PDA

View Full Version : Green reading routine

Jono
29th July 2018, 08:29 PM
After having another decent ball striking round and a shocking putting round, I’ve decided to take a more disciplined approach to my putting routine. IMO pre-shot information gathering is the most important on or around the green. Distance, slope, speed of the green etc... ie. reading the green. I don’t have a set routine and I’m rarely confident about the line I have chosen when I stand over the putt.

Do any of you have a routine when reading the putt? Do you pace your putts out? Stand on the low side for a better view? Try to figure out the “fall line”? Use AimPoint?

okitoki
29th July 2018, 09:30 PM
Im interested as well as my line reading has been pretty basic.

Just behind for line and the side for up or down hill.

I find that in my level the biggest hurtle is to get my distance feel correct as I'm good if I can get within the 3 feet circle

Daves
29th July 2018, 09:53 PM
I always try to walk the hole to the ball, ideally as you walk on the green. The putt will often look bit different from the other side, and as you are walking along the line to your ball you might also notice some subtleties to the putt. if you are still unsure, break the putt up into sections by walking along the line and visualising how it will roll, and how you would putt from each point. From there it is all about sticking to a putting routine and trusting the putt. I also think it is essential to walk in from behind the putt so that you get your lines correct. I see too many poor setups that cruel a putt before it is even rolled.

PeteyD
30th July 2018, 05:42 AM
Read Dr Bob's putting book.

Captain Nemo
30th July 2018, 06:48 AM
You guys actually read greens?
:(

henno
30th July 2018, 07:36 AM
I prefer to wash the hole before I reach the green. My putting stats are amazing.

Grumpy8
30th July 2018, 08:08 AM
I watch what every ball does , other players chips and putts ,especially in the last metre ,

Slothman
30th July 2018, 10:35 AM
I can't read greens for shite. I reckon its my new glasses. I just can't pick the breaks anymore. Been meaning to play a round with my old ones and see how it goes.

Normally as I walk to the green I try to get a look at it. Then I get behind it, change my mind. I walk to the back, change my mind. Then I walk "beneath" it, and confuse myself.

Then I aim at the middle, hit it and get surprised when it moves.

Its taken a while to feel comfortable with that routine but I think I am there ;)

Seriously, I read chips way better than putts, and still get them wrong more than 50% of the time ;)

BUSHY
30th July 2018, 02:15 PM
After having another decent ball striking round and a shocking putting round, I’ve decided to take a more disciplined approach to my putting routine. IMO pre-shot information gathering is the most important on or around the green. Distance, slope, speed of the green etc... ie. reading the green. I don’t have a set routine and I’m rarely confident about the line I have chosen when I stand over the putt.

Do any of you have a routine when reading the putt? Do you pace your putts out? Stand on the low side for a better view? Try to figure out the “fall line”? Use AimPoint?

I use a bastardised Aimpoint express but I also putt ALOT by feel on long putts. Remember aimpoint is only good inside 20ft.
I generally walk from the opposite side of the hole to the ball, and step the distance off for my stats (each step is roughly 2ft). I’ll measure with my feet at half way and get a line. Important part is practicing the slope which you’ll need some form of level. I use an app and it’s pretty simple. I also putt with a line in the ball not just for alignment but it also teaches you about how you are striking it. A bit of wibble wobble and you know your stroke wasn’t pure.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/clinometer-bubble-level/id286215117?mt=8

JoeS
30th July 2018, 04:42 PM
I use a method of hope and pray.I pick something close to what I think it will be the line,hit and hope.When it doesn't fall,I cry out to JC

Jono
30th July 2018, 05:34 PM
I can't read greens for shite. I reckon its my new glasses. I just can't pick the breaks anymore. Been meaning to play a round with my old ones and see how it goes. Normally as I walk to the green I try to get a look at it. Then I get behind it, change my mind. I walk to the back, change my mind. Then I walk "beneath" it, and confuse myself.Then I aim at the middle, hit it and get surprised when it moves.Its taken a while to feel comfortable with that routine but I think I am there ;)Seriously, I read chips way better than putts, and still get them wrong more than 50% of the time ;) Ha ha. I’m glad I’m not alone. 😂

Jono
30th July 2018, 05:38 PM
I use a bastardised Aimpoint express but I also putt ALOT by feel on long putts. Remember aimpoint is only good inside 20ft. I generally walk from the opposite side of the hole to the ball, and step the distance off for my stats (each step is roughly 2ft). I’ll measure with my feet at half way and get a line. Important part is practicing the slope which you’ll need some form of level. I use an app and it’s pretty simple. I also putt with a line in the ball not just for alignment but it also teaches you about how you are striking it. A bit of wibble wobble and you know your stroke wasn’t pure. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/clinometer-bubble-level/id286215117?mt=8 Thanks mate. Is the app accurate?

Toxic
30th July 2018, 05:40 PM
Putt for pace/distance...

Once you get pace confident seeing the line becomes far easier as you focus better..

Water run off points..
Shoulders of pots..
Tiers..

Its never the same but when i putt well my pace/distance is good

okitoki
30th July 2018, 06:23 PM
Putt for pace/distance...

Its never the same but when i putt well my pace/distance is good

Good point... recently my pro has given me some putting drills to work on my pace, and I would say this has improved my confidence and the actual putting strokes close to the hole

BUSHY
30th July 2018, 07:42 PM
Thanks mate. Is the app accurate?

Yeah, maybe not as accurate as a digital level but it works fine for me.

davepuppies
2nd August 2018, 07:19 AM
When I was playing lot and putting good, I would look at the overall slope of the green as I walked in from my approach.

Then I would initially look at the slope from behind the hole, then from behind the ball. I find in this order my brain played less tricks on me in creating imaginaybreaks.

Then I visualise a line tracking to the hole, based on the above..... and line my ball alignment marker up to the break point, then have a couple of practice strokes looking at the hole the gauge weight.

Seemed to work reasonably well when I was playing frequently.....when I only play casually I forget, or can’t be bothered so now I putt like shit.

Jazz18
6th August 2018, 04:17 PM
Just walk up behind it, look at it for a couple of seconds, pick a line and hit it. If it goes in, great, if not, make the next one. I do agree from the above that speed is much more important than the line. Obviously you can't ignore the line altogether but if you get the speed right, you'll be there or there abouts most of the time. Don't over complicate it.

davidw88
9th August 2018, 05:30 PM
All i do is walk up to it look at the hole a few times then hit it, but I am a fairly shit putter, would still miss them if i farted around looking at it for ages, so might as well get it done with.

Jono
11th August 2018, 07:25 AM
All i do is walk up to it look at the hole a few times then hit it, but I am a fairly shit putter, would still miss them if i farted around looking at it for ages, so might as well get it done with.

Once I have a "system" for reading greens, I think I will be quicker.

Jono
28th August 2018, 07:17 PM
Yeah, maybe not as accurate as a digital level but it works fine for me. Right, got the app and booked a lesson to learn Aimpoint on Thursday. Let’s hope this can help me to minimise the 3 putts!

Jono
31st August 2018, 08:49 AM
Had the Aimpoint lesson with Denise Hutton at Bonnie Doon yesterday. Need to practice it more but it's good to have a system that is quick and reliable.

BUSHY
31st August 2018, 01:58 PM
Had the Aimpoint lesson with Denise Hutton at Bonnie Doon yesterday. Need to practice it more but it's good to have a system that is quick and reliable.

How long was the lesson?

Captain Nemo
31st August 2018, 02:15 PM

Lol, that was you!
I saw you practicing left handed on the practice green, didn’t think it was you.
I was on the range then you drove past in the buggy with her!
Lol....

Jono
31st August 2018, 05:56 PM
How long was the lesson?1 hour but ended up going 15 min over.I had viewed the Aimpoint DVD before the lesson so that helped.

Jono
31st August 2018, 05:58 PM
Lol, that was you!I saw you practicing left handed on the practice green, didn’t think it was you.I was on the range then you drove past in the buggy with her!Lol.... Ha ha. Yep that was me. I’m so desperate with my putting I tried left handed putting as well as split hand and reverse grip. LOL! 😂Btw, awesome facilities at Bonnie Doon. 👍

BUSHY
31st August 2018, 06:40 PM
I was on the range...

Well of course. #TheChamp

Captain Nemo
31st August 2018, 07:19 PM
Well of course. #TheChamp
8)

Captain Nemo
31st August 2018, 07:22 PM
Ha ha. Yep that was me. I’m so desperate with my putting I tried left handed putting as well as split hand and reverse grip. LOL! 😂Btw, awesome facilities at Bonnie Doon. 👍
I thought it was you, but when I saw left hand putting I questioned myself!
Why didn’t you tell me you where doing it with her?
And yes, the facilities are second to none, glad you enjoyed it.
8)

AD23
1st September 2018, 06:56 PM
I use a bit of the Aimpoint (just feeling for direction and severity of slope) to give confidence when I’m over my putt. If looking at the line of the putt, I find it helpful to only look at it uphill (may or may not be the with ball between me and the hole) - a lot better depth perception.

I’m not one to take practice strokes, just get myself set, a look at the hole, eyes back to the ball but my ‘minds eye’ focused on the hole (helps for speed control) and stroke the putt.

Bomber55
1st September 2018, 07:42 PM
I started using the "plumb bob" to judge break. It has helped me a lot. "Aim Point" is not going to help if I have no feeling in my feet?
I also recognise that taking time to focus on the put is critical. Several times a round I have found myself rushing because there is a group approaching turning a possible one put, into a three put.

okitoki
3rd September 2018, 11:04 AM
a couple of putts I fluffed up were ones I see it as a uphill putt only to see it flying away from the hole then realising if I were to look from the other side would show an obvious downhill....
or holes I see it was a right to left, only to see the person putting before me showing that its a left to right... .
Just dont know why my eyes want to trick me...

Lucky most of my missed first putts, I was able to hole out on my 2nd since I've been working on those 3-4 feet putts to build up my confidence again... only 3 putt for the weekend was from a bad swing back that went wildly off line and ended up pulling the putt.... not sure how that happened....

Grumpy8
3rd September 2018, 11:58 AM
a couple of putts I fluffed up were ones I see it as a uphill putt only to see it flying away from the hole then realising if I were to look from the other side would show an obvious downhill.... or holes I see it was a right to left, only to see the person putting before me showing that its a left to right... .Just dont know why my eyes want to trick me... Lucky most of my missed first putts, I was able to hole out on my 2nd since I've been working on those 3-4 feet putts to build up my confidence again... only 3 putt for the weekend was from a bad swing back that went wildly off line and ended up pulling the putt.... not sure how that happened.... Trust your feet , get a feeling for the slopes thru your feet/ balance . Plus if it’s your regular course remember the strange breaks /pin positions for the future

okitoki
3rd September 2018, 12:14 PM
Trust your feet , get a feeling for the slopes thru your feet/ balance . Plus if it’s your regular course remember the strange breaks /pin positions for the future

will need to get the feel better...

However, it has been a challenging pin location as they were located in positions I have not played at before... I guess the final round of Club Champ on Saturday, and the Pro-Am for PGA trainees on Sunday made things a little bit more interesting for us :)

bongoey
7th March 2019, 06:20 AM
Trust your feet , get a feeling for the slopes thru your feet/ balance . Plus if it’s your regular course remember the strange breaks /pin positions for the future +1 the 🦶 don’t lie

mrbluu
8th March 2019, 01:55 PM
I prefer to wash the hole before I reach the green.

Your playing partners don't mind playing with a wet hole?[emoji16]

henno
8th March 2019, 01:59 PM
Your playing partners don't mind playing with a wet hole?[emoji16]

My putter makes their day, but the shaft length makes their hole weak.