PDA

View Full Version : Interesting video on how to play within your skill level for better scores

okitoki
9th February 2018, 12:49 PM
This video reminds me of how I used to play as a kid, with my driver and FW woods being my weakest link by getting me in trouble, I sort of developed a game plan for my local course to use nothing but my iron except for one or two holes. And I did managed to score pretty well in most games, but these was only during summer holidays, and no golf when i come back to Australia to study... so never really found out how I could improve my game further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLD2_g2P4mo

whats your opinion on this approach, and how do you think someone can improve their game in the future?

Captain Nemo
9th February 2018, 03:30 PM
Good if your happy playing bogey golf or have a high handicap I suppose!

Ferrins
10th February 2018, 04:42 AM

AndyP
10th February 2018, 06:36 AM
I watched one minute, and that was the enough.

To an extent, I did this is my recent round at Mt Compass. I played poorly in the first nine, so I dialled it back on the second nine. I used irons off the tee and played safe, to keep the game enjoyable and not score over 100.

Egos tend to get in the way of people playing this way.

Sydney Hacker
10th February 2018, 08:49 AM
It’s also a fine line between playing safe and “too safe” and ending up with a poop loads of bogeys in the card and lots of missed scoring opportunities.

The battle is finding the right mix, I read the thread about how many rounds without a lost ball sometimes and wonder if some in there could score a bit better by taking some more chances. Of course they also may score worse and lose their $4 ball!

okitoki
10th February 2018, 10:17 AM
I have 2 holes that usually my "bad" holes with the first drive usually gets me in trouble.

Maybe I will give this a try on these holes to get my confidence up on them.

Heady
7th April 2018, 11:00 AM
This approach is exactly what has gradually got my handicap down from 26 to 16. If you you want to stay at the 16-19 bogey golf range then I firmly believe that this is the most effective way of doing so. However as mentioned in a few of the comments, this approach will limit your ability to go much lower, which is what I am finding out now! It all depends on your long term goal I suppose. Personally, at 48 years old and a relative newcomer to golf, I am very conscious not to set my goals too high and my current handicap is very enjoyable for me to play off and enjoy

Grumpy8
7th April 2018, 06:24 PM
It’s also a fine line between playing safe and “too safe” and ending up with a poop loads of bogeys in the card and lots of missed scoring opportunities. The battle is finding the right mix, I read the thread about how many rounds without a lost ball sometimes and wonder if some in there could score a bit better by taking some more chances. Of course they also may score worse and lose their $4 ball! It isn’t the $4 for the ball it’s the two shots you save , which leads to you winning more balls in the rundown which then means you don’t have to buy balls .