PDA

View Full Version : Anyone played Bright Golf Club in Vic?

oz
26th July 2006, 09:58 PM
I live only an hour away, but have never played there. Going down there for a round on Saturday.

What can I expect? I hear it's not long, a little tight, generally well conditioned, and hides a few tricky greens.

If no-one has any history there, I'll post a review after Saturday. :)

marcel
27th July 2006, 08:25 AM
I live only an hour away, but have never played there. Going down there for a round on Saturday.

What can I expect? I hear it's not long, a little tight, generally well conditioned, and hides a few tricky greens.

If no-one has any history there, I'll post a review after Saturday. :)

try ttitheridge on iseek, if he hasn't played there no-one has

raidrboy
27th July 2006, 08:47 PM
I have played there a few times the last time about 6 weeks ago. It is a little over 6000 metres. It is fairly tight and you will find a few holes troublesome of the tee if you don't hit straight. Your statement about the greens is spot on. They were a little on the slow side the last time I played there but have some decent undulations. The fairways were not the greatest but some good rain since will have freshened them up. There is a couple of very nice par 3's but watch they don't bob up and bite you on the bum!!! The scenery backdrop is beautiful and, make sure you take your woolies as it can be rather cold this time of year.

oz
27th July 2006, 08:59 PM
make sure you take your woolies as it can be rather cold this time of year.

Thanks raidrboy, I am looking forward to it... although the forecast is for a chilly (and wet) 7* for Saturday in Bright.....

Round report will follow on Sunday. :)

Cheers

Mike

Moe Norman
27th July 2006, 10:23 PM
i have, its not a bad track for a country course.

Oz - you are from Albury right?

If so I'd reccomend you drive to Yarrawonga, Corowa, Howlong, Cobram all before you go an play Bright and all are within similar driving distance.

If you've played all those, then give it a go. It's better than Thurgoona and about the same standard as Albury.

It's a Cashy course, but don't let that put you off, most of his bad stff s saved for reno's on the sandbelt, the rest of his stuff his fine.

Andrew
28th July 2006, 06:59 AM
It's a Cashy course, but don't let that put you off, most of his bad stff s saved for reno's on the sandbelt, the rest of his stuff his fine.

Obviously, James hasn't made it over to this forum yet. ;)

oz
28th July 2006, 08:40 AM
i have, its not a bad track for a country course.

Oz - you are from Albury right?

If so I'd reccomend you drive to Yarrawonga, Corowa, Howlong, Cobram all before you go an play Bright and all are within similar driving distance.

If you've played all those, then give it a go. It's better than Thurgoona and about the same standard as Albury.

Yeah Moe, I've played all of those.... but have never made it up to Bright, so I though I'd give it a spin.

I have a semi-regular foursome that tries to travel somewhere new every 4-6 weeks, just for something different. Bright is this trip. Shepparton or Tocumwal are probably next.

Cheers

oz

oz
29th July 2006, 07:04 PM
Well, Bright was fun. As raidrboy pointed out, the fairways were a little patchy, but would be great in spring / summer when the couch is growing.

The greens were running at a decent speed, and there are plenty of swales to contend with. They held a good shot very well.

Loads of options and variety from the tee. I probably hit driver a few times too often, especially early in the round, but it was fun to have to try and work the ball into position, or play intelligent layups from the tee.

Managed to knock it on one of the short par 4's, but missed the eagle putt (long and on the high side), but made the 3 footer back for bird.

Fun golf course, and I'll certainly be going back when the dormant grasses are growing. Should be a little cracker of a course, in season.

Moe Norman
29th July 2006, 10:07 PM
Tocumwal is quite good - had a game at horsham?

AndyP
29th July 2006, 11:29 PM
Horsham, is only a slightly bigger drive......

I thought about making the effort to get there from Swan Hill, but it's just too far away.

oz
30th July 2006, 07:09 AM
We like to do most of these trips in a day trip. I don't know if I could drive to Horsham, play 18, then drive home, in a day. Could be worth investigating for a weekend trip, though, as I hear it is outstanding.

Tocumwal is one I am looking forward to, as is Shepparton.

AndyP
30th July 2006, 06:19 PM
oz, have you played Murray Downs (can't remember if you have mentioned it before)? And is it day-trippable?

Falcon
30th July 2006, 08:49 PM
We like to do most of these trips in a day trip. I don't know if I could drive to Horsham, play 18, then drive home, in a day. Could be worth investigating for a weekend trip, though, as I hear it is outstanding.

Tocumwal is one I am looking forward to, as is Shepparton.

Oz, Not many courses impress me apart from 2 or 1, but i've played Shepparton three times and its CHOICE!!! :smt038

Brilliant layout, par 4 5th is one of the best short holes i've ever seen!

Tocumwal is poo, but better than Rich River.

oz
30th July 2006, 10:18 PM
oz, have you played Murray Downs (can't remember if you have mentioned it before)? And is it day-trippable?

Played it once. Loved it. It's pretty much right on my fringe of day-trip-ability. Also, as I don't get out that way often, I'd probably want to play it twice. :)

oz
30th July 2006, 10:19 PM
Oz, Not many courses impress me apart from 2 or 1, but i've played Shepparton three times and its CHOICE!!! :smt038

Brilliant layout, par 4 5th is one of the best short holes i've ever seen!

Tocumwal is poo, but better than Rich River.

I am looking forward to Shepp.

That's the first bad opinion I have heard of Tocumwal..... What didn't you like?