PDA

View Full Version : Golf balls

JoeS
26th February 2018, 12:15 PM
Does the different composition of the ball make much difference.I used to think not,I have been using Mizuno mp-s balls for a few years and thought they were ok.Never really see them for sale let alone other golfers using them,price tag probably had a lot to do with that though.

So now I dont have my cheap ball supply I had to go out and buy some.Chrome soft looked a good price for a dozen so handed over the hard earned and played them for the first time on the weekend.I already hit with ok distance,but hi spin off the iron face.A few times on the weekend I landed on and check spun off the front,but I thought I was hitting it longer with both irons and driver.

So my question,does a soft cover help to increase spin?What would be a slightly harder ball to try that would bring the spin down a little?

okitoki
26th February 2018, 12:25 PM
how do you find putting with them?
I played a Pro V1s I had sitting in the bag... feels great off the driver and irons, but boy, it was hard for me the gauge my putting distance. Kept under putting.

Changed back to my Vice Tour on the 10th hold, and was back to putting normally.

JoeS
26th February 2018, 01:20 PM
how do you find putting with them?
I played a Pro V1s I had sitting in the bag... feels great off the driver and irons, but boy, it was hard for me the gauge my putting distance. Kept under putting.

Changed back to my Vice Tour on the 10th hold, and was back to putting normally.Ok so far.I have been getting most putts to or past the hole.

PapaBravo
26th February 2018, 06:33 PM
There are 2 different elements you are bringing into play here. The cover, and what it is made out of, as well as the compression of the layers inside the ball.

Softer covered balls are usually covered with urethane, and have the ability to create more friction on contact, both with the club face, as well as the ground. This usually produces a less "clicky" feeling off the putter also.
Harder covered balls are a surlyn, and have much less friction with the clubhead and ground. They will feel very different off the clubface, and sound very different also.

The compression of the ball impacts on many factors, depending on its composition. A simple 2 piece ball (where there is a solid single density core and the cover) will compress more or less based on swing speed at impact. As we introduce different layers with different densities, the ball will compress more with softer layers of the core, and less with harder layers.

Unfortunately, finding the best ball is very much trial and error. Contrary to certain manufacturers there is no "best ball for everyone" because of the variables in play, however we can narrow our trials by looking at balls within our "compression range" based on swing speeds. I don't swing it that hard (around 80kph clubhead speed with a PW) therefore I have more distance, more control and more versatility with chromesoft/prov1/tp5 etc than I do chromesoft-x/prov1-x/tpx. If I was to try the mizuno balls that you normally play with, I would "more likely" prefer the mp-s than the mp-x.

My suggestion to you specifically, is to ascertain if the cover or the compression is causing the out of control spin with your irons. eg (from the callaway line): If you are compressing the ball too much, you could try a chromesoft X which has a similar cover but with a higher compression core composite and if the cover is giving you too much grab, you could try a supersoft, superhot or warbird.

Hope this fills in some blanks for you.

Jazz18
26th February 2018, 07:52 PM
Does the different composition of the ball make much difference.I used to think not,I have been using Mizuno mp-s balls for a few years and thought they were ok.Never really see them for sale let alone other golfers using them,price tag probably had a lot to do with that though.So now I dont have my cheap ball supply I had to go out and buy some.Chrome soft looked a good price for a dozen so handed over the hard earned and played them for the first time on the weekend.I already hit with ok distance,but hi spin off the iron face.A few times on the weekend I landed on and check spun off the front,but I thought I was hitting it longer with both irons and driver.So my question,does a soft cover help to increase spin?What would be a slightly harder ball to try that would bring the spin down a little?Absolutely the different ball construction makes a difference. It's like anything. Better materials, better result and generally with a ball, you get what you pay for, unless you score end of line prices.I don't think there's any hard and fast rules how to choose a golf ball. I think trial and error is really the only way but the method that makes the most sense to me is start on the green and work your way back to the tee. If you don't like the way a ball feels off your putter, you might as well not bother doing anything else with it.

Grumpy8
26th February 2018, 08:42 PM
I am with jazz , if it doesn’t feel right off the putter don’t use it. Unless you hit it straight 10 mts extra off the tee could cost you shots , too much or too little spin could cost you shots , confidence with a ball on or around the greens should save u shots .