PDA

View Full Version : Scrambling golf

JoeS
16th February 2018, 07:23 AM
Got a bit of a problem at the moment.Scoring ok,low 80's to high 70's but it seems to be hard work.fairways hit and greens are down,no hit par 3's in about 4 rounds,really been scrambling around the course.It can be amusing at best when you don't play off the fairway but still mark down a par,but it doesn't give me birdie chances.
Ball striking is good,directional control seems to be the issue.What to do?

3oneday
16th February 2018, 07:29 AM
Never hurt Seve, don't overthink it or worry. If you hit a good drive, try and stick it close, if you don't the go into recovery mode.

Either that or buy a new driver

mrbluu
16th February 2018, 07:32 AM
Got a bit of a problem at the moment.Scoring ok,low 80's to high 70's but it seems to be hard work.fairways hit and greens are down,no hit par 3's in about 4 rounds,really been scrambling around the course.It can be amusing at best when you don't play off the fairway but still mark down a par,but it doesn't give me birdie chances.
Ball striking is good,directional control seems to be the issue.What to do?Buy a new putter, that should help ur ball striking!![emoji16]

Captain Nemo
16th February 2018, 08:03 AM
Your over thinking it.
Be different if your playing for a living.
Take time to enjoy the scenery, smell the grass, listen to the birds......
Or drink more beer!

Grumpy8
16th February 2018, 08:05 AM
Got a bit of a problem at the moment.Scoring ok,low 80's to high 70's but it seems to be hard work.fairways hit and greens are down,no hit par 3's in about 4 rounds,really been scrambling around the course.It can be amusing at best when you don't play off the fairway but still mark down a par,but it doesn't give me birdie chances.Ball striking is good,directional control seems to be the issue.What to do? Don’t forget you are shooting at small greens so you aren’t going to hit as many , so you are having to get up n down from around the greens , sloping fairways don’t help either . Different story if you are chipping out sideways all the time .Have a think about your course management , hitting 3 wood or irons off tees . Missing par 3’s is possibly under clubbing , eg the 6 th and 15th are 9 iron distance but I hit an easy 8 works much better .

Dotty
16th February 2018, 11:05 AM
You need to work on your driver swing speed.

80mph will keep it on the fairway.

WBennett
16th February 2018, 01:07 PM
Fairways are overrated. Drivers are overrated.
But we all know what we prefer to hit.

Shooting your handicap or near enough whilst not playing well is a good sign that things are about to click. Save it for the Uncivil War.

Lagerlover
16th February 2018, 01:27 PM
You need to work on your driver swing speed. 80mph will keep it on the fairway. That's only 360 miles over a normal round Dotty.

JoeS
16th February 2018, 03:07 PM
Never hurt Seve, don't overthink it or worry. If you hit a good drive, try and stick it close, if you don't the go into recovery mode.

Either that or buy a new driverJust bought another driver.Fairways missed aren't usually to bad,just a bit off but wrong side of fairway.missed greens are the problem,even a 100m wedge is giving me the shits

JoeS
16th February 2018, 03:08 PM
Buy a new putter, that should help ur ball striking!![emoji16][emoji848]

JoeS
16th February 2018, 03:13 PM
Don’t forget you are shooting at small greens so you aren’t going to hit as many , so you are having to get up n down from around the greens , sloping fairways don’t help either . Different story if you are chipping out sideways all the time .Have a think about your course management , hitting 3 wood or irons off tees . Missing par 3’s is possibly under clubbing , eg the 6 th and 15th are 9 iron distance but I hit an easy 8 works much better .I am missing the par 3's on all sides.Hit a ripper 8 iron into 15th 2 weeks ago that went long,carried 11 with a 4 iron,long left on 2 with a 5 iron,short on 6 with an 8iron.All good strikes but not good control

JoeS
16th February 2018, 03:15 PM
Fairways are overrated. Drivers are overrated.
But we all know what we prefer to hit.

Shooting your handicap or near enough whilst not playing well is a good sign that things are about to click. Save it for the Uncivil War.Can't let them unionists come down here and take whats ours

Grumpy8
16th February 2018, 05:47 PM
I am missing the par 3's on all sides.Hit a ripper 8 iron into 15th 2 weeks ago that went long,carried 11 with a 4 iron,long left on 2 with a 5 iron,short on 6 with an 8iron.All good strikes but not good control Maybe you could/should practice hitting half shots / controlled distance shots eg if a 8 goes long but a 9 has to be hit a bit hard to get there ( me on 15) hit easy 8’s by shortening you back swing instead of a long slow swing that could end up decelerating.

PapaBravo
19th February 2018, 11:43 AM
For me, direction goes astray when tempo goes out the window. Often this can be caused by going after a tee shot and it paying off, which subconsciously gives me a green light to go after everything expecting the same result. For me, its very hard to scale back the tempo but it's very easy to increase throughout a round.

I rely on narrowing my stance significantly for the next shot and over clubbing to go back to not trying to hit the cover off it. This helps keep the core more stable and the flatspot in the swing to be where it needs to be. It also takes hand flipping or blocking out of the equation and brings everything back into sync.

JoeS
19th February 2018, 09:27 PM
For me, direction goes astray when tempo goes out the window. Often this can be caused by going after a tee shot and it paying off, which subconsciously gives me a green light to go after everything expecting the same result. For me, its very hard to scale back the tempo but it's very easy to increase throughout a round.

I rely on narrowing my stance significantly for the next shot and over clubbing to go back to not trying to hit the cover off it. This helps keep the core more stable and the flatspot in the swing to be where it needs to be. It also takes hand flipping or blocking out of the equation and brings everything back into sync.Very good idea.I played witj Grumpy8 on Saturday and je was saying things along the same line.I once again played well,balk striking was pretty good.I went up a club a few times,not got the results but felt more comfortable over the shot knowing I didn't have to rip it.Twice I hit green though with wedge shots and watched them check spin back 5 metres off the green.Sometimes my greens hit is low,but not bad misses.

davidw88
23rd February 2018, 05:45 PM
I play, the same, I play off 1 but my ball striking is shit. I will hit as many greens punching out of the trees as I do from the fairway. If the putter is on I Usually shoot around par, if not usually high 70's.

JoeS
23rd February 2018, 05:53 PM
I play, the same, I play off 1 but my ball striking is shit. I will hit as many greens punching out of the trees as I do from the fairway. If the putter is on I Usually shoot around par, if not usually high 70's.I was at the range tonight,stuck my headphones on and got Foo Fighters pumping.I had 3 clubs and a small bucket,about 55 balls.Right now I don't care as much for direction as I do for face strike.PW I hit well,carried about 115m slightly wind assisted.7 iron was carrying almost 160m wind assisted,driver carried 200 marler as well.I have herd what Grumpy8 jas been saying,taken a bit off the swing and held a solid platform,my strike is cleaner,direction and dispersion is under a bit better control and I am still hitting it good length with half the effort.There is a 6 inch gap beteeem my ears that needs to shut up and remember to have some fun