PDA

View Full Version : New Site Layout!!! Nice!!!

McMw
12th August 2004, 09:39 AM
Site looks great...Liking the change!!!

Guess we've learnt the art of travelling back thru time!!! :lol:

clikchic
12th August 2004, 09:48 AM
Site looks great...Liking the change!!!

Guess we've learnt the art of travelling back thru time!!! :lol:

LOL! Thanks McMw

As you might have guessed the forum was down last night and we somehow lost the database. So... I had to restore an old backup before it would let me restore a more recent one hence the time travel! LOL

Unfortunately we have lost a bit of data but at least it is only a few days worth. Our most recent member will have to rejoin also. :-( If anyone knows him please can you let him know what happened and why he is no longer a member! :-(

The new layout is actually the standard template for this forum. goughy has been talking to jaster and mentioned that I never have problems with another forum I have on this server and it uses this template so here goes! Perhaps it will improve stability a bit. Fingers Crossed! :roll:

jaster
12th August 2004, 10:34 AM
I love the new layout also :) Well done clikchic!!

3oneday
12th August 2004, 10:39 AM
Hey Jaster, did u want 2 repost that R7 TP (ebay) from yesterday.

pete

McMw
12th August 2004, 10:56 AM
like the color scheme now... :D

clikchic
12th August 2004, 11:18 AM
Goughy here, just couldn't be bothered loging clikchic out :D

Some other benefits of this layout - You enter the chatroom from down the bottom where it tells you who is online, but it also tells you how many and who is in the chatroom. No clicking on it to find that no-one is in there.

There's also some other downloads clikchic wants to try and see if they work. I think there's a quick reply option, some statistic options, a calender download (we could enter our ozgolf days in it etc).

She's also looking for a way to automatically backup more often than it does, maybe every 100 or so posts, which will equate to about once a day.

Things are on the move and hopefully they will smooth out.

While we have significantly more traffic than her other forum, it has had no probs what-so-ever. Maybe we have a little demon jinxing us. :roll:

AndyP
12th August 2004, 11:56 AM
Some other benefits of this layout - You enter the chatroom from down the bottom where it tells you who is online, but it also tells you how many and who is in the chatroom. No clicking on it to find that no-one is in there.
While there are some benefits from the forum side of the chatroom, and I'm not sure what benefits there are from an admin side of things, the general feeling is that this chatroom is not as good as the previous chat area. Here are some points that we have picked up from using the chatroom:

Bad points
- Last time I checked, it only provided a small window that would not allow you to maximise.
- It has an annoying habit of constantly refreshing, which may have caused a couple of epilectic fits. As well some pausing (this also happened in the other area)
- The chatroom automatically logs you out, if you don't post for a couple of minutes. This makes it hard to let other people see that you are available for a chat.
- Unable to check the posts that were made before you enter the room

Good points
- Automatic login, with your forum login name
- Full use of emoticons from forum

In the previous chatroom, you could also check who was in there.

She's also looking for a way to automatically backup more often than it does, maybe every 100 or so posts, which will equate to about once a day.
That's once a day for jarro, jaster and myself. What about the rest of the forum users? :wink:

Things are on the move and hopefully they will smooth out.
Your work is appreciated. 8)

burger
12th August 2004, 12:08 PM
I'm a fan of this new layout & colour scheme too!
Much easier on my poor old eyes . . . .
stu

Trung
12th August 2004, 01:19 PM
Good job Clikchic :D

AndyP
12th August 2004, 03:42 PM
Have you been working on this all day, clikchic? Everytime I log in I notice something different. I just noticed the chat option in the top menu with the little icon. :)
Very impressive! :smt023

clikchic
12th August 2004, 04:07 PM
Have you been working on this all day, clikchic? Everytime I log in I notice something different. I just noticed the chat option in the top menu with the little icon. :)
Very impressive! :smt023

Pretty much! ;-)

I have gastro and am supposed to be resting up but I can't help myself! I hate it when things aren't running smoothly!

The extra chat link at the top is to help with the chat room size problem, but the one down the bottom still shows how many chatters in the room and who etc. He he and I designed the little chat button myself..not quite as perfect as the others but it will do.. not used to designing graphics that small!

Oh and I now have the new backup system set to backup every 20 posts so no more significant loss of data! Given that there is an average of probably 100 posts a day that means the forum will be backed up several times a day. YAY

Fingers crossed this one now goes as smoothly as my other forum which I have been running since October last year and to date have not had a single problem!

Flowergirl
12th August 2004, 04:20 PM
Take a bow clickchic!!!!!Welldone.
(now if anyone knows clickchics address send me a pm and I'll send her flowers - really - cos that's what I do)
But don't tell her want it to be a suprise :D

Courty
12th August 2004, 04:40 PM
Excellent work, CC. This place continues to grow and improve beyond our meagre expectations... :D

Jarro
12th August 2004, 05:04 PM
Firstly, i'd like to say that the new layout looks fantastic :smt023 Great wotk guys...

secondly ....

There's also some other downloads clikchic wants to try and see if they work. I think there's a quick reply option, some statistic options, a calender download (we could enter our ozgolf days in it etc).

.. these sound like great ideas, particularly the calendar.. should make it easier to keep up with what games are happening 8)

Rock on Ozgolf :!: :!:

Jarro
12th August 2004, 05:05 PM
Firstly, i'd like to say that the new layout looks fantastic :smt023 Great work guys...

secondly ....

.. these sound like great ideas, particularly the calendar.. should make it easier to keep up with what games are happening 8)

Rock on Ozgolf :!: :!:

Onewood
12th August 2004, 05:58 PM
Happy :wink: well done crew 8) :P

Eag's
13th August 2004, 03:57 AM
You guys are doing a top job keeping this site up and running =D> :smt023
Give yourselves a big pat on the back :wink:

Flowergirl
13th August 2004, 07:56 AM
Eags........what are you doing posting at 4.57am!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

Jarro
13th August 2004, 08:15 AM
Eags........what are you doing posting at 4.57am!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

we shiftworkers tend to pop in here at the craziest hours :roll:

mike
13th August 2004, 05:12 PM
The new look site is .. well...it looks new.

However, since the swap, the page seems too big for my screen. I have to scroll accross all the time to see the end of a sentence. Like what happens when Jaster posts one of those huge pics.

Am I doing summin wrong ?

Or do I need to spend a couple of grand on a new computer?

Onewood
13th August 2004, 05:16 PM
The new look site is .. well...it looks new.

However, since the swap, the page seems too big for my screen. I have to scroll accross all the time to see the end of a sentence. Like what happens when Jaster posts one of those huge pics.

Am I doing summin wrong ?

Or do I need to spend a couple of grand on a new computer?
Mike, I have the same problem :roll:

goughy
13th August 2004, 06:15 PM
Is this the case every time a sentence goes down a line. Or only when a large picture is loaded. The large pics change the screen size and that is what happens. If it's every message , rob will look into it.

Onewood
13th August 2004, 06:28 PM
Is this the case every time a sentence goes down a line. Or only when a large picture is loaded. The large pics change the screen size and that is what happens. If it's every message , rob will look into it.

Goughy, it just misses by 2 or 3 letters

cheers

mike
13th August 2004, 06:53 PM

I'm missing a few words off every line , Goughy. And it's not when there's a pic, it's every page.

Bring back the old site. It should only take you a couple of days and a few sleepless nights. :wink:

Golfgirl
14th August 2004, 03:47 PM
Why does my page not fit on my screen - it doesn't miss by much, but I can't seem to fix it, and keep having to scroll accross to read the end of sentences...... which I am very lazy about....

I am very non-IT person - please explain in words of one syllable (alright - two if you can't do it with one....) :? :oops: :lol:

AndyP
14th August 2004, 04:37 PM
Why does my page not fit on my screen - it doesn't miss by much, but I can't seem to fix it, and keep having to scroll accross to read the end of sentences...... which I am very lazy about....

I am very non-IT person - please explain in words of one syllable (alright - two if you can't do it with one....) :? :oops: :lol:
I'm sure clikchic will be able to fix this. But another way for you to fix it in the meantime, is to change your screen resolution. You know the 800x600 thingy. Of course, you may not be able to read the sentences if you do this. :roll:

GG, I have put the key words in italics for you. :wink:

Onewood
16th August 2004, 09:07 AM
Could it be the size of the avatar photos that is causing the page to be too big 8)

Golfgirl
16th August 2004, 10:04 AM
GG, I have put the key words in italics for you.

Thanks - I understand the concept - just don't know how to do that.... and yes, my latest hair colour is blonde.... guess I better head on back to the hairdressers again... :oops: :lol:

goughy
16th August 2004, 11:24 AM
Don't think we can fix it peoples. The templates for the forum are designed to work on a 1024 x 768 resolution, not the old 800 x 600 standard. I'm afraid you might have to upgrade to larger monitors or buy some glasses so you can see the tiny writing.

A few years ago most sites were best viewed in a resolution of 800 x 600, which fits 14" monitors or 15" monitors well. Nowdays sites are designed with 1024 x 768 as the recomended resolution, which fits 15" or larger monitors. It can just be a little bit small on a 15".

Sorry but it's out of our hands.

AndyP
16th August 2004, 12:29 PM
Or continue as you are now, and keep scrolling across to read those extra few words. :P

mike
16th August 2004, 02:37 PM
Or
better
still
we
could
just
do
this.
:?

clikchic
16th August 2004, 03:09 PM
GG, I have put the key words in italics for you.

Thanks - I understand the concept - just don't know how to do that.... and yes, my latest hair colour is blonde.... guess I better head on back to the hairdressers again... :oops: :lol:

Golfgirl, and anyone else who doesn't know how to do it...

You can change your screen resolution and that should fix the problem.

To do so go to your desktop and right click
click on properties
click on the settings tab
At the bottom of the window you will see a slider where you can adjust your screen resolution.
If you set it to a minimum of 1024 x 768 your forum width issues should be resolved. Most monitors should be able to cope with this resolution unless they are REALLY old.
This setting does however make the writing smaller.

It is also possible that the avatar size allowance could be contributing to the problem as there is probably a wider margin on the left because the avatar size is quite large. Originally the allowance was set smaller but I think one of our administrators has made it bigger.... :roll: :)

Onewood
16th August 2004, 04:13 PM
It is also possible that the avatar size allowance could be contributing to the problem as there is probably a wider margin on the left because the avatar size is quite large. Originally the allowance was set smaller but I think one of our administrators has made it bigger....

I did'nt want to name names either :wink: :lol:

Onewood
16th August 2004, 04:16 PM
That fixed it 8) but made the writing very small....oh well its cool 8)

clikchic
16th August 2004, 04:20 PM

You soon get used to it! ;-) I prefer it smaller because you can fit more on your screen. ;-)

Onewood
16th August 2004, 04:23 PM

You soon get used to it! ;-) I prefer it smaller because you can fit more on your screen. ;-)

:D Its OK for you youngin's :D

Jarro
16th August 2004, 04:52 PM

:D Its OK for you youngin's :D

put your glasses on Pop :P :lol:

Golfgirl
16th August 2004, 08:04 PM
Thanks Clikchic - that's done the trick!!!

And I don't mind the smaller size writing - the eyesight isn't too bad yet.... :wink: