PDA

View Full Version : Champs Questions about the area

PeteyD
31st January 2018, 07:17 AM
Hi Lads,

Thread for questions about the area.

Unfortunately the bunkhouse does not have a pool. What are the beaches / swimming like near where we are staying? Is it sharkbait territory or safe? Where are the better places to have a post golf dip or early morning wake up?

Slug
31st January 2018, 08:08 AM
Clifton Springs beach is 5 mins down the road from the accom, never been there myself, its in the bay
Portarlington another 5-10 mins further away, nicer spot, bay beach again.

most of the beaches in that area are in the bay, if you want waves etc your gonna need to drive over to Ocean Grove etc

WBennett
31st January 2018, 08:09 AM
Ocean Grove beach would be 5-10 minutes drive away. It will be refreshing!

And you can have breakfast at Larrys!

You also have Port Phillip Bay 5 minutes drive the other way for a wade.

Slug
31st January 2018, 08:15 AM
prob closer to 20-25 to ocean grove beach

PeteyD
31st January 2018, 08:21 AM
Don't want waves. Just want to know there is an option if its stinking hot. 5 minute drive is great.

PeteyD
31st January 2018, 08:25 AM
This might be a big ask, will there be anywhere that screens the Super Rugby fixtures nearby?

chappy1970
31st January 2018, 08:45 AM
Pete most local pubs should have the Super Rugby on a screen somewhere

LarryLong
31st January 2018, 08:54 AM
Drysdale/Clifton Springs is up on a cliff (well, sort of a cliff) and beach access isn't easy and the beach is a bit dirty. Portarlington (or Point Richards just before Port) has better beach access - it's about 5-10 minutes up the road, but I wouldn't swim in the bay if I had the choice.

Ocean Grove is much better though - cleaner beach and some waves to make it interesting, and probably more like 15 minutes away from where we are staying. If you don't like waves you can head towards Raffs near the Barwon Heads bridge where the waves are much smaller, or swim in the Barwon River. Much better for early morning wake-up swims too because you can watch the sun rise over the water and that always looks pretty cool. No sharks (that I'm aware of). Note that the water temperature might not be quite what you're used to, but it's not too bad this time of year.

Left field idea - if the waves are good I could arrange some surfboards and wetsuits one morning?

What's super rugby? :D Your best bet might be a pub in Geelong (there used to be a sports bar, but I don't know if it still exists) or maybe the Drysdale pub? There will probably be pre-season footy on at that stage, so I can't see too many places showing rugby on a screen unless you ask nicely and bring some heavy drinkers with you. :)

PeteyD
31st January 2018, 08:56 AM
Ocean Grove sounds like a plan. Will see how the weather is ;)

Might have to look at watching the game on my phone ....

AndyP
31st January 2018, 09:21 AM
What's super rugby? :D Your best bet might be a pub in Geelong (there used to be a sports bar, but I don't know if it still exists) or maybe the Drysdale pub? There will probably be pre-season footy on at that stage, so I can't see too many places showing rugby on a screen unless you ask nicely and bring some heavy drinkers with you. :)Lucky it doesn't clash with AFLX or there would be no chance of getting a TV changed.

SundayHack
31st January 2018, 10:39 AM
This might be a big ask, will there be anywhere that screens the Super Rugby fixtures nearby?

Hoping to see the Cowboys vs Sharks game on the Friday night. I have been hounding a mate for corporate tickets for a few years now and had to turn down his offer when he said he had some for the same weekend as this.

PeteyD
31st January 2018, 10:43 AM
Hoping to see the Cowboys vs Sharks game on the Friday night. I have been hounding a mate for corporate tickets for a few years now and had to turn down his offer when he said he had some for the same weekend as this.

We might find sowewhere. Tigers Chooks on Saturday Arvo, and Broncos Dragons open on Thursday night. Wrong weekend to be going to the home of aerial ping pong.

SundayHack
31st January 2018, 10:43 AM
A dip in the surf would be a good freshen up. Though I don't think I would be in any state to go surfing after drinking all night.

LarryLong
31st January 2018, 10:59 AM
A dip in the surf would be a good freshen up. Though I don't think I would be in any state to go surfing after drinking all night.

If you can shoot 40 points after hurling on the first tee you can manage a few waves! :)

LeftyHoges
31st January 2018, 11:30 AM
We might find sowewhere. Tigers Chooks on Saturday Arvo, and Broncos Dragons open on Thursday night. Wrong weekend to be going to the home of aerial ping pong.

Might be able to hook my iPad up to a projector and throw it on via Foxtel....

PeteyD
31st January 2018, 11:59 AM
Might be a gentleman and a scholar Lefty.

3Puttpete
31st January 2018, 12:25 PM
Might be able to hook my iPad up to a projector and throw it on via Foxtel....Is redtube closing down?

chappy1970
31st January 2018, 02:13 PM
Is redtube closing down?

I hope not!!!

Lagerlover
31st January 2018, 02:36 PM
Would free up a bit of my time.

Lagerlover
31st January 2018, 02:37 PM
*lot

Lagerlover
31st January 2018, 02:37 PM