PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird & Firefox

marcel
16th July 2006, 01:28 AM
Dear computer boffins,

I usually do most browsing/emailing from work but am about to do more from home. Having previously used IE and Outlook I'd like to consider alternatives. Does anyone have any experience, good, bad or indifferent, with the above products.
I'm using Windows XP and email from optusnet if that makes any difference.

Replies in plain language for my non-tech brain would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Ducky
16th July 2006, 04:05 AM
You can download Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird for yourself and try it out. If you don't like it, you can simply uninstall it and it won't affect Internet Explorer/Outlook Express.

The main attraction to using Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird is that the two programs are generally exploited to a lesser extent than Internet Explorer/Outlook Express, it has more features (such as tabbed browsing), and is constantly updated based on community feedback.

Of course, it does have disadvantages (such as incorrectly displayed and/or functioning websites), but that is a fault of the website developers, not the program itself.

AndyP
16th July 2006, 07:16 AM
marcel, I love Firefox. The tabbed browsing (don't have to open a new window everytime) is handy, and there are lots of useful extensions that can be installed.

I don't use Thunderbird because I prefer web-based email, but I'm sure it's good too.

goughy
16th July 2006, 07:30 AM
Rob and I both use firefox for browsing on our computers. She uses outlook and I have thunderbird on my computer. It's ok, but I don't email much, and probably only check my email once a week on my 'puter, as it also downloads to hers and I usually see it there first.

It does have a learning junk filter tho.

Now you need zone alarm for a firewall, and avast for virus protection. Both free as well.

jaster
16th July 2006, 01:29 PM
IMO you have to use firefox over IE, it's not even a question. Tabbed browsing, more security etc etc....but thunderbird is user preference. I prefer OE as it is quite simple but have used thunderbird at times & it is good..I just don't email enough to warrent using it.

Andrew
16th July 2006, 01:55 PM
I thought Thunderbird & Firefox was a 70's cop show about 2 non conformist detectives who play by their own rules. Of course, their informant is a street pimp.

AndyP, who are you talking to.

Moe Norman
16th July 2006, 01:59 PM
the latest ie is probably the best browser out there, but until Microsoft just accept that tabbed browsing is a good idea and just because they were beaten to it, doesn't mean they can't feature it - I'll continue to use Firefox.

McCoy
16th July 2006, 10:53 PM
Firefox and Thunderbird user here. Big fan of Firefox, love the plugins like No Script, Adblock and ForecastFox.

markTHEblake
17th July 2006, 12:27 AM
Replies in plain language for my non-tech brain would be most appreciated.

If you have to ask you dont need it :-D Stick to what you know.

AndyP
17th July 2006, 08:43 AM
AndyP, who are you talking to.
Oops. I started with the right letter.

marcel
17th July 2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the replies, think I'll give them both a go.

If you have to ask you dont need it :-D Stick to what you know.

mtb,
don't really know anything proficiently, besides it may confuse the wife and that can be fun.

AndyP
17th July 2006, 11:25 AM
besides it may confuse the wife and that can be fun.
Being a woman, it probably wouldn't be that hard....

marcel
17th July 2006, 11:31 AM
Being a woman, it probably wouldn't be that hard....

I've been known to overachieve in the confusion stakes myself.......

P.S. Is there a difference between the 'English' download and the 'British' one?

connico
17th July 2006, 11:41 AM
Avant is pretty good, its a dress for IE, but it has all the fun features everyone loves including a blocker and tabbing. It also is more secure than IE and will read all pages as IE will. I use both firefox and Avant, but i prefer avant.

Thunderbird is the go as well, as it does not lag as much as outlook express and outlook (both system are heavily depended on systems resources)

Walter Ego
17th July 2006, 01:44 PM
I use both firefox and Avant, but i prefer avant.

Me too, and here I was thinking that I was the only one using Avant.

I've got Firefox and Avant set up so they are identical and find I use Avant 95% of the time, does everything I need.

connico
17th July 2006, 02:20 PM
The best thing about avant is that when close the browser it saves your previously opened tabs and loads them up again... it will also ask you if you want to load every tab or just a few.... and yes you can turn this off if you dont want it.

clikchic
17th July 2006, 04:04 PM
I love firefox but prefer outlook to thunderbird, actually I prefer OE to thunderbird as well. I use outlook because I find the schedulling features really handy amongst other things. My only beef with firefox is lately certain images won't show, some avatars and the header banners here and at my own website.. I have fixed it once before but can't remember how I did it and can't work out how to do it this time.. very annoying! And AndyP WATCH your mouth... this WOMAN is much more puta savy than that male member of this household! (scary thought! LOL)

goughy
17th July 2006, 08:37 PM
And I was doing programming units at uni once. There wasa day when cliky had to ask me for help. Nowdays I ask her when I want to print something.

Grunt
2nd August 2006, 06:37 PM
Ok just gone to Firefox for browsing, which add-ons are essential?

jaster
2nd August 2006, 06:43 PM
I don't use any, just the TAB browsing alone....I have 20 tabs open at once as my home pages and read them one by one as needed. Tab browsing owns IMO!

AndyP
2nd August 2006, 08:00 PM
Ok just gone to Firefox for browsing, which add-ons are essential?
I have Mouse Gestures, which I only use a couple of features of, and FireFTP.

McCoy
2nd August 2006, 08:59 PM
I've got No Script, FasterFox, Adblock, Adblock Filter Set Updater, Forecast Fox, Foxy Tunes and Flash Got. Few others as well but they're the useful ones.

Grunt
16th June 2008, 09:04 PM
Just upgraded to the beta version of Firefox 3. Very good :smt038, Think the normal version is out later this week.

aussiemuggolfer
17th June 2008, 02:22 PM
I use Firefox and its great, alot better than IE. Another to try is Opera, just as good as firefox IMHO. They both run rings around IE !!!!!!