PDA

View Full Version : OH&S nightmares... or "Die welt ist verrukt"

Fishman Dan
12th July 2006, 12:06 PM
I give up.

At work we're replacing a Canon multifunction (print / copy / scan) printer. 4.5 years ago when it was installed, we supplied a corner of the office for the 2.1m space required for the printer, finisher and high-capacity side paper deck. 7000+ pages of joyous storage.

The lease has expired on the old beast, so we got a new flash version of the same printer - with colour. Dimensions are the same, maybe 5-10 cm's larger MAX!

The Canon installer visited... "I can't install that into this space...." What the?

He showed me a Canon technical document - the printer needs 2.1 metres, with 50cm's EITHER SIDE for OH&S. So now we need to find an extra metre - that plainly doesn't exist. The guy even showed me the diagrams for the old printer, and for the new. The old printer dimensions end at the extremities of the printer. The new diagram has the same dimensions and then the extra 500mm at either end. No point saying to the technician that it's the same size?!

The world has gone mad with public liability and unrealistic OH&S regulations. It has gone past the point of being counter-productive, it's just plain retarded.

[/spray]

Courty
12th July 2006, 01:01 PM
No arguments here. The legal system as a lot to answer for in actually allowing people to sue and awarding compensation for the most idiotic things.

goughy
12th July 2006, 05:54 PM
Upholsterers are reputed to have the worst OH&S working conditions in Aus, but one of the best records. I guess if you know the place is death trap you tred carefully.

Fishman Dan
12th July 2006, 06:06 PM
We had a win. Common sense prevailed? Perhaps.

After some more phone calls, our rep came to the fore. Any time our new printer breaks down and access to the rear of the unit is required (yes, that's what this is all about!), a technician will call back to base to get a mate to come and assist. Yes, 2 technicians.

Our previous printer/copier never broke down that catastropically in the 4.5 years we had it (hence our decision to stay with Canon, yaddah yaddah yaddah....).

Got to say the sales rep has been great, but it's a Canon Sales vs Canon Tech department issue.

Grunt
12th July 2006, 07:53 PM
OH & S is killing the aviation industry here in Australia. As aircraft are not really that normal in size or accessability we are forever having to get exemptions from laws so we can do work that we have done for over 30 years (on jumbo's for example).
High places
Confined Spaces
quarrantined gooods
Ladder use etc. the list could go on and on.
The company used the OH & S laws to shut down heavy maint in Sydney by making aircraft turntime for a D Check (biggest check of them all, every 7 years) go from 35 days to 60 days. Ater the number crunchers looked how ineffeciently the checks were being done they won the arguement to outsource at a lesser cost facility. Result 430 jobs lost or made redundant/redeployed.

TS
12th July 2006, 09:00 PM
OH & S is killing the aviation industry here in Australia. As aircraft are not really that normal in size or accessability we are forever having to get exemptions from laws so we can do work that we have done for over 30 years (on jumbo's for example).
High places
Confined Spaces
quarrantined gooods
Ladder use etc. the list could go on and on.
The company used the OH & S laws to shut down heavy maint in Sydney by making aircraft turntime for a D Check (biggest check of them all, every 7 years) go from 35 days to 60 days. Ater the number crunchers looked how ineffeciently the checks were being done they won the arguement to outsource at a lesser cost facility. Result 430 jobs lost or made redundant/redeployed.

At least you won't be fallen to death, but strave to death instead.