PDA

View Full Version : rolling the wrists

JoeS
28th February 2018, 03:58 PM
quick question for those that have a better understanding of the swing when using the shorter irons.I was having a bit of a hit today on a practice facility for my short game,and one of the other users mentioned that I tend to leave my wrists flat,or open when I am chipping and pushed my arms thru the ball.I was using my 56 at about 25 metres.Certainly helped with face contact,and dispersion was a bit better.

Anyway the question.Would leaving the wrists flat and pushing my arms thru the shot cause me to be pushing the ball high and short on my shorter irons,say from PW to 60degree?

Grumpy8
28th February 2018, 05:37 PM
quick question for those that have a better understanding of the swing when using the shorter irons.I was having a bit of a hit today on a practice facility for my short game,and one of the other users mentioned that I tend to leave my wrists flat,or open when I am chipping and pushed my arms thru the ball.I was using my 56 at about 25 metres.Certainly helped with face contact,and dispersion was a bit better.Anyway the question.Would leaving the wrists flat and pushing my arms thru the shot cause me to be pushing the ball high and short on my shorter irons,say from PW to 60degree? Turning your shoulders to move your arms ? Keeping your hands/ wrists in front of the ball ?is ok and will make the ball spin and check . I think if your right hand takes over you risk blading the chip if the club head gets in front ,if you slide your right hand under you pop the ball up .

Steve57
28th February 2018, 06:14 PM
quick question for those that have a better understanding of the swing when using the shorter irons.I was having a bit of a hit today on a practice facility for my short game,and one of the other users mentioned that I tend to leave my wrists flat,or open when I am chipping and pushed my arms thru the ball.I was using my 56 at about 25 metres.Certainly helped with face contact,and dispersion was a bit better.

Anyway the question.Would leaving the wrists flat and pushing my arms thru the shot cause me to be pushing the ball high and short on my shorter irons,say from PW to 60degree?Go and talk to a teaching pro, and if need be have a lesson.
Far better than getting advice from a bunch of would be if they could be amateur hacks.

JoeS
28th February 2018, 06:18 PM
Turning your shoulders to move your arms ? Keeping your hands/ wrists in front of the ball ?is ok and will make the ball spin and check . I think if your right hand takes over you risk blading the chip if the club head gets in front ,if you slide your right hand under you pop the ball up .

I should have asked a few more questions of him,I think he meant that I pull my arms across my body creating a cut on the ball,not hitting thru it and making good contact.I was thinking more about it after he left and probably just caused myself more confusion.

JoeS
28th February 2018, 06:20 PM
Go and talk to a teaching pro, and if need be have a lesson.
Far better than getting advice from a bunch of would be if they could be amateur hacks.

Organised,it was just a question that I didn't think to ask at the time.

Grumpy8
28th February 2018, 06:59 PM
I should have asked a few more questions of him,I think he meant that I pull my arms across my body creating a cut on the ball,not hitting thru it and making good contact.I was thinking more about it after he left and probably just caused myself more confusion.I agree with Steve ask the pro to take you thru it . I think what this guy was suggesting is an open stance weight slightly forward , turn back and thru using shoulders to power the arms , not much wrist action , keep hands in front / ahead of the club face , use your hips and body turn to power your shot and the follow thru , it will naturally turn / go left after ball contact . That’s what my coach was trying to get me to do anyway