PDA

View Full Version : Structured practice

Jono
3rd May 2018, 05:24 PM
I've been looking for a structured practice program and came across this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6G6TENDh8dU

I'm going to alter it a bit to suit me but it looks like a balanced program that makes the short game practice a bit more fun and challenging than just taking a couple of balls to the practice green and knocking it around without real purpose.

I'm not going to do the 6 shot shapes with the full shots as I'm not good enough for that yet. Mainly working on consistent impact at the moment (center hit and square face/down the line path)

timah!
5th May 2018, 10:58 AM
Thanks Jono, I watched and downloaded the structure. I'll work through it slowly with my schedule but I'm keen to give it a go (also minus the 6 shot types)

JoeS
5th May 2018, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the post.Finding time to work to a structured plan can be hard,I look at my stats and work on the one that will give me the greatest benefit.That is usually chipping and putting

Jake peralta
5th May 2018, 04:52 PM
Even a washing basket, a piece of carpet to hit off and in the living room.....amazing how just making contact with a ball helps I 're kon

BUSHY
7th May 2018, 03:17 PM
I've been looking for a structured practice program and came across this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6G6TENDh8dU

I'm going to alter it a bit to suit me but it looks like a balanced program that makes the short game practice a bit more fun and challenging than just taking a couple of balls to the practice green and knocking it around without real purpose.

I'm not going to do the 6 shot shapes with the full shots as I'm not good enough for that yet. Mainly working on consistent impact at the moment (center hit and square face/down the line path)

Always good to have a plan and he definitely has the right idea about structuring the practice. I have a handout somewhere from Richard Woodhouse that focuses on creating a structured environment and setting metrics that can be measured. I'm very time poor at the moment so this might help chipping, pitching and putting on my green at home.

Jono
11th May 2018, 08:24 AM
So I did this for the first time yesterday.

Thought I would get through at least the 25 x 3 footers, 20 x 20 footers and perhaps 20 x 30 footers in a row.

It took me over an hour to get 25 3 footers in a row! 😳😩.

Things I learned:
1) I struggled with left to right putts especially one I had to aim just outside the hole. I was blocking a lot of them right and lipping out the low side.
2) I had to focus on taking dead aim with each putt. It's when I hit careless and took approximate aims that I tended to miss the putt.
3) I found a "releasing stroke" more reliable than a arms only stroke, especially on left to right putts.
4) I could see the line much better with my eyes slightly behind the line of the putt (ala Nicklaus) than directly above.

Once I got 25 in a row, I continued for another 12 putts which I made before calling it a day.

It was a great learning session but I think I might have to alter the number of drills if I'm going to go through all of them each week. 😉.

BUSHY
11th May 2018, 10:49 AM
I did similar last night Jono, played 4 holes and then did the following drills;

Alignment Stick pitches- combined this with a compass drill, did 20 from each point of the compass around the green concentrating on trajectory and landing zone.

Alternating trajectory control- with P, 56 and 60 alternate hitting high/mid/low trajectory pitches from 35m trying to land the ball on a towel. I liked this drill as it really tightened up my impact and I managed to keep 99% of the balls on line.

Bunkers- 7/10 inside flagstick length. I went through this one a few times for about 20 minutes. Toward the end I tried alternating high spinny shots with chunk and runs getting a feel for the sand. Definitely an area that needs more work.

I then moved to the range where I spent about an hour working on impact and trajectory control with my wedges then the 9/7/5 iron’s before finishing off with a few drivers and 3 woods.

Current work commitments mean I wont get that opportunity as often as I like but if I can allow a couple of hours once a week while I’m home I’ll be happy.

Jono
11th May 2018, 11:00 AM
Sounds like a good session Bushy. 👍🏻.

I did some 20 and 30 footers today and needless to say, I need to work on this more.

Main thing I learned from this was that I wasn't hitting the sweet spot enough. I was hitting a lot of my putts slightly thin. It's hard to get the feel of the length of the putt when you're not striking it consistently off the middle.

Thursdays and Fridays are my days off so I'll try to get couple of short game sessions a week. I'll work on some pitching and bunker play next week. 😊

JoeS
1st June 2018, 05:42 PM
So I haven't been doing a structured training,just working nightly on putting and getting to the range when I can.I think I have a crack in my driver as it just sounds funny.Hit it a few times today with what I thought was a good swing and it just didnt go[emoji848]

Jono
5th June 2018, 12:54 PM
So I haven't been doing a structured training,just working nightly on putting and getting to the range when I can.I think I have a crack in my driver as it just sounds funny.Hit it a few times today with what I thought was a good swing and it just didnt go[emoji848]Most likely mate. I've cracked three driver faces since I started playing again a year ago. They don't make them like they used to. 😉

JoeS
5th June 2018, 02:04 PM
Most likely mate. I've cracked three driver faces since I started playing again a year ago. They don't make them like they used to. [emoji6]Yeah I absolutely nutted a drive on Saturday that went a bit over 220m.Given it was down hill a bit and a small tail wind it should have rolled thru the fairway.Time to get a new putter🤣

mrbluu
5th June 2018, 02:26 PM
Yeah I absolutely nutted a drive on Saturday that went a bit over 220m.Given it was down hill a bit and a small tail wind it should have rolled thru the fairway.Time to get a new putter🤣You're finally learning [emoji16][emoji16][emoji106][emoji106]

Jono
5th June 2018, 02:34 PM
Have a close look at the face. If you can't see the crack now, it will show up in the next couple of rounds. First thing you notice is slightly more tinny sound. If it's a recent purchase you might be able to get a replacement from the manufacturer. Unfortunately all fine were bought second hand.

JoeS
5th June 2018, 04:58 PM
Have a close look at the face. If you can't see the crack now, it will show up in the next couple of rounds. First thing you notice is slightly more tinny sound. If it's a recent purchase you might be able to get a replacement from the manufacturer. Unfortunately all fine were bought second hand.Will do.

Went and hit 4iron,9 iron and 51 wedge this arvo.Not sure why but my miss shot seems to be high right and short.Need to film it but I think I am coming over the top too much.When I settle and stay low I seem to get a better strike and trajectory but it feels very unnatural

Aussielongdriver
7th June 2018, 07:36 PM
I'm on my 10th driver in 10 months !!!!
broken 5 Epic Sub Zero's and now 4 Ping G400 LST as well as 3 3woods , all caved in

Most likely mate. I've cracked three driver faces since I started playing again a year ago. They don't make them like they used to. ��

Jono
7th June 2018, 08:09 PM
I'm on my 10th driver in 10 months !!!!broken 5 Epic Sub Zero's and now 4 Ping G400 LST as well as 3 3woods , all caved inMate I'm not surprised with your club head speed. Did Callaway and Ping refund them? Why don't you just play XR16 LD? That has a thicker face, yeah?

3oneday
7th June 2018, 09:19 PM
Cheap way to ho though :lol:

okitoki
7th June 2018, 11:00 PM
How fast do you need to swing to break that many drivers?

3oneday
8th June 2018, 06:29 AM
Steve's a long drive champ, fast and hard, scary to watch.

I still remember playing with him years ago and he hit a 9 iron for his second shot into 13 at Liverpool, a 495 metre par 5.

okitoki
8th June 2018, 11:34 AM
this steve? (sorry... didnt know)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP-yYreErs8

3oneday
8th June 2018, 12:36 PM
Yep.

BUSHY
8th June 2018, 04:46 PM
I'm on my 10th driver in 10 months !!!!
broken 5 Epic Sub Zero's and now 4 Ping G400 LST as well as 3 3woods , all caved in

I’ve got a mate in SA who fancies himself as a bit of a long driver but he rooted his back in Afghanistan so he is dialling it back. He has cracked 2 Cobra F8’s this year and an M3, each time replaced under warranty.

Hits his 4 iron longer than most people hit driver, its amazing to watch. BUT he is a solid 13 marker so he’s all over the show.

Aussielongdriver
12th June 2018, 07:39 PM
Callaway kept replacing them till I gave up and sold them. Ping are trying to get info from the US tour to see if tour players are having issues or playing reinforced heads

Aussielongdriver
12th June 2018, 07:47 PM
That video was a while ago! my current driver head speed varries between 125-130mph , getting old 50 very soon.3 wood 120mph.
Eligible for snr pga tour late August and will be aiming to play in the NSW Snr Open in Oct, started working on my game a bit more with Macus Both. Have previously got my Hcap to +3 so I hope to be competitive .

henno
12th June 2018, 08:19 PM
my current driver head speed varries between 125-130mph

Heck! 130mph is moving. Is your LD swing much - or any - different to your game swing?

The last time my (44.5") driver CH speed was properly measured was in in late 2010 when I was getting refitted for much softer shafts after returning from breaking my shoulder 3 months earlier. Even then I still averaged 117mph for that session though, so I ended up only changing my driver shaft (and then giving up the game for the next half a decade, apparently). I was well into the 120's prior to the shoulder injury but I was still in my 20's and a ball of abs with long arms, so I'd be orders of magnitude less than that now. Having 130mph on the Snr PGA Tour is unbelievable.

Aussielongdriver
12th June 2018, 08:45 PM
can get it out there for a old bastard
In my prime i was 138 mph with a 45 inch driver and high 140s with a 48 inch driver and a PB in competition of 461 yards in 2014.
Retired from longdrive as of last December when Aust beat the Kiwi in a event at Stonecutters Ridge in Sydney

Heck! 130mph is moving. Is your LD swing much - or any - different to your game swing?

The last time my (44.5") driver CH speed was properly measured was in in late 2010 when I was getting refitted for much softer shafts after returning from breaking my shoulder 3 months earlier. Even then I still averaged 117mph for that session though, so I ended up only changing my driver shaft (and then giving up the game for the next half a decade, apparently). I was well into the 120's prior to the shoulder injury but I was still in my 20's and a ball of abs with long arms, so I'd be orders of magnitude less than that now. Having 130mph on the Snr PGA Tour is unbelievable.

JoeS
27th June 2018, 04:25 PM
So I have been trying to get to the range twice a week,only using the same 3 clubs.Taking my driver,7 iron and pw.Trying to repeat the same action over and over,not trying to produce different shots,just slightly straight to a draw.For the most part I am very consistent in that I am producing a repeatable swing,probably in hindsight my go to swing.I can work the ball both ways but haven't brought the fade into practice.So far with unknowingly adding a couple of tweaks I think I have found a couple of meters on my irons as well.My driver seems to be playing the game as well,and I think if I took this swing to the course then I would be confident being aggressive with my shot.

JoeS
19th July 2018, 05:41 PM
So still continuing to work on a single swing thought.Took it on course yesterday for a social 9 and I can now see progress.A little tweak late last week has helped with thinning the ball,and this week I have worked on the fade with solid results.Oncourse yesterday it was pretty windy,so really just trying to play shots that would stay in play.No flyers on the wind,a couple of nice stingers into the teeth and even a high draw holding the wind on 9 to catch the front few feet of the green was nice.I have noticed a change in my distances,probably 3 or 4 meters with irons,the driver seems to be popping off the face with a really nice looking flight,average into the wind yesterday was 207m

Jono
19th July 2018, 07:30 PM
So still continuing to work on a single swing thought.Took it on course yesterday for a social 9 and I can now see progress.A little tweak late last week has helped with thinning the ball,and this week I have worked on the fade with solid results.Oncourse yesterday it was pretty windy,so really just trying to play shots that would stay in play.No flyers on the wind,a couple of nice stingers into the teeth and even a high draw holding the wind on 9 to catch the front few feet of the green was nice.I have noticed a change in my distances,probably 3 or 4 meters with irons,the driver seems to be popping off the face with a really nice looking flight,average into the wind yesterday was 207mNice. What swing thought helped with the thinning?

BayBum
19th July 2018, 08:25 PM
this steve? (sorry... didnt know)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP-yYreErs8 r/Absolute Unit

JoeS
19th July 2018, 11:04 PM
Nice. What swing thought helped with the thinning?Not a swing thought,an action.My hips were turning to early,so just had to slow down my transition.I have spent a lot of time trying to stop the sway in my hips,which was really good for a quick backswing,not good when after control.

JoeS
22nd July 2018, 07:27 PM
Started working on short game today,more so distance control.I want to have a swing for a 50m chip shot as my standard,then work longer and shorter from that base.Today I had a tyre st that range and was able to have better distance control than what I thought I would have,Give it a few more sessions and then I will start varying distances