PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open 2006

Stoney
1st August 2006, 04:27 PM
So who is brave enough to have a go?

http://www.golfaustralia.org.au/content.aspx?id=5223

2 months to do some practice and shoot a low round at Virgina Golf Club (for those in Brisbane)

It's been 10 years, I might have a crack! :-D

AndyP
1st August 2006, 04:28 PM
Don't suppose they'd let me go off the ladies tees, would they?

Stoney
1st August 2006, 04:33 PM
Don't suppose they'd let me go off the ladies tees, would they?

No but your Mcleod Cup victory may give you an exemption to the Ladies Australian Open :lol:

AndyP
1st August 2006, 04:34 PM
Excellent! I'll pass the news onto Choppa, as I'm sure my exemption has expired.

dc68
1st August 2006, 04:37 PM
I have a mate hoping to qualify and he said I could caddy if he makes it......woohoo (go low please).

Grunt
1st August 2006, 04:40 PM
If I play goood enough in the remaining Bridgestone Battle's @ Mac Grange I could win a spot in the Pro Am + VIP package for the weekend. It win be awarded to the best 5 scores over the year. I will have to have a good look at it.

Ducky
1st August 2006, 06:04 PM
No NSW alternative?

3oneday
1st August 2006, 07:16 PM
No NSW alternative?there are two duck, get to the form mate..... :p

Nike users barred sorry.... ;)

Ducky
1st August 2006, 07:23 PM
To the bat mobile!

Ducky
1st August 2006, 07:26 PM
Do I understand this correctly. I have to get my handicap down to 4.4 or below before the qualifying event?

3oneday
1st August 2006, 08:00 PM
No, you have to be off 4.4 or less for them to consider you eligible to enter qualifying.

Ducky
1st August 2006, 08:10 PM
So I have to be down to 4.4 (or less) before September 7th?

3oneday
1st August 2006, 08:14 PM
before you send your application in... how many to go, 10 ??

Might need to get those nikes dirty then mate ;)

Moe Norman
1st August 2006, 10:01 PM
i'll be caddying this year ;)

I played in qualifying in 2001 at Virginia for shits and giggles - was a good day.

Stoney
2nd August 2006, 04:03 PM
i'll be caddying this year ;)

I played in qualifying in 2001 at Virginia for shits and giggles - was a good day.

Have you changed your name scince then?

http://www.australianopengolf.com/2001_Regional_Qualifying_South_QLD_Results.htm

Stoney
2nd August 2006, 04:06 PM
Have you changed your name scince then?

http://www.australianopengolf.com/2001_Regional_Qualifying_South_QLD_Results.htm

Or was this you shooting 69 in 2002? I didn't think you could putt well enough to shoot a score like that. :-D

http://www.australianopengolf.com/2002_Regional_Qualifying_South_QLD_Results.htm

jaster
2nd August 2006, 04:18 PM
I have the nomination forms downloaded, it's over a month away and my Golflinks still tells me I am on 4.2......should I put it in?

Pros
- Never played in such a prestigious event
- Not sure when I would get a chance to do it again if all turns sore for me health wise
- Experience and fun
- Never played Virginia

Cons
- Never played Virginia
- Quite likely will not break 90
- Quite likely will be the laughing stock of the year
- Waste of $100?

What do you guys think?

CobraSS
2nd August 2006, 04:34 PM
what's a $100 :smt045

jaster
2nd August 2006, 04:37 PM
Lol Cobra, when your on a Centrelink Pension 1/4 of my forthnightly income :( hehe

CobraSS
2nd August 2006, 04:39 PM
Lol Cobra, when your on a Centrelink Pension 1/4 of my forthnightly income :( hehe

well then you have probably just answered your original question all by yourself then haven't you :mrgreen:

jaster
2nd August 2006, 04:43 PM
lol..not really, I'd still be happy to pay the $100 if you guys thought it was worth it :)

Stoney
2nd August 2006, 05:01 PM
I have the nomination forms downloaded, it's over a month away and my Golflinks still tells me I am on 4.2......should I put it in?

Virgina is a course that is not worth paying $100 to play, especially when you could play a mid week comp for $15.

However if you can afford it, go for it.

Past history shows that you need to shoot 4-5 under to win the regional qualifing at Virgina, this gives you automatic entry into The Open.

Shoot around par and you make it through to Monday qualifing in Sydney.

connico
2nd August 2006, 05:02 PM
go for it, why not? its only money?

Moe Norman
2nd August 2006, 05:20 PM
Or was this you shooting 69 in 2002? I didn't think you could putt well enough to shoot a score like that. :grin:
nope, but you're right. Come to think of it 2001 was the year I caddied for Snapey in qualifying then Penman on the big day. 2002 was the year I played for a laugh, but I can assure you that those results aren't right, I didn't shoot 69 ;) I had 81.

Ducky
2nd August 2006, 05:28 PM
Okay, I just need to shoot a few sub par rounds before September 7th to get my handicap down.

:(

jaster
2nd August 2006, 05:48 PM
Virgina is a course that is not worth paying $100 to play, especially when you could play a mid week comp for $15.

However if you can afford it, go for it.

Past history shows that you need to shoot 4-5 under to win the regional qualifing at Virgina, this gives you automatic entry into The Open.

Shoot around par and you make it through to Monday qualifing in Sydney.

I'm looking at the $100 being spent more on the experience than to treat it as a mid-week round and besides I certainly don't expect to qualify, not given the fact I have been bed ridden for the past 3 months basically :( I'll be lucky to make the 18 holes let alone break 80 :p

I probably can convince my wife that it's worth it and her reaction will give me the real answer.

Wish me luck ;)

Stoney
2nd August 2006, 05:53 PM
I'm looking at the $100 being spent more on the experience than to treat it as a mid-week round and besides I certainly don't expect to qualify, not given the fact I have been bed ridden for the past 3 months basically :( I'll be lucky to make the 18 holes let alone break 80 :p

I probably can convince my wife that it's worth it and her reaction will give me the real answer.

Wish me luck ;)

Good Luck Mate, I am going to play I will be your moral support

jaster
2nd August 2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks Stoney and good luck to you, maybe we can play a prac round or 3 there? I'll probably be travelling up the weekend before at this stage and playing a few games around there.

The wife is in agreement!! woohoo.

When is the last day I can get the application in....can't seem to see it anywhere?

McMw
2nd August 2006, 06:28 PM
let me see if I got this right...
you'll need a hcp of 4.4 for the Aus Open to even have a chance to qualify???

but (if I remember correctly) it's less than 4 to enter the Aus Amateur???

jaster
2nd August 2006, 06:33 PM
2.2 I think Mau to enter the Aus Amateur :p Sounds like the Aus Open organisers are doing a little bit of revenue raising hey mau ;) hehehe

McMw
2nd August 2006, 06:39 PM
wow...2.2....

my mate @ RPGC was going to Tassie (not sure whether it's this year or last year) to play in the Amateur...not sure how he went...
he was off 3.something back then...could have been 2.something...he had a good run in...

Ducky
2nd August 2006, 06:40 PM
When is the last day I can get the application in....can't seem to see it anywhere?
September 7th.

Grunt
3rd August 2006, 07:50 AM
Best of luck Leon, if you qualify you will have one of the biggest galleries in the field with all us Sydney based OzGolfers.

jaster
3rd August 2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks Ducky for the date.

Grunt - Mate if I qualified it would be the hugest story since Carl Spackler the Cinderella boy himself a former greenskeeper became the Master's champion. ;)

It's in the hole! :p

Grunt
3rd August 2006, 05:10 PM
Well if you do we will all be there you can count on that. We will all be backing you.