PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the Game Iron Advice

BrentonJ
14th February 2018, 11:05 AM
Hey Guys,

So life happened and I've been away from the game for a long time (long enough to just discover Nike don't make equipment anymore). I still work 6 days a week and about 65 hours but recently discovered their is a xGolf sim not far from my place and open until 10pm. So I've been able to start playing again late at nights and have the bug bad.

Problem being after a such loooooooong time away from the game my MP62's are way too much Iron for me now and I'm looking for something that's more forgiving. I'm after something along the AP2 line's I.E. not too thick, not too much offset and not a 43* PW

What am I looking at these days and whats cool? I will prob look to move my MP62s or trade.

Regards,

BD

3Puttpete
14th February 2018, 11:16 AM
Why not a 43* pitching wedge?

BrentonJ
14th February 2018, 11:22 AM
I'm not looking for more distance, I'm just looking for some forgiveness with my inconsistent ball striking.

Jazz18
14th February 2018, 11:29 AM
You can't go past a set of Srixon 745 irons. Soft, easy to hit and look nice i.e. not huge. Should be able to find a set out there somewhere at a reasonable price. They would crap all over AP2. Mizuno JPX forged irons (850 or 900) would be a good option too.

billp
14th February 2018, 11:50 AM
Clevland CBX irons, Callaway CF16 or Srixon 565 would be my pick.

okitoki
14th February 2018, 01:00 PM
I had a hit with a XR pro set and they were pretty easy and nice to hit. Seems easier than my Apex CF16 back then.

davepuppies
14th February 2018, 06:07 PM
I really rate my taylomade rsi2

Daves
15th February 2018, 09:14 AM
Lots of options fitting your criteria, just depends on what you want to spend. Those I have used and would recommend;

Adams CB2 or A12 Pros or XTD Forged
Callaway Apex or Apex Pros
Cleveland 588CBs
Mizuno MP 53s or 54s
Nike VRS or VR Red Forged
Ping S56 or E1s
TaylorMade CBs (any model), RSi2, RSi TP, R'Bladez Tours
Titleist AP2s or CBs.

Another alternative is to see if you can pick up 4,5 & 6 in a cavity backs(Mizunos ideally), and make up a combo set with your MP62 7 - PW. I find the extra help is really only noticeable from 6/7 up.

BrentonJ
15th February 2018, 09:54 AM
You can't go past a set of Srixon 745 irons. Soft, easy to hit and look nice i.e. not huge.

Thanks mate these look solid! I've always been a fan of the Srixon Gear, classic line and always under the radar and underrated.

Lots of options fitting your criteria, just depends on what you want to spend. Those I have used and would recommend;

Adams CB2 or A12 Pros or XTD Forged
Callaway Apex or Apex Pros
Cleveland 588CBs
Mizuno MP 53s or 54s
Nike VRS or VR Red Forged
Ping S56 or E1s
TaylorMade CBs (any model), RSi2, RSi TP, R'Bladez Tours
Titleist AP2s or CBs.

Another alternative is to see if you can pick up 4,5 & 6 in a cavity backs(Mizunos ideally), and make up a combo set with your MP62 7 - PW. I find the extra help is really only noticeable from 6/7 up.

Never thought of of combo'ing my 62's another great idea, I'd prob move into a C Taper Light from the PX 5.5 too

PapaBravo
15th February 2018, 10:10 AM
I went from some harder to hit hogans to some TM p770's and got basically what you are after. A little more help with a relatively classic look.

To be honest though, I love the idea of the combo with some other mizzies if you can get the gapping correct.

BrentonJ
15th February 2018, 10:17 AM
I went from some harder to hit hogans to some TM p770's and got basically what you are after. A little more help with a relatively classic look.

To be honest though, I love the idea of the combo with some other mizzies if you can get the gapping correct.

Could always bend them to suit too. 4,5,6 and maybe 7 for those bad days would be all I need. MP53's could be a goer

I hit the H5's last week and they weren't too bad also the Cobra King Forged Tour Irons with the C Taper light and I enjoyed them.

There is a set of 745 on gumtree in my city with KBS Tour 90's for 450 which is tempting too