PDA

View Full Version : I think I have the yips !!!!!!

3oneday
15th July 2006, 04:54 PM
Last couple of rounds I have putted horrendously, 37 and 38 putts...

Have holed my fair share as well, but something that has crept in over the past two rounds is this....

I will have a 1 or 2 footer, and as I am about to hit the ball there is this unplanned movement or jerk in the wrists and I push it wide of the hole (or it lips out).

It generally leaves me speechless, I did it twice on the front nine today then putted quite well on the back until the 16th, when it happened again. This time from a foot !!!!

Will have to spend a few hours on the carpet this week just concentrating on taking the wrists out, just thought I'd share...

Pete

Jono
15th July 2006, 05:07 PM
Nah ... don't worry about practising ... just natural signs of aging. Accept it. :twisted:

perci
15th July 2006, 05:12 PM
Hey Pete I tend to have the same problem on occasions,the other day I watched the lelf handed trainee at Nudgee pick up a right handed putter and stroke it purely so i tried out a lefty and found i putted reasonably well especially the short ones,it seems to smooth out my stroke a bit so i brought one as a training aid,might a try.

Grunt
15th July 2006, 05:12 PM
you could get a 3 ball belly putter, I have heard they get your putting game back up to speed.

Jarro
15th July 2006, 05:22 PM
a new putter will help you for sure ;)

Jono
15th July 2006, 05:25 PM
you could get a 3 ball belly putter, I have heard they get your putting game back up to speed.

There is only one SHREK! 8)

:lol:

perci
15th July 2006, 05:27 PM
Dibs on the Circa.

3oneday
15th July 2006, 05:34 PM
Dibs on the Circa.won't happen.....

so I have the worst putter on ozgolf telling me the former worst putter is now the best putter because he beat the now worst putter ???? :p

hehe

Grunt
15th July 2006, 05:37 PM
I never said that anyone was the best or worst putter, I am now the
'worst putter in extremely wet conditions and not caring which way it goes'

Pinglauncher
15th July 2006, 05:42 PM
Pete, you are possibly the best putter I have seen.

Maybe you are out of your usual routine or more than likely you are thinking about it too much.

Don't go getting mechanical.

goughy
15th July 2006, 05:43 PM
Chim Chimney, Chim Chimney, Yip Yip Yippee!!!!!!

AndyP
15th July 2006, 05:50 PM
Pete, stop thinking about the one footers you miss, and start thinking about the good putts that you nail.

perci
15th July 2006, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=3oneday]won't happen.....

Just look at your Avitar mate you said that wouldn't happen either.

Jono
15th July 2006, 06:25 PM
I never said that anyone was the best or worst putter, I am now the
'worst putter in extremely wet conditions and not caring which way it goes'

Excuses ... yawn ...

:lol:

Grunt
15th July 2006, 06:28 PM
no excuses, I putted badly in this. One thing is I am glad it is over and done with.

Jono
15th July 2006, 06:30 PM
Pete, you are possibly the best putter I have seen.

Hey settle ... let's not go overboard ... ;) :lol:

Ducky
15th July 2006, 06:43 PM
I have the same problem on occasion, and it's because I try to steer the ball towards the hole instead of trusting the stroke.

Do you have a straight back and straight through or pendulum stroke?

If you have the former of the two, place a shaft down on the green when practicing to try and recreate the feel of the putter face staying square.

Fishman Dan
15th July 2006, 07:34 PM
Is it too late to play that matchplay game?

Jarro
15th July 2006, 09:07 PM
[quote=3oneday]won't happen.....

Just look at your Avitar mate you said that wouldn't happen either.

:smt038 :smt023 :smt046 :smt044

markTHEblake
15th July 2006, 10:49 PM
I will have a 1 or 2 footer, and as I am about to hit the ball there is this unplanned movement or jerk in the wrists and I push it wide of the hole (or it lips out).

i have been putting something shocking like this for almost a year. got a mate to check me out the other day and he said my putter face was closed.

closed! but i am missing my putts right? no wonder i cant putt.

suggest you get someone to check you out, could be something as stupid as that. I dont mean any of these dribblers either, find someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

Mind you - fat lot of good its done me. since correcting this alignment problem and changing to crosshand (he made me) i have gotten worse.

AndyP
16th July 2006, 07:20 AM
got a mate to check me out the other day Did you return the favour?

Fishman Dan
16th July 2006, 06:04 PM
Pete - when i felt yippy i bought a TearDrop roll-face TD31.. and that sorted me out. Hey - what a coincidence... it's for sale!

In all honesty (and i did buy it at the time), I took my putting back to square 1. Simple putter and learned to trust my stroke again. Keep the head down until the ball is well and truly gone. Concentrate on putting the line - short backswing and hit through.

Or borrow one of Jono's 38 training aids ;)

Grunt
16th July 2006, 06:07 PM
Pete, you could try the 2nd biggest putter in the world and get a 3 ball (I say 2nd biggest because someone always has a bigger one)

Matt 3 Jab
16th July 2006, 06:37 PM
This is the reason i gave up golf, stupid 1 footers, people have seen me do it, same jerk of the wrists, the best thing for me was to practice putting 1 handed, smoothed things out a bit.

Jono
16th July 2006, 07:25 PM
Pete, I notice that you are developing a bit of a gut with age ... USE IT! :twisted: Get a belly putter and stick that butt end of the club in the soft cushion of your abdominal adipose tissue. Belly fat has the perfect consistency to stabilize the butt end of the putter so you can just stroke the putterhead like a pendulum. So easy ... it's almost like cheating ... 8)

Grunt
16th July 2006, 07:31 PM
So are you saying you cheated in the Putting comp?

HOLD ALL BETS!!!

Jarro
16th July 2006, 07:31 PM
what the hell are you doing using a belly putter then Jono ???

3oneday
16th July 2006, 07:35 PM
Belly fat has the perfect consistency to stabilize the butt end of the putter so you can just stroke the putterhead like a pendulum.I'm sure if that was the case, more than half the ozgolfers would be using one....

Anyway, I'd like to thank MTB for his input....

Iain
16th July 2006, 07:43 PM
So are you saying you cheated in the Putting comp?

HOLD ALL BETS!!!

Nice Try, you're still the new title holder..... :-P:-P:-P:-P

jimandr
16th July 2006, 11:09 PM
I can almost guarantee your head is moving when you are striking the ball, and your eyes are probably looking at the hole, not the ball. Easy to diagnose, hard to fix.

I've never struggled with the 1 to 2 footers, but 3 to 4 footers have been a real nightmare at various times. But speed is a bigger problem for me than direction.

When I've totally lost confidence I usually make a change, just so I am concentrating on hand position, or stance, or the length of backswing, and not on the hole itself. Works for a while, then I have a really bad round, and it is back to the drawing board.

3oneday
4th December 2006, 02:03 PM
Well, bit of an update since JULY !!! FFS has it been that long :shock:

Handicap has just hit 7 !!! Highest since I was 15, generally shattered during every round as soon as those 2 or 3 footers miss the hole !! My whole game has fallen to shite !!!!

The reason for the update was a small amount of light at the end of the tunnel on Saturday, I shot 10 over in a medal highlighted by 29 putts... no yips, no 3 putts !!!!!!!

Hopefully onto a long term solution, now using a claw type grip where I grip the putter with the top hand as normal and only the thumb and forefinger of the bottom hand. I also employ a Heavy Putter http://www.heavyputter.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=30 and whilst it may take some time to get the feel with the longer putts, I have regained my confidence already with the shorter putts.

I have the head weight set at 500 grams and it is simply beautifully balanced, fingers crossed some of the longer ones start to roll in next week ;)

:)

Speirsy11
4th December 2006, 02:15 PM
now using a claw type grip where I grip the putter with the top hand as normal and only the thumb and forefinger of the bottom hand. I also employ a Heavy Putter
:)

These have both been life savers for my puting in the last 6 months. I went to the claw and added 50g of weight to my putter and have seen my 3 putts virtually disappear, mostly due to being able to stroke instead of hit the 4-8 footers. It's also helped my lag putting, but that was never really the problem the way 4-8 footers were.........

Fishman Dan
4th December 2006, 02:19 PM
Jono? Have you cracked 3oneday's account?

FFS - get rid of the putter experimentation. Get something like a 2ball or an ANSER, and learn to trust your putting stroke!

Either that or i think i know where you can find a side-saddle putter.

Courty
4th December 2006, 02:21 PM
Hopefully onto a long term solution, now using a claw type grip where I grip the putter with the top hand as normal and only the thumb and forefinger of the bottom hand. I also employ a Heavy Putter http://www.heavyputter.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=30 and whilst it may take some time to get the feel with the longer putts, I have regained my confidence already with the shorter putts.

Which model you you have, Pete? The Matte 'B' series remind me of a stealth fighter. They look nice though. I have recently gone from an Odyssey to a Yes! Tiffany. The heavier head seems to have helped quite a bit (althought at 350g it's nothing like 500 :shock:).

Fishman Dan
4th December 2006, 02:35 PM
Hey Pete - you want to play that matchplay game now?

3oneday
4th December 2006, 03:04 PM
At what stage does the name change to 8oneday ?:lol: hopefully long before 10oneday ;)

Fishy, you missed the boat mate, I'm ready for you now. :p

3oneday
4th December 2006, 03:13 PM
Which model you you have, Pete? I've got B1's putter ;), the B1 Matte. Centre shafted and quite... heavy :)

Fishman Dan
4th December 2006, 03:19 PM
:lol: hopefully long before 10oneday ;)

Fishy, you missed the boat mate, I'm ready for you now. :p

MSN doesn't come with a copyright...

If you need to bring a fade into your game give me a ring. Could be the best thing you've done in a long time (other than ditch Fox Hills).

3oneday
4th December 2006, 04:40 PM
If you need to bring a fade into your game give me a ring. if only you weren't married ;)

dc68
4th December 2006, 04:55 PM
Holy snapping duckshit that friggin thing weighs nearly a f*cking kilo

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jono
4th December 2006, 06:59 PM
Pete,

If the claw grip fails, try the extra short putter. You know where you can get one. 8)

Ducky
4th December 2006, 07:20 PM
Oh well, the Scotty Cameron is on the way out. So how much for the A1-M?

3oneday
4th December 2006, 07:21 PM
Oh well, the Scotty Cameron is on the way out. So how much for the A1-M?about $170USD.

3oneday
31st October 2016, 12:24 PM
Can't believe I actually found this thread.

Played off 9 on Saturday, have done for the past month or so. I'm actually at the point where I was feeling embarrassed to play, I'm playing that badly.

Played golf with my mum and dad a few weeks ago and mid round I started putting with a wedge, 3 putted the last with a hybrid, handed my putter to my brother and said keep it.

I have also spent the past month experimenting with my swing, because I feel it has been shit for a couple of years too, and last week I started putting with a normal grip (left hand low, claw free).

On Saturday I made triple on the second, turning 4 over with a scrambled bogey on 9. Bogeyed 10 and 12 and sunk a 30 footer on 15 for a birdie. 13 pars, a birdie and 5 over.

On the last I had a 30 footer for birdie, rolled it 18 inches past the hole. I said to my playing partner I'll mark, he said just knock it in. I said, out loud, that's easy for you to say :lol:.

But I made the putt, 27 for the day.

It's still a terrible feeling to think you're going to miss every putt inside 2 feet, but I'll stick it out this time for good. I guess if they miss, they miss 8)

3Puttpete
31st October 2016, 12:51 PM
Well I'm confused

Moe Norman
31st October 2016, 12:53 PM
nothing worse than standing over a 2 foot putt eaarly in a round and being nervous.

It's natural to be nervous over a 2 footer on 18 to win the day, but I dread those times when you miss the hole on a straight uphill 2 footer on the first.... I've been there!

3oneday
31st October 2016, 02:20 PM
Well I'm confusedPity.

Steve57
31st October 2016, 02:30 PM
Well I'm confused
Isn't that normal?:lol:

3Puttpete
31st October 2016, 03:23 PM
Pity.

I know. It's like posts saying "I didn't throw a club" in the club throwing thread. But longer.

Isn't that normal?:lol:

Isn't what normal?

daMANiack
26th May 2019, 01:50 AM
HI,

If you feel yippy with putting, try this, worked for me a a couple others friends I showed:

Look at the ball and hole from behind and work out the line
Setup to the ball, feel weight/pressure in the soles of your feet, you might need to flex your knees a little more to get this feeling
Take a couple looks at the hole with eyes coming back to the ball
On your last look at the hole, as the eyes are coming back to the ball but not over the ball, commence your putting stroke
Feel like the movement of your eyes back to the ball starts your putting stroke

The yippy feeling generally occurs when your eyes are looking at the ball for a second or more, you're then looking for something to start the putting stroke.

I started getting THE FULL SWING YIPS with EVERY CLUB IN THE BAG about 6 years ago, it didn't matter which club or type of shot, I'm pretty well cured and got my GA handicap down from 5-7 to 2-5 using various techniques.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

nothing worse than standing over a 2 foot putt eaarly in a round and being nervous.

It's natural to be nervous over a 2 footer on 18 to win the day, but I dread those times when you miss the hole on a straight uphill 2 footer on the first.... I've been there!

3oneday
26th May 2019, 08:45 AM
Nice, thanks. ;)

Just bought a putting mirror, realised that when I aligned my eyes they were well behind the ball, feels weird having my head over the ball.

Sunk 25 3 footers in a row and went home.

topping
26th May 2019, 12:48 PM
The thing that worked for me is to focus on a spot two or three inches ahead of the ball and concentrate on watching the putt roll over it. Stops me lifting my head, moving, watching the putter on the takeaway etc and gives me something positive to focus on. It works.

Matt 3 Jab
26th May 2019, 12:49 PM
You never get rid of the yips, you only manage them.......

3oneday
26th May 2019, 05:26 PM
True, left a 2 foot birdie putt short today. Putter like an idiot first 11 holes and was 3 down. Managed to lose on the last once I returned to how I was putting before having a lesson last week.

Putting is a week to week thing still.

daMANiack
27th May 2019, 09:12 AM
Hi,

Totally agree with your statement.

I've sufferred from the FULL SWING YIPS, it's when you can't take the club away in a controlled way, my legs and body would move up/down violently with the club bouncing along the ground, nasty.

It's takes conviction to control the yips, I did it with visualisation and a counting routine with every club.

It's very much under control now, thank god, if it wasn't, I wouldn't be playing golf now due to embarrassment and anxiety.

BTW, due to my repeatable and rock solid setup and routine, my h'cap has dropped from 5 to 8 down to 2 to 5, :) chappy.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

thecollective
27th May 2019, 08:54 PM

Agree with this; just watching the Seniors PGA this morning, its very comforting to know that the problem is very widespread amongst the retired pros.

Jasper Parnevik was the worst I saw, struggles to even get the putting stroke started on the short ones

LeftyHoges
31st May 2019, 03:50 PM
Ooh, I'm home!

Hard_Pan
19th August 2019, 10:04 PM
I struggle with chipping yips and what's been helping me lately is chipping toe down. A lot easier to avoid a duff and impossible to blade chipping this way.

Ferrins
20th August 2019, 07:57 AM
Get a putting mirror and practice with a clowns nose and wig on.

Ferrins
19th October 2020, 07:02 PM
Loving the freeze!

3oneday
20th October 2020, 08:06 PM
I just returned from yipsville, worse than it ever was. 14 years ago I thought 37 putts was bad, I eclipsed 40 a few times in September!

A new putter helped this time, better than the past 75 of them :lol:

thecollective
23rd October 2020, 04:54 PM
3od, switch to a left handed putter for a bit. It feels weird at first but you get used to it after a while. You can always switch back to rh once you get your confidence back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3Puttpete
23rd October 2020, 05:04 PM
Being the worst right-hander in the world at anything sounds bad until you think of the alternative.

3od don’t ever voluntarily do anything left-handed. Left-handedness is both a physical and psychological deformity and should be avoided at all costs.

My love.

LeftyHoges
23rd October 2020, 05:08 PM
Being the worst right-hander in the world at anything sounds bad until you think of the alternative.

3od don’t ever voluntarily do anything left-handed. Left-handedness is both a physical and psychological deformity and should be avoided at all costs.

My love.Hey...!!!

I.......

But......

You.....

Yeah, I got nothing.

My love.

benno_r
23rd October 2020, 05:11 PM

My love.

If only they didn't close down those hessian sack factories, our rivers would be clogged...

3oneday
23rd October 2020, 08:21 PM
I was close to trying left handed, but stuck with righty.

More points than putts is my new mantra :)

3Puttpete
23rd October 2020, 09:21 PM
If only they didn't close down those hessian sack factories, our rivers would be clogged...

Bloody environmentalists

thecollective
24th October 2020, 10:28 AM
Im sorry but the only real thing that nips it in the butt is putting the other way. Sometimes you gotta just swallow the ego and break the correlation patterns in your brain

Im yet to miss a short putt right handed, I miss plenty putting my normal left hand. Still getting used to the lag putts but the short ones are easy holeouts. I don't plan for it to be a permanent move but I have tried everything and this is the only thing that really works

Bear in mind I play tennis right handed and played hockey for years.

3oneday
24th October 2020, 04:14 PM
Im sorry but the only real thing that nips it in the butt is putting the other way.

You best write a book of your exploits, given its foolproof you’ll make millions :lol:

thecollective
24th October 2020, 05:55 PM
You best write a book of your exploits, given its foolproof you’ll make millions :lol:

Just trying to help, do what ever the f*** you like

3oneday
24th October 2020, 07:28 PM
Just trying to help, do what ever the f*** you like

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThanks, I’ve taken your unparalleled knowledge onboard and will do whatever the **** I like.

Another that needs to harden the funk up.

jimandr
13th January 2021, 06:25 PM
What Toxic described in his Yips thread wasn't really 'the yips', it was just bad putting. Similar, and the cause (and solution) might be similar, but what I'm about to describe is different.

I'm bumping this thread because I played with a guy today who had them, and he was in full pain.

This guy had a putting stroke with a big loop in it (Furyk putting stroke!), which was OK on putts of any length, but he totally went to water from 4 feet in. Not only did he sort of flick his putter at the ball rather than stroke it, he did so while lifting his head and shoulders. He couldn't keep still. It was painful to watch, and frankly I didn't know what to do or say.

I'm posting this because I wasn't sure what to do. I know you can't provide advice, and I'm sure he has received plenty. But what is the etiquette? Do you say nothing? Be sympathetic? Try to help anyway?

3Puttpete
13th January 2021, 07:12 PM
What Toxic described in his Yips thread wasn't really 'the yips', it was just bad putting. Similar, and the cause (and solution) might be similar, but what I'm about to describe is different.

I'm bumping this thread because I played with a guy today who had them, and he was in full pain.

This guy had a putting stroke with a big loop in it (Furyk putting stroke!), which was OK on putts of any length, but he totally went to water from 4 feet in. Not only did he sort of flick his putter at the ball rather than stroke it, he did so while lifting his head and shoulders. He couldn't keep still. It was painful to watch, and frankly I didn't know what to do or say.

I'm posting this because I wasn't sure what to do. I know you can't provide advice, and I'm sure he has received plenty. But what is the etiquette? Do you say nothing? Be sympathetic? Try to help anyway?

It’s similar to the shanks. Laugh out loud at the first one, laugh quietly at the second then shut up and feel sorry.

Matt 3 Jab
13th January 2021, 07:25 PM
As someone who suffers them, I feel best when no one says a thing. I know I missed it, they know I missed it, and no amount of words changes the head noises of feeling like you can't make a 10cm.putt.

Sometimes having them earlier in a round is better than late, as your score already sucks and you know there isn't much chance of having a decent one.

Golf sucks

thecollective
13th January 2021, 07:33 PM
As someone who suffers them, I feel best when no one says a thing. I know I missed it, they know I missed it, and no amount of words changes the head noises of feeling like you can't make a 10cm.putt.

Sometimes having them earlier in a round is better than late, as your score already sucks and you know there isn't much chance of having a decent one.

Golf sucks

Silence is the best thing. Nothing worse when your playing partners keep reacting and talking about it.

Matt 3 Jab
13th January 2021, 07:38 PM
Silence is the best thing. Nothing worse when your playing partners keep reacting and talking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOr the classic

"Have your tried............"

Yes, I've tried almost everything not to feel like a useless piece of crap golfer who can't make a putt because he flinches on contact.

thecollective
13th January 2021, 07:56 PM
Or the classic

"Have your tried............"

Yes, I've tried almost everything not to feel like a useless piece of crap golfer who can't make a putt because he flinches on contact.

So correct, my right hand putting is coming along, at least I know that I will not flinch at impact

sms316
15th January 2021, 03:16 PM
Does laughing help?

Yossarian
15th January 2021, 04:38 PM
If you think you have the yips you have the yips. Embrace positive energies and remember to use power accumulator number 46 (the second metatarsal of the little toe) when taking the putter out of your bag and on the first third of the backstroke.

LeftyHoges
15th January 2021, 04:55 PM
If you think you have the yips you have the yips. Embrace positive energies and remember to use power accumulator number 46 (the second metatarsal of the little toe) when taking the putter out of your bag and on the first third of the backstroke.Second metatarsal of which foot?

Webster
15th January 2021, 04:58 PM
Does laughing help?

Yips are not funny. Shanks are funny.

Yossarian
15th January 2021, 06:48 PM
Second metatarsal of which foot? Your non dominant foot presuming it is the same as your dominant hand.

LeftyHoges
15th January 2021, 06:54 PM
Your non dominant foot presuming it is the same as your dominant hand.I know you tried to make that seemingly impossible, but that actually fits me perfectly.

BUSHY
16th January 2021, 11:44 PM
Wrong thread

Yossarian
17th January 2021, 12:48 AM
I know you tried to make that seemingly impossible, but that actually fits me perfectly. Freak. This only applies when the moon is in retrograde. Otherwise you need to consult the tv week horoscope.

LeftyHoges
18th January 2021, 10:00 PM
Freak. This only applies when the moon is in retrograde. Otherwise you need to consult the tv week horoscope.So that's where I've been going wrong.

I was always a Jonathan Cainer man.