PDA

View Full Version : Driver question

okitoki
25th June 2018, 01:03 PM
Having been working on my swing for the driver over the last few months, and seem to have worked to a consistent swing hitting fairly straight and seem to hit the balls mostly in the middle of the club face.
I am now back to my M1 10.5 with the AD TP 6S shaft with a SS of around 95-100; Ball flight is still launching it high, but not as high as before, with minimal roll.

Went down to Golf box yesterday with the M1 to compare with different drivers; Have hit a Rogue SZ, the G400 Max and the 917D2 all with stock stiff shafts and 10.5; TBH, the results were all pretty much similar to each other with the G400Max being the most consistent straight, then the M1, 917 and Rogue SZ.

The thing that I took away from the trail was:
- My smash factor is pretty low (seem to be less than or around 1.4) even when I am hitting the center of the face.
- my Spin numbers seems to be around 2600rpm with the highest around 3000 with the G400.
- My carry distance is about 200M and roll to around 215M (longest was 225M with the G400 but with a slight draw)
- my Lateral angle is around 18* (Guy at GB said it looks like my AoA was still hitting down at the ball)
- I seem to hit 10.5 much better, and when I try a 9.5 it just seem to become less consistent.

so the question i have is;
- Can the smash factor be improved? why would it be low even though I have center strike on the club face?
- if I were to have a positive angle of attack, would that not increase the lateral launch angle even higher?

Wenz
25th June 2018, 01:25 PM
Q1. I'm assuming golfbox are using a GC2 launch monitor, if so, smash factor is a preset figure. I wouldn't worry about that.

Q2. Not sure of this one.

3Puttpete
25th June 2018, 01:36 PM
Q1. I'm assuming golfbox are using a GC2 launch monitor, if so, smash factor is a preset figure. I wouldn't worry about that.

Q2. Not sure of this one.

Isn’t smash factor ball speed/clubhead speed ?

Wenz
25th June 2018, 01:39 PM
Yes but GC2 without HMT doesn't measure the club head or face.

okitoki
25th June 2018, 01:43 PM
the smash factor i had were mostly based on ball speed/swing speed mental calculation...

wazamac
25th June 2018, 01:52 PM
I get more smash factor by hammering the tee into the ground.

okitoki
25th June 2018, 01:56 PM
I get more smash factor by hammering the tee into the ground.
I assume after hitting the ball? :D

Also, what does the Lateral launch angle suppose to signify then? does it not correlate to the angle of attack?

Jazz18
25th June 2018, 09:26 PM
It would seem strange to me that you have an 18deg launch angle from a 10.5deg driver if your AoA is -ve. I would try to clarify that. As Wenz said above, unless they are using GC Quad or GC2 with HMT, the AoA will not be measured and might be very difficult for the "fitter" to see just by looking at you swing.

3oneday
26th June 2018, 08:42 AM
Drive for show.

benno_r
26th June 2018, 11:40 AM
Drive for show.Not really. Look at the top 5 players so far this year (DJ, bubba, JDay, JT, Rose).

They are higher ranked in sg off the tee than sg putting (except for Jday).

3Puttpete
26th June 2018, 11:49 AM
Chicks dig the long ball

milo-man20
26th June 2018, 12:52 PM
you can definitely have a positive angle of attack and reduce the dynamic loft. same as you can have a negative AOA and increase the dynamic loft. My suggestion as always is to get a lesson with someone using GC Quad and let them work out what all the numbers mean in relation to you.

okitoki
26th June 2018, 02:28 PM
Had a hit today.
Tried the lower tee and can see the ball started low then ballooned up . Nice and straight but damn short.
Raised the tee again and get those high launch ball that floats forever... big bomb with back wind and nice chip with head wind :D

Yeah need to go for a lesson but not sure where in Perth has the proper machine for it

PapaBravo
26th June 2018, 04:00 PM
Smash factor is an interesting one, and one that I think can get alot of misunderstanding about, because (my understanding is) it is based on the CG of the head at the moment of impact, which is not square in the middle of the club face unless all of the other variables align perfectly.

From an inside the plane swing path, the CG is typically moved closer to the outside of the head and from an outside the plane swing, CG is moved closer to the hosel side of the head.

The AOA/RPM seems much more relevant here than the "smash factor" The more negative the AOA the higher RPM if all other variables are consistent.

I suspect you have really good hand eye co-ordination and are able to make really good contact even with a negative AOA, but it's costing you distance because of the RPM/Launch angle relationship. Best conclusion I can come up with is stick with the higher tee, keeping it forward and holding the shoulder turn off creating greater separation between the hips and the shoulders. It's very easy to be focusing on "hitting the ball" when teeing up and forward, instead of focusing on swinging through and allowing the ball to get in the way of the swing path. Be mindful of the spine tilt at set up and maintaining it as long as you can, and swing to a reference point rather than swinging "at the ball"

It will feel like you have lost all control until your subconscious stops getting in the way. Practice this on the range as much as you can before hitting the course.

Hope this helps somewhat :D

3oneday
26th June 2018, 05:49 PM
Not really. Look at the top 5 players so far this year (DJ, bubba, JDay, JT, Rose).

They are higher ranked in sg off the tee than sg putting (except for Jday).
Ok, and someone who rarely breaks 90? :)

benno_r
26th June 2018, 07:48 PM
Ok, and someone who rarely breaks 90? :)Same. If you cant drive but putt well as a chopper, you'll be making some sweet bogey/double bogey putts.

Captain Nemo
26th June 2018, 08:24 PM
**** you guys are way overthinking this shit.
Maybe watch some of bubbas swings on YouTube ffs.

mrbluu
27th June 2018, 07:45 AM
**** you guys are way overthinking this shit.
Maybe watch some of bubbas swings on YouTube ffs.Yep, totally agree, why bother trying to figure out what your doing wrong and fixing it. Aimlessly just walking up to a ball and hitting is a much better way to golf!!

okitoki
3rd July 2018, 09:59 AM
Went for a lesson with Trackman on Saturday;
Initial review of my original swing was:
- Stands too wide, with my spinal tilt, I was aiming way high
- My feeling of sway was confirmed on the video; on my downswing, I was swaying to the left beyond my original starting point, causing me to lean further right to hit upward.
- I wasn't rotating my left hip on completion of the swing, causing me to release my hands too early and flipping up, reducing my ball speed.
- I dont roll my left foot on completion, so I was holding my body back and flipping my arm.

So the first was to reduce my stance width to my shoulder width which seems awfully small, the drill I had was having a chair placed on my left side of my hip and not to hit it on the down swing, and focus on rotating my left hip.

Not concentrating on the ball path, I can see my swing speed has drop back to around the low 90s. However, some of the numbers were showing I was getting better smash factor, and some carry distances were just as far as my 95+ swings.

However, the timing my wrist and hand position is all messed up, and now I have the old pulled left hook shots again....

wazamac
3rd July 2018, 10:10 AM
I also have one hell of a sway going on. Not that I need trackman to tell me that.
Spent most of Sunday trying to rotate around my right thigh. Drives still going nowhere (around 170-190) but improved my score by 11 points from Saturday.
My Swing Speed would max at 90mph so now I will try and increase the lag. My wrists would break way to early.

okitoki
3rd July 2018, 10:19 AM
it was interesting to see on video confirming some of my suspicion on how my swing goes;
I have previously being shown the rotating hip drill and with my shots all hooking left, and trying to "serve tea" with my right hand always made me think that I was doing the wrong thing... able to see some that it actually improved on some of the numbers sort of encourage me not to go back to my old habits that might be limiting my potential for improvements.

thecollective
3rd July 2018, 10:19 AM
I also have one hell of a sway going on. Not that I need trackman to tell me that.
Spent most of Sunday trying to rotate around my right thigh. Drives still going nowhere (around 170-190) but improved my score by 11 points from Saturday.
My Swing Speed would max at 90mph so now I will try and increase the lag. My wrists would break way to early.

Waza; one tip I got from a very good coach many moons ago

- Purchase two inflatable beach balls and blow them up to about 70% capacity

- Stick one between your legs and one between your arms, looks silly yes but practise swinging back and forth and this will make it much harder to sway

Johnny Canuck
3rd July 2018, 11:03 AM
Went for a lesson with Trackman on Saturday;
Initial review of my original swing was:
- Stands too wide, with my spinal tilt, I was aiming way high
- My feeling of sway was confirmed on the video; on my downswing, I was swaying to the left beyond my original starting point, causing me to lean further right to hit upward.
- I wasn't rotating my left hip on completion of the swing, causing me to release my hands too early and flipping up, reducing my ball speed.
- I dont roll my left foot on completion, so I was holding my body back and flipping my arm.

So the first was to reduce my stance width to my shoulder width which seems awfully small, the drill I had was having a chair placed on my left side of my hip and not to hit it on the down swing, and focus on rotating my left hip.

Not concentrating on the ball path, I can see my swing speed has drop back to around the low 90s. However, some of the numbers were showing I was getting better smash factor, and some carry distances were just as far as my 95+ swings.

However, the timing my wrist and hand position is all messed up, and now I have the old pulled left hook shots again....

Who did you have the lesson with?

wazamac
3rd July 2018, 11:12 AM
looks silly, yes.

Don't you think I look silly enough as it is.

okitoki
3rd July 2018, 11:53 AM
Who did you have the lesson with? Went to WA golf club and saw Michael

Johnny Canuck
3rd July 2018, 02:05 PM
Went to WA golf club and saw Michael

He’s a good guy.

okitoki
4th July 2018, 10:44 AM
Left work early yesterday because I needed to get some vaccination done before I fly out to Zambia next week for work... so had some time to kill so went to the range again to practice the new swing.

it was a struggle trying to get the ball to fly straight, while trying to work on "club head control", so I get this low left pulled hook shot or a floppy high slice;
Out of frustration, I widen my stance slightly, but less than how I wide used to stand, plant the feet down with an emphasis on weight distributed on the inner heel pushing outward... it seems to have kept my left sway under contol.

So, ensuring my left hip turns with my right foot lifts up on finish to complete the turn, also going back to the old drill of reaching out on the back swing and throwing club outward on the down swing seem to have kept the hook monster away at the end.

Will see if this repeat in the next practice.

Johnny Canuck
4th July 2018, 01:22 PM
Left work early yesterday because I needed to get some vaccination done before I fly out to Zambia next week for work... so had some time to kill so went to the range again to practice the new swing.

it was a struggle trying to get the ball to fly straight, while trying to work on "club head control", so I get this low left pulled hook shot or a floppy high slice;
Out of frustration, I widen my stance slightly, but less than how I wide used to stand, plant the feet down with an emphasis on weight distributed on the inner heel pushing outward... it seems to have kept my left sway under contol.

So, ensuring my left hip turns with my right foot lifts up on finish to complete the turn, also going back to the old drill of reaching out on the back swing and throwing club outward on the down swing seem to have kept the hook monster away at the end.

Will see if this repeat in the next practice.

The big pull or slice can often stem from losing spine angle during the swing and collapsing. Maintain spine angle and rotate around it.

Grumpy8
4th July 2018, 01:27 PM
Goat humping is a term used for it . Think it has crept into my driving

okitoki
4th July 2018, 01:56 PM
The big pull or slice can often stem from losing spine angle during the swing and collapsing. Maintain spine angle and rotate around it.

Yeah, will try that... I think locking in my feet helps me maintain the spinal posture instead of swaying too much with the narrow stance

Played Saturday after the lesson, was hitting the drives pretty well with a slight fade.... Well under control and seem to carry pretty well.
However, on Sunday morning, played Hartfield starting on the 2nd 9... First few holes were pretty good same as Saturday; However, on the 16th hole with the dog leg left, decided to hit the high bomb to carry the tree... worked well; But then on the 17th, the dreaded left pull hook came knocking on the door, and I could not hit any straight drives after that hole.
Managed to get one straight slight draw drive on the 8th tee by trying to go back to my old wide stance.... but other than that... was a dismal day

okitoki
9th July 2018, 11:00 AM

OK; during the week, I have been practicing a bit before the weekend Pennant game... lowered my driver loft, got a lower ball flight and seemed to be more consistent with the direction. Only missed 3 fairway (two were just off in slight rough and one was just lost concentration and hit a high right shot in to the driving range)
concentrated by planting feet down a little firmer and try to maintain my spine angle.
Also was using the drill of "punching the ground" which improved my iron strikes alot, and also seem to help with the rotation of my back swing and avoided those big pulled hooks I was struggling with.

Another drill I was using from a clinic I went to was to swing back at 9 oclock and finish at 3 oclock with the driver to stop me from flipping my wrist left... surprised how straight and far I could hit with that... so got my mind off "beat the crap out of the ball" down swing...

Did experiment with releasing with a right wrist flick just before impact... was awesome when i got it right when I release it like I was giving a finger (imagine wrist flicking bottom up), but when I get the face slap movement (wrist going right left) I get the big hook..... seems inconsistent so abandoned this before I get it into habit.

Daves
13th July 2018, 08:58 AM
Goat humping is a term used for it . Think it has crept into my driving

I see this swing type a lot, it is hard to watch! They sway rather than rotate, and their body tries to save it by rising up to give them room to get to the ball. They blame it on lifting their head, but that is just a symptom of the problem.

The fundamental building block of a consistent swing, and its power, is that rather innocuous and relatively small rotation of the hips around the bottom of the spine. From 15 past to about 25 mins to, and then reverse to about 25mins past **, or thereabout depending on age and flexibility. Get that right and the rest will fall into place with practice and good drills. Get it wrong and you will want to have great hand/eye co-ordination and a great scrambling game!

** for Right Handers it is the opposite rotation i.e start at around 15 past and turn to about 25 past, then reverse and swing through to about 25 to. The ball is at about 12 o'clock, depending on your set up.

Grumpy8
13th July 2018, 10:36 AM
I see this swing type a lot, it is hard to watch! They sway rather than rotate, and their body tries to save it by rising up to give them room to get to the ball. They blame it on lifting their head, but that is just a symptom of the problem.The fundamental building block of a consistent swing, and its power, is that rather innocuous and relatively small rotation of the hips around the bottom of the spine. From 15 past to about 25 mins to, and then reverse to about 25mins past **, or thereabout depending on age and flexibility. Get that right and the rest will fall into place with practice and good drills. Get it wrong and you will want to have great hand/eye co-ordination and a great scrambling game!** for Right Handers it is the opposite rotation i.e start at around 15 past and turn to about 25 past, then reverse and swing through to about 25 to. The ball is at about 12 o'clock, depending on your set up.Rotating my hips is a problem , a have some lower back problems, but when pain free and rotating not spinning my hips , keeping spine angle and not goat jumping it’s surprising how far you can hit driver with a slow and easy swing .

okitoki
6th March 2020, 12:47 PM
Well, time for an update
had 2 lessons so far, and have to report an improvement to my strike number.... well, not with proper trackman, but using toptracer at Whaleback range, so numbers are not 100% but I am comparing numbers from previous range session.

the first lesson I had was to adjust my grips from a strong right hand grip to a more neutral grip. This is a big deal for me as it felt very unnatural for me. But after practicing the grip over a few nights while watching TV Ive managed to get over that.

The next lesson was a change in my swing pattern from an outside in to more inside to inside. Still working on the wrist rotation at release to stop the "blocked" open shots. The biggest change I've learned during the lesson was on how to address my shots.
My previous routine was to stand with ball and club between my legs, move left foot a club head length and right to shoulder width; with this I had a tendency to rotate my right shoulder towards the ball instead of tilting my spine right; which would cause an ugly pulled hook as my bad shots (pretty common for awhile); this also resulted in me being confused with how to align the club head to my target

Now the address set up has been changed a little. I start off with the club head resting square towards target; with the ball infront of my left foot. so the club is actually addressed a few inches behind the ball. move left foot by alittle so ball is by heel. Open right foot to shoulder length, lean slightly right to move club behind the ball.

With this slight change, I have noticed I have reduced the right shoulder lean issue from before, and I can actually hit the ball more solid and higher too. the number of left pulled shots have reduced from obvious bad swings. (previously it wasnt obvious)
with the higher launch, I noted my carry distance (using toptracer) has increased from 210m to 230m; average ball speed from mid 140s to mid 150s and a tighter dispersion.
I still have a occasional blocked right shot, but that seems to be from my issue with not rotation my hand on release (the cricket block swing) so thats still a WIP.

Will need to go for a trackman session again to see the proper numbers.

Stuart
9th May 2020, 07:27 PM
(the cricket block swing)

I think a lot of people can very quickly pick out a cricketer who has taken up golf later in life. As a prime example, look at the swing of 'Richo' from Australian Golf Course Reviewer on Youtube. The troubles that Brendon Julian has is another one.

There is just something about ingrained batting techniques that do not lend themselves to learning a golf swing. I won't say that it can't be done, but ex-cricketers seem to really struggle to adapt their muscle-memory patterns built around vertical and horizontal shots to what a golf swing requires. If you learned to play golf as a teenager, its not too bad. But trying to take golf up after a career of cricket is tough ...

markTHEblake
9th May 2020, 07:33 PM
You maybe right. Pontingwas a very good golfer as a junior.

Sydney Hacker
9th May 2020, 08:14 PM
I think it was Virge who said it in a discussion I had with him about cricket vs golf, leg glance equals good, straight drive equals bad.

Your hands/wrists in cricket push through the line which doesn’t help you in golf.

Hockey on the other hand...

TheNuclearOne
9th May 2020, 10:15 PM
There's any amount of fine golfers among cricketers that did take up golf earlier. Sobers was still driving the ball 300 at 60 odd and he was scratch or scratch not long prior i believe. Dan Marsh +4 without a lesson. Greg Blewett +1, James Hopes 1, Jon Holland 1, Dean Jones 1, Henriques 1, Opie 1, Dunk 4, Warne 6, Maxwell 8, Starc/Finch/Warner 10, Bob Simpson got to scratch i think and played off singles for over 50 years. I think i recall reading Bradman got to scratch and late in life he was shooting under his age. Border started at 17 and i think in one of his books he mentioned being off 4 but i'd have to find it again. That's just (excepting Sobes) Australians.

wazamac
10th May 2020, 09:57 AM
Hockey on the other hand...

Most Hockey players I have known are good golfers too. Many years ago played with an ex hockeyroo. Had bad back from 8 hour training days hunched over a hockey ball so took up golf.

NewyMitch
10th May 2020, 10:19 AM
Most Hockey players I have known are good golfers too. Many years ago played with an ex hockeyroo. Had bad back from 8 hour training days hunched over a hockey ball so took up golf. As a former hockey player myself I would have to say that I have had to do a lot of work to stop flipping the club at the ball. You don't compress the hockey ball when you hit it. This is still my miss when I lose my tempo.It is however very good at learning how to hit the ball hard :)

markTHEblake
10th May 2020, 10:41 AM
Hockey players are easy to pick... inside, short, shut backswings :-)At highschool sport they wouldnt let me play hockey, cos it looked like I was going to take someones head off with my golf swing.

Daves
10th May 2020, 10:52 AM
As a former hockey player myself I would have to say that I have had to do a lot of work to stop flipping the club at the ball. You don't compress the hockey ball when you hit it. This is still my miss when I lose my tempo.It is however very good at learning how to hit the ball hard :)

I have a mate who was a State Hockey Player and he is exactly as you describe. He hits the ball very long for his age, but I struggle to get him to slow down and hold the angles. When he does he is capable of playing to half his handicap.

Stuart
10th May 2020, 07:00 PM
There's any amount of fine golfers among cricketers that did take up golf earlier. Sobers was still driving the ball 300 at 60 odd and he was scratch or scratch not long prior i believe. Dan Marsh +4 without a lesson. Greg Blewett +1, James Hopes 1, Jon Holland 1, Dean Jones 1, Henriques 1, Opie 1, Dunk 4, Warne 6, Maxwell 8, Starc/Finch/Warner 10, Bob Simpson got to scratch i think and played off singles for over 50 years. I think i recall reading Bradman got to scratch and late in life he was shooting under his age. Border started at 17 and i think in one of his books he mentioned being off 4 but i'd have to find it again. That's just (excepting Sobes) Australians.

Agreed - lots of good golfing cricketers. However, I was referring to those taking it up after finishing with cricket and trying to learn the golf swing. All of those were playing golf while they were still active cricketers. In fact, both Sobers and Bradman (amongst others) were criticised in the media at various points for playing too much golf rather than cricket.

TheNuclearOne
10th May 2020, 07:53 PM
Agreed - lots of good golfing cricketers. However, I was referring to those taking it up after finishing with cricket and trying to learn the golf swing. All of those were playing golf while they were still active cricketers. In fact, both Sobers and Bradman (amongst others) were criticised in the media at various points for playing too much golf rather than cricket.

For sure mate was adding some input. Taking up golf around the age most finish cricket would be difficult for anyone. Hard sport to take up in your 30's. Be an interesting topic what various famous people are off including sport and film stars.

Sydney Hacker
11th May 2020, 04:39 AM
I had a couple of games of cricket after a few years of just playing golf, I found it very hard to play anything through the off side as the arms were instinctively rolling over and pulling everything straighter or through the leg side. Great for anything on the pads though!

Ferrins
11th May 2020, 07:29 AM
I will ask Greg Chappell next time I see him.

markTHEblake
12th May 2020, 09:02 AM
When Greg Chappell famously partnered with Gerry Hogan to promote the AD21 shafts at aroind $600 a pop, just after he retired from cricket, i am very sure he was playing off 10. ( back then a 10 was relatively a better player than a 10 now)

Whats he play off now?

Ferrins
12th May 2020, 09:57 AM
5 at RQ or 3 at Nudgee

markTHEblake
12th May 2020, 10:31 AM
Handy player. Can you hit your 3w further than his driver or is it only me you do that too

Ferrins
12th May 2020, 10:45 AM
A bit wobbly in his putting stroke
Decent short game
Good longer irons
Straight but not long with the driver.
Wears the same gear every round basically looks like a cricket umpire with two black golf gloves on.

okitoki
12th May 2020, 11:08 AM
He must have plenty of good stories to tell

Ferrins
12th May 2020, 11:24 AM
Yes he does. I told him when we play that we must have one hole of uncensored behind the ropes stories from the respected tours.
Last round my story was why my skipping rope handles never smelled the same after Cashy borrowed them.
I will not divulge his in any detail but it involved David Hughes, Newk and 3 nights of partying in NY.

Sydney Hacker
12th May 2020, 11:31 AM
Did he tell you why his nickname was Handles?

wazamac
12th May 2020, 11:39 AM
He must have plenty of good stories to tell

Whatever Greg has to tell, Ferrins will upstage him in the story department everytime.

okitoki
27th May 2020, 06:31 PM
Ok; went down to Wembley golf club to use their trackman since they had free sessions on offer.
Using my G410+ with the Tensei white 60S set at 9* with the weight on the draw setting.
My swing speed is averaging at 98mph, smash factor of mid to high 1.4s; angle of attack is positive 3* and launch angle of around 13.1*
spin numbers were good at low 2000s; with high at 3000 when I have my club face open and it goes straight right to fade.
carry distance is 220s to a total of just under 250m

Looking at a few of the shots, the numbers seems to be on the "optimal" range, and I am pretty much reached the "maximum" potential distance with that particular shot.
So... does that mean I am unable to improve my distance without increasing my swing speed? is this the best I can do?

just curious on how much my swing speed can be improved through equipment optimization before looking at further changes to my swing

markTHEblake
27th May 2020, 06:36 PM
My guess is equipment cant improve yourswing speed, except for making the shaft longer

okitoki
27th May 2020, 06:42 PM
My guess is equipment cant improve yourswing speed, except for making the shaft longer

yeah,.... I have a 47" shaft to go with the M1 and that didnt work out too well :D

JADO75
27th May 2020, 07:27 PM
Gotta grip it n rip it brotha

BobsYourUncle
27th May 2020, 07:38 PM
Realistically, how far do you need to hit it? 220 carry is pretty long, giving you wedges into your typical 350m par 4.

I can get my swing speed up towards 110, but I lose accuracy. I'm happy carrying 230 or so, gets me close enough to par 4s and makes most par 5s reachable. Depends on your course though I guess.

But then again, everyone wants to be longer :) Maybe get a swing speed radar if you want to try to get faster?

okitoki
27th May 2020, 08:09 PM
220m carry I would say is the best case scenario on the course. Realistically my on course averages probably about 200to 210 carry.
I think My home course is pretty long so having the extra distance does help on the 2nd shot.
130M is an 8i for me unfortunately.

BobsYourUncle
27th May 2020, 08:54 PM
What causes the variation? What stops you from hitting it 220 all the time? Are you missing the centre of the club? Inconsistent launch/spin/shape? Or is your swing speed dropping? The first step is probably to increase your consistency - unless you're swinging out of your skin to hit 98mph, in which case it'll be tough you be consistent.

I generally lose speed & distance when I try to kill the ball. When I want a bit extra, I try to get my swing "wider"/"longer" - stand a bit further from the ball, keep my hands further away from my body. The further the clubhead is from your body, generally the faster it's going. But again, it's going to be hard to know if you're making a difference without some way to measure.

okitoki
27th May 2020, 09:02 PM
I don't try to smash the ball during the trackman session. Just try to swing as normal as possible.

But the difference during round probably due to mental and tee box condition..wind... soggy ground, etc.
My 2nd shots are generally around the 150-160m range so I am assuming I'm shooting less than the 220 carry.

Johnny Canuck
27th May 2020, 10:07 PM
220m carry I would say is the best case scenario on the course. Realistically my on course averages probably about 200to 210 carry.
I think My home course is pretty long so having the extra distance does help on the 2nd shot.
130M is an 8i for me unfortunately.

Harty is short!

5,11,14 are really the only “longer” par 4s out there. Maybe 3 as well.

The 5s aren’t long, except 18, which plays longer.

That distance should do you well out there. Harty is all about position and being below the hole on the green, where possible.

okitoki
27th May 2020, 10:27 PM
Harty is short! lol... well, maybe to a big hitter like you :D

JoeS
28th May 2020, 06:35 AM
We have some older players at our club who would love to be able to hit it 200 off the tee.They have learnt to use the the short game and to good use,and putt,dam they can putt.And they are single figure handicap and over 70 years old.Distance is only good if you have a short game.If you can bomb it 220,but don't have distance control with shorter irons,then what is the point of being long

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk