PDA

View Full Version : HELP.... Server SSH access help

golfbound
27th July 2018, 07:16 PM
Hi guys i have a vps and has shut down because its used more disk space than i have and i need someone to ssh in and deleted some things so it works again. Can anyone here help at all

AndyP
28th July 2018, 07:15 AM
Can’t your server hosts help out?

henno
28th July 2018, 07:37 AM
I can help.

golfbound
28th July 2018, 07:45 AM
Hi guys

the problem is im with Godaddy with a VPS with 40gb disk space and last i checked 3 weeks ago it was at 19gb used. last night all websites went down and emails so i phoned godaddy and they said im over my disk space and the server has shut down. they told me to SSH in and delete some stuff but im not sure what to delete and how, the other option they gave me was to pay $450 to get 10gb more space.

Any ideas and or help would be great.

henno
28th July 2018, 08:26 AM
A few things:

1. $450 is heckin' ridiculous for 10GB, particularly if the level of server management you are getting from them is just 'SSH in an delete some stuff'.
2. Are you familiar with unix/linux systems? If so, just SSH in and delete some stuff.
3. However, I would be finding out what has caused that 21GB to fill up all of a sudden. I would hazard a guess it might be a logfile or something that has just been growing and growing ad infinitum. Merely deleting it might not solve the issue.

I could probably log in and solve the issue for you in five minutes, but I also highly recommend against giving SSH access to strangers on the internet so you are on your own there.

golfbound
28th July 2018, 09:16 AM
Hi Henno

I know the file and the problem and would love some help.

AndyP
28th July 2018, 09:52 AM
If it is just deleting a file, just grab a free FTP tool. That will be simpler to use, than command line stuff.

golfbound
28th July 2018, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys i used filezilla and deleted what i needed to. I couldnt do it before as Godaddy blocked my IP.

AndyP
28th July 2018, 10:23 PM
Will you be re-assessing GoDaddy? This is something that they should have been able to do as part of support.

golfbound
28th July 2018, 10:26 PM
yep have moved a few sites over to wix at the moment and as soon as this expires the rest will go.