PDA

View Full Version : Trivia Quiz

Jono
16th July 2006, 09:18 AM
Have a look at this swing clip and please answer the following questions.

Swing Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViifbjrPdPg)

Question 1)
Who is it? (Hint: if you google his name, you'll end up with a famous British spy)

Question 2)
What is he famous for? (Hint: Irish beer)

Question 3)
He invented a training aid that is still sold today. What is it? (Hint: Tin Cup)

First Ozgolfer to answer all three questions correctly will get a free drink of his/her choice at the Ozgolf Champs. 8)

Courty
16th July 2006, 09:39 AM
Is it Blakey? ;)

Jono
17th July 2006, 09:37 AM
Come on guys ... no one wants a free beer? :)

OK, here are some clues to the clues ...

Famous British spy = Austin Powers (Played by Mike Myers)

Irish beer = Guinness

Tin Cup = as in the movie ... His training aid was featured in the movie.

just
17th July 2006, 10:21 AM
Jono

1.Mike Austin
2.He holds the Guiness Book of Records record for the longest drive, on level ground, in a PGA tournament. 515 yards at the age of 64. It was wind-aided.
3. The Flammer

Justin

Jono
17th July 2006, 11:05 AM
Jono

1.Mike Austin
2.He holds the Guiness Book of Records record for the longest drive, on level ground, in a PGA tournament. 515 yards at the age of 64. It was wind-aided.
3. The Flammer

Justin

Well done, Justin. Free beer for you at the Ozgolf Champs. 8)

Mike Austin was quite a character. Like Moe Norman, who gained recognition well past his prime, Mike Austin and his swing mechanics is now getting some interest, especially on the net. 515 yards with a persimmon wood at the age of 64. Yes, it was aided by a 20 mph wind ... Still a magnificent achievement.

Ducky
17th July 2006, 07:29 PM
That's an urban legend, he didn't hit the ball that far.

AndyP
17th July 2006, 07:52 PM
I knew the answers, I just didn't want to ruin it for everyone else.

Jarro
17th July 2006, 07:55 PM
next set of questions please .............

Jono
17th July 2006, 09:58 PM

You sure about that? The Guinness people seem pretty happy that it happened ...

It was wind aided and the fairways were dry. Mike's playing partner drove it around 350 yards on the same hole, and Mike was known as a very long hitter. Agreed that there were no cameras tracking his ball, but all his playing partners identified his ball and were happy that it was his.

AndyP
17th July 2006, 10:34 PM
Was he the last group through on the day?
And did he pick up any NTPs?

Ducky
17th July 2006, 10:43 PM
You sure about that? The Guinness people seem pretty happy that it happened...
Like you said yourself, there were no officials there to monitor it. The reality is that he could very well have identified another players ball.

Honestly, a 64 year old man finds it difficult to restrain himself from urinating in his pants, let alone trying to drive a golf ball 200+ yards with a wooden driver.

Jarro
18th July 2006, 05:54 AM
Duckman, are you really trying to piss us old farts off or what :-s

Andrew
18th July 2006, 06:54 AM

I heard it was only 300 yards long, but then he started talking on a golf forum & over time, after responding to 16 different thread entitled 'How Far Do You Hit The Ball', it grew to become 515 yards.:D

He can also hit a 3 wood 380 yards uphill into a breeze, but that's another story.;)

AndyP
18th July 2006, 06:59 AM
We saw Vegas hit it 525 yards with a slight breeze uphill with a 2 iron on the last hole of the Champs two years ago. I can verify this for the people at Guinness, if needed.

Jono
18th July 2006, 07:33 AM
Geez ... no respect, I tell ya. No respect at all ... ](*,) :lol:

Duckman, Austin is reported to have AVERAGED 312 yards in competitions between the ages of 75 and 79. Is it that impossible for him to have achieved the feat if the hole was playing downwind and the fairway was hard? He "only" outdrove his playing partners on that hole by 150 yards. (ie. even his average incontinent senior playing partner got it out there 350 yards).

connico
18th July 2006, 10:00 AM
plausiable!! :P

Choppa
18th July 2006, 10:12 AM
We saw Vegas hit it 525 yards with a slight breeze uphill with a 2 iron on the last hole of the Champs two years ago. I can verify this for the people at Guinness, if needed.

Yeah I remember that well. Although if I recall correctly it was with a 3 wood.
He holed it too for a bogey I think it was, after 4 air swings and a top.:shock:

markTHEblake
18th July 2006, 11:51 AM
Wasnt that drive on a Par 4 anyway and he was miles through the green? if thats right, it's pretty hard to turn that from 315yds to a 515yd urban legend.