PDA

View Full Version : GPS for kids car?

goughy
28th August 2018, 11:29 AM
So Jasmine wants a GPS for her car; next year on her P's she can't use her phone or anything for it.

So TomTom, Garmin, etc. Which way to go? I'd I've really better than the other? Looking to spend $200 tops.

We have a built in TomTom in our car and I don't like it much. But it doesn't get updated and I have to pay each year for map updates, which I don't do. We just use or phone.

So anyone got a preference?

okitoki
28th August 2018, 11:49 AM
I assume its an older car that doesnt have build in GPS?

I think they are pretty much the same; except for the map update which I am not a fan of, so I have been using my phone using google maps and voice commands.

However, I do prefer Garmin over TomTom, as previous model of TomTom i had were difficult with finding some remote address... they all work great in city addresses, but sometimes when you are in a outer suburb area, you can't find the name of the road at a suburb. The TomTom One I had to select suburb, then street list would come up... But Garmin allowed me to also search for a street name first before selecting the suburbs, which can be handy in these situations. (this may have changed over the last few years as I have not bought a new GPS unit for awhile since using the phone)

Also be careful with some of those 3D maps which can be confusing at times with freeway exits for new drivers.

goughy
28th August 2018, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I don't like the way the TomTom in our car works when finding addresses. And even though the map is only a year old, it doesn't have house numbers for some streets, like ours, where we've been living for 9 years. It looks like some of the TomTom now you can use an app on your phone to find an address, then send it to the TomTom.

Daves
28th August 2018, 01:00 PM
I bought one of these a couple of years ago;

https://www.navman.com.au/mivue-drive-fhd

I think there are updated models now. It is a combined GPS and Dashcam with lifetime free maps for Oz and NZ. OS maps are pretty cheap to buy if you are travelling abroad and need a GPS. Mine cost about $220 on special from memory. I have seen the new model for similar money.

hacker
28th August 2018, 06:21 PM
Is a GPS with a speaker telling you directions allowed in QLD for P platers?

Yossarian
28th August 2018, 06:30 PM