PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on how to approach this hole

Stuart
11th August 2018, 02:10 PM
This hole does my head in - probably an example of good course design I guess.It is a not-too long par 5 (around 480 metres depending upon tee location) with a fairly narrow green that has drop-offs pretty much on all sides (except for the right sided bunker).

However, it has a dam which cuts into the left-half of the fairway and which requires a carry of about 230-240 metres; if the wind is behind I can carry it OK and then it is a fairly straightforward hole, as you can get near the green for 2 easily enough. Unfortunately, the prevailing wind is usually into, not helping, and I tend to therefore lay up short of the dam with 5 wood. But laying up short of the dam then brings a creek that crosses the fairway short of the green into play for your second shot. So, the safest way to play the hole is to hit 2 ~200m shots which places you onto a nice flat part of the fairway about 70-90 metres short of the green. See below as an example - Garmin hasn't quite captured the fairway, dam or the creek correctly, but its close enough to give you an idea.

All good so far. But I tend to over-spin my wedge shots, even on partial shots. I took the below video yesterday - this was a 3/4 gap wedge from around 75 metres into the back (flat) part of the green. It doesn't really show it well, but I was still probably around 15-20 foot from the pin. Full wedge shots spin even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xUzZsFc0xM

I find this green particularly frustrating, as I just cannot get near a front or back pin with a wedge. The front half of the green slopes back towards the fairway, so whenever I land it anywhere near the middle it spins back off the green and down the slope. For back pins, I cannot land the ball far enough past the hole (i.e. it would be over the back), so I always tend to just end up being happy hitting the shot like yesterday where it lands towards the back and ends up in the middle of the green. Which is "sort-of fine" I guess, but I find it very frustrating that for a fairly short par 5 I rarely have a decent birdie opportunity.

The fairway has around 30 metres of 'downhill' from about 140 metres to 110 metres out, so if you don't get to the bottom on the hill with your second shot, you either face a downhill lie or you have to lay back with your second shot to about 150 metres (which is then quite tough to hit with the small green). This makes laying up further back a bit complicated. I've tried hitting it 'softer' with a pitching wedge or even 9 iron in order to try and reduce the spin, but then my distance control just seems to go out the window.

Any thoughts on how to approach this differently? (and congratulations to anyone who read through all that ...)

Ferrins
11th August 2018, 03:09 PM
Use a less spinning ball just for this hole.

Grumpy8
11th August 2018, 04:32 PM
Use a less spinning ball just for this hole. +1

3Puttpete
11th August 2018, 04:35 PM
Take divots with a couple of practice swings and fill the grooves with dirt and grass.

Stuart
11th August 2018, 04:55 PM
Use a less spinning ball just for this hole. OK, pretty embarassing really that I didn’t think of that. I thought about switching balls completely, but I really like how it performs on other holes. Doing it just for one hole never occurred to me ...

The idea of “pre-filling” the grooves with dirt is also great left field thinking.

henno
11th August 2018, 05:34 PM
The idea of “pre-filling” the grooves with dirt is also great left field thinking.

I genuinely do this. I also suffer from the mega-spins on my wedge shots and it is not something I play for (flying over and zipping it back) and on holes where I don't want it I leave the grooves full of stuff. Or if it's an early game the face will be covered in dew.

I had 100m in this afternoon into a sloping green and pulled out my 54 and the grooves were full of gunk from my previous wedge shot from the rough on the last hole. I left the shit packed in there.

Stuart
11th August 2018, 05:49 PM
I genuinely do this. I also suffer from the mega-spins on my wedge shots and it is not something I play for (flying over and zipping it back) and on holes where I don't want it I leave the grooves full of stuff. Or if it's an early game the face will be covered in dew.

I had 100m in this afternoon into a sloping green and pulled out my 54 and the grooves were full of gunk from my previous wedge shot from the rough on the last hole. I left the shit packed in there.

OK - something else to try out.

Captain Nemo
11th August 2018, 07:54 PM
3 5 irons.

Johnny Canuck
11th August 2018, 07:58 PM

Exactly what I would do.

3Puttpete
11th August 2018, 08:31 PM

Didn’t this cost Phil Michelson a couple of strokes penalty somewhere?

Stuart
11th August 2018, 08:31 PM
3 5 irons.Tried that (or something similar) for a month or so, with a five wood, five iron, seven iron. But it didn’t really work any better - while the ball doesn’t spin off the green with a seven iron, I obviously hit a small green less often from 150 metres than from 75, so it didn’t really improve my actual scoring (in fact, my average score on that hole went up a touch).

Stuart
11th August 2018, 08:32 PM
Didn’t this cost Phil Michelson a couple of strokes penalty somewhere?Pretty sure that the pros have to use the same exact make of ball across a round, but amateurs are not so limited.

3Puttpete
11th August 2018, 09:16 PM
Pretty sure that the pros have to use the same exact make of ball across a round, but amateurs are not so limited.

It may be the other way and the pga tour has a local rule allowing them to change and he was playing a different tour (president’s cup?) with no such local rule. Or something like that

Johnny Canuck
11th August 2018, 10:16 PM
It may be the other way and the pga tour has a local rule allowing them to change and he was playing a different tour (president’s cup?) with no such local rule. Or something like that

The Pros have a one ball / compression rule.

No club implements such a rule.

I’d be interested to know more about the Phil violation.

3Puttpete
12th August 2018, 12:21 AM
The Pros have a one ball / compression rule.

No club implements such a rule.

I’d be interested to know more about the Phil violation.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/still-confused-by-the-phil-mickelson-ruling-lets-break-it-down-point-by-point

Captain Nemo
12th August 2018, 01:15 PM
Tried that (or something similar) for a month or so, with a five wood, five iron, seven iron. But it didn’t really work any better - while the ball doesn’t spin off the green with a seven iron, I obviously hit a small green less often from 150 metres than from 75, so it didn’t really improve my actual scoring (in fact, my average score on that hole went up a touch). That’s not 3 5 irons is it...?