PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like a pulled heart muscle to me.......

Speirsy11
15th July 2006, 08:30 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/golf/07/14/michelle.wie.ap/index.html

For those who didn't see any of it, MW has WD because of a stomach ache mid-way through her round today......77-WD...>Does this signal the end of the MW experiment on the Men's TOUR? Time to hang it up and play with the "girls" on the LPGA? If you were her handlers (and believe me, she's got MANY) would you tell her that enough is enough and it's time to go away to the land of misfit toys that is the LPGA lately (good job by the new commish.......You have a 16yr old that is a media darling with TONS of game and you won't let her play full time? No wonder everyone is quitting)?

Speirsy

Courty
15th July 2006, 08:59 AM
The temperature Friday afternoon was 88, with the sun and humidity making it feel as if it was five degrees warmer.

Oooooh, it's so hot! :roll:

Moe Norman
15th July 2006, 10:08 AM
sounds like she's preggers to me

jaster
15th July 2006, 10:09 AM
LOL Moe....

I was watching it this morning, seems like a total act to me, hopefully this will teach the sponsors to stop giving invites to people who don't appreciate them so they can have a spare spot for a Monday qualifier.

Speirsy11
15th July 2006, 10:13 AM
sounds like she's preggers to me

VERY unlikely :)

I loved that line about it being 88 degrees......Like a 16yr old girl who weighs 28Kg can't handle the heat when guys like Jason Gore (who looks like he's made of Cottage Cheese and Blue Tac) are plugging along just fine......

Also notice that it specifically says that she told her "parents that she didnt want to continue playing" not that she told officials that she couldn't play anymore.......I suppose that double on 9 would make most of us not want to play anymore.....

jaster
15th July 2006, 10:24 AM
I agree 100% Speirsy.

I remember playing back home 18 holes when it hit 45* Celcius, on Sand greens. If you don't know they use to oil sand greens with used "Sump Oil".....so you might say it was kinda hot and sticky ;) There were no taps on the course, only one tap at the 5th hole (halfway mark) of Rainwater that tasted like Frog bile....I loved every minute of it :)

Jarro
15th July 2006, 10:49 AM
stick with the LPGA tour MW ..... no place for ladies on the boys tour [-X

Bruce
15th July 2006, 01:12 PM
stick with the LPGA tour MW ..... no place for ladies on the boys tour [-X

The problem is she is playing as many LPGA events as she is allowed to. The commish (whatever her name is) decided not to make an exemption for her age and so she can only play a limited schedule.

History may show this as the worst decision in the history of tour management.

pt73
15th July 2006, 10:58 PM
Maybe she took some PR advice from her "handlers" and withdrew instead of playing on to come last/second last, that doesn't look good on the CV and is impossible to spin into anything positive.

PT

raidrboy
15th July 2006, 11:07 PM
It certainly looked like a big act to me also. As for the temperature if she can't handle the heat she should get out of the kitchen.

goughy
16th July 2006, 07:43 AM
She's ranked No.2 in the world. She must be getting some good results on the LPGA tour, but she still hasn't won anything against the big girls yet. Still a lot for her to prove to me.

Grunt
16th July 2006, 07:50 AM
Her ranking Goughy is a bit of a furfy until she plays more consistently in the LPGA Tour.

She was ranked 2 then she dropped off the list due to not playing the required amount of tournaments. I think it is 15 in 12 months. As she keeps missing ladies events and the restricted schedule that the LPGA has enforced on her because of her age she will pop in and out of the rankings.

BrisVegas
17th July 2006, 01:39 PM
Her playing partners were complaining about her slow play on Thursday and Friday.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19814152-23213,00.html

Isn't Tiger notoriously slow too?? Does slow play get overlooked if the scoring is good enough??

Moe Norman
17th July 2006, 01:45 PM
she's doing better than any other 16 year old golfer (male or female) in the history of golf - that impresses me.

AndyP
17th July 2006, 01:46 PM
If you are slow between shots but have less shots, does that make you faster overall?

Courty
17th July 2006, 01:47 PM
she's doing better than any other 16 year old golfer (male or female) in the history of golf - that impresses me.

Being 16 years old does not make her exempt from the rules and etiquette of golf.

miro
17th July 2006, 01:55 PM

Moe,

I would dispute that. I think you would find plenty of examples of teenagers achieving things in golf that MWie has not. Even today she would not be the youngest person to make a PGA cut. She is not the youngest winner of an LPGA event -oh thats right she hasn't won one yet. She is not the youngest person to finish top 3 in a womens major -I think Morgan Pressel may have grabbed that honor.

But she is the youngest golfer to ever be marketed as well as she has been. For that she deserves credit.

Now how about some results -I believe she is 10 majors and 85 tournament wins behind Sorrenstam. If Annika never wins again and Wie wins 5 tournaments a year it will only take another 13 years to pass her and be considered a "great" of the game.

miro
17th July 2006, 01:58 PM
The problem is she is playing as many LPGA events as she is allowed to. The commish (whatever her name is) decided not to make an exemption for her age and so she can only play a limited schedule.

History may show this as the worst decision in the history of tour management.

Bruce,

My understanding is that Wie has not requested an exemption (such as that granted to Morgan Pressel) in order to play more events. So the LPGA is not the issue. Rather camp Wie I suspect do not want people saying go play the LPGA -currently she can simply say "they won;t let me play any more". Which is disingenius at best considering she has not asked for the right to play more.

Jono
17th July 2006, 02:00 PM
Gee, it took you a while to jump in this thread, ey Miro? ;)

AndyP
17th July 2006, 02:00 PM
Sounds like Wie pissed Jeff Gove off. He has some issues. FWIW he didn't make the cut.

just
17th July 2006, 02:07 PM
Give the girl a break. Sure she hasn't asked for an exemption, but even if she did it should have been refused-as it should for anyone else. The rule is in place to protect the young and vulnerable.
The LGPA haven't made a, mistake they know they will get years of marketing out of her, so a year or two now won't make much of a difference.
As for her competing in blokes events, well if that is what the sponsors, want then so be it. At a time when televised golf is taking a nosedive any publicity, is good publicity. And as for some 'poor' bloke missing out on an event, if he was any good (whoever it is) he wouldn't have missed out.
Justin

Moe Norman
17th July 2006, 02:10 PM
Hey Miro,

Morgan Pressel was 17 when she finished T2 at the US Open. Michelle Wie is 16 and has been Top 5 in the last 4 Women's Majors in a row and Top 3 in 4 of the last 6. She also made the Top 10 of a Womens Major at 13 years old and Top 5 when 14 years old.

I think you can throw that comparison out the window...

as for why she hasn't asked for an exemption, who knows? Maybe she wants to make a PGA cut now, so she can focus on the LPGA Tour later.

Next.

miro
17th July 2006, 02:14 PM
One last little comment given that she is surviving on sponsor invites. This months golf digest has a column in it from one of the Aussie guys who was paired with her in the Korean mens event she played in. He said she didn't sign autographs, talk to fans and generally wasted the sponsors money.

Between that attitude and a apparently "weak heart muscle" those sponsor invites may become in shorter supply.

miro
17th July 2006, 02:19 PM
Moe,

I stand corrected. Let me ask you a question. When (if) Tiger passes Jacks majors won record will you consider him to be "the king of the hill" despite the fact that Jack finsihed top 2 19 times which gives him a much greater total record than Woods in majors (this seems likely).

My point is no-one remembers accomplishments such as Wie's (i.e. not winning) when it comes time to asess a career in history. At the moment Wie is a sideshow who has one only 1 event of any substance -and that was 3 years ago.

Jono
17th July 2006, 02:23 PM
This months golf digest has a column in it from one of the Aussie guys who was paired with her in the Korean mens event she played in. He said she didn't sign autographs, talk to fans and generally wasted the sponsors money.

She may not have signed autographs on the course, but according to the Korean newspapers and web sites, she did a lot of interviews and extra stuff off the course. As she was born in the US, they started interviewing her in English, but she answered in perfect Korean. The Korean press was most impressed, and she left a great impression. I think the sponsors were pretty happy with her.

Next. 8)

Moe Norman
17th July 2006, 02:27 PM
i said she was the best performed 16 year old - nothing more.

As for Tiger versus Jack - Tiger has had a few top 5's as well, and I think the game is more competitive now than it ever was.

Back in the day you'd go to a major and there may have been 15 guys who were a realistic chance - now there are 30-40 at least.

Besides Tiger and Phil, nobody is consistently right there when it counts, because its so damn competitive these days.

Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's it was always the usual suspects making up the Top 10 of every major there was, they just played musical chairs!

miro
17th July 2006, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=Moe Norman]i said she was the best performed 16 year old - nothing more.

QUOTE]

Moe,

I give you:

Sergio Garcia -made the cut on the European Tour at age 14.
Ty Tyron -made the cut on the PGA at age 16.
Tiger Woods -USGA Junior National Champion at age 15, 16 17 (youngest ever, onlt player even to win twice then thrice)

Sorry but a couple of places in LPGA events and 1 amatuer victory does not make her the "best performed 16 year old".

Moe Norman
17th July 2006, 03:20 PM
i think it does.

Sergio and Ty made cuts at those Ages. Michelle finished Top 5 at MAJORS.

a considerable difference in my book.

miro
17th July 2006, 03:31 PM
LPGA majors.

I believe that many of the 70 players Ty and Sergio beat in those events would have easily won the LPGA majors which she has placed in. I believe that making the cut in the EPGA / PGA is much more difficult than placing in the LPGA -MWie's performances to date (6 over, 13 behind the leader this week after 1 round in the softest field in mens golf) simply prove that fact.

Don't misunderstand me I believe she is a talent of enourmous potential -but at this stage it is mostly potential. She will win and win regularly but she will never come close against the men.

I often wonder what will happen when at age 18 after say 20 attempts she makes a mens PGA cut and finishes tied 60th. It would be a great achievement but would it really prove anything?

Moe Norman
17th July 2006, 04:00 PM
of course shes not the best of either sex, but against her peers - ladies.

you must think I'm an idiot if you don't realise I think every bloke in the mens Top 50 would win a female major by 10 strokes.

miro
17th July 2006, 04:12 PM
Moe,

I certainly don't believe you are an idiot but you did say:

"she's doing better than any other 16 year old golfer (male or female) in the history".

And to me that simply isn't true.

I have nothing against Wie but I don't like the constant grandiose claims that are made by her or for her -such as she hits driver as far as the guys, she is the best 16 year old ever etc etc.

dc68
17th July 2006, 04:17 PM
of course shes not the best of either sex, but against her peers - ladies.

you must think I'm an idiot if you don't realise I think every bloke in the mens Top 50 would win a female major by 10 strokes.+

You could nearly make that top 100

Moe Norman
17th July 2006, 05:17 PM
"she's doing better than any other 16 year old golfer (male or female) in the history".
and she is.

unless you count her performances AGAINST men, which is a sideshow at best.

miro
14th August 2006, 01:22 PM
Now I had to drag this thread up from a past debate with Mo. An interesting thing happened to the MWie promotional machine today. It turns out that maybe she isn't even the best performed teenage female going around -that is if results from when you are 13 and 14 count.

Today Kimberley Kim, 14 years old, won the biggest womens amatuer event in the USA and hence probably the world -a feat young Ms Wie never achieved. Ms Kim is also the youngest player to make the cut at a womens major (the U.S. Women's Open) at age 13. Finally Kim lost in the Women's Amateur Public Links final- the event Wie won at age 13 earlier this year (don't know if she was 13 or 14 at the time).

Soem competition on the horizon -at least in teenage phenom terms -maybe not in marketing hype.

Fishman Dan
14th August 2006, 01:35 PM
It's a chew'em'up, spit'em'out lifestyle - yesterdays news at age 16.5.