PDA

View Full Version : Re-Gripping

Bigbad
23rd March 2018, 02:29 PM
Has anyone done their own regripping here? I'm looking at doing it myself, I just can't for the life of me justify paying over $300 for a set of grips to get done. Seems pretty simple, get a vice clamp, then buy the grip kit. The rest is pretty straight forward from the things i've seen.

pt73
23rd March 2018, 02:41 PM
Yes, been doing it for years.

Others may disagree but you should get a cheap air compressor to install them, double-sided tape and solvent is a pain in the a$$.

There's plenty of videos to show you how to do it.

3Puttpete
23rd March 2018, 02:56 PM
Has anyone done their own regripping here? I'm looking at doing it myself, I just can't for the life of me justify paying over $300 for a set of grips to get done. Seems pretty simple, get a vice clamp, then buy the grip kit. The rest is pretty straight forward from the things i've seen.Forget the grip kit. Hairspray and air is all you need.

okitoki
23rd March 2018, 02:56 PM
TBH... (add: for double sided tape regripping) You can do the regripping without all the tools; but it does make it easier.

I you have the rubber shaft grip thingy, but dont have a vise, you can use a cheap quick release F Clamp and a sanding block to do the job.

Ron Burgundy
23rd March 2018, 03:00 PM
It’s a piece of piss. Where are you located? There’ll almost certainly be someone from here nearby who I could show you. I learned by YouTube and the ‘ask a clubmaker’ thread on here.

You’ll need:
Cheap air compressor
Rubber shaft clamp for your vice
Blue painters tape (2inch works well)
Hairspray
Maybe a hook blade for your Stanley knife to cut off old grips that don’t blow off with air

That’s it really. The set up costs are cheaper than paying to get a set done and then you’ll never have to pay again.

mrbluu
23rd March 2018, 03:02 PM
It’s a piece of piss. Where are you located? There’ll almost certainly be someone from here nearby who I could show you. I learned by YouTube and the ‘ask a clubmaker’thread on here. You’ll need:Cheap air compressor Rubber shaft clamp for your vice Blue painters tape (2inch works well)HairsprayMaybe a hook blade for your Stanley knife to cut off old grips that don’t blow off with airThat’s it really. The set up costs are cheaper than paying to get a set done and then you’ll never have to pay again.+1

Good to see u are learning something on here RB [emoji16][emoji16]

Daves
23rd March 2018, 06:09 PM
It’s a piece of piss. Where are you located? There’ll almost certainly be someone from here nearby who I could show you. I learned by YouTube and the ‘ask a clubmaker’ thread on here.

You’ll need:
Cheap air compressor
Rubber shaft clamp for your vice
Blue painters tape (2inch works well)
Hairspray
Maybe a hook blade for your Stanley knife to cut off old grips that don’t blow off with air

That’s it really. The set up costs are cheaper than paying to get a set done and then you’ll never have to pay again.

One thing I would add to Ron's list, a bit of tubing. To put over the grip when blowing them off as a safety measure. They do occasionally explode! A 40cm length of 40mm PVC pipe is ideal, but you can get away with the cardboard tube out of a roll of cling wrap, foil, paper towel etc.

benno_r
23rd March 2018, 06:16 PM
One thing I would add to Ron's list, a bit of tubing. To put over the grip when blowing them off as a safety measure. They do occasionally explode! A 40cm length of 40mm PVC pipe is ideal, but you can get away with the cardboard tube out of a roll of cling wrap, foil, paper towel etc.

That's no fun, my safety measure is an sketchy trigger finger. Always managed to catch the bubble around the size of a small lemon. My eyes are still fine.

Courty
23rd March 2018, 06:47 PM
One thing I would add to Ron's list, a bit of tubing. To put over the grip when blowing them off as a safety measure. They do occasionally explode!

This is the go.

Ron Burgundy
23rd March 2018, 06:58 PM
One thing I would add to Ron's list, a bit of tubing. To put over the grip when blowing them off as a safety measure. They do occasionally explode! A 40cm length of 40mm PVC pipe is ideal, but you can get away with the cardboard tube out of a roll of cling wrap, foil, paper towel etc. True. Knew I’d forget something. Definitely use one of these when removing old grips. Also try squirting some white spirits in the end before blowing them off to deactivate the glue if they’ve used double sided tape previously. Needle and syringe work fine for me. Can get them from a chemist. Just be careful when re-capping the needle. If you don’t want to keep the old grips just cut them off.

Steve57
23rd March 2018, 07:53 PM
That's no fun, my safety measure is an sketchy trigger finger. Always managed to catch the bubble around the size of a small lemon. My eyes are still fine.+1!

Timbo
23rd March 2018, 10:03 PM
I use a 30cm length of lay flat hose for blowouts, it also enables you to twist some of the stubborn grips and save a few.

Bigbad
26th March 2018, 12:03 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, appreciate it all and will definitely start getting together my little kit. Other than the fact it'll be cheaper in the long run it'll give me a nice little project to work on. Was going to get the air compressor, think it'll be a good thing to have regardless. YouTube will be my source for sure plus a few little tips and tricks from on here! Anyone played the Lamkin Z5 grips?

benno_r
26th March 2018, 12:11 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, appreciate it all and will definitely start getting together my little kit. Other than the fact it'll be cheaper in the long run it'll give me a nice little project to work on. Was going to get the air compressor, think it'll be a good thing to have regardless. YouTube will be my source for sure plus a few little tips and tricks from on here! Anyone played the Lamkin Z5 grips?

I have a set with z5's. Pretty good grips not great in the wet, but comfy and grippy in the dry.

Bigbad
26th March 2018, 12:19 PM
Interesting, I am probably looking for something that helps with sweaty hands as i tend to sweat a little bit. Oly because it's so humid at the moment, winter golf isn't a problem.

dowdsy
26th March 2018, 07:45 PM
I picked up golf prides tour velvet for 11 bucks each from golf clearance outlet, good in the dry and rain, regripped all my irons yesterday its easy.

Bigbad
26th March 2018, 08:45 PM
I picked up golf prides tour velvet for 11 bucks each from golf clearance outlet, good in the dry and rain, regripped all my irons yesterday its easy.

Yeah I've currently got the tour velvet golf prides on my clubs. They've been serviceable but i think i'll look for something in the multi-compound again. I like the cord feel so a mix will work best I think.

Captain Nemo
27th March 2018, 09:38 AM
Interesting, I am probably looking for something that helps with sweaty hands as i tend to sweat a little bit. Oly because it's so humid at the moment, winter golf isn't a problem. Pure wraps...

pt73
29th March 2018, 02:14 PM
Or Gripmaster

dowdsy
30th March 2018, 10:45 AM
Yeah I've currently got the tour velvet golf prides on my clubs. They've been serviceable but i think i'll look for something in the multi-compound again. I like the cord feel so a mix will work best I think.I also like the multi-compound for feel but find the cord part rips up the glove a bit quick and also the cord part wears out quicker than the bottom part. I read somewhere that you can sand the cord bit to bring back to life.

Ferrins
30th March 2018, 10:55 AM
Grips yes, cricket balls no no.

dowdsy
30th March 2018, 02:13 PM
HAHA, That's funny, maybe I should rough up one side of my golf ball it might draw for me.
Grips yes, cricket balls no no.

Dcanto
30th March 2018, 10:05 PM
HAHA, That's funny, maybe I should rough up one side of my golf ball it might draw for me. If I did that to my ball I'd probably end up with reverse swing.

bergsey
31st March 2018, 12:04 PM

To be honest i’d Pick up one of the grip kits off eBay that have the brampton grip kit with them. Grips, vice clamp, double sided tape and activator. Unless you want to continually take the grips off, takes 5mins to do. The activator spray doesn’t smell and makes little mess.

I’ve tried the compressor numerous times and still get some slippage on some grips post install probably 10% of the time. With the double sided tape never happpens..... the only ones that have been solid for me with air method are PURE grips as they are designed to install that way and must have extra rubber or something

Bigbad
3rd April 2018, 10:42 AM
To be honest i’d Pick up one of the grip kits off eBay that have the brampton grip kit with them. Grips, vice clamp, double sided tape and activator. Unless you want to continually take the grips off, takes 5mins to do. The activator spray doesn’t smell and makes little mess.

I’ve tried the compressor numerous times and still get some slippage on some grips post install probably 10% of the time. With the double sided tape never happpens..... the only ones that have been solid for me with air method are PURE grips as they are designed to install that way and must have extra rubber or something

Yeah i think i'll get one of the applicator kits, then just mount a vice on a bench at home. I'd rather have a good setup so I can do it all properly and they seem pretty well priced as well.

Josh_Atterbury
7th April 2018, 02:01 PM

Tried hairspray as a lubricant when using the compressor to install grips? The hairspray acts like an adhesive. I use that method and haven't come across any slippage yet (3 sets of grips in total).

Currently use the Lamkin z5 midsize. I like them but prefer the golfpride multi compounds. The golfprides seem to have slightly more cord and feel like they have more grip.