PDA

View Full Version : 120 score

West
16th February 2018, 10:21 AM
I take about 120 strokes to complete 18 holes. Need work with short game, a lot of two chips and 3 putts to finish a hole.

With such a score, should I even go play social comps at my local GC (Bankstown)?

Obviously don't want to slow down the game too much!

Grumpy8
16th February 2018, 10:30 AM
Go see the pro , gets some lessons if you want to improve, keep playing just keep moving along and don’t waste time in between shots and you will be ok

Dotty
16th February 2018, 10:59 AM
Play stableford comps, as you can/must pick up after you reach 3 over par for a hole.

And do it quickly, otherwise you'll be treated like a numpty driving at 20kph below the speed limit.

Enjoy. Play a few comps and get a handicap that reflects your ability, which puts you on a level playing field with those that have been playing for years.

JoeS
16th February 2018, 03:18 PM
Dont try to hit it like Dustin Johnson amd you will be ok.Practice your short game as much as you can amd the rest will follow as you become more comfident

Heady
21st February 2018, 02:59 PM
Comps are open to anyone who has a handicap. Don’t feel bad because you’re not as good a golfer as some others. Just remember etiquette, having a high handicap doesn’t mean you have to play slowly. Get stuck in and enjoy the comps!! Good luck mate

JADO75
21st February 2018, 07:28 PM
Golf may not be for you brotha, do you raise your bat when you get to 100?

Pickles
22nd February 2018, 08:44 AM
Don't stress to much about your high score and don't let it put you off playing. You'll find that playing competitively actually helps and encourages you to get better.

I know my club and a few others nearby have 9 hole twilight social competitions. Perhaps something like that might be worth looking into before daylight savings ends.

okitoki
22nd February 2018, 10:27 AM
Go and play.... boy I sucked when I first started playing (still do now)

The best advise I have received was.... "No matter how bad you are playing... always play with a smile and enjoy the day"

Helps alot... the more you stress and/or get angry about it, the worst you will play. Don't throw clubs, curse loudly, or just behave badly... you just look like a jerk

Plus it usually makes it easier for your playing partners to play with you and willing to help out a newbie (everyone was one before)

okitoki
22nd February 2018, 10:28 AM
Oh... and don't count your score during the game. Only when you finish... tell your scorer at the beginning not to tell you

Less pressure on yourself

Coldtopper
22nd February 2018, 06:51 PM
Wear fluro, white belt, big brand cloths and remember it’s only cheating if you get caught @ 120 swipes you should be able to knock 20 off with white out!

West
22nd February 2018, 09:01 PM
some good tips here, thanks guys!

Jake peralta
29th March 2018, 09:48 PM
Personally I'd start with the putter, practice in the loungeroom etc...pretty easy to drop 20 shots with just basic loungeroom practice. Then go from there

Heady
6th April 2018, 11:19 AM
Golf may not be for you brotha, do you raise your bat when you get to 100? What a wanker. Don’t be deterred by smart arsed idiots like this. Just enjoy playing and improving West.

3Puttpete
6th April 2018, 11:48 AM
What a wanker. Don’t be deterred by smart arsed idiots like this. Just enjoy playing and improving West.

Beat me to it. Bugger.

LarryLong
6th April 2018, 12:09 PM
We have blokes who regularly shoot 120 in my Saturday comp. One of them is the club president. Just be good company, keep up with your group, and pick up if you have a blow-out. No problem.

My only other pieces of advice are to be prepared to laugh at yourself when you're playing bad, because others will, and don't get into the habit of spending ages looking for balls if you have a habit of spraying them into the trees. Just hit provisionals off the tee and let it go if you can't find it after a quick search. That's really the only area of the game where choppers will sometimes slow a group down - the rest is down to bad habits that golfers of all abilities share.

okitoki
6th April 2018, 12:20 PM
Well.... if a pro can play a 13 at a Master... that should comfort us during a bad round :)

benno_r
6th April 2018, 01:07 PM
We have blokes who regularly shoot 120 in my Saturday comp. One of them is the club president. Just be good company, keep up with your group, and pick up if you have a blow-out. No problem.

My only other pieces of advice are to be prepared to laugh at yourself when you're playing bad, because others will, and don't get into the habit of spending ages looking for balls if you have a habit of spraying them into the trees. Just hit provisionals off the tee and let it go if you can't find it after a quick search. That's really the only area of the game where choppers will sometimes slow a group down - the rest is down to bad habits that golfers of all abilities share.

The good players should help them look for their ball for a little bit though.

LarryLong
6th April 2018, 01:12 PM

Oh, of course. Everybody should help, but I think they really should change the rule to one minute.

They're still makin' 'em, as one old bloke I often play with likes to say.

mrbluu
6th April 2018, 01:15 PM

I'm not very good, but should I still help Peppas look for his ball??? :mrgreen:

benno_r
6th April 2018, 01:22 PM
I'm not very good, but should I still help Peppas look for his ball??? :mrgreen:

Yes, he needs all the eyes he can get.

Dotty
6th April 2018, 03:34 PM
You can look under the leaves and he can look on top. :)

mrbluu
6th April 2018, 06:05 PM
You can look under the leaves and he can look on top. :)I don't get it [emoji13][emoji13]