PDA

View Full Version : Putting strokes - Phil M's method

okitoki
30th May 2018, 10:40 AM
I've been struggling with my putting for a long time now, and previously when using a mallet style putter, it usually get me close in terms of distance control, but accuracy has always been an issue for me, specially with the 3-6 feet putts; my ball position tends to be slightly forward from middle with a straight back straight forward stroke.
Recently bought myself a SC Squareback, but it down from 34" to 32", added 20g to counter the shorter shaft, and changed the grip to a fatter grip. Accuracy has improved, but my distance control is now crap; With some putts striking pure and goes a mile, or some just roll half way through. Then when it comes to short 3 feet putts, I would loose confident in it, and nurse the putt ending it going right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhzY7TIMnMU
I've watch Phil's short game video previously, and it help my chipping game alot, but I previously found how he placed the ball behind his front feet's heel, it was very odd with the mallet putters I had then.
After last few weekends' dismal performance, I thought I give it a try during my practice sessions.

I found that my putts are more consistent with how it hits off the putter face. I can seem to easily putt within the 3 feet radius around the hole. Shorter putts seems more aggressive to attack the hole rather then dribbling it in, and so far have been happy with the result.

Only thing is I have been practicing on greens that can be considered as slow. So I am not sure how it will perform on fast greens.
Another question is on how he suggest the 25-75 putting stroke. Is it meant to control the distance by how fast you follow through or by how far you swing back, thus how much further it will need to follow through for longer putts.

Anyone else use a similar method to this video?

Havent tried this in a game situation, and it will be a stroke game this weekend, so will be interesting to see how it performs.

mrbluu
30th May 2018, 11:32 AM
I've been struggling with my putting for a long time now, and previously when using a mallet style putter, it usually get me close in terms of distance control, but accuracy has always been an issue for me, specially with the 3-6 feet putts; my ball position tends to be slightly forward from middle with a straight back straight forward stroke.
Recently bought myself a SC Squareback, but it down from 34" to 32", added 20g to counter the shorter shaft, and changed the grip to a fatter grip. Accuracy has improved, but my distance control is now crap; With some putts striking pure and goes a mile, or some just roll half way through. Then when it comes to short 3 feet putts, I would loose confident in it, and nurse the putt ending it going right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhzY7TIMnMU

I've watch Phil's short game video previously, and it help my chipping game alot, but I previously found how he placed the ball behind his front feet's heel, it was very odd with the mallet putters I had then.
After last few weekends' dismal performance, I thought I give it a try during my practice sessions.

I found that my putts are more consistent with how it hits off the putter face. I can seem to easily putt within the 3 feet radius around the hole. Shorter putts seems more aggressive to attack the hole rather then dribbling it in, and so far have been happy with the result.

Only thing is I have been practicing on greens that can be considered as slow. So I am not sure how it will perform on fast greens.
Another question is on how he suggest the 25-75 putting stroke. Is it meant to control the distance by how fast you follow through or by how far you swing back, thus how much further it will need to follow through for longer putts.

Anyone else use a similar method to this video?

Havent tried this in a game situation, and it will be a stroke game this weekend, so will be interesting to see how it performs.

I really think people using counterbalance putters and fat grips to correct flaws in the putting stroke are looking to fix the symptoms and not the stroke itself.

I got to the bit where he said the hands should follow DTL and the top hand should be strong, then I stopped watching....

benno_r
30th May 2018, 11:35 AM
I think people who use counterbalance and fat grips find it more comfortable, and put the same stroke on the ball with or without them.

Phil is also 2nd in strokes gained putting this year, so he'd be a great person to base your putting on (except the left handed bit).

mrbluu
30th May 2018, 11:40 AM
I think people who use counterbalance and fat grips find it more comfortable, and put the same stroke on the ball with or without them.

If it's a matter of feel then no probs. What I'm saying is putting a fat grip or counter balancing the putter isn't going to improve putting stroke.

3Puttpete
30th May 2018, 11:48 AM
If it's a matter of feel then no probs. What I'm saying is putting a fat grip or counter balancing the putter isn't going to improve putting stroke.

It might improve results

mrbluu
30th May 2018, 11:53 AM
It might improve resultsAnything is possible.

okitoki
30th May 2018, 01:14 PM
I have tried different grip sizes, and found the fat grips was the most comfortable grip that suits my hand grip, and reduce the twitchiness I had with the smaller grips (So I guess that is my swing fault there)
But the counter balance was more accidental, as i was after a new grip for the Futura, and decided to do a comparison with the with or without the counterbalance weight.... Liked it with the weight it; Again, it was better for my distance control. Also I think it was because the putter was way too long for me at 35"

Phil is also 2nd in strokes gained putting this year, so he'd be a great person to base your putting on (except the left handed bit).
I was desperate enough to consider putting left handed at one stage.

3Puttpete
30th May 2018, 01:27 PM
I was desperate enough to consider putting left handed at one stage.
That makes your dominant hand the top hand.

There’s a school of thought that says cricketers should bat this way.

mrbluu
30th May 2018, 01:53 PM
I have tried different grip sizes, and found the fat grips was the most comfortable grip that suits my hand grip, and reduce the twitchiness I had with the smaller grips (So I guess that is my swing fault there)

If it's a comfort thing, then cool cos that's feel. The twitchy thing is more than like the the putter being in the wrong position during the stroke than your hands wanting to go nuts.

okitoki
30th May 2018, 02:32 PM
I would think so. With the new addres position seem to have reduce the yips i have had before.

Just went to Golf box to have a try of all their putters in the forward ball position. Most seem to roll much nicer than how I felt before in my old style. Just shafts are too long for me.

Captain Nemo
30th May 2018, 05:02 PM
I think trying to copy someone’s putter stroke is ****ing bullshit.
Line and pace beats everything every time.
I see old ****s sink putts every week with shit strokes because they have great feel and can see lines.
**** even I have a good day every once in a while!
Unless you have straight putts all the time, just worry about line and speed!

okitoki
30th May 2018, 05:21 PM
lol... rough day on the course?

its not a matter of just blindly copying someone else's stroke. Mine wasn't working before, so I am exploring if I am possibly placing my ball in the wrong position when putting which resulted in better line and ball striking. Previously, I think I can see the line and pace, but just cant get both to line up when needed.

However, I'm not fully sold yet on the 25-75 swing in the video yet as I find the over follow through seem to mess up with my pace.

Captain Nemo
30th May 2018, 05:27 PM
No.
Your over thinking it mate.

Captain Nemo
30th May 2018, 05:28 PM
Or get an eyeline putting mirror...

Jono
30th May 2018, 06:16 PM
Have you tried lining up the logo of the ball to the hole? It's helped me recently.

wazamac
30th May 2018, 07:22 PM
Somebody once told me that "every putt is a straight putt". Its not the putter trying to turn the ball into the hole.

As Nemo said, get the line and pace right first.

mrbluu
30th May 2018, 07:44 PM
Somebody once told me that "every putt is a straight putt". Its not the putter trying to turn the ball into the hole.

As Nemo said, get the line and pace right first.How u are going to get your line and pace right if your stroke is crap?

benno_r
30th May 2018, 07:57 PM
How u are going to get your line and pace right if your stroke is crap?Use a fat grip thats counterbalanced.

3Puttpete
30th May 2018, 08:03 PM
lol... rough day on the course?

its not a matter of just blindly copying someone else's stroke. Mine wasn't working before, so I am exploring if I am possibly placing my ball in the wrong position when putting which resulted in better line and ball striking. Previously, I think I can see the line and pace, but just cant get both to line up when needed.

However, I'm not fully sold yet on the 25-75 swing in the video yet as I find the over follow through seem to mess up with my pace.

Get rid of the video. You’ll learn nothing listening to Phil.

Pay attention to the instruction you’re getting on here. Some of these blokes have won Sunday stablefords.

Captain Nemo
30th May 2018, 08:07 PM
Get rid of the video. You’ll learn nothing listening to Phil. Pay attention to the instruction you’re getting on here. Some of these blokes have won Sunday stablefords. And Ozgolf champs....🤔

3Puttpete
30th May 2018, 08:12 PM
And Ozgolf champs....[emoji848]

Phil never won one of those [emoji1303]

mrbluu
30th May 2018, 08:13 PM
Use a fat grip thats counterbalanced.Of cos.....now u have convinced me. [emoji16]

benno_r
30th May 2018, 08:38 PM
Of cos.....now u have convinced me. [emoji16]Here to help bud!

mrbluu
30th May 2018, 08:44 PM
Here to help bud!I've just ordered 5 new counter balance grips.

Captain Nemo
30th May 2018, 08:51 PM
Phil never won one of those [emoji1303] 🤣

Johnny Canuck
30th May 2018, 10:12 PM
Or get an eyeline putting mirror...

These are very good Joe.

I've got one if you want to borrow it.

okitoki
30th May 2018, 10:18 PM
Might take up your offer mate

Grumpy8
31st May 2018, 05:28 PM
I only had 24 putts today , just thought you would like to know that

Johnny Canuck
31st May 2018, 06:01 PM
I only had 24 putts today , just thought you would like to know that

How many greens in reg?

Grumpy8
31st May 2018, 09:10 PM
How many greens in reg? 4 I think , for 2 birdies, a par and a 3 putt bogey, didn’t hit the ball all that well , was on or around the fringes a fair bit , 7 one putts on back nine .Sometimes people can improve their putting by chipping better and closer to the hole . I use a face balanced putter and found using a string line to practice under helped turn my putting around

okitoki
13th June 2018, 07:13 PM
Well had my first ever putting lesson... did not realise how far off I was with my head not over the ball and how much my putter was leaning back on the heel.

After the adjustment to the stance and locking up my wrists more on the grip. Seem to have reduce the tip situation. A couple of drills to practice for my stroke technique and also on distance control.

Long way to go

BayBum
14th June 2018, 02:18 PM
Club Pro>Phil Mickelson

Hatchman
21st June 2018, 12:45 AM
You gotta rise above it, you gotta harvest the good energy and block out the bad.
Harvest energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, feel it, it’s circular.
Its like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse, and you go up and down and around…in a circular circle with the music, the flow, all good things.

coalesce
21st June 2018, 11:25 AM
I think Phil might need to update his video to include tips on how to run after your ball in time to hit it again before it stops...

okitoki
21st June 2018, 11:47 AM
Haha... ouch