PDA

View Full Version : Winn Dri-Tac Grips — any experience?

Jerrymoo
23rd January 2018, 11:33 AM
Anyone ever used these?

I'm looking at Dri-Tac Oversize (jumbo), and just wondering about the feel, durability, and whether or not they can be applied with air?

Seems to be the lightest oversize/jumbo grip around; same weight as Tour Velvet, which brings me to this: Jumbo grips and swingweight, does it matter?

See, I seem to have lost my mid/long iron play over the last 6 months, and the only real change I have made is moving to jumbo grips. First 2-3 months with the change my ball striking was fire... now wedges, short irons and woods are still super solid, but my mid/long irons are coming out weak and kinda low.

I have most of my clubs built with Golf Pride Tour Velvet (50g) to ~D3 or D4 swingweight, then I've been applying Golf Pride CP2 Wraps (80g) on my own. I figure the 30g difference is worth ~6 swingweight points — could this be the problem?

Any thoughts?

Slug
23rd January 2018, 12:05 PM
i use the dri tac midsize and love them

comfortable, durable, feel fantastic

i dont know about the application with air, think you can though

Daves
23rd January 2018, 01:45 PM
Anyone ever used these?

I'm looking at Dri-Tac Oversize (jumbo), and just wondering about the feel, durability, and whether or not they can be applied with air?

Seems to be the lightest oversize/jumbo grip around; same weight as Tour Velvet, which brings me to this: Jumbo grips and swingweight, does it matter?

See, I seem to have lost my mid/long iron play over the last 6 months, and the only real change I have made is moving to jumbo grips. First 2-3 months with the change my ball striking was fire... now wedges, short irons and woods are still super solid, but my mid/long irons are coming out weak and kinda low.

I have most of my clubs built with Golf Pride Tour Velvet (50g) to ~D3 or D4 swingweight, then I've been applying Golf Pride CP2 Wraps (80g) on my own. I figure the 30g difference is worth ~6 swingweight points — could this be the problem?

Any thoughts?

Grip weight differences might fool the Swingweights scale, but they make virtually no difference to club MOI/actual heft.

I have applied Dri-Tacs with Air, no problems.

A larger grip size might change/restrict your wrist hinge a little. This is usually a positive for the average golfer, as it tends to quieten over- active hands. They can also make you a little lazy with your grip, letting it slip up the palm and out of the fingers, if you don't stay on it in your set up.

Johnny Canuck
23rd January 2018, 03:36 PM
Grip weight differences might fool the Swingweights scale, but they make virtually no difference to club MOI/actual heft.

I have applied Dri-Tacs with Air, no problems.

A larger grip size might change/restrict your wrist hinge a little. This is usually a positive for the average golfer, as it tends to quieten over- active hands. They can also make you a little lazy with your grip, letting it slip up the palm and out of the fingers, if you don't stay on it in your set up.

Good to know about the MOI.

I’d been avoiding using my gripmaster oversized on my steelfibers

3oneday
23rd January 2018, 04:15 PM
They wear quicker than any grip I've used, which suits perfectly given how long you keep stuff :lol:

Jerrymoo
23rd January 2018, 05:15 PM
Lol, 3OD... pay that 👍🏼

Daves... a few of my golf buds have said my swing looks a little shorter, so possibly wrist/hand action is an issue. The clubs do feel different, though... like, pick up a club with regular grips/swingweight and I can really feel the difference.

Daves
23rd January 2018, 06:13 PM
Lol, 3OD... pay that 

Daves... a few of my golf buds have said my swing looks a little shorter, so possibly wrist/hand action is an issue. The clubs do feel different, though... like, pick up a club with regular grips/swingweight and I can really feel the difference.

Total weight will be different, so that might be noticeable just holding the club. But when swinging the club the extra weight is at the Fulcrum end and adds virtual nothing to the MOI/Heft of the club.

Some golfers can notice a difference when weight is added to the butt, but there is no rigid science to it. This Tutelman article explores backweighting (adding weight to the Butt end) and may be of interest;

https://www.tutelman.com/golf/design/swingwt5.php#Backweighting

davepuppies
24th January 2018, 09:40 AM
I have Winn excel midsize on all my clubs.

Can definitely feel the difference in swingweight with the lighter grips (I went from heavy tour wrap cords with 3-4 layers of tape, so approx 80-90grams to sub 50