the Northern Trust. It was awesome. All golf nerds like us should do it at least once.

The sad truth is that I didn't play any other course except Ballina. I need to attend an Ozgolf Champs somewhere, but sadly, I'm not sure that will happen in 2019 either.

---------------

Handicap
Started on: 7.2

No. of rounds: 27 - not nearly enough.

Highest Handicap: 7.4 in February

Lowest Handicap (Anchor): 5.4

Finished on: 5.5
---------------

What are your goals for 2019? The usual - keep wanting to play golf and to enjoy it.

Technically no. But I have caught the travel bug, and this time I'll be going to the BMW British Masters at Wentworth next September, so that is certainly golf related.

Nothing at this stage. But in Spain I'll be staying at a hotel that overlooks a golf course at Torrequebrada on the Costa Del Sol. So if they have a special deal, I might play it, even though it doesn't look to be anything special.

Courty
29th December 2018, 05:09 PM
How did you go?
I went for quantity over quality in 2018, with more comp rounds than in any other year (72 in Golflink). A pretty good effort considering I went OS for 5 weeks in prime golfing season. :shock:

Same as before, just be more consistent. If I had to pick something more specific, it'd be to qualify for the Club Champs Matchplay (Top 16 gross).
The jury is out on the consistency bit, but I did qualify for the Club Champs Matchplay.

Using GL as a yardstick, you'd have to say slightly backwards. Despite that, I feel a little more positive about my game now than I did earlier in the year.

- Attending VIC & QLD Champs is always a blast. I finally won a Champs day and an Uncivil War match!
- My best single round was an even par 43pts on a tough day which sat in my GL as a played to +2 :shock:
- The other really cool bit was playing a round in Scotland (on a 'Royal', no less!)

As above, Royal Dornoch was a treat. I really enjoyed Barwon Heads & Royal Queensland also.
---------------
Handicap
Started on: 5.9

No. of rounds: 72 in GL (doesn't include 4BBB, 2-ball Ambrose, Foursomes etc etc).

Lowest Handicap (Anchor): 3.6

Finished on: Likely to be 6.8
---------------

What are your goals for 2019?
Same as for 2018 (qualify for Club Champs Matchplay).

VIC/ TAS Champs is the only golf-specific trip at this stage. I'll play a round in Brisbane & Melbourne in June, and maybe in NZ in May.

Outside of those mentioned above, no.

timah!
29th December 2018, 07:46 PM
I played 19 golflinked rounds of golf this year. I think that was the combined total for the previous two years before that. So that’s a win.

Still a chopper, but remembering how to play a bit too.

Aiming for 26 rounds next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

benno_r
29th December 2018, 08:06 PM
Aiming for 26 rounds next year.

Yeah boi! Come visit me for 2 weeks, you'll be halfway there.

PeteyD
31st December 2018, 03:13 PM

Slightly jealous. Like Benno NGLA and PV are on the wish list (add in Cypress Point and Wolf Creek).

WBennett
31st December 2018, 03:47 PM
Using Courty's tried and true formatHow did you go?Ok. Didn't get to my goal of a GA in the 4.somethings, but won a few events during the year with a November Medal (and 76 off the stick) and the Club Gross Eclectic. Also did something new and played a heap of local opens. Didn't go any good, but it was fun getting out and playing new events. Highlight was a top 5 nett on the second day of the Yowani Open, with a quad. Did you achieve what you wanted to achieve?No, but I had fun trying. Did your golf game go backwards or forwards?Backwards a little, but it feels like a corner is being turned at the moment. Any there any outstanding experiences from the year, that you'd like to share?Vic Champs 2018 was outstanding. 2019 has a lot to live up to.Did you play some great courses?For sure. Highlights were FLC Ha Long Bay and Danang GC in Vietnam, Barwon Heads, Curlewis, and a perfect Autumn day with my best mates at Narooma in May.All up 22 courses for the year.---------------HandicapStarted on: 5.1No. of rounds: 64 golflinked rounds, maybe another 6 non golflinked. I am surprised its that high!Highest Handicap: 7.9 in SeptemberLowest Handicap (Anchor): 5.1Finished on: 7.0 but two non flagged rounds to go---------------What are your goals for 2019? Make B Handicap pennant teamGot any golfing holidays planned? Vic/Tassie Champs in Feb, a coast trip in May.Have a particular course lined up to play? Nothing at this stage, Barney and Lost Farm is enough to look forward to! Finished the year with a bang. Down to 6.3, losing two shots at the home course in a week.

Halfer5
31st December 2018, 04:22 PM
How did you go?
Good year getting back into golf where I played 26 more rounds than last year and crossed off a few bucket list courses. Loving playing the game again which is the main thing.

Goal was to join a club and get a handicap again after a 15 year absence. This was achieved and I have enjoyed playing in comps again. I also had a round of golf with my dad which is always special given the distance between us and his age.

Forwards, took lessons to improve my swing, practices lots and played more.

- Shot 32 (-4) on the front 9 at Banff Springs and finished on +1
- Had 5 birdies in 1 round, 3 in a row, in a comp and played to +1
- Drove 4 hours to Jasper Park for a round only for it to be snowed out :(
- Playing TPC Sawgrass - it was so hard but amazing to play

Banff Springs,
TPC Sawgrass, Chateau Whistler and really enjoyed Newcastle.
---------------
Handicap
Started on: didn't have one but played socially between 12-16 over with a mulligan or 2

No. of rounds: 11 in GL (excluding 1 Foursomes round).

Highest Handicap: 6.5

Lowest Handicap (Anchor): 3.8

Finished on: 3.9
---------------

Beat my PB handicap of 3.4, really bake in my swing changes then see how low I can go.

No but need to get interstate to play as I've only really played Australian golf in NSW + 2 QLD courses (Royal Pines & Palmer Coolum). VIC sandbelt and TAS are an obvious draw.

Not yet.

JoeS
31st December 2018, 04:39 PM
Finished the year with a bang. Down to 6.3, losing two shots at the home course in a week.Well Played

AndyP
31st December 2018, 06:14 PM
How did you go?
Between injury and travel, I barely played, so the quality of my play isn't worth assessing.

No. I wanted to play more than 2017, and I probably played less, especially comps.

No idea.

Qld OZgolf Champs weekend, although the actual playing wasn't great, as it was with a moderate amount of pain. Overall, less quantity of playing, and lack of expectations in how I play, meant most of the rounds were enjoyable.

Brookwater was great to play again, but I was really disappointed to miss out on playing at Royal Queensland.

---------------

Handicap Started on: 6.1

No. of rounds: 1 Golflink (none in Qld), 4 "Social" rounds for Qld OZgolf Champs and OZgolf Explorer Challenge, the Leon Treadwell Ambrose, plus one nine hole hit. At least that's all I can find in the threads here.

Highest Handicap: 6.1

Lowest Handicap (Anchor): 6.1

Finished on: 6.1. Another year without a change, in fact, no change to it since April 2016.
---------------

Like I said last year, I would like to play a little more, but only if my injury allows. I would like to test it out this week.

I'm sure I'll do everything I can to go to the Qld Champs. If I happen to travel to Vienna in their summer this year, I should probably try to play golf there for the first time.

No.

FuzzyJuzzy
31st December 2018, 08:54 PM
Had a bit of a naff year myself in terms of scoring, until the very pointy end.Started on 8.3, played 59 comp rounds, and mixed in a sprinkling of on course practice whenever I could sneak it, which wasn’t all that often.Handicap hovered between 8.0 and 9.0 for most of the year and leaked out to its highest (9.1) in late September.Finished with a bang - played Dec 22, 23, 26, 29 and registered 36/34/36/33 points off a 9 hc. Certainly nothing to write home about, but pretty solid and steady in terms of most of my golf over 2018.Finished my 2018 golfing season off in style on Dec 30 with 43pts (off 9) for a 74 off the stick at my home club (Liverpool GC in Sydney), my best round of golf to date (previous best was 75, maybe two years or more ago, and also at Livo). Had 11 pars, three birdies; 19pts/24pts, and 40/34 gross. First time shooting under par for 9 holes - seven pars, two birdies on the back nine. Only had 26 putts, and I even doubled the first hole for good measure. Scored par or better on the final 11 holes. Over my last five rounds of 2018 I moved from 8.0 to 6.8, and my golf is moving in the right direction after a pretty stagnant year. I’ve had a great year equipment-wise - got fitted for and put a G400 Max in the bag in September, and a week later invested in a Bettinardi Queen B8. These clubs have been amazing for me - best driver and putter I’ve ever had the pleasure of bagging. I’ve also played MP-4s for around the last eight months of 2018 and they also are just a damn fine pleasure to play golf with.So, bring on golf season 2019, which starts tomorrow morning at 0740:).

pt73
1st January 2019, 09:23 AM
How did you go?
Not good.

Not really apart from breaking 80 for the first time around the National Old in their Seniors event and winning my club's Seniors Championship.

Backwards

Played a round at Pasatiempo with some good mates that I worked with in the USA 20 years ago.

Pasatiempo and the National Old.

---------------

Handicap Started on: 5.4

No. of rounds: 37

Highest Handicap: 6.4

Lowest Handicap (Anchor): 4.0

Finished on: 5.7
---------------

What are your goals for 2019 ?
Work to get my game back in order, 18 months ago I was on 2.6

Got any golfing holidays planned ?
No.

Have a particular course lined up to play ?
Royal Sydney this week

PerryGroves
1st January 2019, 09:48 AM
PT, these blokes will flame you for suggesting The Old is a great course.

benno_r
1st January 2019, 10:01 AM

Having played Pasatiempo and Nash Old last year, I certainly wouldn't put them on the same pedestal.

But that's just me. :D

KristianJ
1st January 2019, 03:55 PM
This post is brought to you by John Deere/Caterpillar/whatever other mobs make tractors.

How did you go?
I would probably class 2018 as my annus horribilis. I got Bella-reamed and am still recovering.

I vaguely recall something about working on my game from 100m in. That didn't really go anywhere.

Backwards.

Vic Champs was quality entertainment as always, even though my horrible performance did impact my enthusiasm a fair deal. My best shot of the year was the one I took on my phone of WBenno holding a XXXX long neck with as much pride as I can remember seeing in anyone's face.

The Dunes and 13th Beach (Beach) were the top 2, with an honourable mention to Flinders.

---------------

Handicap Started on: 9.0

No. of rounds: 16 Golflinked plus the 8-10 social ones here or there

Highest Handicap: 11.3

Lowest Handicap (Anchor): 9.0

Finished on: 11.3 (which is B grade off the tips at Richmond...)
---------------

I'll reassess membership issues once renewal time comes up (ie. where I go, whether to opt for a lifestyle type of membership), but other than that, just try and rediscover my enthusiasm.

WA in mid Feb (Week before Vic Champs, which I can't make due to work stuff), and perhaps some sort of NZ trip later in the year to use up some of my long service leave. Might do a Canberra weekend too and visit the lads down there, and Qld is on the radar too.

I'm sifting through Perth and its surrounds, but Links Kennedy Bay and Joondalup Quarry are definitely in the mix.

pt73
1st January 2019, 04:13 PM
Having played Pasatiempo and Nash Old last year, I certainly wouldn't put them on the same pedestal.

But that's just me. :D
I played Pasa a lot when I lived there as one of my mates is a member, it’s one of my favourite courses especially since they got Doak to restore it back to MacKenzie’s original design and secured a permanent water supply.

IMHO the Old is a brutal examination of your game so easy to rack up a big score when playing a medal round.

pt73
1st January 2019, 04:27 PM
Fair enough but it makes you think which is a good thing, each to their own.

Can’t say I’m sad that the Ocean course is being re-modelled although a member I know loves it, he’s off +1 there.

WBennett
2nd January 2019, 07:55 AM

I could play Old every day for a year without any worries at all. I would need a decent supply of balls....

My best shot of the year was the one I took on my phone of WBenno holding a XXXX long neck with as much pride as I can remember seeing in anyone's face.

That was one sweet king brown. Nothing but the best after becoming 13 Beach's Bitch

PeteyD
2nd January 2019, 09:56 AM
How did you go?
Not bad. Starting to get some sort of swing that uses my new hips working. Played a fair bit, got some of Monsta's wood (monday champ) and came 3rd in Vic Champs so that was good! Handicap has steadily improved across the year.

Won C Grade champs at Redland Bay, after sneaking into it just prior to the champs starting. Started solidly and finished awful, just less awful than anyone else.

Still yet to break 80.

Forwards

Vic Champs

Curlewis, Barwon Heads, RQ and Brookwater. Special mention to Swan Island just for a streatch of a few holes.
---------------

Handicap Started on: 17.5

No. of rounds: 61 + some not in golflink.

Highest Handicap: 17.5

Lowest Handicap (Anchor): 13.9

Finished on: 13.9
---------------

Keep reducing the handicap. Contest B Grade champs this year.

No.

No.

benno_r
2nd January 2019, 10:25 AM
Special mention to Swan Island just for a streatch of a few holes.

I did forget a few things about 2018, and one of them was how amazing that back corner of this course was.

okitoki
2nd January 2019, 12:01 PM
---------------
Handicap
Started on: 14.2

No. of rounds: according to my GA handicap, I have played about 64 games without counting the Pennant rounds, and social games.

Highest Handicap: 14.2

Lowest Handicap (Anchor): 12.7 (30-Sep-18)

Finished on: 13.3 (as at 4-Dec-18)
---------------

Well I've managed to played a few more rounds till the last day of the year.... had a few low 30s and handicap went back up to 14.1
Fortunately my last game was a little better and managed to bring my final hdcp to 13.6

Not great, but still a slight improvement.

Here's to 2019!

Slug
2nd January 2019, 01:01 PM
How did you go?
Pretty ordinary year for golf played, mainly due to injury

i managed to get my GA cap below 10, a goal i achieved in March

technically went forwards, then backwards to settle just forward if using GA as the measuring stick.
fought a massive case of toe shanks earlier in the year, was glad to get rid of them

Vic Champs, and being named Captain for the Uncivil War, couldn't get the win but great fun as usual.

Barwon Heads was a ripper, and got to experience Royal Melbourne both courses also

---------------

Handicap Started on: 11.8

No. of rounds: 28

Highest Handicap: 11.8

Lowest Handicap (Anchor): 9.6

Finished on: 11.0
---------------

Be injury free and play more golf then this year. Continue to get the cap down and play more consistent golf

King Island trip next week, cant wait. Vic champs and possibly get a round in at Fiji later in the year.

As above, Cape Wickham and Ocean Dunes are the 2 highest on that list.

3Puttpete
2nd January 2019, 04:13 PM
King Island trip next week, cant wait.

Well, well, well.

Jono
11th January 2019, 10:10 AM
This post is brought to you by John Deere/Caterpillar/whatever other mobs make tractors.How did you go?I would probably class 2018 as my annus horribilis. I got Bella-reamed and am still recovering.Did you achieve what you wanted to achieve?I vaguely recall something about working on my game from 100m in. That didn't really go anywhere. Did your golf game go backwards or forwards?Backwards.Any there any outstanding experiences from the year, that you'd like to share?Vic Champs was quality entertainment as always, even though my horrible performance did impact my enthusiasm a fair deal. My best shot of the year was the one I took on my phone of WBenno holding a XXXX long neck with as much pride as I can remember seeing in anyone's face.Did you play some great courses?The Dunes and 13th Beach (Beach) were the top 2, with an honourable mention to Flinders.---------------Handicap Started on: 9.0No. of rounds: 16 Golflinked plus the 8-10 social ones here or thereHighest Handicap: 11.3Lowest Handicap (Anchor): 9.0Finished on: 11.3 (which is B grade off the tips at Richmond...)---------------What are your goals for 2019 ?I'll reassess membership issues once renewal time comes up (ie. where I go, whether to opt for a lifestyle type of membership), but other than that, just try and rediscover my enthusiasm.Got any golfing holidays planned ?WA in mid Feb (Week before Vic Champs, which I can't make due to work stuff), and perhaps some sort of NZ trip later in the year to use up some of my long service leave. Might do a Canberra weekend too and visit the lads down there, and Qld is on the radar too.Have a particular course lined up to play ?I'm sifting through Perth and its surrounds, but Links Kennedy Bay and Joondalup Quarry are definitely in the mix. KJ, you’re too good a ball striker to not enjoy this game. See a good coach to get your path a bit less inside out and you’ll have your enthusiasm back. 😉

Grumpy8
11th January 2019, 10:50 AM
KJ, you’re too good a ball striker to not enjoy this game. See a good coach to get your path a bit less inside out and you’ll have your enthusiasm back. 😉 +1 , speaking from experience I gave the game away because of snap hooks , started again as an old bloke , have got the inside out from 9 deg to inside 2 deg , thanks to a good coach and perseverance , now on a lower cap than when I last played regularly pre snap hooks ( 35 yrs ago )