PDA

View Full Version : Course Guides for 2018.

Bruce
21st February 2018, 02:58 PM
Curlewis.

Is anyone going for the surf style carts? This course will favour a right to left hitter on a lot of holes. The front 9 has the most interesting land and routing while the back is a bit flat and a bit up and back. Pushup greens are everywhere.

1 - Flirt with the tree line on the right to have a chance to get home in 2. Green is pushed up a long way so club up accordingly.

2 - I think the outside of the dogleg gives the best angle in to the green. Possibly in range for bombers at the end of summer and things running hard and fast.

3 - One of the best holes you will play for the Champs. Definitely tempting with a nice left to right shape down the hill a bit. OOBs down the left to punish the wayward.

4 - Long par 3 with another push up green. Everything runs away in all directions so I can't recommend a safe miss.

5 - Fairway unbunkered but narrowing a bit after 200m with a front left trap at the green. Mid length means a positional play off the tee might be a good idea.

6 - I can't see this being a 2 shotter for anyone as the dogleg really cuts off the angles. A big curve around to the left but getting your second shot out near the right will open up a green that is tucked in behind the trees that define the left of this hole.

7 - If you can go big over the left corner and flirt with the bunker you get some help down the other side of the hill. Green is unprotected at the front so even if you are back a bit off the tee you can find the green without too much trouble.

8 - Another push-up par 3. This time with a short to mid iron.

9 - Again, flirt with the inside corner to have a shorter line in. Green is set in the side of a hill and which will collect a longer ball, but also makes for the scarier downhill putts you will get at Curlewis.

10 - The water isn't really in play. The right side has trees but is the preferred line to the green. Not much of note about the green that I can remember.

11 - Possibly want to play back a bit from the tee rather than risk falling off the right hand side or finding the bunkers there. Another climb up to this hole.

12 - The turn in this par 5 comes fairly late so get to the left of centre at the corner with 2 shots then you should have a shortish shot in to a mild pushup green.

13 - Longest but fairly flat par 3. There is a path to run up and on. One of the tougher tests on the course.

14 - Those planning to get there in 2 should go down the right hand side. Gets a little narrow in the last 1/3.

15 - Tough hole. Inside of the corner has both bunker and water hazard to deal with, outside makes for a long shot where the green runs away from you. Personally I plan for a short left miss and try to make the up and down.

16 - The tiger line down the left has plenty of trees but gets you a better shot with the front right bunker in play for those that go out to the right.

17 - A funky little par 3 down the hill to a long, skinny, multi-tiered green. Wrong tier and you will be fist pumping if you don't 3 putt.

18 - Finally a hole that likes a bit of left to right shape off the tee. Only mid length though it climbs a bit of a hill to yet another pushed up green. Water guards the left and a hill guards the right. Green doesn't really favor a side to me but missing in the front left pot is the worst of the misses.

WBennett
21st February 2018, 05:05 PM
Super stuff Bruce.

LarryLong
21st February 2018, 05:10 PM
Wow Bruce, you must have played Curlewis a few times. I live less than 20km away and I've only played it once!

3Puttpete
21st February 2018, 05:49 PM
If a skateboard thing is an option I’m keen to give it a go.

Courty
21st February 2018, 05:55 PM
If a skateboard thing is an option I’m keen to give it a go.

+1

Bruce
21st February 2018, 06:35 PM
Wow Bruce, you must have played Curlewis a few times. I live less than 20km away and I've only played it once!

3 or 4 times in the last couple of years. I like it. Although I did have to look at the course map online to remember exactly which hole was which. The front 9 is really good golf for the $$.

sticks
25th February 2018, 07:37 AM
Pretty spot on Bruce. Ill add a couple extras.

On the first, be very careful to not hit it long into the green as it can go down the hill at the back of the green. I have seen many players blow out on that hole by hitting it over the back, then duffing the next shot and ending up at the bottom of the big hill at the front of the green.

On the 6th, do all you can to be putting up hill. It's a very slippery green from all other positions. This applies to the 17th green also.

Aim for the right side of the green over the bunker on the 18th as anything which hits the middle or left side of the green will most likely roll off the side or the front of the green. Its slopes severely from from right to left and back to front.

Take a few spare balls. The rough is unforgiving and balls just disappear.

Bruce
26th February 2018, 12:11 PM
Ta Sticks. I've never really seen or thought about long on 1.

Bruce
5th March 2018, 08:20 AM
I am really struggling to remember the back 9 of Barwon Heads. And there have been a few changes since I was there.

I think the most important thing for newcomers is that 9 doglegs to the left (and is a hefty slosh). It confused us all when we stood on the tee the first time.
The first 6 holes are very different from the rest. You cross the road on 7 and it changes completely, but those first 6 are pure highlight reel.

PeteyD
5th March 2018, 08:38 AM
Wikimapia of 9 (the par 3 8th goes toward the bottom corner).

Bruce
5th March 2018, 09:42 AM
13th Beach - Beach course.

The thing you need to know most is that the designer, Tony Cashmore, hates people who can hit it 250m or more. You will see it time and again as you go around.

1 - This will play about 310m for us and not a bad way to brush off the first tee nerves. The green wants you to come in from the right so lay up short of the bunkers if you are feeling rusty or go over them if you have the form.

2 - A nice wide fairway but close to the bunkers is better. Green is quite shallow.

3 - Longish par 3 with weird sort of legs that go around the middle bunkers. If you are going to miss, make sure it is short on the pin side leg.

4 - The first time Cashmore forces you to lay up. Go short of the road block. Conditions may allow a long shot at the green over the second set of bunkers but short and/or right of them will give a pretty easy wedge in to the green.

5 - I like this hole. Yes you can see the green and bombers can certainly reach. Or you can take on as little as you wish and leave yourself at most 130m in to the green.

6 - Utter Cashmore garbage. No more than 200m off the tee, then another forced layup on the 2nd shot where you should ignore the right option on the fairway as it will only end in tears so you have to go over that bullshit blind lump. A truly terrible hole.

7 - A solid mid par 3 but a little on the penal side. Don't miss right.

8 - Preferred line is down the right, but the bowl makes hitting the green possible from almost anywhere. Go straight in the middle of the bowl.

9 - A real tester. A cry of "Witness Me!!" is required for anyone that heads into the wasteland on the right. Front left of the green is the safest target for the longer approach shot. Short right will require an up and down you can brag about after the round.

10 - Left side is the preferred line and is the better line at the green. The further right you go the more you will have to deal with the slope away and shit to deal with on your second shot. I seem to remember a strong back to front slope on teh green.

11 - OOB down the left and that is the line for those that intend to get there in 2. 3 shotters need to deal with the roadblock bunker zone before attacking a green above you. An 8i from short of the roadblock may be easier than the wedge after going over it.

12 - I don't really like the bullshit about 30m short of the green as it only serves to kill you as punishment of a poor shot. Otherwise a solid mid 3 without many options for a safe miss.

13 - Wait! Where's the beach? If you are long enough and straigt enough, go straight at it. Otherwise I recommend over the bunker on the right but no more than about 200-220m depending on the tee. Green is long with 3 sections so getting your line and length right with the wedge is important. Short sided in any bunker on the left of the green very tough.

14 - This a hole to hit away from the perceived trouble off the tee. Stay with the left side and you can probably go over the cross bunkers. Green is pretty long so pay attention to your distance in.

15 - Another tee shot where distance is not allowed. Stick to short and left to have the best line at this fairly skinny green.

16 - If the wind is up this par 3 can be nightmare. If it isn't then it's a pretty simple short 3 along the top of the ridge. If it is blowing - just hit the green

17 - Another wasteland down the right where a good score will be attacked by angry bike gangs. But you need to go as close are you dare for the shorter way home on this long hole. Green has 2 tiers with a decent ridge defining it so be in teh right part.

18 - Gets kinda messy at the drive distance so I recommend centre right. Shaping in a right to left shot on this green is a chance to show some skill for the crowd that will be watching you come home.

Slug
5th March 2018, 10:01 AM
Bruce, isnt 7 the par 3 from top of the hill? big two tiered green

think all those who have played, and are about to play would completely agree with you on 6

Bruce
5th March 2018, 10:15 AM
Bruce, isnt 7 the par 3 from top of the hill? big two tiered green

think all those who have played, and are about to play would completely agree with you on 6

Yes you are right that is a typo.