PDA

View Full Version : How do you play the sexiest shot in golf? (aka “the stinger”)

Jono
8th October 2018, 09:36 AM
I’d love to be able to hit a 3w or hybrid stinger into the wind. One that almost skims the grass and stays low low low and goes goes goes. Any tips? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgH-MNr-Fi8

Daves
8th October 2018, 10:20 AM
I’d love to be able to hit a 3w or hybrid stinger into the wind. One that almost skims the grass and stays low low low and goes goes goes. Any tips? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgH-MNr-Fi8

If you watch the video closely you should be able to pick up the key set up points. For me it is shoulders dead level, no tilt at all, and weight well biased to the front foot. Ball position in the middle and then adjust body and aim for the flight shape you are after.

benno_r
8th October 2018, 10:40 AM

Just get a 10deg driving iron. You're a flusher, you'll be fine.

goughy
8th October 2018, 10:50 AM
1i

thecollective
8th October 2018, 10:51 AM
I play this shot with driver, choke down the club and stand more upright.

Works a treat

PeteyD
8th October 2018, 10:52 AM
By accident

Steve57
8th October 2018, 11:29 AM
My natural shot with a 12* driver! :wink:

3Puttpete
8th October 2018, 12:13 PM
My natural shot with a 12* driver! :wink:

That’s what the cool kids do

goughy
8th October 2018, 12:24 PM
By accident Pretty sure I've managed it with a sw before, from a bunker even!

3Puttpete
8th October 2018, 12:33 PM

Play holes that slope gently upwards from tee to green.

okitoki
8th October 2018, 01:11 PM
i usually just top it

jimandr
8th October 2018, 08:54 PM
Swing like me.

That is all I ever hit, but nobody has ever described it as sexy.

Jono will need to take about 25mph off his swing speed, though, to achieve the apparently enviable problem of not being able to swing fast enough to get the ball into the air.

Ferrins
9th October 2018, 06:22 AM
Take Bluu to the range and get him to stand facing you 10 metres out with his feet twice shoulder width apart. Then smack it between his legs.

Dotty
9th October 2018, 07:07 AM
Swing like me.

That is all I ever hit, but nobody has ever described it as sexy.

Jono will need to take about 25mph off his swing speed, though, to achieve the apparently enviable problem of not being able to swing fast enough to get the ball into the air.
I've shown Jono that shot, which he named aka "the anaemic".

henno
9th October 2018, 07:32 AM
Dome a 3w. Works for me, and whenever someone asks that was totally the shot I was trying to do.

Daves
9th October 2018, 07:54 AM
Take Bluu to the range and get him to stand facing you 10 metres out with his feet twice shoulder width apart. Then smack it between his legs.

Here you are;

https://youtu.be/DOVY70TUCeY?t=55

Daves
9th October 2018, 07:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9g_FJbNCeo

Steve
9th October 2018, 09:12 AM
my sexiest shot is the bladed chip that somehow still ends up closer to the pin than te actual lofted chip that I intended to play.

Hatchman
9th October 2018, 04:26 PM
Hit it on the bottom groove for the Win.

wazamac
9th October 2018, 05:45 PM
Don't own a 3 wood anymore. Couldn't even connect with the ball let alone control it.:lol:

BUSHY
10th October 2018, 10:03 PM
my sexiest shot is the bladed chip that somehow still ends up closer to the pin than te actual lofted chip that I intended to play.

"Thin-to-win"

andylo
16th October 2018, 08:52 AM
"Thin-to-win"

AndyP, still remember my 200 meters par 3 NTP at Nambour?

razaar
26th November 2018, 08:55 AM
I’d love to be able to hit a 3w or hybrid stinger into the wind. One that almost skims the grass and stays low low low and goes goes goes. Any tips? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgH-MNr-Fi8 It is all about the release Jono. The clubface is shut at impact and open past impact with the left hand staying low past impact. A slightly downward strike and a stable clubface with minimal rotation and keeping the club head low well past impact is the key to this shot. The rest of the swing is to set up this release.

virge666
26th November 2018, 01:24 PM
Rotate your chest a little earlier on the down swing will take the loft of the club. Hold the angle in your right wrist a little longer... but dont get steep. Really work the club around your body and not down the line.

You also need to do this without sliding the hips.

Easy.

razaar
26th November 2018, 04:07 PM
Actually the release for this specialty shot is very similar to how tour pros play their normal chip and pitch shots. The forearms are wound on to each other during the takeaway shutting the clubface with the left hand in control and the right relaxed. The right elbow is down and in with the upper arm rotated clockwise. The left hand and arm do all the work with the right trying to retain its address position. The left wrist remains flexed with the palm up through impact. The right wrist is extended and cupped through impact. The wrists reverse roles in he follow through. This creates a stable clubface with minimal rotation square to the swing plane.

It is always a good idea to have a clear concept of what the club head needs to do. The normal golf swing takes about one second, the downswing 2/5 of a second, so there is not much time to be thinking golf swing.

Jono
28th November 2018, 07:38 PM
Thanks Raz and Virge.

I tried playing the stinger on the course last week. I got the low part right but it went way left. Need more work on this.

virge666
1st December 2018, 08:21 PM
Rotate the upper body more, don't try and close the face with your hands.

Just deloft the face with the upper body rotation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jono
1st December 2018, 08:28 PM
Rotate the upper body more, don't try and close the face with your hands.Just deloft the face with the upper body rotation.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk ProYep, I subconsciously bow the left wrist more and shut the face down. Will try keeping the hands out of it and rotating more with upper body.

virge666
1st December 2018, 09:36 PM
You have to simplify it.

All you are doing is delofting the clubface and hopefully doing it with enough clubhead speed to keep the ball in the air.

Set your angles on the downswing, shallow the clubhead through the release and rotate your upper body to deloft the face. you only need to deloft it by about 6-8 degrees, If you start trying to use your hands to close the face as well - it is hook central.

Test it out with 8 irons and punch shots... get it right there first.

Srix965
17th March 2019, 06:21 PM
If you watch the video closely you should be able to pick up the key set up points. For me it is shoulders dead level, no tilt at all, and weight well biased to the front foot. Ball position in the middle and then adjust body and aim for the flight shape you are after. I carry a u85 wiron for this exact shot, with a little change in stance it's actually a really versatile club that I use more than I thought I would and find it super easy to hit

markTHEblake
17th March 2019, 08:24 PM
for me when I try to hit it low, I get too much backspin and just climbs the wind. The harder I try the worse it gets.

So just play it back, close the clubface to compensate, and swing with less wrists and just bunt it. with run, will go just as far as a normal shot with that club, and into the wind much further.

henno
18th March 2019, 07:04 PM
for me when I try to hit it low, I get too much backspin and just climbs the wind. The harder I try the worse it gets.

So just play it back, close the clubface to compensate, and swing with less wrists and just bunt it. with run, will go just as far as a normal shot with that club, and into the wind much further.

I suffer the same, and I also get much more success with the closed face bunt.