PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a spider tour putter to 33 inch?

ruley
21st January 2018, 05:57 PM
Hey there,

As the title says, anyone done it and what weights did you use if any to weight it back up?

I've just ordered some 10g weights taking a punt, haven't cut it yet.... still time in the day!

Cheers,

dowdsy
22nd January 2018, 10:17 AM
I just cut down my TM Ardmore mallet to 33. I blew the grip off and cut 50mm of the shaft with a pipe cutter and slid the grip back on. I have not played with the weights yet it feels fine. Its heaps better for me as I have long arms stops me pulling putts, well mostly haha

Captain Nemo
22nd January 2018, 10:36 AM
Hey there,As the title says, anyone done it and what weights did you use if any to weight it back up?I've just ordered some 10g weights taking a punt, haven't cut it yet.... still time in the day!Cheers,What weights are in there?

Daves
22nd January 2018, 10:38 AM
Hey there,

As the title says, anyone done it and what weights did you use if any to weight it back up?

I've just ordered some 10g weights taking a punt, haven't cut it yet.... still time in the day!

Cheers,

What is its original length and weights?

3Puttpete
22nd January 2018, 10:51 AM
I just cut down my TM Ardmore mallet to 33. I blew the grip off and cut 50mm of the shaft with a pipe cutter and slid the grip back on. I have not played with the weights yet it feels fine. Its heaps better for me as I have long arms stops me pulling putts, well mostly hahaYou're going to try it before making any changes? There's a revolutionary idea.

I'm sure there's a chart somewhere that says you're gonna mess with the flex and there's no possible way it'll work.

mrbluu
22nd January 2018, 02:08 PM
Hey there,

Cheers,I don't like a heavy head putter so when I cut my putters down to 33", I prefer to put weights about halfway down the shaft.

dowdsy
22nd January 2018, 05:04 PM
You're going to try it before making any changes? There's a revolutionary idea.

I'm sure there's a chart somewhere that says you're gonna mess with the flex and there's no possible way it'll work.

I had experimented with my old Mizuno putter after reading an article on putter length and how to measure for each individual. So I cut my Mizuno down 1/2 inch at a time finally ending up with 33 and it sits exactly where it should according to the fitting process I read about. Because I could only buy a 35 inch TM putter the other week and after trying it and putting like crap I cut it down to 33 and its great now. I say if it works go with it, whats the worst that can happen a new shaft for like 30 bucks.

3Puttpete
22nd January 2018, 05:55 PM
Amen.

At the very least try it before doing anything else.

ruley
22nd January 2018, 06:36 PM
What weights are in there?

What is its original length and weights?

2x2g and 34 inch.

I've played with it for a couple of weeks now, I like the heavier head feel and when I've cut in the past it always annoys me the lighter feel. Part of the reason I'm tooling with the spider is so I can easily play about with weights.

Regards "fitted" length, 32.5-33.5 is about right for me.

Cheers,

Captain Nemo
22nd January 2018, 06:44 PM
You're going to try it before making any changes? There's a revolutionary idea. I'm sure there's a chart somewhere that says you're gonna mess with the flex and there's no possible way it'll work. What’s the flex your speaking of?

ruley
22nd January 2018, 06:52 PM
What’s the flex your speaking of?

The illusive P flex.... comes into play with any put over 40 ft :lol:

dowdsy
22nd January 2018, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=3puttpete;1369581]Amen. <br>
<br>
At the very least try it before doing anything else.[/QUOTE

Flex?

3Puttpete
22nd January 2018, 11:38 PM
No flex.

It was an obviously too subtle reference to the chorus of warnings about stiffening a shaft when shortening it.

dowdsy
23rd January 2018, 10:04 AM
No flex.

It was an obviously too subtle reference to the chorus of warnings about stiffening a shaft when shortening it.

Obviously

Lagerlover
23rd January 2018, 10:07 AM
Obviously Hahaha.

Ferrins
10th May 2018, 08:53 AM
Got a DJ model and really like it. Really like to throw it in the f...,,, lake!

Captain Nemo
10th May 2018, 09:37 AM
Bwahahaha....
Do it!

okitoki
10th May 2018, 12:09 PM
I am considering to cut my SC Squareback from 34 maybe down to 32 so I can stand over the ball easier (and also the grip doesnt scrape against my belly :D )

I have also ordered a Flat Cat Solution with the heavier weight below the grip; Would this "balance" out the shorter length by giving it a heavier feel to the head?

thanks

ruley
10th May 2018, 07:47 PM
I didn't end up cutting but I did put 2x10g weights in the spider.... felt heaps better and I putted well with it. Was other things that shat me so I ordered a 2018 SC fastback at 34 with 20g weights to get away from the insert!