PDA

View Full Version : Golf's Ashes

chappy1970
20th July 2006, 10:50 AM
Patrick Smith (The Australian) has floated the idea to create a golf Ashes series to be played with 8-10 man teams (idea supported by Peter Thomson), played biennially around the same time as the Ashes cricket series.

What do you guys/gals think, I would love to see our top golfers give those pasty face pommies a flogging on the course

Chappy

BrisVegas
20th July 2006, 10:57 AM
It would be a horribly uneven contest. Australia would dominate the pasties... Not worth watching. I'd rather see Australia v USA.

chappy1970
20th July 2006, 11:16 AM
It would be a horribly uneven contest. Australia would dominate the pasties... Not worth watching. I'd rather see Australia v USA.

Agreed BV, but in the eyes of the yanks we don't rate a mention. A golf Ashes would give us the opportunity to sink the boot in.

And don't we just love that.

Chappy

Jarro
20th July 2006, 11:46 AM
sounds like a great idea to me.

Would the pommies be such a pushover though ?? they have some pretty handy players don't they ??

AndyP
20th July 2006, 11:54 AM
Any idea of Fatprick Smith's is a shit idea. Woeful journalist.

Jarro
20th July 2006, 12:00 PM
AndyP ..... examples ?!?

AndyP
20th July 2006, 12:05 PM
No examples of ideas, I'm just saying he's an idiot. Just read an article of his, and it should be clear.

chappy1970
20th July 2006, 12:35 PM
That fact that Patrick Smith is an imbecile or not is beside the point, the Australasian tour needs a spark and this could be it.

Another spin on the Ashes Idea would be for Australia/New Zealand to take on Great Britain (England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales), just a thought.

Chappy

Courty
20th July 2006, 12:39 PM
Good idea, chappy. That would bring Harrington into the mix.

AndyP
20th July 2006, 01:44 PM
Why would players leave their regular tournament schedule to play this? What's the incentive?

chappy1970
20th July 2006, 01:49 PM
Why would players leave their regular tournament schedule to play this? What's the incentive?

Well if its played in the Australian Summer inline with the cricket, there is bugger all tournies scheduled anyway. The Pro's don't get many opportunities to represent their countries and the Presidents Cup is a farce really.

I reckon they would be all for it.

Chappy

Courty
20th July 2006, 01:50 PM
Dollars is the only way they would play

just
20th July 2006, 01:57 PM
Chappy
Why do you think the Presidents Cup is a farce?
And Courty is right dollars are the only way to get them here and it would have to be large amounts to encourage them to play in their holiday period.
Justin

Webster
20th July 2006, 02:14 PM
pointless

(and Patrick Smith is a retard)

McMw
20th July 2006, 02:57 PM
can have it the weekend before or after the Royal Cup...

most of the EPGA players start their season in November/December in Asia...
timing could easily coincide with when the available aussies are playing in aus...

can be done - let's get more team events into the calendar!!! :D

chappy1970
20th July 2006, 03:09 PM
Chappy
Why do you think the Presidents Cup is a farce?
And Courty is right dollars are the only way to get them here and it would have to be large amounts to encourage them to play in their holiday period.
Justin

Don't get me wrong I love watching the Pres Cup, but it just doesn't have the feeling or emotion of the Ryder cup and never will. Whilst there is nothing like beating the yanks on course, they hold winning the Ryder cup far and above the Pres Cup (obviously it is still in its infancy).

The Ashes golf would be something to get excited about, we have a great rivalry with the Poms regardless of the sport that is being played, Rugby, Cricket, hockey, soccer whatever, there is always heaps of feeling in the events.

Chappy