PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 31st July

Courty
1st August 2006, 09:21 AM
Hasn't anybody played yet this week? :shock:

I've been furiously practising in a bid to get some game back in time for this weeks big event. I'm playing in the 54 hole City of Cairns tournament this Friday, Saturday & Sunday. The City of Cairns is (apparently) the biggest amateur tournament outside of Brisbane and attracts visitors from all over Australia and even overseas. In past years, I've twice been runner-up in B-Grade (once in a nerve-wracking playoff). Now I'm in A-Grade, and considering my recent form, I don't expect to figure on Sunday, but I quite often play better in the big events so anything is possible.

Grunt
1st August 2006, 09:36 AM
Working the start of the week will be back out there from Thursday.

AndyP
1st August 2006, 10:14 AM
So the thread has started, but nobody has actually played. Nice.

3oneday
1st August 2006, 10:22 AM
So the thread has started, but nobody has actually played. Nice.had a putt last night, rolled good ;)

:lol:

AndyP
1st August 2006, 10:39 AM
I think I stood on one of my son's plastic golf clubs and nearly fell over.

BrisVegas
1st August 2006, 10:40 AM
Working the start of the week...

thought it was quiet in this thread!:smt002

dc68
1st August 2006, 10:50 AM
Well Grunt has been working so that means that 2 automatic posts are missing.

Grunt
1st August 2006, 11:01 AM
only working 6-10 tonight then a course in the morning, might be able to get a hit in tomorrow arvo :)

Flowergirl
1st August 2006, 11:17 AM
I played yesterday. It was a 36 hole event - foursomes. My partner and I played the first 18 - it rained all the bloody game. It was so horrid. We went in for lunch - looked at the open fire inside - looked out at the hail - looked back at the fire - and said nope - we aren't that stupid.:shock: Out of 30 pairs only three pulled out. Mad if you ask me. 18 holes in the rain, wind and hail is enough for me. And for the record we were playing reasonably - not great - but not that bad.

AndyP
1st August 2006, 11:22 AM
Weren't you already wet?

Flowergirl
1st August 2006, 11:45 AM
Weren't you already wet?

Ok..wet in Melbourne is very different to wet in Queensland. Wet in Queensland still means shorts and tee shirt. :-D
Wet in Melbourne means freezing :confused: :smt087 :( ( it was about 8 degrees at 11.30 am)
Wet in Melbourne means your legs - under thermals, trousers and wet weather pants start to turn blue.:smt085
Wet in Melbourne means your hands are so cold they are numb and you can't feel your club.:shock:

Wet in Melbourne means you are wearing so many layers that you can't hardly move let alone swing a club.

Wet in Melbourne means my hair looked like crap and that my mascara had run - and it was a bloody waterproof one!!!!!!!!!!!:evil: :smt002

AndyP
1st August 2006, 12:03 PM
Wet in Melbourne means my hair looked like crap and that my mascara had run - and it was a bloody waterproof one!!!!!!!!!!!:evil: :smt002
Why didn't you just say that in the first place?

shazza_rs
1st August 2006, 05:06 PM
Played a social round at Riverlakes today with Peter and Keza (for 14 holes anyway)

We played off the white tees.

I had a 86...... most suprising thing was the 29 putts that went with it.

My putter might be safe in the bag for another week :)

For the record Pete also had an 86.

jaster
1st August 2006, 10:45 PM
Breaking 30 putts is always good Shaz but does that mean you missed more greens than normal and chipped closer than you approaches usually land? Happens to me a lot :)

3oneday
1st August 2006, 10:52 PM
Breaking 30 putts is always good Shaz but does that mean you missed more greens than normal and chipped closer than you approaches usually land? Happens to me a lot :)she said she only played 14 holes ;)

leighthebee
2nd August 2006, 01:18 PM
played in the mug at Reddy Bay. Net 73 with 80 off the stick and never looked like holing a putt all day.

shazza_rs
2nd August 2006, 01:23 PM
no i didn't miss more greens Jaster.... probably the same as Redland Bay, I just didn't miss the 1-2 foot putts.

the 14 holes was in regards to Keza.....

Pete and i played out the 18 holes.

Flowergirl
2nd August 2006, 03:29 PM
Monthly medal today. Started with two double bogeys in a row then settled down to par 5 of the next 7 for an ok 44. But we won't talk about the back 9.:smt085
Iron play was good and the putting a bit better.

Just checked golflink........buffer yea!!!!!!!

Grunt
3rd August 2006, 05:54 PM
Hi All

Played Camden (Studley Park) today, 35 points. Could have been so much better but then again it could have been worse. Just had a few poor shot selection issues that caused problems. Yet again the ball striking was markedly improved. I can see a really good round coming sometime soon. Well off for a lesson tonight then another game tomorrow & Saturday. I can feel a handicap drop to 18 not that far away, maybe even the original goal for the year is gettable 14

McCoy
3rd August 2006, 08:37 PM
I played exactly to handicap at Keperra. I'm getting frustrated at not going anywhere but then again I don't practice and play once a fortnight at best, so maybe I should be realistic and accept that I suck.

AndyP
3rd August 2006, 08:44 PM
That's the spirit, McCoy. Unless you are putting the hard yards in, then there's no point getting frustrated over not improving.

PeteyD
4th August 2006, 07:37 PM
Played the chook raffle 9 hole this afternoon with Leighthebee and Stu (Leigh's mate). Was a fun 9 hole Stableford. Scored 15 points, and had the approach on the 7th (3.56m), but don;t know if that stayed. Leigh's yellow writing on his clubs looks great!

Grunt
4th August 2006, 07:45 PM
Well we tried to play today but the weather was like that we had @ Kooindah a few weeks back. So after 4 holes we decided to only play the NTP's and walk off soaking wet. I had 14 points for 6 holes so it was not going to bad. Bonus was I won the NTP for the 17th hole (if any of you remember the hole)missed the birdie putt due to ball not travelling thru the river on the green fast enough to make it to the hole.
2 balls coming my way :p
Lucky i got the Ogio this afternoon as all the other gear is soaking wet.

Courty
4th August 2006, 09:46 PM
Fantastic conditions, albeit a bit windy, for the first round of the City of Cairns. It's a shame my golf didn' match the weather. I sprayed them a bit early on, and stumbled to 42 (+7) for the front 9. I started the back much better and recorder a birdie, a bogey and 4 pars to be even with 3 holes to play. I was thinking 3 more pars would see me out exactly on handicap, but thinking that was just a little bit too much pressure on myself. I promptly tripled the 16th, then bogied the last 2 holes for another 42 to finish 84/77. One of my playing partners shot a fine 70/66.

leighthebee
5th August 2006, 12:08 AM
Played the chook raffle 9 hole this afternoon with Leighthebee and Stu (Leigh's mate). Was a fun 9 hole Stableford. Scored 15 points, and had the approach on the 7th (3.56m), but don;t know if that stayed. Leigh's yellow writing on his clubs looks great!

yep, the approach stayed, and you got a ball in the run down.

stuey missed out (also 15 points) on a countback with you and another couple of guys.

stuey also kept the ntp on the 4th and the approach on the 5th, so I've got a few balls here for you pete.

and thanks for not mentioning my score. :???:

Flowergirl
5th August 2006, 09:17 AM
Played at Woodlands yesterday in a bowl event. Drove weel, fairway woods were amazing, iron play good but my short game was terrible. I really don't know what to do any more. Anywhere from 50 mtrs in is just terrible!!! Lesson time and a lot of practise time is coming up. Just letting me down so bad. Just ask Chappy and Bruce how bad my short game is:oops: :cry: :evil:
Had a horrid 26 points - but when I saw the scores all posted I was mid field. There were quite a few in the teens:smt087

Moe Norman
5th August 2006, 10:54 AM
Kingston Heath Friday August 4.

Had thousands, couldn't keep the ball in play off the tee with any club.

The other blokes all had plenty too, except our host who would have had 72 or 71 off the stick I think.

Grunt
5th August 2006, 01:31 PM
Played Mac Grange this morning, 32 points was one of those rounds where you neither score nor play that badly, putts just don't drop, bad bounces etc. Might have been because of the lessons and I was thinking too much about the swing. Anyhow not that perterbed as the 21 handicap will be handy for the Scramble next weekend ;)

Courty
5th August 2006, 05:06 PM
I'm embarrassed to see my name on the A-Grade scoreboard. I wouldn't even be troubling the leaders in B-Grade at the moment. I could not do a thing right today and have lost all confidence in all aspects of my game.:evil:
I limped to 86/79, which consisted of 14 bogies and 4 pars :roll:
I want it all to end! :oops:

oz
5th August 2006, 06:46 PM
Nett 73 (+1) in the Monthly Medal today, with an infuriating 11% up & down conversion. Playing well tee-to-green but not scoring. :(

McMw
5th August 2006, 08:00 PM
left myself a crappy downhiller on the last for a 69, bloody lucky to make the comebacker 6 footer for the par and 70... :rolleyes:

GT tells me I only missed one GIR on the back nine, which led to a double, from a crappy pulled t-shot... :evil:

anyway, played 14-17 in 3-3-3-3, and was thinking if the outrageous could happen, eagle (3) the last to play the last 5 holes in 15 strokes!!! :lol:

jaster
5th August 2006, 08:28 PM
LOL mau - your swinging it well at the moment mate!! Nice work. Don't you hate that crap on the last, I've done that to myself a few times....8fter for birdie turns into a knee knocking 5fter for par lol

AndyP
6th August 2006, 08:48 PM
06/08/2006, Riverlakes GC (White Tees), Social

Stats not kept for social rounds
-----------
1 birdie.
9 pars.
6 bogeys.
2 doubles.
Score 41-38-79 nett 67 (Par 34-36-70)

Another enjoyable round. Hopefully it can stay like this.

It was just a social hit with hacker mates, so we went off the front tees, which made the course a bit shorter, and probably easier for me. Regardless, I felt I was hitting the ball really well anyway. I haven't hit the irons this well for ages, probably since mid last year. The putting was the only thing that was a little off today, and it was mainly leaving the long putts well short on some of the slower greens. Nothing to be too concerned about.

Next round: Aug 12, Nambour GC, Monthly Honours (not eligible) - maybe

McMw
6th August 2006, 10:14 PM
Played August MM this arvo...
Course was setup really really tough...never seen it like this before, very typical of an Open setup...

shot 75, won A Div OCB from 2 other 71s...
the way I was hitting it and putting it, 75 was really a surprise...felt more like a 78/79...
putting is really letting me down atm....making too many silly mistakes... :evil:

jaster
6th August 2006, 11:29 PM
Well played Andyp!! Nice work mate ;)

Mau - Grats bro, love shooting those rounds when you feel like you left heaps out there yet you score good. As for the putting, patience...you make some you miss some. :p

Grunt
7th August 2006, 07:21 AM
Had a hit with a couple of mates early yesterday morning. Must have been the weather or something all of us could not hit the ball anywhere. Was really a struggle could not get 2 good shots in a row. Iron play was ok, driver was terrible on most shots. Shot 93 Gross, 72 nett (Par 70) Really weird to play that badly but not score that badly in the end. More than likely no more golf until next saturday.

Courty
7th August 2006, 08:49 AM
Isn't it funny how much better you can play when you stop caring about the result? I finished up with 85/78, but it wasn't really a true reflection of how much better I played than the previous 2 rounds. My ball-striking improved and my putting stroke was much much better. The one that killed off any chance of a decent round was the 2nd hole of the day (151m par 3 11th). I put 2 in the water :oops: (1 off the toe, 1 fat) for a 7 :evil: and then missed a 2inch tap-in (hit the ground behind the ball) on the 8th hole. :roll:
The event was won by Tarquin McManus for the 3rd year in a row. I don't think he has turned 18 yet, but I do know he will be turning pro soon. A 5-capper also shot a course-record-equalling 66 yesterday. :shock:

jaster
7th August 2006, 09:14 AM
Holy crap Courty..66gross off 5?? Now that is some good shooting! What's with missing the 2inch tap?? haha madness mate :p

dc68
7th August 2006, 09:36 AM
The event was won by Tarquin McManus for the 3rd year in a row. I don't think he has turned 18 yet, but I do know he will be turning pro soon. :shock:

Bloody hope not he has played pennants for us in Brisneyland for the last 2 years and is a great young kid.....Seriously if he does go pro good luck to him.

Courty
7th August 2006, 09:40 AM
Holy crap Courty..66gross off 5?? Now that is some good shooting!
Damn straight...

What's with missing the 2inch tap?? haha madness mate :p

Just careless. Late in the round, score was already screwed, was in an undefeatable position with the bet (my mate played even worse than me) and I just had a brain fade. :roll:

dc68
7th August 2006, 09:42 AM
Now my brother and I played the foursome champs yesterday, started with an opening round 83 :oops: which of course had us thinking we were well out of the reckoning, turns out we were only 4 off the pace. Started well on our afternoon round, -2 after three but duobled 4 and bogeyed 5. Went on to shoot 38 on the front. Bogeyed 10 with a 3 whack, young bro missed a 1 footer, birdied 11 parred 12-16 bogeyed 17 and parred 18 for a 2nd round 75. Finish 2nd in the gross and won best nett.......O what could have been if we had played half decent in the moring round.:-( That is the 3rd year in a row runner-up.

Bruce
7th August 2006, 09:46 AM
Was up in Bendigo for my Dad's 60th birthday party. Played the MM at his new home course of Neanger Park.

Got smacked a couple of times undeservedly and a few that I deserved for a mediocre 96 net 73. Buffer zone for mugs lets me hold that 0.1

Not much water in Bendigo as evidenced by the 10th a downhill 170m par 3. My 5I took one hop on the green and dissappeared about 50m out the back. I then found my ball wrapped in bark. Totally wrapped in bark. I had a little tanty at that point as I had previously been stuck in a stick only about 2m from the fairway and in playing my shot that stick spat tha ball out 60* left into one of two water hazards on the course.

The 4th is the most architecturally disastrous hole I've ever played. Both stupid and unsafe - what a combination.

I wonder what it's gunna take for us to see Moe on one of his seemingly frequent Melbourne trips.

jaster
7th August 2006, 09:56 AM
Now my brother and I played the foursome champs yesterday, started with an opening round 83 :oops: which of course had us thinking we were well out of the reckoning, turns out we were only 4 off the pace. Started well on our afternoon round, -2 after three but duobled 4 and bogeyed 5. Went on to shoot 38 on the front. Bogeyed 10 with a 3 whack, young bro missed a 1 footer, birdied 11 parred 12-16 bogeyed 17 and parred 18 for a 2nd round 75. Finish 2nd in the gross and won best nett.......O what could have been if we had played half decent in the moring round.:-( That is the 3rd year in a row runner-up.

Damn 3rd year in a row. Bad luck mate but well done all the same. I won our foursomes 2 years ago and was runner-up by 1 last year so this year I hope to get back into it again. Ours isn't until the first week in October though.